Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Beat Writer Paul Dehner
Paul has left the Enquirer for The Athletic It will be interesting to see if the Enquirer brings in a new more senior writer to replace him or leaves the beat to relative newbie Fletcher Page and another newbie. Unfortunately for fans, Fletcher does no interaction with us other than to tweet his articles. I know I still miss Jim O coming here and responding to questions and concerns.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
The Athletic** and yeah, he announced last week he was leaving soon... I'll miss his tweets Sad

Though, he still will be commenting on the team, just from the Athletic's, POV.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I liked their Bengals Beat podcast.
Reply/Quote
Some people thought he was a negative ass-hat. I thought he was ok. Did a great job covering the Bengals.

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 03:33 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: I liked their Bengals Beat podcast.

He'll be spearheading podcasts at the Athletic, he says.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
The Athletic has a paywall though...
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 01:29 PM)pally Wrote: Paul has left the Enquirer for The Athletic It will be interesting to see if the Enquirer brings in a new more senior writer to replace him or leaves the beat to relative newbie Fletcher Page and another newbie. Unfortunately for fans, Fletcher does no interaction with us other than to tweet his articles. I know I still miss Jim O coming here and responding to questions and concerns.

First we lose Jim O and now Paul?

Hope they can bring in someone that will interact with us. It is going to be one of the most exciting seasons in memory. Think it would be a great time for a writer to come in and enjoy the ride while watching, listening and writing about our up and coming team, HC and our New Dey.
Reply/Quote
My all time favorite Beat writer is Allen Ginsberg.

I once did a coffeehouse reading of "Howl", but with "Mike Brown" replacing "Moloch"

Mike Brown whose mind is pure machinery! Mike Brown whose blood is running money! Mike Brown whose breast is a cannibal dynamo! Mike Brown whose ear is a smoking tomb!

Mike Brown whose love is endless oil and stone! Mike Brown whose soul is electricity and banks! Mike Brown whose poverty is the specter of genius! Mike Brown whose fate is a cloud of sexless hydrogen! Mike Brown whose name is the Mind!
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 03:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My all time favorite Beat writer is Allen Ginsberg.

I once did a coffeehouse reading of "Howl", but with "Mike Brown" replacing "Moloch"

Mike Brown whose mind is pure machinery! Mike Brown whose blood is running money! Mike Brown whose breast is a cannibal dynamo! Mike Brown whose ear is a smoking tomb!

Mike Brown whose love is endless oil and stone! Mike Brown whose soul is electricity and banks! Mike Brown whose poverty is the specter of genius! Mike Brown whose fate is a cloud of sexless hydrogen! Mike Brown whose name is the Mind!

Mike Brown whose blood is running money!      -   I guess so

Mike Brown whose ear is a smoking tomb!        -    just one of his ears ?  what about the other ?

Mike Brown whose poverty is the specter of genius!  -  ok, drives older paid off car & poor compared to some other owners

Mike Brown whose fate is a cloud of sexless hydrogen!   -  say what ?,  Fred

Mike Brown whose breast is a cannibal dynamo!   -   what the hell ?  Fred ?     Confused
Reply/Quote
I will miss Paul and his Podcasts which I thought were very informative. Paul did a good job of not being a homer , was critical of the Bengals when needed and at the same time defended them when they made good moves. I felt the same way with Jim O. Both had a good sense of humor which I appreciated. They both provided criticism of the Bengals that you can’t find with a Hobson article.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 02:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: First we lose Jim O and now Paul?

Hope they can bring in someone that will interact with us. It is going to be one of the most exciting seasons in memory. Think it would be a great time for a writer to come in and enjoy the ride while watching, listening and writing about our up and coming team, HC and our New Dey.

Seems like a quick turnover. I liked Jim O. because he seemed personable. Paul was unremarkable in my opinion. I wonder if anyone will ever come into the job and tell it like it is? I imagine they have to be more positive than negative or be run out of the stadium by the team.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 04:47 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Seems like a quick turnover. I liked Jim O. because he seemed personable. Paul was unremarkable in my opinion. I wonder if anyone will ever come into the job and tell it like it is? I imagine they have to be more positive than negative or be run out of the stadium by the team.

Yeah, i liked Jim O a lot better than Paul that is for sure.

Dude went out of his way to interact with us, they got a great one in Green Bay.

Paul was pretty negative though and stuck around awhile.

Need somebody that has no bias one way or the other, Jim O was like that, Hobspin is totally biased for the organization.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 03:53 PM)depthchart Wrote: Mike Brown whose blood is running money!      -   I guess so

Mike Brown whose ear is a smoking tomb!        -    just one of his ears ?  what about the other ?

Mike Brown whose poverty is the specter of genius!  -  ok, drives older paid off car & poor compared to some other owners

Mike Brown whose fate is a cloud of sexless hydrogen!   -  say what ?,  Fred

Mike Brown whose breast is a cannibal dynamo!   -   what the hell ?  Fred ?     Confused

Well, okay, I cans see where not all of it works.  The response of the coffee house crowd was also subdued.  But not many people know that when Mike was playing QB at Dartmouth his nickname was Cannibal Dynamo Breast Brown.  And "Howl" was published in 1956 when Mike was a junior at Dartmouth.
Reply/Quote
They ruined the Bengals Beat Podcast. It's too bad Paul left.

Anyone have some recommendations on other podcasts?
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 05:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, i liked Jim O a lot better than Paul that is for sure.

Dude went out of his way to interact with us, they got a great one in Green Bay.

Paul was pretty negative though and stuck around awhile.

Need somebody that has no bias one way or the other, Jim O was like that, Hobspin is totally biased for the organization.

I liked that Jim O interacted with us, but he seemed to generally shy away from outright negativity. I prefer guys that will rip into the organization when deserved. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 04:47 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Seems like a quick turnover. I liked Jim O. because he seemed personable. Paul was unremarkable in my opinion. I wonder if anyone will ever come into the job and tell it like it is? I imagine they have to be more positive than negative or be run out of the stadium by the team.

Yeah, I guess if you're wanting guys to talk to you, pissing them off is not the way to go.  But you should be able to tell it like it is.  A fine line they have to walk.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 09:51 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: They ruined the Bengals Beat Podcast. It's too bad Paul left.

Anyone have some recommendations on other podcasts?

I listen to:

Locked on Bengals.  It's a daily podcast but both guys are out of town so they aren't in the locker room. Joe Goodberry and Jake (can't think of his lat name)
Bengals Booth Podcast.  Hoard and Lapham.  Probably the best one.  Right now I think they are every other week but will go weekly once games start.
Cincy Jungle/Orange and Black Insider.  A couple of times a week.  The main guy is out of LA but the co-host is local, John Sheeran
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 03:48 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Some people thought he was a negative ass-hat. I thought he was ok. Did a great job covering the Bengals.

Paul was fine. However, I think Jim O. was more engaging with the fan base and therefore more well-liked.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I believe Dehner has said he'll be starting up his podcast during TC at some point.

Also, Fletcher Page is gone from the Bengals best and focuses squarely on UC now.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
The Athletic is poaching some pretty decent talent... Still not going to pay for it though.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote