Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Behind The Lines
I love reading these articles that CJ posts. Mainly to put things into perspective. It's sad to think we all think our teams are 'good' or going to do it. Hearing about the Colts from Colts insiders/fans is interesting. Perhaps even more interesting, the fact they think the Colts will give us a hard time. It's ENTIRELY possible, but on paper, I find it a bit confusing.

Here's the article.

Key part from it:

Quote: I expect this first game for the Colts to be kind of sloppy. Andrew Luck has missed a lot of time, and despite some solid play during the preseason, he will be nervous about his first real game back. The Bengals’ pass rush is no joke, and the Colts have had a couple injuries on the offensive line that have kept them from getting any real cohesion this offseason. If Anthony Castonzo is not back in action for this game, I think it will create issues for the offense.

Luck has shown a tendency to force the ball to his trusted playmakers, and while I expect Reich to scheme some easy throws for him early to build some confidence, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gives up a pick.

On defense, I expect the team to struggle a bit. They do a good job of gang tackling, but have shown already that a quality running back can really rack up the yards against them. They’ll do their best to be a bend but don’t break style of defense, but I expect that approach to yield a lot of yards for the Bengals. However, they have done quite well in terms of red zone defense, and have been able to generate some turnovers, so lots of yards won’t necessarily translate to touchdowns.

All in all, I expect this matchup to be a sloppy outing but a close one. I think the game will come down to a single score late in the game, and there is no one I’d rather have for a fourth quarter comeback than Andrew Luck.

Colts win, 28-24

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/9/6/17814454/bengals-vs-colts-behind-enemy-lines-indianapolis-take-a-punch-not-wilt-week-1-preview-nfl-cincinnati

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 03:46 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I love reading these articles that CJ posts. Mainly to put things into perspective. It's sad to think we all think our teams are 'good' or going to do it. Hearing about the Colts from Colts insiders/fans is interesting. Perhaps even more interesting, the fact they think the Colts will give us a hard time. It's ENTIRELY possible, but on paper, I find it a bit confusing.

Here's the article.

Key part from it:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/9/6/17814454/bengals-vs-colts-behind-enemy-lines-indianapolis-take-a-punch-not-wilt-week-1-preview-nfl-cincinnati

I was at last year's Colt's game at PBS.   It was a close game in terms of the score, but they were the better team until Carlos won the game for us.

I'm looking forward to watching, and hoping we have made some significant improvements from last year.

Go Bengals!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If this winds up being close or a loss - the Bengals are a lot further from being a playoff contender then we would like them to be.
Reply/Quote
Sounds like Bullock better have a good day.
Reply/Quote
Luck is not mobile and yet will be running for his life. The key to a Bengal victory is establishing the rush and stopping TE slants over the middle. The Linebackers have to step it up and keep Colt's rushing attempts minimal. I also think Colts will use screens, draws because of the aggressiveness of the Bengals' defense.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 04:58 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Luck is not mobile and yet will be running for his life.  The key to a Bengal victory is establishing the rush and stopping TE slants over the middle.  The Linebackers have to step it up and keep Colt's rushing attempts minimal.  I also think Colts will use screens, draws because of the aggressiveness of the Bengals' defense.

If I remember right, Luck is not exactly a statue back there. I do think he can move. 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 05:00 PM)sandwedge Wrote: If I remember right, Luck is not exactly a statue back there. I do think he can move. 

True - but when he runs, the odds of tearing up his Eifert like shoulder go up considerably.  Think he'll be getting rid of the ball quick.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 04:47 PM)BengalD Wrote: If this winds up being close or a loss - the Bengals are a lot further from being a playoff contender then we would like them to be.

If the Bengals lose this, I fear this will be a long, long year. Sure, Vegas odds are against us, but I think most of us have this as a W. It would be a disappointing start. 

Reply/Quote
I saw an article the other day predicting each NFL team's first loss. They had the Bengals losing first to Baltimore. So yes, if we lost to the Colts, that predicts a long season. I don't think we will though, I think the Defense is gonna eat.... and Andy is going to carve it up.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 05:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I saw an article the other day predicting each NFL team's first loss. They had the Bengals losing first to Baltimore. So yes, if we lost to the Colts, that predicts a long season. I don't think we will though, I think the Defense is gonna eat.... and Andy is going to carve it up.

Colts released some of their best pass rushers. They're starting rooking linebackers and their secondary is young. That, and they've been known to give up GAPING holes. If Dalton has a hard time going for over 250+ in this game, it's going to be a LONG season for everyone. It entirely depends on how well their defensive scheme is. I haven't watched a lick of them in preseason. 

Jimmy G didn't do too hot from what I remember (statistically he was okay, I guess).

Reply/Quote
The Colts defense will probably finish the season in the bottom 1/4 of the league, they're not good ! Luck hasn't played in a real game in over a year. I highly doubt they're gonna come out firing on all cylinders.

Like others have said if we lose this one it will be time for a serious reexamination.
Reply/Quote
The Colts' fan points out a number of their flaws, then proclaims the Colts will win.

If the Bengals don't handily come away with a win then the coaches will have been ill prepared for this game. The Bengals are better at just about every position. The Bengals have better RBs, better WRs, a better OL (imagine that), a better DL, better LBs and a better secondary. The position where the Colts have an advantage is at QB, but given Luck's rust the Bengals should also have an advantage there.

Bengals DL will attacked from the first snap all the way to the end of the game. The Colts are weak up the middle on the OL and Luck is going to have bodies in his face from the beginning. I'm looking for very little blitzing from the Bengals, yet a lot of pass rush pressure.

The biggest question mark I have is can the Bengals offense run the ball effectively enough to put this game away in the 3rd quarter and burn clock. If we get a 10 point lead and Marv starts his run 3 times and punt mentality then that could let the Colts back in the game late. Hopefully Marv just butts out or says "attack" until the closing bell.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 04:58 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Luck is not mobile and yet will be running for his life.  The key to a Bengal victory is establishing the rush and stopping TE slants over the middle.  The Linebackers have to step it up and keep Colt's rushing attempts minimal.  I also think Colts will use screens, draws because of the aggressiveness of the Bengals' defense.

Stopping the run is the one thing that this defense has showed very little of, in preseason.  The same goes with establishing the run, on the offensive side of the ball.  With that said, I think Andy has superior weapons, and the Bengals benefit from some easy big plays, allowing the defense to get after Luck with "great vengeance and furious anger".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 07:14 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The Colts' fan points out a number of their flaws, then proclaims the Colts will win.

If the Bengals don't handily come away with a win then the coaches will have been ill prepared for this game. The Bengals are better at just about every position. The Bengals have better RBs, better WRs, a better OL (imagine that), a better DL, better LBs and a better secondary. The position where the Colts have an advantage is at QB, but given Luck's rust the Bengals should also have an advantage there.

Bengals DL will attacked from the first snap all the way to the end of the game. The Colts are weak up the middle on the OL and Luck is going to have bodies in his face from the beginning. I'm looking for very little blitzing from the Bengals, yet a lot of pass rush pressure.

The biggest question mark I have is can the Bengals offense run the ball effectively enough to put this game away in the 3rd quarter and burn clock. If we get a 10 point lead and Marv starts his run 3 times and punt mentality then that could let the Colts back in the game late. Hopefully Marv just butts out or says "attack" until the closing bell.

Pretty spot on. We pretty much had a 4 man rush during the preseason and they caused havoc!
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 05:27 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: If the Bengals lose this, I fear this will be a long, long year. Sure, Vegas odds are against us, but I think most of us have this as a W. It would be a disappointing start. 

if the Bengals lose this Indy game I see disaster....
it will turn into 0-4

b/c we will also lose at home to the rat birds & then on the road to the Panthers & Falcons...

game 5 we should beat the fins.....
so we'd be looking at 1-4 then next up the Stealers....
shit....
it would be ugly around here.... Hammer :whiteflag:

but I don't see that....

i'm guessing....
 Bengals 27
 Colts     21
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 05:27 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: If the Bengals lose this, I fear this will be a long, long year. Sure, Vegas odds are against us, but I think most of us have this as a W. It would be a disappointing start. 

The only way the Bengals lose this game is if the starting D doesn't show up at all. PERIOD.

They WILL sack AL 5 time or more for the game. HE MAY WANT TO SIT OUT THE 2nd half.

It is going to be UGLY. 

Yea I know I am an optimist, and I have a reason to be.... 

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 09:27 PM)Steve Wrote: if the Bengals lose this Indy game I see disaster....
it will turn into 0-4

b/c we will also lose at home to the rat birds & then on the road to the Panthers & Falcons...

game 5 we should beat the fins.....
so we'd be looking at 1-4 then next up the Stealers....
shit....
it would be ugly around here.... Hammer :whiteflag:

but I don't see that....

i'm guessing....
 Bengals 27
 Colts     21

It won't be that close.

Luck sacked 5 times or more. 

Cincy may win by 30... 

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 07:14 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The Colts' fan points out a number of their flaws, then proclaims the Colts will win.

BTW, Andy Dalton has a higher rating than LUCK.

I think we keep him upright and he will be awesome... 

I would love to see him and AJ hook up for a few 50 + plays.... 

GO BENGALS! 
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2018, 08:24 AM)jwayne Wrote: BTW, Andy Dalton has a higher rating than LUCK.

I think we keep him upright and he will be awesome... 

I would love to see him and AJ hook up for a few 50 + plays.... 

GO BENGALS! 

That can't be true, Luck was the #1 pick in the draft!  Sarcasm
Reply/Quote

I dont understand this. Everyone hates on dalton when a guy like luck has worse career numbers but somehow is better.
Reply/Quote