Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Because you all knew someone would post this eventually
If Saquon Barkley never gets that long term contract from the Giants should we have him on the radar? Let’s pretend Saquon’s legal team is asking for 3yr/45M, with 22M guaranteed. So around 15M per year average.

Let’s say he has a healthy, career year and is regarded as a top 3 RB.

What players would you let go to have Barkley next offseason? Only rule is you can’t cut someone who is a free agent next offseason. So no saying just let Irv walk. Can’t cut someone you don’t have the rights to.

So please correct me if I’m wrong but when you sign contracts with signing bonuses doesn’t the team have to have the bonus money in the bank? So if Barkley gets 3yr/45M with 22M guaranteed don’t we have to have 22M plus what his bases alert would end up being? (Around 7.5M)? So if that was the hypothetical contract wouldn’t we have to have at minimum 30M on hand to give him? Once again i don’t know so please correct me if I’m wrong. Don’t have to be a dick about it.

So under my scenario we have to shave off 30M from existing players. I don’t have info on cap hits and penalties so sorry but i have to make this list as if cutting someone cleanly takes them off your cap numbers with no penalties.

La’el Collins, Mixon and BJ Hill would be around 30M right there, with a possible Nick Scott cut if we wanted to shave off 3 more million.

This pictured as a theoretical trade would be Mixon, Hill and Collins for Saquon Barkley. Starting RB, backup RT and rotation DT.

Would that be too much? Is that simply too many rotational guys to sacrifice for one guy? Who views this as a good deal?
Keep in mind we don’t really have solid replacements for Hill or Collins yet. So those would create draft holes.

For reference here are some cap numbers. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap//
-Housh
Reply/Quote
No.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
1. Don't pay RBs
2. He will be heading into his age 27 season
3. He's only had 1 good year out of the last 3
4. The Giants will likely treat him like a rented mule on the franchise tag
5. Don't pay RBs

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 04:10 PM)Housh Wrote: If Saquon Barkley never gets that long term contract from the Giants should we have him on the radar? Let’s pretend Saquon’s legal team is asking for 3yr/45M, with 22M guaranteed. So around 15M per year average.

Let’s say he has a healthy, career year and is regarded as a top 3 RB.

What players would you let go to have Barkley next offseason? Only rule is you can’t cut someone who is a free agent next offseason. So no saying just let Irv walk. Can’t cut someone you don’t have the rights to.

So please correct me if I’m wrong but when you sign contracts with signing bonuses doesn’t the team have to have the bonus money in the bank? So if Barkley gets 3yr/45M with 22M guaranteed don’t we have to have 22M plus what his bases alert would end up being? (Around 7.5M)? So if that was the hypothetical contract wouldn’t we have to have at minimum 30M on hand to give him? Once again i don’t know so please correct me if I’m wrong. Don’t have to be a dick about it.

So under my scenario we have to shave off 30M from existing players. I don’t have info on cap hits and penalties so sorry but i have to make this list as if cutting someone cleanly takes them off your cap numbers with no penalties.

La’el Collins, Mixon and BJ Hill would be around 30M right there, with a possible Nick Scott cut if we wanted to shave off 3 more million.

This pictured as a theoretical trade would be Mixon, Hill and Collins for Saquon Barkley. Starting RB, backup RT and rotation DT.

Would that be too much? Is that simply too many rotational guys to sacrifice for one guy? Who views this as a good deal?
Keep in mind we don’t really have solid replacements for Hill or Collins yet. So those would create draft holes.

For reference here are some cap numbers. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap//

No. Spend that money retaining our guys (Burrow, Higgins, Wilson, Reader, Chido, Boyd, Chase, Hendrickson) or on a stud OL/DL/DB. 
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 05:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 1. Don't pay RBs
2. He will be heading into his age 27 season
3. He's only had 1 good year out of the last 3
4. The Giants will likely treat him like a rented mule on the franchise tag
5. Don't pay RBs

And don't pay RB's lol
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 04:10 PM)Housh Wrote: What players would you let go to have Barkley next offseason?

None. Aside from the fact that he's as big of a risk when it comes to health as he is as a reward for his performance when he's healthy, the Bengals already have too many "big ticket" players to be concerned with.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Everything we have should be used for keeping our own guys. We're that good now. If a street FA TE or affordable RB comes available so be it, but I'm not making a Barkley move.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And don't pay RB's lol

Has anyone said don't pay RB's ?  Ninja
Reply/Quote
No, I think he would be a mistake. Kind of a diva
Reply/Quote
Just signed a non tag 1 year 11M deal with i think incentives to get 2 more million.

If that’s the market for a young generational back coming off 1300 yards then backs are done getting paid. If i was a back I’d go to it team with less money but more years. I think backs need to start valuing years more than money.

If Jacob’s can get say a 5 year deal for about 6 million per, do the Raiders say no? Just guarantee the first 3-4 years and make the last one voidable. That pays the back, and secures him and the team for years.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-previewing-the-top-10-draft-eligible-running-backs-in-college-football?utm_source=Web&utm_medium=editorial&utm_campaign=2024_nfl_draft&utm_content=article

A lot of good RBs eligible for the next draft.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 01:56 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-previewing-the-top-10-draft-eligible-running-backs-in-college-football?utm_source=Web&utm_medium=editorial&utm_campaign=2024_nfl_draft&utm_content=article

A lot of good RBs eligible for the next draft.

I think Trayveon is the 1st one gone.

He’s gonna have an amazing year
-Housh
Reply/Quote