Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beer Of Choice?
(05-26-2015, 03:24 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Rogue Chocolate Stout is killer....

Rogue was one of my first dives into craft because of the availability and I'm glad I tried their chocolate stout. Nowadays though I only drink Rogue for that and also the Dead Guy Ale which is excellent.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 11:25 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I can't drink much beer.  Diabetes limits me to rum and Diet Coke - 0 carbs.  Cry

Yes Tiger.....but what about the sugars in the Rum?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 07:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes Tiger.....but what about the sugars in the Rum?

There are no sugars in hard liquor. All the sugar is converted to alcohol during the distillation process. However, it does affect your insulin processes regardless.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I would like to add that the Busch Signature Copper Lager is pretty decent, and it's dirt cheap.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 08:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There are no sugars in hard liquor. All the sugar is converted to alcohol during the distillation process. However, it does affect your insulin processes regardless.

Your body converts alcohol to sugar. Simple carbs which is why diabetics have to count to adjust how much insulin they need to take.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 08:16 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Your body converts alcohol to sugar.  Simple carbs which is why diabetics have to count to adjust how much insulin they need to take.

I'm not even at the point where I have to check my sugar levels, so I never really looked into the body's response to alcohol in that way.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 08:28 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm not even at the point where I have to check my sugar levels, so I never really looked into the body's response to alcohol in that way.

My son has been insulin dependent diabetic since he was 4yo. My dad and my sis have both been insulin diabetic since there early 20's. Obviously it's a genetic issue for us and somehow skipped me. But I'm all too familiar with this damned disease.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 08:37 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: My son has been insulin dependent diabetic since he was 4yo.  My dad and my sis have both been insulin diabetic since there early 20's.  Obviously it's a genetic issue for us and somehow skipped me.  But I'm all too familiar with this damned disease.

My grandfather was and father is as insulin dependent diabetic. My weight issues made it hit me sooner than them but I was genetically predisposed to it.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 08:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My grandfather was and father is as insulin dependent diabetic. My weight issues made it hit me sooner than them but I was genetically predisposed to it.

Sounds like you have type II (body doesn't regulate the insulin you are producing properly), my grandmother was like that. My dad, sis, and son all have type I (body isn't producing insulin at all) Which is why they all take insulin. Doesn't matter what the carb is it has to be accounted for. however some carbs are better than others. Sugar, alcohol, white bread (white anything really) are bad and can cause "spikes" in your blood sugar. Good ones like whole grain bread, fruits, vegies...etc, are good and keep blood sugars more even keel.

It's a pain in the ass.
Reply/Quote
Yuengling is my go to beer.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 08:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There are no sugars in hard liquor. All the sugar is converted to alcohol during the distillation process. However, it does affect your insulin processes regardless.

Yes.....but they are broken back down into sugars....no?

My sugar does not spike after a few beers....one shot, however, will spike it.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 09:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes.....but they are broken back down into sugars....no?

My sugar does not spike after a few beers....one shot, however, will spike it.

According to the Diabetic Counselor I went to, 0 carbs in rum. And it actually lowers my readings because as she explained it, the rum occupies the liver and stops it from putting sugar in our blood. On a side note, she also told me she was a drinker. Rolleyes
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 06:47 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: According to the Diabetic Counselor I went to, 0 carbs in rum.  And it actually lowers my readings because as she explained it, the rum occupies the liver and stops it from putting sugar in our blood.  On a side note, she also told me she was a drinker.   Rolleyes

Interesting......you have inspired me to read up some more on this, so I did.  I was always under the impression that the synthesis of hard liquors (typically derived from a mash comprised predominantly of sugar, no matter the type), resulted in the body turning the alcohol back into the sugars it was derived from.  It appears I was misled.  Even beer with it carb content isn't THAT bad for you, because the alcohol content kinda levels everything out.  Actually, the MAIN danger with alcohol consumption is hypoglycemia, so some panelists recommend eating some starches while drinking to diminish that risk......thanks for the input that nudged me toward further research, I learned today. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 11:58 AM)Wyche Wrote: Interesting......you have inspired me to read up some more on this, so I did.  I was always under the impression that the synthesis of hard liquors (typically derived from a mash comprised predominantly of sugar, no matter the type), resulted in the body turning the alcohol back into the sugars it was derived from.  It appears I was misled.  Even beer with it carb content isn't THAT bad for you, because the alcohol content kinda levels everything out.  Actually, the MAIN danger with alcohol consumption is hypoglycemia, so some panelists recommend eating some starches while drinking to diminish that risk......thanks for the input that nudged me toward further research, I learned today. ThumbsUp

Excuse me while I run to the store.

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 12:21 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: ...

Excuse me while I run to the store.

LMAO ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
Lot of good beers listed here.  I tend to prefer the following flavors:

Oktoberfests
Kolsches
Dunkels
Bocks
Double Bocks

With that in mind, my favorite is Spaten's Oktoberfest.  Absolutely love it...can never get enough.  Otherwise, it's Shiner Bock....Shiner is only distributed in about half the country so not sure if it's available in Ohio.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 08:00 PM)basballguy Wrote: Lot of good beers listed here.  I tend to prefer the following flavors:

Oktoberfests
Kolsches
Dunkels
Bocks
Double Bocks

With that in mind, my favorite is Spaten's Oktoberfest.  Absolutely love it...can never get enough.  Otherwise, it's Shiner Bock....Shiner is only distributed in about half the country so not sure if it's available in Ohio.  

Shiner has been in Ohio for a few years. 
But it's a good every day drinker. 

If you like Oktoberfest beers, need to get to Cincy to try Rhinegeist Franz when it is out this fall. Best Oktoberfest I have had
Reply/Quote
yuengling when I can get it. Miller when I can't. But really, beer just fills in those hours when vodka or whiskey isn't available.
Reply/Quote
6 Schlitz's or whatever's free.

Seriously, though I only like lagers or pils. Red Stripe, Stella, Grolsch.

Since moving to Oregon I've been trying and liking a lot of the craft ciders here.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2015, 12:45 AM)Benton Wrote: yuengling when I can get it. Miller when I can't. But really, beer just fills in those hours when vodka or whiskey isn't available.

Yeah, I feel a lot like that. We got a new restaurant where I live and it's classed up southern food. Absolutely outstanding stuff. But it's also a whiskey bar. Sure, you can get other drinks, but when they have such an outstanding whiskey selection it's a shame not to try it out. I tend to be a rye man myself, but I just love rye any way I can get it. Bread, beer, whiskey, etc.

Reply/Quote