Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bates
(11-21-2021, 10:39 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I agree. Although I love his honesty, fact is, he’s getting paid based on what he does next and first 9 games will be considered in the negotiating.

Right on. Even if he plays at a high level from here on, we can't pretend the first half of the season didn't happen.

Tbh, it's been a theme for his career. Some seasons, he's looked great, others he looked average at best.

I don't want to pay this guy for what he is at his best, when his best only happens 50% of the time. If that. So if we can get him at an average price, good. If not, I'd let him walk.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2021, 11:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We could stick with the LSU theme and bring in The Honey Badger.

We could save some loot and draft one. Lots of good ones this year (Kyle Hamilton will be long gone:
Daxton Hill
Lewis Cine
Jordan Battle
Brandon Joseph
Jalen Catalon

In house we could go with Ricardo or Thomas and use the money elsewhere.
The honey badger is an ASS

want no part of him on his team. Doesn’t fit the culture Zac wants.

I’ll say it again, honey badger is an ass
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2021, 11:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We could stick with the LSU theme and bring in The Honey Badger.

We could save some loot and draft one. Lots of good ones this year (Kyle Hamilton will be long gone:
Daxton Hill
Lewis Cine
Jordan Battle
Brandon Joseph
Jalen Catalon

My mistake. I thought you said upgrade.

(11-21-2021, 11:50 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I made a mistake saying “opposite of Waynes”

Waynes has to go. Keep Hilton and awuzie

I figured that's what you meant; it's why I didn’t point it out. Cutting Waynes is something we can all agree on.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 12:12 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: My mistake. I thought you said upgrade.

Well I'd think everyone but you and Frank would consider the Honey Badger an upgrade. 

He was given as the only direct upgrade, the rest were shown to illustrate an overall upgrade.

But just focusing on player 4 player:

Marcus Williams

Jabril Peppers

Lamarcus Joyner

Xavier Woods

Justin Reid

are just a few having a better season than Jessie
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's amazing the blistering the front office was taking just a few short months ago for not giving Bates a huge contract, now no one wants him..... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2021, 09:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Certainly seemed to be playing faster and better than he has, now that his head is out of the way again.

Missed a tackle (almost seemed to underestimate Waller's speed...which I get) early, but balled out the rest of the game.  Was playing fast and aggressive.  Made what could have been the tackle of the season thus far on 3rd and 2 that he blew up for a no gain.  Forced a punt while the Bengals were up just 4 at that point.  I thought that tackle was the turning point of the game.

Way to go, Jesse!  I knew it was there.  Now, pick off the pig, make the playoffs, and get that contract.  Want you to retire a Bengal!
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2021, 09:43 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: A guy who played mediocre the first half of the season admits to being in a bad mind state

Can’t pay a guy like that. Sorry

And you will replace him with....
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2021, 10:28 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: We have a hole at the corner back spot opposite from waynes. Germaine Pratt isn’t good. More quality d-line depth would be nice. Also have to fix the o-line

I just think there’s too much money that has to be spent elsewhere to fix more glaring issues

The cap is going up....way up.  And you don't want to lock in a guy that over his CAREER has been a top 5 safety in the toughest division in the NFL?  He is YOUNGER than Joe Burrow.  

The money will be saved by cutting Waynes, not letting Jesse walk.  

No way, no how, do I let Bates go.  His team loves him and so do I.  

FWIW, I have NEVER seen a player say what he did during the bye....and during a contract week.  That kind of self-awareness is truly rare in entitled athletes.  Love Jesse Bates.  

I believe he will finish strong.  The Bengals will make the playoffs.  Jesse will be signed long-term.  
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 12:22 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Well I'd think everyone but you and Frank would consider the Honey Badger an upgrade. 

He was given as the only direct upgrade, the rest were shown to illustrate an overall upgrade.

But just focusing on player 4 player:

Marcus Williams

Jabril Peppers

Lamarcus Joyner

Xavier Woods

Justin Reid

are just a few having a better season than Jessie

No you're right. I'd WAY rather have a safety at the tail end of his career than a young one. What the hell am I thinking. 

You're also ignoring things like scheme, knowledge of the defense, playing time in the defense. Oh we also have to convince those guys (who will likely be in high demand) to come to Cincinnati.

I'm sure your Madden team is stacked, though.
Reply/Quote

Daxton Hill
Lewis Cine
Jordan Battle
Brandon Joseph
Jalen Catalon

I'd like to keep Bates, but there could be a price difference in the negotiations at this point.  Lewis Cine is the one that stands out on that list you provided.  He'd be a nice second rounder if it came down to it.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 09:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The cap is going up....way up.  And you don't want to lock in a guy that over his CAREER has been a top 5 safety in the toughest division in the NFL?  He is YOUNGER than Joe Burrow.  

The money will be saved by cutting Waynes, not letting Jesse walk.  

No way, no how, do I let Bates go.  His team loves him and so do I.  

FWIW, I have NEVER seen a player say what he did during the bye....and during a contract week.  That kind of self-awareness is truly rare in entitled athletes.  Love Jesse Bates.  

I believe he will finish strong.  The Bengals will make the playoffs.  Jesse will be signed long-term.  

PAY. THE. MAN. beep boop ctrl f
f5 f5 f5
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 09:44 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It's amazing the blistering the front office was taking just a few short months ago for not giving Bates a huge contract, now no one wants him..... Hilarious

I've been consistent. I didn't roast the FO for not extending him. I figured he and his agent were probably trying to get paid top dollar based on his play last year. I wanted to see more before making that type of commitment, because we have a lot of great young talent that will eventually need extended.

Sure enough, he's been a flop this year, to be blunt about it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'm ready to let him walk. A step or two behind almost every play it seems and he got burned for two TDs today. I doubt that he gets his head on straight anytime soon.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
He’s been beyond disappointing. With Hendrickson reeking havoc on opposing QB’s on a weekly basis Bates should really be racking up the picks. Yet he only has one on the season. One.

He’s never been a very good tackler so if he’s not a ball hawking center fielder type safety he’s really not bringing much to the table. He also only has like 2 PD all year.

Team friendly deal or let him test FA.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 09:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: FWIW, I have NEVER seen a player say what he did during the bye....and during a contract week.  That kind of self-awareness is truly rare in entitled athletes.  Love Jesse Bates.  

Probably the reason you had never heard a guy in that position say that is that all the others were busting ass to play BETTER in the final year of their contract.

Seriously, I have never heard of a guy playing WORSE when trying to earn a better contract.
Reply/Quote
Not signing Bates looks like the right move. Let him test FA, see who is available in FA or draft a guy. I feel like If he played as well as he was playing last year there would be no way teams could push balls downfield on the D.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 09:55 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Not signing Bates looks like the right move. Let him test FA, see who is available in FA or draft a guy. I feel like If he played as well as he was playing last year there would be no way teams could push balls downfield on the D.

that game didnt help his negotiations thats for sure
Reply/Quote
Bates will stay here at a fair price. The grass ain't greener on the other side.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 11:50 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: No you're right. I'd WAY rather have a safety at the tail end of his career than a young one. What the hell am I thinking. 

You're also ignoring things like scheme, knowledge of the defense, playing time in the defense. Oh we also have to convince those guys (who will likely be in high demand) to come to Cincinnati.

I'm sure your Madden team is stacked, though.

I'm not entirely sure what you were thinking.

Bates performance against LAC:

Targeted: 5
Receptions Allowed: 5
Yards allowed: 85
Passer rating when targeted: 158.3

The next time I play Madden will be the first time I play Madden
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Master Bates looking raw out there
Reply/Quote