Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengal Coaching Staff Adjustments
Many were harsh with Taylor given his history with UC and past failures. Many questioned his decision on sweet lou partly because it was like this 6th or so pick for DC. But what a trio of Callahan, Taylor and Lou. This coaching staff is finally getting national attention as one of the best coaching staff at "on-the-fly" adjustments in the game. Brilliant adjustments and fantastic game plans. I think Taylor and Callahan are one of the best tandems for initial game planning in the NFL.

Enjoy having Callahan and Sweet lou this year and next, but after, one or both will probably be gone.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
How about all of the different looks out of the Chase sweeps yesterday? It looked like they had been setting those up all year. That play to Hurst for the TD with the decoy to Chase was an excellent design executed to perfection by Joe, Chase, and Hurst.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Yes. They've greatly improved over their 1st couple seasons.

No question they are a Top 5 NFL Staff.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: How about all of the different looks out of the Chase sweeps yesterday? It looked like they had been setting those up all year. That play to Hurst for the TD with the decoy to Chase was an excellent design executed to perfection by Joe, Chase, and Hurst.

You bring up a good point. Elite teams don't need to show their entire playbook against some random team in Game 5.

With teams making halftime adjustments, Lou seems to switch up the gameplan in the 2nd half like Hilton blitzing.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You bring up a good point. Elite teams don't need to show their entire playbook against some random team in Game 5.

With teams making halftime adjustments, Lou seems to switch up the gameplan in the 2nd half like Hilton blitzing.

Lou is the master of 2nd half wrinkles. He unleashed the beast with Mike Hilton yesterday! Saw Bell on a couple of blitzes too.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: Lou is the master of 2nd half wrinkles. He unleashed the beast with Mike Hilton yesterday! Saw Bell on a couple of blitzes too.

It's pretty crazy. I think the failure in Year 1 and that expose fuelled them to work harder and learn and adjust.

They sucked Years 1 and 2. But they worked hard and grinded through it.

Guys like Staley and Kingsbury did ok early on, but never improved.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's pretty crazy. I think the failure in Year 1 and that expose fuelled them to work harder and learn and adjust.

I think it was two fold.

One, yes, they were definitely learning on the fly.

Two, Zac had a specific type of player he was looking for, and he, his staff, the scouts, Duke, and the rest of the FO did an outstanding job of finding guys that fit the mold. Last year was a very pleasant surprise for me. I expected a 9 or so win season and signs of improvement, but with that o line, I feared we wouldn't fare much better. Sure the offense was a bit limited, but they found a way around that handicap and damn near won it all. They fixed the line, and showed last year was no fluke. The game balls to the fans is just icing on the cake. I think he really does get the whole culture thing, and extends it all the way to the fans. How many coaches do you see making sure they acknowledge the fan base over and over? 

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:05 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: How about all of the different looks out of the Chase sweeps yesterday? It looked like they had been setting those up all year. That play to Hurst for the TD with the decoy to Chase was an excellent design executed to perfection by Joe, Chase, and Hurst.

I know someone involved and they hinted to me that they’ve been setting things up all year offensively for the playoff run. Taylor is the perfect combination of old school and new school. They just showed the Hurst TD on Sports Center and Taylor’s instant reaction he was crazy excited. Has to be exhilarating when it works like that.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
If I'm Mike Brown I'm setting a meeting with Lou to redo his contract and making him the highest paid DC in the league
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I know someone involved and they hinted to me that they’ve been setting things up all year offensively for the playoff run. Taylor is the perfect combination of old school and new school. They just showed the Hurst TD on Sports Center and Taylor’s instant reaction he was crazy excited. Has to be exhilarating when it works like that.

That's what I was hinting at. It certainly looks like they were playing the long game on the infamous Chase sweeps. Had Chase in motion behind the QB and RB, lined him up next to the QB, then ran with Mixon and threw out of the sets. It was beautiful.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:28 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: That's what I was hinting at. It certainly looks like they were playing the long game on the infamous Chase sweeps. Had Chase in motion behind the QB and RB, lined him up next to the QB, then ran with Mixon and threw out of the sets. It was beautiful.

Zac is old school and probably from his early years coaching with his FIL Mike Sherman. He’s big on showing looks even in game that may not be successful in order to get the big play.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's pretty crazy. I think the failure in Year 1 and that expose fuelled them to work harder and learn and adjust.

in all fairness, Taylor made questionable adjustments and calls his first 2-3 years as head coach.  But he, Callahan and Lou have become masters at reading the room so to speak.  They are extremely effective at showing purposeful tendencies and Burrow is the master engineer of precise decision making.  The proximity of route trees is such that it is hard to tell where Burrow is going with the ball.  Give Burrow an improved OL, Bengals would be unstoppable apart from injuries.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think it was two fold.

One, yes, they were definitely learning on the fly.

Two, Zac had a specific type of player he was looking for, and he, his staff, the scouts, Duke, and the rest of the FO did an outstanding job of finding guys that fit the mold. Last year was a very pleasant surprise for me. I expected a 9 or so win season and signs of improvement, but with that o line, I feared we wouldn't fare much better. Sure the offense was a bit limited, but they found a way around that handicap and damn near won it all. They fixed the line, and showed last year was no fluke. The game balls to the fans is just icing on the cake. I think he really does get the whole culture thing, and extends it all the way to the fans. How many coaches do you see making sure they acknowledge the fan base over and over? 

There is a personality or character blue print the Bengals are going after and it is not just selecting leaders or captains.  This coaching staff understand the psychology of team chemistry and avoid ego players.  There are no egos on this team
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I know someone involved and they hinted to me that they’ve been setting things up all year offensively for the playoff run. Taylor is the perfect combination of old school and new school. They just showed the Hurst TD on Sports Center and Taylor’s instant reaction he was crazy excited. Has to be exhilarating when it works like that.

I expected this when watching both Ravens games.  Bengals were showing nothing.  Ravens truly believe if this and that, they were the better team.   Bengals were going very vanilla.   
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If I'm Mike Brown I'm setting a meeting with Lou to redo his contract and making him the highest paid DC in the league

National media really pushing for him to get a HC job.  I think Lou's personality is off-putting so it may be tough sell as HC. But I think you are rignt, pay the man.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: How about all of the different looks out of the Chase sweeps yesterday? It looked like they had been setting those up all year. That play to Hurst for the TD with the decoy to Chase was an excellent design executed to perfection by Joe, Chase, and Hurst.

i wonder if getting the off-sides for a first down was a practiced play. Until then, the silent count involved the guard moving his arm once for the ball to be snapped. That time, the ball wasn't snapped until the second time he moved. Caused an offside on the Bills. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 01:53 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Many were harsh with Taylor given his history with UC and past failures.  Many questioned his decision on sweet lou partly because it was like this 6th or so pick for DC.  But what a trio of Callahan, Taylor and Lou.  This coaching staff is finally getting national attention as one of the best coaching staff at "on-the-fly" adjustments in the game.  Brilliant adjustments and fantastic game plans.  I think Taylor and Callahan are one of the best tandems for initial game planning in the NFL.  

Enjoy having Callahan and Sweet lou this year and next, but after, one or both will probably be gone.

3 likely 4 years is enough to establish a "program". Losing both will suck, but the team is/was young enough to grow with them and all have come up under their tutelage. They have been here long enough to set the foundation and our VETS know all the secrets (specifically on D, since Zac can manage the Offense even if/when some fresh eyes come in to replace Callahan). Even some of our internal coaches that may replace them should have had enough time to pick up some of the tricks that they brought (how to make halftime adjustments). 

Losing coaches comes with the territory. With the success we've had and hope to continue to have, having the same coaches for 4 years is really all that you can ask for.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 03:57 PM)Nepa Wrote: i wonder if getting the off-sides for a first down was a practiced play. Until then, the silent count involved the guard moving his arm once for the ball to be snapped. That time, the ball wasn't snapped until the second time he moved. Caused an offside on the Bills. 

I think so.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 03:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: 3 likely 4 years is enough to establish a "program". Losing both will suck, but the team is/was young enough to grow with them and all have come up under their tutelage. They have been here long enough to set the foundation and our VETS know all the secrets (specifically on D, since Zac can manage the Offense even if/when some fresh eyes come in to replace Callahan). Even some of our internal coaches that may replace them should have had enough time to pick up some of the tricks that they brought (how to make halftime adjustments). 

Losing coaches comes with the territory. With the success we've had and hope to continue to have, having the same coaches for 4 years is really all that you can ask for.

Who is setting in wings on defense?  I think Dan P will take over offense, if Callahan leaves.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 03:57 PM)Nepa Wrote: i wonder if getting the off-sides for a first down was a practiced play. Until then, the silent count involved the guard moving his arm once for the ball to be snapped. That time, the ball wasn't snapped until the second time he moved. Caused an offside on the Bills. 

I think it definitely was, and Joey Franchise picked the perfect time to utilize it. We were going to try it again, but Volson jumped, LoL.

Reply/Quote