Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bene' Benwikere
By Chykie and Jones hopefully.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 06:35 PM)eoxyod Wrote: More than okay with him signing. He has some talent and we have great DB coaching. He'll at least compete for the last CB spot. After doing a solid job as a slot corner, he was thrust on the outside and getting a ton of snaps after the Panthers let their entire secondary disappear. Then after Julio's near record breaking day Bene got scapegoated and lost a lot of confidence. See now this is a good flyer pickup

I would have echoed this when we HAD Vance Joseph as the secondary coach, or even when Zim was still here.  According to Eric Thomas, former Bengals who had attended a number of practices last year, the return of Kevin Coyle saw a decrease in focus and more "clowning around" in practice than ever before.  He said in particular that in the past, Vance would have never tolerated that and that every pass had to be defensed.  Those observations sure proved true at the start of the season.  

That being said, I have no problem bringing him in to push guys like WJIII and Dennard.  I still think they sign Dre K. Maybe then, they would finally release Adam Jones.  

For all the folks claiming we need to sign Zeitler, although I disagree with that sentiment, this would free up quite a bit of money for the next three years that could go toward that...and roll with the young guys.  Or sign Amukamura....I would be fine with either option, so long as Jones is no longer on the team.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Keeping our own aren't we Mikey..
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I liked this kid a lot coming out of college. He's got great ball skills and good hands. Had a very good rookie year in Carolina playing the slot, when Norman was covering the opponents' No. 1s. He just doesn't have the top-end speed to be a No. 1 CB, or even to play the outside consistently in our system. I think he's a good addition, so long as we don't make him cover Julio, AB, Odell, etc.
Reply/Quote
I'm hoping that this means the end of Pacman, not Kirk.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 08:56 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I remember him making plays when the Panthers made the SB Run.

He could be a really good addition as our #3 corner..

I don't know what to think of this addition...

We have Pacman, Kirkpatrick, Dennard, WJ3, Keivarree Russell, Shaw and now Benwikere.

I'm guessing this will happen by end of offseason:

#1: Kirk
#2: WJ3
#3: Shaw
#4: Dennard
#5: Benwikere
#6: Keivaree Russell

Or Pacman doesn't get released? I honestly am confused.

Or maybe Shaw finally moved to safety??! (One can dream, right?)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if this is a replacement for Pacman before official FA opens.
Reply/Quote
I live in Charlotte and watched a bunch of games and thought this guy was pretty decent after laughing at his last name. He's serviceable and can contribute. I wouldn't rely on him starting but he's not being brought in start.
Reply/Quote
Benwikere is a slot/nickel CB. He shouldn't be relied upon as an outside starting CB. If Benwikere sticks, I hope to see either A) Shaw playing more safety, and/or B) Dennard getting reps outside since that's a better fit.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 01:02 PM)Au165 Wrote: The more I think about it, the more I wonder if this is a replacement for Pacman before official FA opens.

I highly, highly doubt it. They want to see the legal process play out, and they pushed it back (again) to March while he does his "anger management" class. That's awfully close to the start of FA.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 03:14 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I highly, highly doubt it. They want to see the legal process play out, and they pushed it back (again) to March while he does his "anger management" class. That's awfully close to the start of FA.

Exactly, so this way they have a replacement if they have to wait until late in the FA period to get his replacement. This allowed them to make a proactive move, also insulates them if Dre's deal he is asking for is outrageous.
Reply/Quote
With this signing, if he does stay...

I honestly don't know how Dennard fits if Pacman isn't released and Kirk is resigned?
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
It's not a bad signing. If he makes the 53, he'll most likely be a ST player while being a backup slot CB.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Anybody that has frequented the draft forum may recall my thoughts on Bene. I am happy with this signing
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 04:16 PM)milksheikh Wrote: With this signing, if he does stay...

I honestly don't know how Dennard fits if Pacman isn't released and Kirk is resigned?

I actually think Dennard could be a Safety in the mold of Devin McCourty

Reply/Quote
Depth signing. Not bad. Not great either.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 11:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I actually think Dennard could be a Safety in the mold of Devin McCourty

Has he even gotten any snaps at safety yet?
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 01:17 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Has he even gotten any snaps at safety yet?

Not that I'm aware; however, he is very physical at CB. i always thought Shaw could be the next Safety; however, DD looks more like the enforcer type.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 04:16 PM)milksheikh Wrote: With this signing, if he does stay...

(02-15-2017, 11:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I actually think Dennard could be a Safety in the mold of Devin McCourty

I think this is Dennard's future regardless of Adam or Dre. I don't think he has the speed to play outside CB, or the technique to play inside CB.

Not to mention he was passed by Shaw on the depth chart.

- - - - - -

Side note.. this thread got moved to FA? I thought FA was more for speculation/wishes/what-if scenarios and the like and the main Jungle Noise was fine for players being added to the team.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 06:35 PM)eoxyod Wrote: More than okay with him signing. He has some talent and we have great DB coaching. He'll at least compete for the last CB spot. After doing a solid job as a slot corner, he was thrust on the outside and getting a ton of snaps after the Panthers let their entire secondary disappear. Then after Julio's near record breaking day Bene got scapegoated and lost a lot of confidence. See now this is a good flyer pickup

Yep, well said Eox. This was a good move. This guy was damn good in 2015 for a rookie.

This guy is young as well. I also like Garrett the 3rd rounder we brought in last year from the Chiefs.

Lots of competition at Corner. From the article i just read on bengals.com it says we are most likely bringing back Dre.

I am guessing Whit and Dre will be back and we let Zeitler go which i find to be really dumb with how our O-line played
last year. You just don't let the weakness continue to degrade, if it was me i would bring back Zeit and let Dre go if we
had to pick between the two.
Reply/Quote