Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beating Oakland
Pound the rock with Jeremy Hill and hit Eifert, Jones, and AJ on some play action. That'll probably be how we beat most teams this year tbh.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There are no easy wins in the NFL, but we are a better team than the Raiders. We also shouldn't have any rookies in our starting lineup that are not up to speed yet. So we should handle them easily even on the road.

Nice to get one of our west coast trips out of the way when we are the freshest we will be all season.
Reply/Quote
They need to go a week early to get adjusted to west coast hours.

This is a must win game.

I am hoping that Andy morphs into Ken Anderson this year. It could happen. You youngsters have no idea how much the fans were on Anderson prior to the 1981 season. It all just clicked for him that year.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 06:40 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Maybe a bit early, but our first opponent is Oakland.  What's the secret to beating them?  (The Bengals have never beaten them in Oakland)

Move the chains on offense. Build a lead. Stop Latavious Murray. Force Carr into checking to secondary / tertiary receivers, and get consistent pressure. Oakland is one of the more talent deficient rosters in the league thanks to past mgmt and Reggie McKenzie, so wearing them down in the second half of the game will also be key.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Pretty much what Fred said. Every NFL team has talent, but lets be honest. The Bengals have no business losing to the Raiders. As long as this team is well prepared, I see no reasons why they should lose to such an inferior squad.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 01:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There are no easy wins in the NFL, but we are a better team than the Raiders.  We also shouldn't have any rookies in our starting lineup that are not up to speed yet.  So we should handle them easily even on the road.

Nice to get one of our west coast trips out of the way when we are the freshest we will be all season.

The worst part about playing them on opening day...Jack Del Rio. Not saying he's HOF or anything. Just that he's a new HC and the Bengals don't have a stellar track record against new/first time head coaches. Carr, though i think he'll be average in the long run, has a year under his belt too. 

As much as anything, this game could come down to Super Marvio's in-game adjustments.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 03:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Pretty much what Fred said. Every NFL team has talent, but lets be honest. The Bengals have no business losing to the Raiders. As long as this team is well prepared, I see no reasons why they should lose to such an inferior squad.

Neither do I. Yet, how many times has that been said in the past? 

Ok, enough about the negativity. Forget about the first time HC, the West coast, the lack of talent, 2nd year QB. 

Kick some silver and black ass.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 01:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: And get Jeremy Hill 22 carries.

Yep, and >30 pass attempts.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Run Hill 25 times and set the tone for the year. Intimidate and frustrate them with him getting 5 yards a pop.

Then, when they start playing 9 men in the box, you either hit AJ on the outside being single-covered or you hit the tight ends up the seams. When they start selling out to stop AJ, you hit the TEs up the seam, or vice-versa.

That actually should be our typical plan for most of the year, but especially since Oakland will most likely struggle against the run again this year. Granted that they did improve a lot with some guys (Williams, Lofton, M Smith), but I think we make them prove it. Set the tempo for the season and let every team in the NFL know that we're coming to jam the ball down your throat. Hill dominated some better defenses than that last year, so put the rest of the league on notice that they better start game planning for him right now.

On defense, bring the pressure because Carr struggles under pressure, but Oakland has a good pass blocking line, so we need to blitz people and hope that Geno and MJ being back to form helps the rest of the d-line get pressure because we don't want to leave Dre and Dennard (if he starts) hanging out to dry against Cooper and Crabtree.

Latavius Murray could also cause us problems, so we need our front 4 (actually, our entire front 7) to be stout.
Reply/Quote
We really need to win TOP and get up early. We do that and Oakland has to play from behind. Take the crowd out of the game. We win in that scenario.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 04:11 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Neither do I. Yet, how many times has that been said in the past? 

Ok, enough about the negativity. Forget about the first time HC, the West coast, the lack of talent, 2nd year QB. 

Kick some silver and black ass.

That's the spirit.  Rock On
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
No team can be overlooked and that's the case with the Raiders especially playing on the road.
Play to our strengths & don't turn the ball over= WIN
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 01:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There are no easy wins in the NFL, but we are a better team than the Raiders.  We also shouldn't have any rookies in our starting lineup that are not up to speed yet.  So we should handle them easily even on the road.

This x 2
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
I have 2 tickets to the game if anyone is interested. Section 331 row 2. Let me know!
[Image: BernLocksig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Win the LOS, the turnover battle, run Hill with more than 20 carries, get pressure on Carr and stop the run...

We can do all of this if we are healthy. We are the better team when healthy period.

BTW, not saying that Oakland is a bad team either, they should be much improved this year. But still, we are the better team when healthy.
Reply/Quote
Cant believe I overlooked how Oakland did Hue wrong and that Hue must be jumping at the bit to give them a whoopin.

Hopefully this means the offense will have an awesome day.

I definitely think there will be some bite to the offensive playcalling, if Hue does indeed hold a grudge (I would).
Reply/Quote
& you know he does too.
Reply/Quote