Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bell Plans On Returning Now?
Well, not now, but in week 7 (Steelers bye week)?

Quote:PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell told ESPN he is playing football in 2018 and does not expect to be traded.

In fact, he's still holding out hope the team will re-sign him to a long-term contract once his franchise tag is up. Bell is staying away from the team to preserve his body, but a source says Bell is expected to report Week 7, the Steelers' bye week.

Bell said he's in prime physical condition and could play football "tomorrow" if he needed.

"It sucks having to sit out football," said Bell by telephone from South Florida on Monday. "I want to play. I want to win games and the playoffs.

But I've gotta take this stand. Knowing my worth and knowing I can tear a ligament or get surgery at any time, I knew I couldn't play 16 games with 400 or more touches."

The Steelers are exploring trade options for Bell, who does not expect to be traded. The Steelers told Bell during franchise tag negotiations that they would transition tag him in 2019, which would set the stage for Bell to negotiate with other teams while the team hold his rights at more than $17 million.

Bell said he doesn't see a "logical team giving up (a high pick and a player) potentially for someone who could play six games with no guarantee of a long-term deal."

Bell still wants to retire a Steeler, despite a hectic last month. He believes the team will re-negotiate with him, either in the offseason or if they were to rescind the tag, which he doesn't expect.

"I could be naïve or hopeful, but at the end of the day I feel like that's what's going to happen," said Bell about re-signing with the team.

Bell knows he's taken a PR hit, and he understands why teammates were not happy with him. But he hopes they can respect their business and plans to talk with the team upon his arrival.

The primary reason he's sitting: Bell's $70-million offer from Pittsburgh over the summer contained $17 million in guarantees. That wasn't enough when Todd Gurley and David Johnson received at least twice that in guarantees.

"It's costing me some fans," said Bell of his decision to sit out. "A lot of people call me selfish but I'm really not. I'm dong it for guys behind me or guys who don't understand what's going on in the business of football. The 22 years I've been playing football, I've always brought value. I don't think the Steelers valued me as much. Knowing my worth and know I can tear a ligament, get surgery at any time, I knew I can't play 16 games with 400 or more touches."

Looks like the Steelers made a smart move by setting the trade requirements at a high pick and a player because no team will offer that when Bell could just leave after this year.

Maybe he is just planning on doing the James Harrison idea of just faking an injury come game day because why else would he risk injury?

If he's just folding to the pressure, he's a *****.

Say he does return and plays hard, will the Steelers already be out of playoff contention? Will his teammates welcome him back? Will the bandwagon fans of Pittsburgh forget how they all hated him and badmouthed him and cheer like no other because their meaning in life rests on the Steelers winning?
Reply/Quote
Typical!!!!!

Reply/Quote
Glad to see all the drama across state lines for once.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What a big head, he has! The Steelers now have James Connor, who's doing quite well. They could also draft another back next year, it's not like brand new star running backs don't come out, every year. And, at this point, it's a staring contest with the Steelers management. In the past, guys like Ben have been unselfish to the point of restructuring for less, in order to assure the quality on the rest of the roster. This buffoon thinks that he can hold an NFL team hostage? Give me a break..

I'm not saying that some team wouldn't pay him well in free agency, but after all of this grandstanding, just not nearly as much as he would be asking for.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 08:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Well, not now, but in week 7 (Steelers bye week)?

Looks like the Steelers made a smart move by setting the trade requirements at a high pick and a player because no team will offer that when Bell could just leave after this year.

Maybe he is just planning on doing the James Harrison idea of just faking an injury come game day because why else would he risk injury?

Say he does return and plays hard, will the Steelers already be out of playoff contention?  Will his teammates welcome him back?  Will the bandwagon fans of Pittsburgh forget how they all hated him and badmouthed him and cheer like no other because their meaning in life rests on the Steelers winning?

We'll see.  "Sources" said he was going to sign in week one, and he said he never said that.  
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 08:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What a big head, he has!  The Steelers now have James Connor, who's doing quite well.  They could also draft another back next year, it's not like brand new star running backs don't come out, every year.  And, at this point, it's a staring contest with the Steelers management.  In the past, guys like Ben have been unselfish to the point of restructuring for less, in order to assure the quality on the rest of the roster.  This buffoon thinks that he can hold an NFL team hostage?  Give me a break..

I'm not saying that some team wouldn't pay him well in free agency, but after all of this grandstanding, just not nearly as much as he would be asking for.

Conner sucks.  He had a great game against Cleveland, but quickly plummeted to earth.  He has just 97 total rushing yards over the last 3 games, and was held to under 20 yards in 2 of them.  

Ben has also never taken a pay cut.  He has allowed the Steelers to restructure his deal in the past by converting his salary for a year into bonus money that the Steelers could spread the cap hit of across several years.  This creates short term cap room by effectively pushing the cap hit off into future years, but he's still making the same money.
Reply/Quote
it will not matter they will be 1-5-1 at that point, but then NFL will give them the next 9 wins to make playoffs and win superobwl
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
He's doing it for the children. I would let Connor figure it out, maybe draft another guy, and use the money for people who want to be there.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
He'll be back, and Biz Markie will start his ass as soon as he shows up. There is no character within this organization.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'm just wondering if their OL will put much effort in blocking for him.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 10:46 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I'm just wondering if their OL will put much effort in blocking for him.

I know I wouldn't.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 11:07 AM)Wyche Wrote: I know I wouldn't.

Neither would I but their organization values winning over integrity, hence why they have a rapist at quarterback.
Reply/Quote
He always planned on returning by week 10, it was just a question of would he take that long to return.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 11:46 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Neither would I but their organization values winning over integrity, hence why they have a rapist at quarterback.

At one point your team had the most felons on your team of any team in the NFL and you still sucked. That means you valued felons, and losing over integrity. Now which one sounds worse?
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 08:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Well, not now, but in week 7 (Steelers bye week)?

Say he does return and plays hard, will the Steelers already be out of playoff contention?  Will his teammates welcome him back?  Will the bandwagon fans of Pittsburgh forget how they all hated him and badmouthed him and cheer like no other because their meaning in life rests on the Steelers winning?

Oh great, the drama queen returns. I don't like him as a human being, but I'll have to root for him to win as long as he's wearing a Steelers jersey. I already do that with the douche bag Ben, so I guess I'll have to do that with Bell. I was really hoping they could give Conner some more time. Yeah he hasn't been as great as the Steelers had hoped, but draft another running back to help him next year. I remember Troy Aikman had a rough first year and went 1-15 and everyone was ready to run him out of town. 
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 11:46 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Neither would I but their organization values winning over integrity, hence why they have a rapist at quarterback.

True enough.  What kind of person would endorse a probable sex-offender for any type of position of leadership?  It boggles the mind how quickly people will sell out their morals so they can be on the winning team.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 12:19 AM)Whatever Wrote: Conner sucks.  He had a great game against Cleveland, but quickly plummeted to earth.  He has just 97 total rushing yards over the last 3 games, and was held to under 20 yards in 2 of them.  

Ben has also never taken a pay cut.  He has allowed the Steelers to restructure his deal in the past by converting his salary for a year into bonus money that the Steelers could spread the cap hit of across several years.  This creates short term cap room by effectively pushing the cap hit off into future years, but he's still making the same money.
He doesn't suck. He's not Le'veon Bell, but he definitely doesn't suck. Slow starts on D vs KC and Baltimore changed up the game plan. With all of the other talent on offense they're just fine with Connor instead of Bell, especially considering the price differential. The second half Sunday was the only time the offense really looked shaky all year. Ben was missing everything. I give a lot of credit to Baltimore. They're second half performances have been amazing so far all year. You should be aware of that. 

(10-02-2018, 12:40 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: it will not matter they will be 1-5-1 at that point, but then NFL will give them the next 9 wins to make playoffs and win superobwl
More bitching about the refs in a thread that has nothing to do with the refs.....EVEN FURTHER proving my point that the Bengal fan base is the whiniest bunch of bitches in the NFL. 

(10-02-2018, 10:46 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I'm just wondering if their OL will put much effort in blocking for him.
I hope not. I hope they let him get slaughtered. 

(10-02-2018, 06:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: True enough.  What kind of person would endorse a probable sex-offender for any type of position of leadership?  It boggles the mind how quickly people will sell out their morals so they can be on the winning team.
Agreed. I mean who could root for a team that has had players arrested 44 times since 2000? Nine times for assault and six more for domestic violence and has employed such criminals as 

Odell Thurman
Cedric Benson
Amhad Brooks
AJ Nicolson
Chris Henry
Adam Jones
etc
etc
etc
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 04:36 PM)Captain Obvious Wrote: At one point your team had the most felons on your team of any team in the NFL and you still sucked. That means you valued felons, and losing over integrity. Now which one sounds worse?

I remember a lot of trouble but I don’t remember any felons. Thurman?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 07:55 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: He doesn't suck. He's not Le'veon Bell, but he definitely doesn't suck. Slow starts on D vs KC and Baltimore changed up the game plan. With all of the other talent on offense they're just fine with Connor instead of Bell, especially considering the price differential. The second half Sunday was the only time the offense really looked shaky all year. Ben was missing everything. I give a lot of credit to Baltimore. They're second half performances have been amazing so far all year. You should be aware of that. 

More bitching about the refs in a thread that has nothing to do with the refs.....EVEN FURTHER proving my point that the Bengal fan base is the whiniest bunch of bitches in the NFL. 

I hope not. I hope they let him get slaughtered. 

Agreed. I mean who could root for a team that has had players arrested 44 times since 2000? Nine times for assault and six more for domestic violence and has employed such criminals as 

Odell Thurman
Cedric Benson
Amhad Brooks
AJ Nicolson
Chris Henry
Adam Jones
etc
etc
etc

I think you missed the smack you in the face subtlety of Nately’s post.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 09:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I think you missed the smack you in the  face subtly of Nately’s post.

I think of it more as "grab you by the crotch" subtlety.  I just can't help it. 
Reply/Quote