Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Before You Go Over Board Remember The Past
(04-30-2017, 10:38 PM)GodFather Wrote: So far it seems like everyone thought we overwhelmingly hit a homer with this years draft giving the Bengals an A overall by the board poll. I absolutely remember though this being the case for the past few years and everyone getting so excited by the draft choices and thinking the Bengals were going far from such draft choices. (to be fair critic grades too)

But were they so great? Here is the past two years to reflect on the Bengal choices. Do you still give them that overwhelming "A" that was perceived in 2015/2016? (Im not talking individual posters but as a whole instead as it should be)

Why am I bringing this up? Because this is usually the reaction every year with very different outcomes as the season began on expectations.

Do I think we had a "great A grade" draft this year? No way, but I also don't think we had a bad one either. There are so many factors involved in the success of these players that its hard to see how they will perform this year, one being coaching and I don't even want to go there because it would warrant its own thread and has already been talked to death.

2015 Draft

1 Cedric Ogbuehi OT
2 Jake Fisher OT
3 Tyler Kroft TE
3 Paul Dawson LB
4 Josh Shaw DB
4 Marcus Hardison DL
5 C.J. Uzomah TE
6 Derron Smith S
7 Mario Alford WR

2016 Draft

1 William Jackson III CB
2 Tyler Boyd WR
3 Nick "Rattail" Vigil LB
4 Andrew Billings DT
5 Christian Westerman OG
6 Cody Core WR
7 Clayton Fejedelem S

This was the point I was trying to make. I think we got a lot of guys with potential...but historically we're lucky to get 2 starters from any draft.

At the time of a draft, fans tend to think...wow...5 of these guys will be starters and upgrades.
Reply/Quote
Ya know, every team and fanbase should be excited about a team's draft. It's kind of what the draft is for...

Obviously nobody can predict the future. Even all the people ragging on the Bears right now will look like idiots if Trubisky becomes a hall of famer. Let us have our fun!!!
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
To temper our optimism...not everyone thought we had a great draft. TSN ranked us as having the worst draft:

NFL Draft grades: Browns, 49ers top class; Raiders, Bengals get schooled
from The Sporting News

Cincinnati Bengals D-

Draft picks: Washington WR John Ross, Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon, Kansas State DE Jordan Willis, Auburn DE Carl Lawson, Tennessee WR Josh Malone, Michigan DT Ryan Glasgow, Memphis K Jake Elliott, Utah C J.J. Dielman, Oklahoma LB Jordan Evans, Houston CB/RB Brandon Wilson, Buffalo TE Mason Schreck

The best thing to say about the rebuilding Bengals is that Glasgow is a good value ... out of 11 picks. Ross was a reach, and Lawson was a free-faller. Both come in with durability issues. Willis is better suited to be a 3-4 edge rusher. They didn’t need a second wideout in Malone, either, and Elliott was taken too early.

About Mixon: For a non-glaring need because of Jeremy Hill and a recovering Giovani Bernard, he’s not worth that kind of backfield risk in the second round. The backlash is bound to make that pick backfire. Between Mixon, Adam Jones and Vontaze Burfict, the Bengals are unrelenting in ignoring controversy.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2017-grades-results-winners-losers-best-worst-browns-49ers-raiders-bears/18hqayqs3zll51g21an59nw2g5
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 10:38 AM)bengals67 Wrote: I fully respect everyone's opinion and I have been mad as hell since they failed to fire Marvin after the Steelers playoff game and for other reasons such as losing Whit.

However, on paper, this draft looks really good . I really do not know how anyone could disagree.

D should be much improved and Ross and Mixon are serious weapons on offense, assuming Marvin plays them.

It is up to Alexander to get the OTs playing at even an average level for NFL OTs and doing something about Bodine who continues to be a serious weakness.

I was actually more angry when they didn't fire after 4-12 and after the playoff loss to San Diego. Him keeping his job after the Pittsburgh loss was predictable unfortunately....
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 11:04 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: To temper our optimism...not everyone thought we had a great draft. TSN ranked us as having the worst draft:

from The Sporting News

Cincinnati Bengals D-

Draft picks: Washington WR John Ross, Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon, Kansas State DE Jordan Willis, Auburn DE Carl Lawson, Tennessee WR Josh Malone, Michigan DT Ryan Glasgow, Memphis K Jake Elliott, Utah C J.J. Dielman, Oklahoma LB Jordan Evans, Houston CB/RB Brandon Wilson, Buffalo TE Mason Schreck

The best thing to say about the rebuilding Bengals is that Glasgow is a good value ... out of 11 picks. Ross was a reach, and Lawson was a free-faller. Both come in with durability issues. Willis is better suited to be a 3-4 edge rusher. They didn’t need a second wideout in Malone, either, and Elliott was taken too early.

About Mixon: For a non-glaring need because of Jeremy Hill and a recovering Giovani Bernard, he’s not worth that kind of backfield risk in the second round. The backlash is bound to make that pick backfire. Between Mixon, Adam Jones and Vontaze Burfict, the Bengals are unrelenting in ignoring controversy.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2017-grades-results-winners-losers-best-worst-browns-49ers-raiders-bears/18hqayqs3zll51g21an59nw2g5

I know the media uses a false narrative (treat him like a criminal) to attack Burfict for on field play. But, to my knowledge the Steelers have more criminals on their roster than the Bengals, yet no media backlash for Ben R. (sexual predator), Bell and Brant = druggies

Burfict should not be on any list because he plays hard. Hines Ward and Rodney Harrision were applauded for hard play as was James Harrison.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 11:04 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: To temper our optimism...not everyone thought we had a great draft. TSN ranked us as having the worst draft:

from The Sporting News

Cincinnati Bengals D-

This guy's review is SO cringe.

Rebuilding? One bad year means rebuilding? I would say "retooling" is a much more appropriate term for what the Bengals are doing this offseason.

And RB was DEFINITELY a need. He wants to talk about injuries with our draft picks, but what about Gio's injury? He mentions it in passing to do his due dillegence, but the fact is that this backfield without Mixon is not championship caliber.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but some people REALLY hate the Bengals. I understand why, considering we're a lightning rod for criticism these days with the character issues and playoff losses, but still.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 11:10 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know the media uses a false narrative (treat him like a criminal) to attack Burfict for on field play. But, to my knowledge the Steelers have more criminals on their roster than the Steelers, yet no media backlash for Ben R. (sexual predator), Bell and Brant = druggies

Burfict should not be on any list because he plays hard. Hines Ward and Rodney Harrision were applauded for hard play as was James Harrison.

To be fair, Bryant and Bell got in trouble for weed, which is legal in however many states nowadays.

But the way the Steelers get a pass is because they have 6 Super Bowl rings. If we want to deflect some of this negative coverage, we have to win. It's the sad but true reality of the NFL.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 11:10 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Burfict should not be on any list because he plays hard. Hines Ward and Rodney Harrision were applauded for hard play as was James Harrison.

I agree with this 100%. Burfict has never done anything outside of the field. On the field, people have problems with his game style. If it was 1970, he would be playing like one of the best. In 2017 he's perceived as dirty player. The thing that pisses me off is the Steeler players still pull that kinda shit and you don't hear too much about it.

Burfict is without a doubt one of our best players, and I for one am glad when teams like the Steelers come into town know they won't be pushing their weight around knowing Burfict is here.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 11:20 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: To be fair, Bryant and Bell got in trouble for weed, which is legal in however many states nowadays.

But the way the Steelers get a pass is because they have 6 Super Bowl rings. If we want to deflect some of this negative coverage, we have to win. It's the sad but true reality of the NFL.

LOL

Weed is not legal in Pennsylvania where Bell was busted
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote