Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Been Awhile...This Franchise is Still a Circus...What else is New?
(02-16-2018, 07:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Hey there, brother!  Yup, we're in the same boat. And if this team slips up in the slightest way, I think that boat will become filled to capacity.

Apathy is a dangerous thing for any business. And it just seems to me that Mike's going to be reminded of that in a big way this season. I can't remember seeing less interest or faith in this team than I do right now. And that includes much of the 90's.  I just get the impression, even outside of here, that most people are thinking "Who cares?".  That's not good. lol

I think it may already be filled to capacity. Funny how back in the day folks like me and you were in the huge minority; how times have changed. I suppose that is also a reason why I don't participate as much; we actually have consensus on the majority of issues regarding this franchise. A prime example of this, people actually used to buy that hobson garbage about spending in free agency.....now nobody does. This year i wouldn't be surprised if the stadium is half empty.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 01:17 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Well, to be fair...

When you have a fan base that loathes long standing ownership, tenured head coach, and the franchise QB...  yeah, it's gonna be negative in there.

Plus.  Like Toast said.  It's the same go around year in and out.

Only the firing Alexander and future draft picks get the ol' needle moving in terms of enthusiasm.

To be honest with you the draft has lost it's luster as well for many.

II seems like WJ Iii may be the only one that has stood out recently and perhaps Lawson.

That's a lot of striking out on picks.

Being a team that doesn't splash in FA that doesn't bring much hope to many posters.

No perhaps about it, Lawson was a great pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 01:17 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Well, to be fair...

When you have a fan base that loathes long standing ownership, tenured head coach, and the franchise QB...  yeah, it's gonna be negative in there.

Plus.  Like Toast said.  It's the same go around year in and out.

Only the firing Alexander and future draft picks get the ol' needle moving in terms of enthusiasm.

To be honest with you the draft has lost it's luster as well for many.

II seems like WJ Iii may be the only one that has stood out recently and perhaps Lawson.

That's a lot of striking out on picks.

Being a team that doesn't splash in FA that doesn't bring much hope to many posters.

I agree that the fan base is not a fan of ownership; however, that is no reason to piss and moan about every move.

Lots to be optimistic about. Including the fact that we ended last year on a high note and knocked a division rival out of the playoffs at their house.

On offense we have an OC that has his first year of working with the team on the off season and perhaps picking some of his guys, Same can be said for the oline coach. Joe Mixon flashed at the end of last year, Tyler Kroft flashed once he took over TE, and we have a "free" first rounder this year in John Ross. Given the oline struggled but Boling showed promise at LT, and Westerman got some quality PT.

On D, we have a brand new DC that is only a couple years away from having a top 2 D in the NFL. WJIII appears to be a future shutdown CB, Darquese Dennard is finally making hay at nickle. Carl Lawson has shown he's one of the best young pass rushers in the NFL; Jordan Willis looks to be solid and we have 3 of the best in the league in Geno, Carlos, and Burfict.

I will choose to be optimistic; unfortunately, it is an attitude that is in short supply in this forum and the OP has proven to be a Pied Piper; for which those that choose to be mad have and will follow. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 08:49 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Really the only thing new is that Jungle Noise is no longer a place for an optimistic Bengal fan. You will fit right in, but I find myself venturing more and more into the other forums. 

The positivity quotient is directly equal to the quality of the product on the field.  It's no more complicated than that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 05:02 PM)McC Wrote: The positivity quotient is directly equal to the quality of the product on the field.  It's no more complicated than that.

Actually the positivity quotient is directly equal to the attitude of the members. 

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 05:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually the positivity quotient is directly equal to the attitude of the members. 

Gee, and how is that attitude determined?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 05:45 PM)McC Wrote: Gee, and how is that attitude determined?

By the individual. Some choose to see half empty, some choose to see half full. 

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 01:59 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I think it may already be filled to capacity. Funny how back in the day folks like me and you were in the huge minority; how times have changed. I suppose that is also a reason why I don't participate as much; we actually have consensus on the majority of issues regarding this franchise. A prime example of this, people actually used to buy that hobson garbage about spending in free agency.....now nobody does. This year i wouldn't be surprised if the stadium is half empty.

My concern is you seem too happy to say I told you so and pat yourself on the back. I hope I made  mistake giving up my tickets in 2018 and they prove me wrong, you it seems would rather be correct. So congrats I guess on being miserable ll those years.  Smirk
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 10:24 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: It's a sad day when SHRacerx losses his hope. This dude has been a ray of sunshine for as long as I have been on here. Sadly, this is how I've felt for last few years now...The Pitt debacle sent me into more of a protect my emotions/lower my expectations mode. I have become pessimistic about this team. Still my favorite team, but I am starting to feel some sort of way about them. Hopefully one day it'll be worth it.

I can relate to SHRx. I have given up all hope of seeing another SB by the Bengals in my lifetime.  I continue to write "useless" wastebasket filler" letters to Mike Brown and to check out this Message Board for Yuks. Thank you all for keeping me entertained. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 05:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: By the individual. Some choose to see half empty, some choose to see half full. 

Well, tbh, it’s one today and the other tomorrow. Hellova roller coaster we are on currently.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 03:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree that the fan base is not a fan of ownership; however, that is no reason to piss and moan about every move.

Lots to be optimistic about. Including the fact that we ended last year on a high note and knocked a division rival out of the playoffs at their house.

On offense we have an OC that has his first year of working with the team on the off season and perhaps picking some of his guys, Same can be said for the oline coach. Joe Mixon flashed at the end of last year, Tyler Kroft flashed once he took over TE, and we have a "free" first rounder this year in John Ross. Given the oline struggled but Boling showed promise at LT, and Westerman got some quality PT.

On D, we have a brand new DC that is only a couple years away from having a top 2 D in the NFL. WJIII appears to be a future shutdown CB, Darquese Dennard is finally making hay at nickle. Carl Lawson has shown he's one of the best young pass rushers in the NFL; Jordan Willis looks to be solid and we have 3 of the best in the league in Geno, Carlos, and Burfict.

I will choose to be optimistic; unfortunately, it is an attitude that is in short supply in this forum and the OP has proven to be a Pied Piper; for which those that choose to be mad have and will follow. 

You know you hit the rock bottom of enthusiasm when a rookie kicker loses a camp/pre-season battle yet people still cry about it as if it would have meant something.

So many other big things to be negative about...  yet here we are. Whatever
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'm pinning my hopes for this franchise on Pollack getting max potential out of the O-line.

If they can fix it and Lazor gets a productive offense scheme in place then I'd be happy because it's the achilles of the team.

If a linebacker is available as BPA in the first round they better snatch him up.

My optimism is still in a mire when it comes to Marvin though.  As a fan I don't believe he has what it takes to win it all.

Dalton could catch fire like Flacco, Eli, or other QBs who have a short spurt of greatness.  

So I'm still somewhat optimistic about him, if the above mentioned is addressed.

But hey... ya know...  some(cough cough)don't think that about Dalton.
Reply/Quote
To me first round pick needs to be LT or C - whichever one is not taken in the first gets taken in the second. We have got to fix the OL and fix it now.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 10:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: To me first round pick needs to be LT or C - whichever one is not taken in the first gets taken in the second. We have got to fix the OL and fix it now.

The fan in me wants them to move up their 2nd pick to get Billy Price.

Dude has the mentality to get it done at C.

The o-line is key to the overall success.  No doubt.

However if a great LB is there I wouldn't be disappointed in the 1st .
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 05:02 PM)McC Wrote: The positivity quotient is directly equal to the quality of the product on the field.  It's no more complicated than that.

(02-18-2018, 05:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually the positivity quotient is directly equal to the attitude of the members. 

(02-18-2018, 05:45 PM)McC Wrote: Gee, and how is that attitude determined?

(02-18-2018, 05:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: By the individual. Some choose to see half empty, some choose to see half full.

That's a broad brush and only marginally true. I'm not a half empty guy, based on the way i'm always there on Sunday and how, deep down, i always want them to win regardless of the consequences. But at this point, it takes very little for that wick to burn out and the negativity to go boom. It's the body of work that affects the attitude. 

You have to look pretty hard around here after a win to find very many negatives and those people are the small group that your half full/half empty points to.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 11:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's a broad brush and only marginally true. I'm not a half empty guy, based on the way i'm always there on Sunday and how, deep down, i always want them to win regardless of the consequences. But at this point, it takes very little for that wick to burn out and the negativity to go boom. It's the body of work that affects the attitude. 

You have to look pretty hard around here after a win to find very many negatives and those people are the small group that your half full/half empty points to.

For real?

Hurt our draft pick

Marvin's coming back

Dead Cat Bounce

No changes will be made

I suppose we'll just disagree if you thought it was hard to find folks negative after a win and that they are a small group. 

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 11:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For real?

Hurt our draft pick

Marvin's coming back

Dead Cat Bounce

No changes will be made

I suppose we'll just disagree if you thought it was hard to find folks negative after a win and that they are a small group. 

People were ready for a change before the last 2 games, due of course to the lack of advancing in the playoffs since '03. Instead, the only realistic, best case hope is for another team that makes the playoffs before bowing out in the first round, next year. Same decisions, same results as the last 15 years. 

If Marv took the Bengals to the AFCCG next year and followed that with another team that challenged for the playoffs (win lose or draw), i wouldn't be against another extension if that's what M&M wanted. I don't think the average fan wants too much more than i do. 

I wasn't going to add this part but...i still baffles my mind that people can think--maybe it's that impossible to see or define word "hope"--that the same people, making mostly the same decisions, with most of the same players, are going to get a drastically better result this coming season. 

It's not glass half full vs half empty. It's people willing to settle vs those that are not.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 08:22 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My concern is you seem too happy to say I told you so and pat yourself on the back. I hope I made  mistake giving up my tickets in 2018 and they prove me wrong, you it seems would rather be correct. So congrats I guess on being miserable ll those years.  Smirk

Who says I'm happy? I'm highly annoyed and wish i was proven wrong. I love this team, have for nearly 30 years bro. I'm just more objective about this team and franchise than others, it doesn't make me any less of a fan.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 03:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree that the fan base is not a fan of ownership; however, that is no reason to piss and moan about every move.

But we should be less concerned with which is ‘better’ or which camp is 'larger' and more interested in why people see this team in such different ways in the first place. In both cases what the optimistic and pessimistic standpoints are doing is working in service of motivation. To keep on keeping on. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I feel like we all want to be hopeful. But then, Mike does Mike things like re-sign Marv and now our collective nutsacks feel like they've been kicked by Bruce Lee.

So same ole.
Reply/Quote