Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beijing flooding
It's barely covered in this press, but something picked up by The China Show on YouTube is a bridge in Beijing was washed away with dozens and dozens of cars with people in them and the CCP response?  Put up barriers on all the other bridges so nobody can see the carnage.

. ABSOLUTELY catastrophic flooding in the city and several other Chinese cities. The front page of The People's Daily, China's biggest state newspaper barely mentioned the capital city being nearly destroyed..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Honestly had no idea this was going on. Googled and watched a few videos (your embedded video came back with an error for me)...

But how do you know this has "nearly destroyed" Bejing? Wouldn't they be evacuating the entire city then and not just several villages? I am reading they've only evacuated about 1M out of 21M people...mostly in villages near whatever river if overflowing.

I'm guessing all the answers are in the video you linked that i can't get to play Sad
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
I haven’t got to dig in to this. Just saw a couple headlines earlier. Sounded pretty damn bad.

China is in pretty bad shape right now. Hopefully they don’t try war and a nationalist rallying cry to wake the industrial giant back up.
Reply/Quote
Note:  That living in Houston with the constant threat of direct hits by unimpeded tropical storms and having lived through and experienced Harvey that had twice as much rain as what just hit Beijing in the same period of time, what this says to me is that the Chinese govt failed to prepare and protect their people.  We have guidelines and rules here.

--Staggered Mandatory evacuations from the cost inward till the voluntary point.
--Constant updates of when to leave vs. when to stay because that last thing you want is to be in a flood zone during a hurricane, but the second to last thing you want is to be in your car during a hurricane.  Buckle down or get out, but the key point is to be aware and prepared, and it is clear that Beijing was neither.

From my understanding, the mountains of Philippines and Taiwan usually interfere greatly with typhoons in that area, but this one shot the gap between the two islands, plus had near perfect conditions for re-intensification PAST the islands AND was large enough and powerful enough to not be disrupted much by the islands when shooting the gap.  This "protection from the mountainous islands" mindset might have contributed to China's lack of preparedness for this scenario.
Reply/Quote
China's a hot mess. Their population will be cut in half by 2050 if not sooner because of 40 years of one child policies, the tradition of culling baby girls in favor of having a son to take care of people in their old age and nobody is in a big hurry to imigrate to China. They have no realistic building standards so an ungodly amount of buildings built in the past 20 years are crumbling thanks to tofu dreg construction and that permeates throughout their entire system including the military. Western corporations are leaving the country and nobody really wants to do business there if they can avoid it. It's a one man show with Xi calling all the shots and he's shot the messenger so often nobody wants to tell him any bad news.  Their entire system is a top down system completely vertical and nobody can question the person above him regardless of how stupid that person happens to be. They have twice as many people 45 and older than they have kids. 
That's just the beginning of the problems. They have to import nearly all their food and energy so any fight with any navy anywhere near the Straights of Malacka and they go straight into 1970s style famine again and make no mistake about it,  they're surrounded by enemies and anyone who isn't an enemy has an economy smaller than Colorado..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2023, 09:27 AM)Stewy Wrote: Note:  That living in Houston with the constant threat of direct hits by unimpeded tropical storms and having lived through and experienced Harvey that had twice as much rain as what just hit Beijing in the same period of time, what this says to me is that the Chinese govt failed to prepare and protect their people.  We have guidelines and rules here.

--Staggered Mandatory evacuations from the cost inward till the voluntary point.
--Constant updates of when to leave vs. when to stay because that last thing you want is to be in a flood zone during a hurricane, but the second to last thing you want is to be in your car during a hurricane.  Buckle down or get out, but the key point is to be aware and prepared, and it is clear that Beijing was neither.

From my understanding, the mountains of Philippines and Taiwan usually interfere greatly with typhoons in that area, but this one shot the gap between the two islands, plus had near perfect conditions for re-intensification PAST the islands AND was large enough and powerful enough to not be disrupted much by the islands when shooting the gap.  This "protection from the mountainous islands" mindset might have contributed to China's lack of preparedness for this scenario.

Outstanding info, I was not aware of a lot of this.

(08-03-2023, 05:58 PM)grampahol Wrote: China's a hot mess. Their population will be cut in half by 2050 if not sooner because of 40 years of one child policies, the tradition of culling baby girls in favor of having a son to take care of people in their old age and nobody is in a big hurry to imigrate to China. They have no realistic building standards so an ungodly amount of buildings built in the past 20 years are crumbling thanks to tofu dreg construction and that permeates throughout their entire system including the military. Western corporations are leaving the country and nobody really wants to do business there if they can avoid it. It's a one man show with Xi calling all the shots and he's shot the messenger so often nobody wants to tell him any bad news.  Their entire system is a top down system completely vertical and nobody can question the person above him regardless of how stupid that person happens to be. They have twice as many people 45 and older than they have kids. 
That's just the beginning of the problems. They have to import nearly all their food and energy so any fight with any navy anywhere near the Straights of Malacka and they go straight into 1970s style famine again and make no mistake about it,  they're surrounded by enemies and anyone who isn't an enemy has an economy smaller than Colorado..

You couldn't have said it any better.  Their economy is a house of cards and it won't take a whole lot to bring it down.  The real worry is that they go down taking everyone else with them.  I have zero confidence in them behaving like the USSR, who prevented war several times by being overly cautious.  I honestly think the CCP would prefer the world to burn than to lose their power.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2023, 05:58 PM)grampahol Wrote: China's a hot mess. Their population will be cut in half by 2050 if not sooner because of 40 years of one child policies, the tradition of culling baby girls in favor of having a son to take care of people in their old age and nobody is in a big hurry to imigrate to China. They have no realistic building standards so an ungodly amount of buildings built in the past 20 years are crumbling thanks to tofu dreg construction and that permeates throughout their entire system including the military. Western corporations are leaving the country and nobody really wants to do business there if they can avoid it. It's a one man show with Xi calling all the shots and he's shot the messenger so often nobody wants to tell him any bad news.  Their entire system is a top down system completely vertical and nobody can question the person above him regardless of how stupid that person happens to be. They have twice as many people 45 and older than they have kids. 

Wasn’t aware of the building issues.

I know I have seen their recent graduates started a trend of taking pictures after graduation that show the misery of taking that big step in life and joining the Chinese work force.
Reply/Quote