Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being an adult sucks
Yeah I'm seriously rethinking my path. I received some advice from a class mate today, we are close in age, and he thought I should switch to his major or something similar. He's in HVAC but that's not something I'm all that interested in. He said he can make upwards of 100k at his current job repairing ice machines. ICE MACHINES! That wouldn't be too bad, or I could just pursue maintenance, which I already have a certificate in, from a tech school, but I never really pursued that career choice. 

I don't know, I'm just a bit overwhelmed with it all. I'm gonna take some time and really think about what I want and what I may be good at. Robotics, I don't think is it. 
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Is there something you are good at that could earn money ?
Some wise person said long ago, " if you do what you enjoy and get paid its' not like going to a job .
Not easy to pull off, but still possible.
Good Luck, whichever way you decide on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 01:10 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Yeah. 

It ain't easy!

Update

So, I had to take an 8wk DEV math class. We could work at our own pace and most of the work was online, unfortunately I wasn't aware that we're able to work on this at home until 2 weeks (two classes per wk) in. Needless to say I found myself behind. Good news is that I passed, barely. As far as math goes, I'm now in the 2nd 8wk course and its 100x more work. I mean, I e been doing math math and more math, then more math. My first exam in this class is in two days. I will be prepared. But I gotta be honest, I can't remember any formulas to save my life. Anyone know of any memory tricks?

This goes for my other courses, Intro to fluid controls and Electric Circuits. The EC course is just more math. Ohms law yada yada yada. We get to play with some toys ( LAP's) but we partner up and my partner is a young go getter. Needless to say I end up observing him more than I get to play with these toys, mostly because I'm not very confident in what I've learned and how to apply it. I e learned more via YouTube than in class. 

In fluid controls, We do all of the work online and it isn't accessed at home. Yep, I got behind in that too and haven't been able to go to the lab for LAP's. I should be caught up here in the next two weeks so I'm hoping to hit the LAP's for the final two or three classes. 

So, overall I'm passing, but I'm not making the Dean's List. 

If there anything I've learned, it's that I'm not as smart as I thought and I'm having reservations about the major I chose which is Automation and Robotics. But I'm not sure if switching would be a good idea and I really wanna see this through. I'm interested in this line of work but I don't know if I have what it takes. 

Remembering formulas? I just programmed them into my TI-85 graphing calculator.

As Roto said.....you gotta get down and dirty on the math, until it becomes second nature. I used to avoid it like the plague until a major change forced me into it. The light went off one day in Trigonometry, and I went on to the Dean's List from there.

You want to talk about immersing yourself in a subject? I took Physics during intersession. I was working nights too. When I wasn't at work, I hooked up with some guys/gals in my class that were laid back like myself, and we totally dorked out on the stuff. We would meet for dinner and talk about the shit, have a beer on Friday night? Talk Physics....it took about half of the intersession to click, but once it did, I understood it very clearly and aced my final to pull out a B for the course. At midterm, I hadn't passed a test, and only passed one all the way until the final. They we were high Fs....lol....but my homework and labs were keeping me afloat. Then, it all came together and the light went off....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Yeah I'm still letting it marinate. I really would like to see it through because it is something I'm very interested in. I had t thought about a graphing calculator, even though my (math) professor has mentioned them and says we can't use them. But we can use scientific calculators. Are there any good GC's that look like scientific or ordinary ones? 

I can remember very simple formula's but I've been overloaded with them to the point where if they're  anything more than simple, even each of the formulas for circles, I get confused. I'm not sure why. I'm beginning to believe I may have a learning disability. I follow along 100% in class and everything's clear as day. But when I'm on my own, it may as well be Chinese. 

Anyway, thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna keep chippin' away for the time being to see if I make any improvements, but I know if I struggle with an upcoming exam, I'm gonna be even more disappointed than now. I have a (math) exam tomorrow of which I plan on studying all night and all day tomorrow all the way up to class. Hopefully something clicks.  

I can't say I've done my best because I always feel I can do better, but I have put forth great effort only to feel like there's a wall I front of me that I can't break through. 

Update coming Friday. 
Reply/Quote
Maybe some of the younger guys could help you out on the calculator.... it's been 13 years since I left college.

Best wishes on your upcoming exams, if the desire is there, I think you'll make it. It appears you have the desire....just keep diggin'.

Also, most scientific calculators have a case.....a pencil and small writing does wonders. Wink

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 03:09 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Yeah I'm still letting it marinate. I really would like to see it through because it is something I'm very interested in. I had t thought about a graphing calculator, even though my (math) professor has mentioned them and says we can't use them. But we can use scientific calculators. Are there any good GC's that look like scientific or ordinary ones? 

I can remember very simple formula's but I've been overloaded with them to the point where if they're  anything more than simple, even each of the formulas for circles, I get confused. I'm not sure why. I'm beginning to believe I may have a learning disability. I follow along 100% in class and everything's clear as day. But when I'm on my own, it may as well be Chinese. 

Anyway, thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna keep chippin' away for the time being to see if I make any improvements, but I know if I struggle with an upcoming exam, I'm gonna be even more disappointed than now. I have a (math) exam tomorrow of which I plan on studying all night and all day tomorrow all the way up to class. Hopefully something clicks.  

I can't say I've done my best because I always feel I can do better, but I have put forth great effort only to feel like there's a wall I front of me that I can't break through. 

Update coming Friday. 

It might just be your learning style man. Everyone has different learning styles. I can't memorize math formulas just by reading them. I had to do extra problems and use the formulas over and over until they became second nature. Then, a day or two before the exam I would copy the formulas down to a piece of paper and just carry around with me everywhere. Every 10 or so minutes I'd try to remember to formulas without looking at the paper and then double check to see which ones I forgot. The ones I forgot I focused on. A lot of it comes down to repetition brother.
Reply/Quote
I know a lot about science.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 01:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I'll service your girlfriend so you won't have to see her every weekend.

Anything for a message board brother.

No need for both of them to be frustrated.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
i believe they allowed TI81s but not the 89s when i went. It would depend on which math course your taking though. the more advanced the more inclined they will be to let you use the better tech.. but if your learning sin cos and those graphing functions i could see them not wanting you to use a calc that can do it for you lol.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 03:55 PM)treee Wrote: It might just be your learning style man. Everyone has different learning styles. I can't memorize math formulas just by reading them. I had to do extra problems and use the formulas over and over until they became second nature. Then, a day or two before the exam I would copy the formulas down to a piece of paper and just carry around with me everywhere. Every 10 or so minutes I'd try to remember to formulas without looking at the paper and then double check to see which ones I forgot. The ones I forgot I focused on. A lot of it comes down to repetition brother.

Indeed.....I've used this method myself.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 01:10 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Yeah. 

It ain't easy!

Update

So, I had to take an 8wk DEV math class. We could work at our own pace and most of the work was online, unfortunately I wasn't aware that we're able to work on this at home until 2 weeks (two classes per wk) in. Needless to say I found myself behind. Good news is that I passed, barely. As far as math goes, I'm now in the 2nd 8wk course and its 100x more work. I mean, I e been doing math math and more math, then more math. My first exam in this class is in two days. I will be prepared. But I gotta be honest, I can't remember any formulas to save my life. Anyone know of any memory tricks?

This goes for my other courses, Intro to fluid controls and Electric Circuits. The EC course is just more math. Ohms law yada yada yada. We get to play with some toys ( LAP's) but we partner up and my partner is a young go getter. Needless to say I end up observing him more than I get to play with these toys, mostly because I'm not very confident in what I've learned and how to apply it. I e learned more via YouTube than in class. 

In fluid controls, We do all of the work online and it isn't accessed at home. Yep, I got behind in that too and haven't been able to go to the lab for LAP's. I should be caught up here in the next two weeks so I'm hoping to hit the LAP's for the final two or three classes. 

If there anything I've learned, it's that I'm not as smart as I thought and I'm having reservations about the major I chose which is Automation and Robotics. But I'm not sure if switching would be a good idea and I really wanna see this through. I'm interested in this line of work but I don't know if I have what it takes. 

Well.....IF you are reconsidering your choice, the old "find something you love, and you'll never 'work' another day in your life" is never as easy as said. Worth a thorough soul-search IMHO. Try your best to not leave yourself with regret down the road.

IF you're making a decision based on financial return, or a combination of passion and reward, only you will find what's best for you. My experience does hold true to nothing good comes easy, so please try not to be discouraged with the math stuff for now IF it will lead to the comfort level you currently seek. If you want this, you got this. I have faith in ya!
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Well, I had to drop my math class because it was too overwhelming, with two other classes. Like I said, I needed to take a DEV math for the first 8 wks, then this math, which was 16 wks crammed into 8, so homework due every night before midnight was really taking its toll. I will pick this class back up when my schedule permits. 

I did pass my Fluid EET class with a B, 28 pts away from an A. I coulda retaken a quiz or two to get that A, but I was surprised I gotta B, so I accepted that. 

When the professor showed me my grade, I caught a glimpse of the other students grades and all I could see were C's and D's. I'm pretty stoked that I did so well. I'm afraid though that my grade in electrical circuits won't be so good. Hope I pass though. 
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 02:36 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Well, I had to drop my math class because it was too overwhelming, with two other classes. Like I said, I needed to take a DEV math for the first 8 wks, then this math, which was 16 wks crammed into 8, so homework due every night before midnight was really taking its toll. I will pick this class back up when my schedule permits. 

I did pass my Fluid EET class with a B, 28 pts away from an A. I coulda retaken a quiz or two to get that A, but I was surprised I gotta B, so I accepted that. 

When the professor showed me my grade, I caught a glimpse of the other students grades and all I could see were C's and D's. I'm pretty stoked that I did so well. I'm afraid though that my grade in electrical circuits won't be so good. Hope I pass though. 

Keep up the good work man! At least you're being realistic about what and when you can accomplish your goals. I had to withdraw from all of my classes this semester because I missed almost 3 weeks straight.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 02:36 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Well, I had to drop my math class because it was too overwhelming, with two other classes. Like I said, I needed to take a DEV math for the first 8 wks, then this math, which was 16 wks crammed into 8, so homework due every night before midnight was really taking its toll. I will pick this class back up when my schedule permits. 

Well, that's encouraging though! Yeah, cramming a 16 week course into 8 is a bear. That's how I did Physics. I beleive once you take the refresher course, a lot will come back to you, and you'll do fine. Congrats on the B.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 01:10 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Yeah. 

It ain't easy!

Update

You learned more from You Tube: this may be a critical insight.

All are capable of learning through hearing, seeing, or doing (auditory, visual, kinesthetic). But, all also have a preferred/best mode of learning. If sounds like since you learned more from You Tube you may be a visual learner. So, rather than spending study time reading or talking to peers or playing with toys you may be best served by watching videos such as those you have found on You Tube. Good luck with learning how you learn best and using this knowledge to your advantage.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 11:20 AM)michaelsean Wrote: here's some advice.  Don't be that dbag adult who sits in the front row, and at the end of class when the professor asks if there are any questions, ask a question.

That's actually horrible advice. Ask questions.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 10:34 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: That's actually horrible advice. Ask questions.

Agreed.
You're paying for the education, get the most out of it.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 10:34 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: That's actually horrible advice. Ask questions.

(04-26-2016, 12:13 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Agreed.
You're paying for the education, get the most out of it.

I think Michaelsean was talking about the type of person who asks questions just to listen to himself talk.  But in general I agree it is a good idea to ask questions.
Reply/Quote