Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ben called the last play!!!
I hear people say that Ben called the last play that won the Steelers game. Umm, I watched the play and that's not something I would say highlights Ben in a good way. The reason they scored a TD there was because Bell is a fantastic back and with a herculean 2nd effort got the ball across the goalline.

Watch the play again. Bell takes the direct snap runs slightly to the left and gets stuffed well short of the goalline. However, because he's a great back, he's able to keep churning his legs and gets close enough he can stretch the ball across the goalline. Now, had he taken the direct snap and walked into the endzone untouched, yeah then you can sing the praises of the guy who called the play.

People act like Ben is like some play calling genius when the fact of the matter is he's lucky he's got a great running back on his team.

I give credit to Tomlin for going for a TD there even if he idiotically thought he had enough time to do so AND call a TO if it failed.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 09:35 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I hear people say that Ben called the last play that won the Steelers game. Umm, I watched the play and that's not something I would say highlights Ben in a good way. The reason they scored a TD there was because Bell is a fantastic back and with a herculean 2nd effort got the ball across the goalline.

Watch the play again. Bell takes the direct snap runs slightly to the left and gets stuffed well short of the goalline. However, because he's a great back, he's able to keep churning his legs and gets close enough he can stretch the ball across the goalline. Now, had he taken the direct snap and walked into the endzone untouched, yeah then you can sing the praises of the guy who called the play.

People act like Ben is like some play calling genius when the fact of the matter is he's lucky he's got a great running back on his team.

I give credit to Tomlin for going for a TD there even if he idiotically thought he had enough time to do so AND call a TO if it failed.

Actually they reported yesterday that he did not call THAT play.  They play he drew up was the 72 yarder for the TD.  Apparently he actually watches the games and saw something the coaches who get paid to notice these things did not and called the play.

I guess it was some mix up on twitter, but I never saw where it was said he called the final play anyway.
I will be taking no further questions at this time.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, there were conflicting reports, but it all stemmed from Vick's NFLN interview after the game. It was the TD to Wheaton that Ben called. It's a play that's in Ben's playbook, but not in Vick's. Ben's convinced the coaches to let him teach it to Vick during the break and ran it first play on the next drive. I always thought it was supposed to be the coaches who make play calls from the sidelines and teach players the plays, but the coaches probably wanted to call another mis-timed out route that Vick could throw right to the corner.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 10:09 AM)6andcounting Wrote: Yeah, there were conflicting reports, but it all stemmed from Vick's NFLN interview after the game. It was the TD to Wheaton that Ben called. It's a play that's in Ben's playbook, but not in Vick's. Ben's convinced the coaches to let him teach it to Vick during the break and ran it first play on the next drive. I always thought it was supposed to be the coaches who make play calls from the sidelines and teach players the plays, but the coaches probably wanted to call another mis-timed out route that Vick could throw right to the corner.

You expect a coach to make a call?

Which team do you watch?

Smirk 

Tomlin is so afraid of Vick making a "mistake" he got the game dumbed down so even Vick can understand it.  Big Grin 

98% of the fans and even the talking heads know you can't have Vick drop straight back, read a defense and make a play.  There are throws he was never able to make...let alone now.  But the coaches?  They seem to think that the 15th time they dump it over the middle to Bell will work.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 09:46 AM)GMDino Wrote: Actually they reported yesterday that he did not call THAT play.  They play he drew up was the 72 yarder for the TD.  Apparently he actually watches the games and saw something the coaches who get paid to notice these things did not and called the play.

I guess it was some mix up on twitter, but I never saw where it was said he called the final play anyway.

yeah all i saw was Ben was telling Bell not to DANCE but to plung for the EndZone
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 09:46 AM)GMDino Wrote: Actually they reported yesterday that he did not call THAT play.  They play he drew up was the 72 yarder for the TD.  Apparently he actually watches the games and saw something the coaches who get paid to notice these things did not and called the play.

If that's the case ... okay.

But still, it wasn't the call that made the play successful, it's the PLAYERS.

Shame on Ben for not letting Vick take credit for VICK'S play.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 12:58 PM)PhilHos Wrote: If that's the case ... okay.

But still, it wasn't the call that made the play successful, it's the PLAYERS.

Shame on Ben for not letting Vick take credit for VICK'S play.

Vick is the one who told the press that Ben drew up the play.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 12:58 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Shame on Ben for not letting Vick take credit for VICK'S play.

Agreed, exactly what I said as soon as this story came out.

Ben is a complete narcissist.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 01:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: Vick is the one who told the press that Ben drew up the play.

Proof?

Even if it's the case, how do you know Ben didn't tell him to say it? Unless we're to assume he's such a nice humble guy that he wouldn't do that kind of thing.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 01:02 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Proof?

Even if it's the case, how do you know Ben didn't tell him to say it? Unless we're to assume he's such a nice humble guy that he wouldn't do that kind of thing.

Confused

https://twitter.com/nfl/status/653787855563587585

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 01:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: Confused

https://twitter.com/nfl/status/653787855563587585

ThumbsUp

Dude, just look at the freeze frame beneath that quote. Vick looks as if he's a hostage in a terrorist video!

He said that because Ben told him to say that. 100000% guaranteed and no amount of evidence will change the fact that I know it's true.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 01:11 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Dude, just look at the freeze frame beneath that quote. Vick looks as if he's a hostage in a terrorist video!

He said that because Ben told him to say that. 100000% guaranteed and no amount of evidence will change the fact that I know it's true.

[Image: 147741-weird-al-seems-a-little-crazy-1ucJ.gif]
Reply/Quote
Not the thread I thought was going to turn into a conspiracy thread, but okay.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 10:09 AM)6andcounting Wrote: Yeah, there were conflicting reports, but it all stemmed from Vick's NFLN interview after the game. It was the TD to Wheaton that Ben called. It's a play that's in Ben's playbook, but not in Vick's. Ben's convinced the coaches to let him teach it to Vick during the break and ran it first play on the next drive. I always thought it was supposed to be the coaches who make play calls from the sidelines and teach players the plays, but the coaches probably wanted to call another mis-timed out route that Vick could throw right to the corner.

So the morale of the story is as long as Ben calls the play, the Haley has a shot at keeping his job????
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 02:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So the morale of the story is as long as Ben calls the play, the Haley has a shot at keeping his job????

Tomlin took the blame (indirectly, as always) for the 4th down calls against the Ravens, so yes.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 01:11 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: He said that because Ben told him to say that. 100000% guaranteed and no amount of evidence will change the fact that I know it's true.

This is the perfect website for you.   ThumbsUp
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 01:13 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: 147741-weird-al-seems-a-little-crazy-1ucJ.gif]

(10-14-2015, 02:02 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Not the thread I thought was going to turn into a conspiracy thread, but okay.

Disagree. Ben forced Vick to say that to look cool because he's an asshole. It is self-evident.

Now, let's get back to the real issue: the indisputable fact that Antonio Brown has been exposed as a mediocre system WR who has simply benefited from having a QB who over-targets him.
Reply/Quote