Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Brown will consider honoring players...
@bfine32 - ha!

@Wes Mantooth - can't speak to the practice facility at all. And while I was quoting Mike there, I can tell you they will be doing "something" in 2017. Not sure what, but it won't come and go without some recognition of some kind.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2016, 11:23 PM)jowczarski Wrote: "Something" is going to happen with the 50th season next year. What, we have no idea. Just think - in 2015 Mike says he's heard the arguments and admits it's his fault for not having something. In 2016 he says hey, next year is our 50th so we'll talk about it then. I think for those fans who want at least a little recognition for some players - or teams - something is on its way. I'm sure it won't be enough for most, even if it was crazy over the top, but it's a start.

To that end, let me shout out Paul Dehner Jr. and our guy Mike Nyerges for our own Ring of Honor podcast series and videos. Here is the last one of four inductees - with links to the first three: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/07/25/bengals-ring-honor-podcast-series-chad-johnson-guest-mo-egger/87519772/
Then why not just say that?  Why not announce that you're doing something then, or at least allude to doing to something?

I mean, we're talking about a business worth over a billion dollars.  And they don't someone there with the PR where-with-all to realize that simply saying you're considering it, after you said the same exact thing the year prior,  continuing to kick the curb down the road, is going to continue incense some of your supporters?

And really, what better time to announce plans for next season than right now?  "Hey, we're going to be doing (insert player recognition/fan celebration here) in 2017, to honor our 50th anniversary."  Planning and construction has already started, or will start, on/in... and will be open on..."

I mean, that sure makes sense to me.  More than, continuing to piss off customers, risking pissing off additional customers, and given the same no-answer you continue to give or a dew different questions.

When exactly are they planning on announcing this thing, a month before camp start next year?  Why wait to even give a vague hint that something is in the works?
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2016, 12:27 AM)jowczarski Wrote: @Wes Mantooth - can't speak to the practice facility at all. And while I was quoting Mike there, I can tell you they will be doing "something" in 2017. Not sure what, but it won't come and go without some recognition of some kind.

I think we all know that given the years passed since it was last brought up, and the solution that is now what UC's facility is viewed as, that that practice facility aint coming any time soon.
Reply/Quote
I will say that, and I can't believe I'm saying this, that Mike comes off as more likable (to me at least) as an actual person, and as time goes on. And I do forget that when it comes to a lot of these guys, that they're actual people and not just owners, players, coaches, etc.

Andy Dalton, as an example, seems like a pretty incredible human being. And, at the end of the day, when reminded of these things, I know I should value that a great deal more. I'll take a decent to good player, and a good to great person, over a great player, who's a scumbag, every single time. I'll take a Reinard Wilson if it means not having a Greg Hardy.

Mike seems like an ok guy. Probably fantastic work for. I like that he seems down to earth, and that he's self aware.
He's a lot more relatable and real than someone like Jerry Jones. He's not a phoney (looking at you Robert Kraft). And he's a smart man. But geez, he doesn't make it hard to like him sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2016, 01:05 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I will say that, and I can't believe I'm saying this, that Mike comes off as more likable (to me at least) as an actual person, and as time goes on.  And I do forget that when it comes to a lot of these guys, that they're actual people and not just owners, players, coaches, etc.

Andy Dalton, as an example, seems  like a pretty incredible human being.  And, at the end of the day, when reminded of these things, I know I should value that a great deal more.  I'll take a decent to good player, and a good to great person, over a great player, who's a scumbag, every single time.  I'll take a Reinard Wilson if it means not having a Greg Hardy.

Mike seems like an ok guy. Probably fantastic work for.  I like that he seems down to earth, and that he's self aware.  
He's a lot more relatable and real than someone like Jerry Jones.  He's not a phoney (looking at you Robert Kraft).  And he's a smart man.  But geez, he doesn't make it hard to like him sometimes.

Judging from the countless posts of yours that I've read over the years, it seems that you and Mike Brown have something in common
Reply/Quote
I'll echo the sentiments of others in this thread by saying that it's a good thing, but I'm not going to praise Mike for (thinking about) doing something he should've done a long time ago. It's hard to imagine an owner being less in touch with or more apathetic towards his fan/customer base.

Hopefully this isn't like when he was "considering" a practice facility.

@bfine: I'm a little surprised you of all people would say that. Despite our lack of history and the void that was '91-02, there's still enough great players in 50 years to adequately fill a ROH. It wouldn't exactly look like the 49ers' or Packers', but it wouldn't be an embarassment, either.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2016, 02:05 AM)fullonbehavior Wrote: Judging from the countless posts of yours that I've read over the years, it seems that you and Mike Brown have something in common

Perhaps we do. 
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2016, 02:11 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: @bfine: I'm a little surprised you of all people would say that. Despite our lack of history and the void that was '91-02, there's still enough great players in 50 years to fill a ROH.

Agreed.  And there's at least a dozen other teams with histories no better than ours, that have something.  

IMO, you don't have to be a Steelers or Packers to acknowledge and celebrate your history.  50 years is a long time, with plenty of faces that a fanbase can feel are deserving. I think simple nostalgia alone trumps all when it comes to these types things.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2016, 11:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Taking off homer glasses we have about 3 guys that belong in a ROH. We should have like a Corner of Honor

(07-29-2016, 02:11 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: @bfine: I'm a little surprised you of all people would say that. Despite our lack of history and the void that was '91-02, there's still enough great players in 50 years to adequately fill a ROH. It wouldn't exactly look like the 49ers' or Packers', but it wouldn't be an embarassment, either.

Yeah b.....who are the three?  I'd feel there would be at least enough to fill out a ring of honor....I mean, if UK football has one...... LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2016, 11:23 PM)jowczarski Wrote: "Something" is going to happen with the 50th season next year. What, we have no idea. Just think - in 2015 Mike says he's heard the arguments and admits it's his fault for not having something. In 2016 he says hey, next year is our 50th so we'll talk about it then. I think for those fans who want at least a little recognition for some players - or teams - something is on its way. I'm sure it won't be enough for most, even if it was crazy over the top, but it's a start.

To that end, let me shout out Paul Dehner Jr. and our guy Mike Nyerges for our own Ring of Honor podcast series and videos. Here is the last one of four inductees - with links to the first three: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/07/25/bengals-ring-honor-podcast-series-chad-johnson-guest-mo-egger/87519772/

At this point, fans will take anything. Even a small banner will a couple of names stitched on it. It's crazy how we don't honor some of the best in team history.

(07-29-2016, 01:05 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I will say that, and I can't believe I'm saying this, that Mike comes off as more likable (to me at least) as an actual person, and as time goes on.  And I do forget that when it comes to a lot of these guys, that they're actual people and not just owners, players, coaches, etc.

Andy Dalton, as an example, seems  like a pretty incredible human being.  And, at the end of the day, when reminded of these things, I know I should value that a great deal more.  I'll take a decent to good player, and a good to great person, over a great player, who's a scumbag, every single time.  I'll take a Reinard Wilson if it means not having a Greg Hardy.

Mike seems like an ok guy. Probably fantastic work for.  I like that he seems down to earth, and that he's self aware.  
He's a lot more relatable and real than someone like Jerry Jones.  He's not a phoney (looking at you Robert Kraft).  And he's a smart man.  But geez, he doesn't make it hard to like him sometimes.

I have found myself feeling the same about Mike. I was always frustrated when he said practically nothing in his two media interviews a year for a long time. Then there was the "Themes" statement during 2008. The press conference following the 2010 season had him as public enemy #1 by a mile.

Now that he's stepped back, he seems more open. He's willing to admit to some of his mistakes. I actually look forward to hear what he's going to say.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2016, 02:11 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: @bfine: I'm a little surprised you of all people would say that. Despite our lack of history and the void that was '91-02, there's still enough great players in 50 years to adequately fill a ROH. It wouldn't exactly look like the 49ers' or Packers', but it wouldn't be an embarassment, either.

I'd just hate for it to be too watered down. Once we hit about 8-10 we are honoring the likes of Blair Bush
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2016, 10:56 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yeah b.....who are the three?  I'd feel there would be at least enough to fill out a ring of honor....I mean, if UK football has one...... LMAO

Well I doubt Paul Brown would be on it; as his name is on the front door. So Munoz, Anderson, Riley. After that we're down to "really good" players.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I would like to announce that in 2017 I'm going to consider something. I'll let you know in 2017.  Alert the media. 
Reply/Quote
Call me a downer, but I think starting a Bengals ROH would actually bring more attention to the decent players we've had that left under less than stellar terms during the Mike Brown era and/or are known for being critical of the franchise. As bfine said, it would look like we'd have 3 guys in there and people asking why Boomer, Collinsworth, and one of our best WRs are so anti-Bengals.

Meh, a ROH that features some 3 guys for 50 years of existence? Ick, it might be best to just let it be.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2016, 10:56 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah b.....who are the three?  I'd feel there would be at least enough to fill out a ring of honor....I mean, if UK football has one...... LMAO

Pillsbury Throw Boy could fill out a UK football ROH all by himself.  Mellow

(07-29-2016, 04:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well I doubt Paul Brown would be on it; as his name is on the front door. So Munoz, Anderson, Riley. After that we're down to "really good" players.

C'mon man...not all franchises are littered with HOF'ers. You don't think guys like Chad, Corey, Boomer, Willie, etc would be on just about any teams ROH based on their careers? All 4 of those guys are probably just one rung below HOF consideration. They are definitely worthy of spots in a team ROH, as are many others. If we were talking about the HOF, I'd understand your take, but the standards are a little lower for a team ROH. 

Shoot, the Reds have guys like Sean Casey in theirs.

(07-30-2016, 05:47 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Call me a downer, but I think starting a Bengals ROH would actually bring more attention to the decent players we've had that left under less than stellar terms during the Mike Brown era and/or are known for being critical of the franchise.  As bfine said, it would look like we'd have 3 guys in there and people asking why Boomer, Collinsworth, and one of our best WRs are so anti-Bengals.

Meh, a ROH that features some 3 guys for 50 years of existence?  Ick, it might be best to just let it be.

Now this is a valid point and I don't think bfine was going there. I personally think we should only look at on-field accomplishments. Especially with this franchise. Mike Brown might not see it that way, but he should if he has any regrets for the way he ran this franchise for 15-20 years. All of those players had valid gripes. Refusing to honor their careers based on complaints they had over what was universally considered a poorly run franchise seems petty.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2016, 11:00 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Now this is a valid point and I don't think bfine was going there. I personally think we should only look at on-field accomplishments. Especially with this franchise. Mike Brown might not see it that way, but he should if he has any regrets for the way he ran this franchise for 15-20 years. All of those players had valid gripes. Refusing to honor their careers based on complaints they had over what was universally considered a poorly run franchise seems petty.

Whether it is right or wrong is less of the point than me realizing why Mike Brown wouldn't want to go out of his way to honor players like Boomer, Cris, Corey, Chad, or anyone else who are blatantly anti-Bengals at one time or forever.  I'm not even sure some of those guys would really care about being honored by Mike, and the idea of extending something like that and getting a less than enthused reaction from the players themselves should be warning enough to keep this  continually in the "under consideration" folder.

Super Bowl wins would have healed all wounds, though.

Franco Harris left the Steelers in a rather unhappy and public manner to run out his career in Seattle after the Roony clan told him he wasn't worth the contract he wanted, but you don't hear about that these days and all is forgiven.  You hear about how awesome John Elway is as a SB winning QB and VP but you don't often hear about him being a giant crybaby who kicked off his NFL career by threatening to never play a down, etc.

Anywho, as it stands it almost looks like this could be a whole lot of effort that ends up providing more evidence that Mike Brown wasn't a very good owner. Why go out of your way to add more fuel to the fires of criticism?
Reply/Quote