Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ben Baby's "Three things to watch for the Bengals this offseason"
We actually don’t know if Hurst can stretch the field better because everyone’s YPR was down this year other than Mixon and Boyd. It was a short quick passing attack to counter the cover 2
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 10:20 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: We actually don’t know if Hurst can stretch the field better because everyone’s YPR was down this year other than Mixon and Boyd. It was a short quick passing attack to counter the cover 2

4 Verts against Cover 2 Man is one of the best cover 2 beaters. The TE seam is the best matchup in that scenario because he has a LB on him and a safety that has to either cover him or the boundary WR running the nine.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 10:38 PM)Synric Wrote: 4 Verts against Cover 2 Man is one of the best cover 2 beaters. The TE seam is the best matchup in that scenario because he has a LB on him and a safety that has to either cover him or the boundary WR running the nine.

It doesn’t take 20/20 vision to see the offense functioned differently in 2022 than it did in 2021.

Last year was big plays and inconsistency. This year was methodical and consistent
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 10:47 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: It doesn’t take 20/20 vision to see the offense functioned differently in 2022 than it did in 2021.

Last year was big plays and inconsistency. This year was methodical and consistent

You said they were forced underneath because of Cover 2. I was just pointing out there are vertical route combinations that attack cover 2 specifically from the TE. The TE Seam Route vs Cover 2 is a thing especially against man coverage. Deep Drive concepts verticle route over top and a 15 yard drive right behind it.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 10:53 PM)Synric Wrote: You said they were forced underneath because of Cover 2. I was just pointing out there are vertical route combinations that attack cover 2 specifically from the TE. The TE Seam Route vs Cover 2 is a thing especially against man coverage. Deep Drive concepts verticle route over top and a 15 yard drive right behind it.

What ever else defenses were running against cincy forced them to throw shorter and limit the explosive plays. That’s all I’m saying.

Without that context, somebody would look at the raw stats and think to themselves, has Jamarr lost his downfield ability? Has Joe Burrow regressed with the deep ball?

No, the bengals offense simply adapted
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 10:38 PM)Synric Wrote: 4 Verts against Cover 2 Man is one of the best cover 2 beaters. The TE seam is the best matchup in that scenario because he has a LB on him and a safety that has to either cover him or the boundary WR running the nine.

We saw Cover 3 and Deep Cover 2. No way Joe had time in 4 verts lol
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 10:56 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: What ever else defenses were running against cincy forced them to throw shorter and limit the explosive plays. That’s all I’m saying.

Without that context, somebody would look at the raw stats and think to themselves, has Jamarr lost his downfield ability? Has Joe Burrow regressed with the deep ball?

No, the bengals offense simply adapted

My point is you can still attack cover 2 vertically but it takes more than one deep threat one the same side to put that safety in conflict.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 09:26 PM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: Sample is a bum. Lol if the jury is still out on him, why is this even a discussion?

Age is literally the only reason I’m not ready to call him a bust yet. Only 26. Feel like I’d give him one more chance after he recovers from this injury
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 11:14 PM)Synric Wrote: My point is you can still attack cover 2 vertically but it takes more than one deep threat one the same side to put that safety in conflict.

The best is one usually the TE down the middle. They’d have done that but it wasn’t the same old Cover 2. It was a Cover 3 a lot of deep cover 2 and man under.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 11:21 PM)Housh Wrote: Age is literally the only reason I’m not ready to call him a bust yet. Only 26. Feel like I’d give him one more chance after he recovers from this injury

He’s pretty much confirmed to be a decent blocker with little receiver skill and athleticism.

To expect anything more is insanity on your part
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 11:42 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The best is one usually the TE down the middle. They’d have done that but it wasn’t the same old Cover 2. It was a Cover 3 a lot of deep cover 2 and man under.

Guy saying deep cover 2 means nothing. Playing you're safeties too deep in cover 2 opens holes on the sideline. They only do that in certain prevent situations.

Cover 2 under man is the exact defense you run 4 verts against to put the safety in conflict. Cover 3 its the flats because the outside corner is playing a deep zone.

Reply/Quote
I for one would love to have Hurst back, but not at the expense of not being able to shore up our younger talent in the future. I truly believe we will be drafting one in this years draft, and I actually think our TE room next year will be something like this:

1) Irv Smith-(24) (Vikings)- was replaced by Hockinson, but still managed 91/ 858 9 TD's in 3 years 9.4 avg. He ran a 6.2 40 yd dash and is listed at 6'2 245. I think he signs for under 4 million per year.

2) Luke Schoonmaker - (Michigan) probably our 5th rd pick, fits a #2 TE perfectly in our system at 6'6 250.

3) Mitchell Wilcox- stays at #3 on depth chart.

- I just dont see them putting a high price value at this position, while it can be filled via draft and 2nd tier FA's
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 12:53 AM)schroomytunes Wrote: I for one would love to have Hurst back, but not at the expense of not being able to shore up our younger talent in the future. I truly believe we will be drafting one in this years draft, and I actually think our TE room next year will be something like this:

1) Irv Smith-(24) (Vikings)- was replaced by Hockinson, but still managed 91/ 858 9 TD's in 3 years 9.4 avg. He ran a 6.2 40 yd dash and is listed at 6'2 245. I think he signs for under 4 million per year.

2) Luke Schoonmaker - (Michigan) probably our 5th rd pick, fits a #2 TE perfectly in our system at 6'6 250.

3) Mitchell Wilcox- stays at #3 on depth chart.

- I just dont see them putting a high price value at this position, while it can be filled via draft and 2nd tier FA's

FWIW in my Madden league i simply let Hurst walk and drafted 2 TEs. Rounds 3 and 6. Just picked the best blocking TE that was on the board at the time. ANYONE we get is gonna get a good number of receptions
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 12:41 AM)Synric Wrote: Guy saying deep cover 2 means nothing. Playing you're safeties too deep in cover 2 opens holes on the sideline. They only do that in certain prevent situations.

Cover 2 under man is the exact defense you run 4 verts against to put the safety in conflict. Cover 3 its the flats because the outside corner is playing a deep zone.

A guy saying cover 2 versus a cover 2 with safeties dropping deeper means it’s not different leads me to this. Brian Baldinger NFL network and Joe Goodberry are good follows for you. Our protection in a 4 vertical wasn’t there and with the safeties playing deep worse.

Reply/Quote

What is crazy is that early in the season the TE seam was there a few times and Joe didn't look Hayden's way.  We hit a couple times this year but I'm not sure we ran it as much as we could/should have.

Reply/Quote
All of this talk about who we need to let walk and who we need to keep...  not one damn mention about Dusty!

Dusty Cart was a standout performer last season yet seemingly disappeared into obscurity this year.

We should probably just let him roll.

[Image: FBHH3C7WQAYsgxd?format=jpg&name=900x900]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 04:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't see why Hurst couldn't exploit that. Is this more an offensive scheme problem? A QB not taking advantage problem? Or does Hurst not have the short area quickness to do the job?

He was terrible in avg, one of lowest as a starting TE and did not look effective in middle of field, not worth taking risk with dropping  3 yr 20 plus million if that is what he wants, let him walk like CJ.
Reply/Quote
This site is predicting the Bengals pick as:

28. Cincinnati Bengals: Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah
Hayden Hurst was a much more valuable part of the Bengals' offense than people realize, but the team can get younger and cheaper by drafting Kincaid. Kincaid was one of college football's best-kept secrets in 2022 and will likely be the same in the 2023 NFL Draft class. He has seen his stock rise recently and the Bengals would be wise to add him to their top-flight passing attack.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cardinals/analysis/post-super-bowl-two-round-nfl-mock-draft

For the second round, they predict:

60. Cincinnati Bengals: Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 08:44 PM)Nepa Wrote: This site is predicting the Bengals pick as:

28. Cincinnati Bengals: Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah
Hayden Hurst was a much more valuable part of the Bengals' offense than people realize, but the team can get younger and cheaper by drafting Kincaid. Kincaid was one of college football's best-kept secrets in 2022 and will likely be the same in the 2023 NFL Draft class. He has seen his stock rise recently and the Bengals would be wise to add him to their top-flight passing attack.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cardinals/analysis/post-super-bowl-two-round-nfl-mock-draft

For the second round, they predict:

60. Cincinnati Bengals: Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee

Kincaid is an excellent TE, not sure Wright will be anywhere near #60.  PFF has him mocked to us in the 1st.

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 12:51 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He was terrible in avg, one of lowest as a starting TE and did not look effective in middle of field, not worth taking risk with dropping  3 yr 20 plus million if that is what he wants, let him walk like CJ.

Your takes a re so bad.

Reply/Quote