Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell's contract negotiations...
(07-20-2017, 04:36 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Unless I'm wrong, which happens occasionally Wink the deadline to have a deal signed has passed and he is now a franchise tag player. He can play under the tag or not, but I don't think they can do a deal now.....

Yeah no deal until after the season.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2017, 02:49 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Hilarious 

LMAO

Muahaha

I just saw where he wants to be paid like a #1 back and a # receiver combined, since he was the second-best receiver on the team last year.

See below and notice that he'll be even more injury-prone by holding out  ThumbsUp

And you know it's just his ego because it's not like he's going to struggle to feed his family on 12 million or not have enough to put into retirement.

Another reason that I'm glad he's holding out is, say he signed the tag, showed up, had an unbelievable season, and then next season could hold the Steelers hostage for an even bigger payday or just bolt and go get big money somewhere else.  

He knows he's injury-prone, especially with all he does, even more especially all he does in the open field with cutting and putting wear-and-tear on his knees.

Will the Steelers finally break to a player's demands?!

And, depending on how much longer he holds out, his body will be more prone to injury than it already is just from not being ready for the beating he'll take and all the rigors it will do to his body.

I could see him trying to hold out through preseason just to try to show the Steelers what they're missing, which would make him more like glass than he already is.

Regarding my first point, I know people will say "so you think he's just hanging out at home and not working out on his own?"  To which I say, valid point, but there's a much bigger difference between doing it on your own with no contact and no opposition to make you move suddenly in ways that your body's not used to and just working out by running sprints, living, agility drills, etc.

I hope he holds out.

I saw where Ike Taylor said he wants to be paid as the top RB and as a #2 WR. ..... what a jerk off.

I'm all for these guys getting every dollar. But he hasn't finished a whole season ever.... Steelers just need to ride ol glass knees until he gets hurt again.
Reply/Quote
I'm really surprised the Steelers offered him as much as they did. He would have become the highest paid RB, BY FAR, in the league, which is somewhat out of character for that team. Shows you what I know. The fact that you only hear from him, and not his agent, is pretty telling. My guess is his agent wanted him to accept the offer. It's a risky move on his part, totally dependent on him performing at the highest level and staying healthy for at least this season and possibly next as well...something he hasn't done yet. The Steelers may end up being glad he turned it down.

I believe the one thing he IS being smart about is not signing the tag until right before the season. He technically is not under contract to the team so there isn't all that much to gain by going in now. It's not like hes a rookie that needs the reps. He's been in the offense for what, 3-4 years now? He knows it. And whatever they put in new, he'll pick up easily. Team chemistry? Not a problem...it's a business, many vets would do the same thing (sit out preseason) given the opportunity and he'll be welcomed back with open arms at the end of camp. Why risk some 2nd string lineman rolling over his ankle during camp or a meaningless preseason game.

So after all is said and done, I still say he'll sign the tag (right before the end of TC), the Steelers will run him into the ground, and hes's out of the division next season.
Reply/Quote
Can you imagine what will be going through his mind though, playing on a one year deal on two repaied knees, and having to run to Burfict's side of the field??? Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 09:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Can you imagine what will be going through his mind though, playing on a one year deal on two repaied knees, and having to run to Burfict's side of the field??? Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

He ought to take a knee...
Reply/Quote
I don't get it. Why wouldn't you want to stay with your team (a perennial contender) when they offer you the most money of anyone playing your position?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 05:26 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't get it. Why wouldn't you want to stay with your team (a perennial contender) when they offer you the most money of anyone playing your position?

He has proven over his career he is a selfish guy. And really he is money grabbing because he knows he is an injury away from being Barry foster.

Plus he probably knows he will be caught smoking dope again.
Reply/Quote
I must say it's amusing that Brown is giving Bell a hard time for wanting more money while simultaneously showing up to training camp in a convertible Rolls Royce.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 06:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I must say it's amusing that Brown is giving Bell a hard time for wanting more money while simultaneously showing up to training camp in a convertible Rolls Royce.

I never saw anywhere where Brown was giving Bell a hard time for wanting more money. They ALL want more money. He was giving him a hard time for not being in camp. Big difference. Bell's salary for 2017 is already decided. He'll make the exact same amount whether he reports tomorrow or a few weeks from now. Totally his choice.  So at this point, he's not sitting out for more money, he's sitting out because he CAN. Other players have been in the same situation and have reported with the rest of the team for camp and preseason. Bell decided not to. I think that's what irks Brown (and I'm sure other teammates as well).
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 11:34 AM)BMK Wrote: I'm really surprised the Steelers offered him as much as they did. He would have become the highest paid RB, BY FAR, in the league, which is somewhat out of character for that team. Shows you what I know.  The fact that you only hear from him, and not his agent, is pretty telling. My guess is his agent wanted him to accept the offer. It's a risky move on his part, totally dependent on him performing at the highest level and staying healthy for at least this season and possibly next as well...something he hasn't done yet. The Steelers may end up being glad he turned it down.

I believe the one thing he IS being smart about is not signing the tag until right before the season.  He technically is not under contract to the team so there isn't all that much to gain by going in now. It's not like hes a rookie that needs the reps.  He's been in the offense for what, 3-4 years now? He knows it. And whatever they put in new, he'll pick up easily. Team chemistry? Not a problem...it's a business, many vets would do the same thing (sit out preseason) given the opportunity and he'll be welcomed back with open arms at the end of camp. Why risk some 2nd string lineman rolling over his ankle during camp or a meaningless preseason game.  

So after all is said and done, I still say he'll sign the tag (right before the end of TC), the Steelers will run him into the ground, and hes's out of the division next season.

VERY unlike them........  and I think, after playing this season under the tag, he'll leave the Steelers because Ben will retire and he'll chase the money.  I think they free up 10 million next season if Ben retires and they could use it to sign Bell to a bigger deal, even though, as you said, it's out of character for them.  

Maybe he'll see the writing on the wall and stay with the Steelers, which I kind of hope he does and eats up that cap space when he's guaranteed to be injured again.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 01:12 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: VERY unlike them........  and I think, after playing this season under the tag, he'll leave the Steelers because Ben will retire and he'll chase the money.  I think they free up 10 million next season if Ben retires and they could use it to sign Bell to a bigger deal, even though, as you said, it's out of character for them.  

Maybe he'll see the writing on the wall and stay with the Steelers, which I kind of hope he does and eats up that cap space when he's guaranteed to be injured again.

I also think they want to see a full season out of Bell before the long term deal... 
Reply/Quote
If what I read is correct he wants 5 years guaranteed money of 15M per season. 
The guy already has some worn tread with plugs on those wheels. The Squeelers would be crazy to sign him to 5 years guaranteed when he's already missed significant time from both injuries and suspensions.
What would be hilarious is the Bengals signing him for vet minimum after he pisses all over the Squeelers generous offers.. 
Perhaps he's holding out for the 15M for 2 games against Vontez..He knows it's lights out after the first game.  HA!
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 01:23 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I also think they want to see a full season out of Bell before the long term deal... 

Which they'll never get between his suspensions, glass knees, and Vontaze Burfict!

Hilarious

Like I said, I LOVE IT!
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 10:35 PM)6andcounting Wrote: The amount of money he'll make in 2018 and beyond if in 2017 his he is league MVP and breaks every major single season rushing stat record still isn't all that much more that what he could have accepted this week. The ROI from interest you'd get on having that much more money now and having that much guaranteed money in the next few years is far more stable and far easier to predict than the future performance of an NFL running back.  His agent did him a major disservice by not convincing him the far less risky option with a slightly diminished potential return wasn't the only acceptable decision. 

Where are they now: 2022 edition
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote