Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Before the Combine changes my mind
I don't consider FA or trades. My picks are based on 1)How the team will be if all free agents sign elsewhere, 2)Who I think the team will draft, not who I would draft, 3)Prospect rankings from CBS

1)I really can't figure out this pick because the teams ahead of the Bengals can go any which way. I think one of the top 4 DE will be here and that will be the pick, most likely not Garrett, so Allen, Thomas or Charlton. My gut tells me Allen will be gone and Thomas is not the Bengals type of DE, so the pick is:

Taco "Chalupa" Charlton, DE 6'6" 272lbs
[Image: 9524439-ncaa-football-hawaii-at-michigan-1-850x560.jpeg]

2. Passed on the LB in the first, but taking a thumper here in the second. Need to replace Mauluga and get younger and more athletic.
Raekwon McMillan, ILB, 6'2" 240lbs
[Image: 14-11-29-FB-1971.jpg]

3. This is a BPA pick with just drafting a WR in the second round last year and Core playing very well at the end of the season, but if this guy is sitting there at the top of the 3rd you have to take him. He's big and physical and will get those tough across the middle 3rd down conversions this team has needed for years.
JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, 6'2" 220lbs
[Image: juju-smith-schuster-and-usc-wr-j-480x2641.jpg]

4a. Seriously doubt the team is interested in paying Zeitler what he can get on the open market and they need to add more size and youth to the O-line.
Isaac Asiata, OG, 6'3" 325lbs
[Image: jpeg]

4b. Rex signs elsewhere, Gio returning from ACL tear, Hill just not that great except at scoring TD's and Peerman is a ST. Time to get some talent and AFC North style RB on the team. We'll see come combine, but rumors are he runs a 4.40 at 250lbs.
D'onta Freeman, RB, 6'1" 250lbs
[Image: 6_4796067.jpg]

5. Going to double dip on DE here with Hunt likely (hopefully) gone and MJ on his last legs. Another Bengals prototype DE overshadowed by the first over pick.
Daeshon Hall, DE, 6'5" 265lbs
[Image: Daeshon%20Hall%20(2)]

6a. Time for a kicker!
Zone Gonzalez, K, 6' 201lbs
[Image: Zane+Gonzalez+Arizona+State+v+Arizona+hbECXUm8h1kl.jpg]

6b. Bengals...We have the meats! He'll need to drop a few lbs, but we need some young big guys to replace Peko and Sims.
Josh Tupou, DT, 6'3" 362
[Image: CU%20UCLA%20Cliff1042-XL.jpg]

7. Late round flyer on a CB that likes to tackle for PS or ST.
Brandon Facyson, 6'2" 191lbs
[Image: 8850427-brandon-facyson-ncaa-football-no...50x560.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think it's solid all over. A few players I don't know about, but I like the double dipping at DE. For LB's Raekwon isn't my favorite, but after Foster, Cunningham, and Davis he's probably one of the top ones remaining. I think JuJu could be really good in this offense and you have to think that both Boyd and Core are going to get better in year 2 after playing well as rookies, Smith could really help open up the field by giving us another talented WR.
Reply/Quote
I don't know if I am completely sold on Charlton but I need to watch more of him. He does fit the "mold" of bigger Defensive Ends but that hasn't paid off with Clark and Hunt so I wouldn't mind switching it up at Defensive End if a guy like Solomon Thomas is available and we go pass rusher in the first. Also, a trade down and still landing Charlton or McDowell would make a lot of sense this year if it wasn't for the fact we already have too many draft selections. Maybe we trade down some to then add more ammo for another trade up to the end of the first and have two first round selections. I like the picks of McMillan and Schuster quite a bit. They would both be good value selections at positions of need. Well done mock overall.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 12:25 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I don't know if I am completely sold on Charlton but I need to watch more of him. He does fit the "mold" of bigger Defensive Ends but that hasn't paid off with Clark and Hunt so I wouldn't mind switching it up at Defensive End if a guy like Solomon Thomas is available and we go pass rusher in the first. Also, a trade down and still landing Charlton or McDowell would make a lot of sense this year if it wasn't for the fact we already have too many draft selections. Maybe we trade down some to then add more ammo for another trade up to the end of the first and have two first round selections. I like the picks of McMillan and Schuster quite a bit. They would both be good value selections at positions of need. Well done mock overall.

I think the difference between Hunt/Clarke and Charlton, is Charlton is a natural athlete that can bend and turn the corner. Hunt and Clarke are just big and strong and their best move (only move?) is a bull rush. Personally I'd take a Thomas over Charlton, but I don't think the Bengals would. Also, Charlton was a 5 star recruit coming out of high school and Clarke was just a 3 and Hunt wasn't rated for obvious reasons. I think the ceiling for Charlton is just way higher than Hunt or Clarke.
Reply/Quote
Love the 4th round, Asiata has been a sleeper I've been keeping my eye on for months now. Foreman probably won't last that long (he is in the draft games though) but would be a steal at that point.

I hope we don't go DE at #9. I don't see Garrett or Allen being there and after that they would all be reaches at that point. A good DE should be available with our 2nd rounder

Also we should have 3 4th and 3 6th rounders if projections are correct
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 01:45 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think the difference between Hunt/Clarke and Charlton, is Charlton is a natural athlete that can bend and turn the corner. Hunt and Clarke are just big and strong and their best move (only move?) is a bull rush. Personally I'd take a Thomas over Charlton, but I don't think the Bengals would. Also, Charlton was a 5 star recruit coming out of high school and Clarke was just a 3 and Hunt wasn't rated for obvious reasons. I think the ceiling for Charlton is just way higher than Hunt or Clarke.

I really need to watch more of Charlton but I also think he is more likely than Solomon just because of his size as the main factor. I was a huge Foster fan for the 9th pick but his should injury and concussion history is scary. Add in that we drafted a LB in Keith Rivers at #9 and it was a colossal failure really makes me re-think the 9 spot a lot more lately. I love Mike Williams but like Thomas he is a guy I just can't see the Bengals adding.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm really hoping that the draft doesn't fall this way. I will be pretty disappointed if we take the 4th DE of the board. I don't think the team goes LB in round 2 - especially for a guy like Raekwon. He doesn't really fit the mold of what this team uses.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 02:59 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm really hoping that the draft doesn't fall this way.  I will be pretty disappointed if we take the 4th DE of the board.  I don't think the team goes LB in round 2 - especially for a guy like Raekwon.  He doesn't really fit the mold of what this team uses.

I think McMillan actually fits exactly what the Bengals use and want LB'ers for. Personally I'd hope we grab one who is a little better in coverage than kwon but if he's the pick I won't be upset at all. I see a lot of Burfict in him with the size and high football IQ. Doesn't play with the same crazy energy Burfict does which has its pluses and minuses. He is also a better athlete than Burfict. Kwon may actually be the best fit at LB For the bengals in the whole draft. I'd prefer Foster in 1 to McMillan in 2, but couldn't complain too much
Reply/Quote
Solid mock. I think my favorite picks are Juju and Asiata. Especially where they are drafted. Great talent at a great spot.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 02:59 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm really hoping that the draft doesn't fall this way. I will be pretty disappointed if we take the 4th DE of the board. I don't think the team goes LB in round 2 - especially for a guy like Raekwon. He doesn't really fit the mold of what this team uses.

How do you know he is the 4th Best DE? It's all guessing. The future is just as likely that Charlton has a 100 sack career as Garrett has a 20 sack career.

I don't buy into the "reach" theory or that any prospect is a finished product or that we can know now who will be the better pro. That's all draft pundit speak and not how teams evaluate prospects.
Reply/Quote
Good work. I like most if not all the guys that you drafted here. I actually have Juju,Hall,& Tupou in one of my mocks.
Taco could be a reach at #9 but he is on the rise and I agree with your assessment on him. McMillan is being underated imo. Freeman could be very,very good...Possibly? Asiata is a solid potential pick. Good kicker but I'm not so sure since they resigned Bullock. I like the K you chose but not sure it happens. I think I prefer Rudy Ford or another solid S here. Your CB pick is solid. VaTech CBs are usually sound.

Nice job Yojimbo!!
Reply/Quote
I think JuJu is going to be a beast in the NFL.  If the Bengals pass on Williams I hope they get JuJu
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 06:31 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: How do you know he is the 4th Best DE? It's all guessing. The future is just as likely that Charlton has a 100 sack career as Garrett has a 20 sack career.

I don't buy into the "reach" theory or that any prospect is a finished product or that we can know now who will be the better pro. That's all draft pundit speak and not how teams evaluate prospects.

My own opinion.  I didn't say that team would be stupid for taking him, I just said I would be disappointed because I feel like he's the 4th DE.  Chances are if he goes at #9, he will be the 4th DE off the board (Garrett, Allen, Thomas)
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 03:01 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: My own opinion.  I didn't say that team would be stupid for taking him, I just said I would be disappointed because I feel like he's the 4th DE.  Chances are if he goes at #9, he will be the 4th DE off the board (Garrett, Allen, Thomas)

Ah. Yeah if three DEs go before the Bengals pick, I would think Fournette or the safety Adams might still be there and would be a better pick. It's possible the Bengals scouts will rank Charlton ahead of Allen and Thomas and think it's a steal if they get him after those two.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 03:43 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Ah. Yeah if three DEs go before the Bengals pick, I would think Fournette or the safety Adams might still be there and would be a better pick. It's possible the Bengals scouts will rank Charlton ahead of Allen and Thomas and think it's a steal if they get him after those two.

Completely agree.

It seems like every year there is a consensus top 4 or 5 guys, this year it seems to be:

Garrett
Allen
Adams

Those three are almost always in the top 4.  After that, it looks like a crap shoot.
Reply/Quote