Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengal Coaching Staff Adjustments
I've always thought they were high on Livingston and I've thought our Safety's and CB's have always done well over the past 2 decades. He also knows all of the D schemes of the past from Zimmer to Marvin to Pally, and now Lou. So he has a lot to pull from and has saw the success (and failures).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 01:53 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Many were harsh with Taylor given his history with UC and past failures.  Many questioned his decision on sweet lou partly because it was like this 6th or so pick for DC.  But what a trio of Callahan, Taylor and Lou.  This coaching staff is finally getting national attention as one of the best coaching staff at "on-the-fly" adjustments in the game.  Brilliant adjustments and fantastic game plans.  I think Taylor and Callahan are one of the best tandems for initial game planning in the NFL.  

Enjoy having Callahan and Sweet lou this year and next, but after, one or both will probably be gone.

Romo was really pushing for Lou and Frazier to be Head Coaches in this game lol

Good thing for us, Defensive minded head coaches are a thing of the past. Brian Callahan could be gone after our SB win though.

Love how we do what no other team does, we take the ball first on Offense and don't defer to the 2nd half as that is when our 
Defense rules the day.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 04:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Romo was really pushing for Lou and Frazier to be Head Coaches in this game lol

Good thing for us, Defensive minded head coaches are a thing of the past. Brian Callahan could be gone after our SB win though.

Love how we do what no other team does, we take the ball first on Offense and don't defer to the 2nd half as that is when our 
Defense rules the day.

When we first changed up the status quo, and began to take the ball first on offense, I was so surprised. The whole league for years followed the Belichick standard of kicking off and then taking the ball to start the second half. This team said to heck with that, we're confident in what we're doing and we're taking the ball first. 

They took the coin toss at the beginning of the game and made it into a Bengals win no matter how the coin lands. Other teams must be disillusioned from the coin toss on.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 03:50 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: in all fairness, Taylor made questionable adjustments and calls his first 2-3 years as head coach.  But he, Callahan and Lou have become masters at reading the room so to speak.  They are extremely effective at showing purposeful tendencies and Burrow is the master engineer of precise decision making.  The proximity of route trees is such that it is hard to tell where Burrow is going with the ball.  Give Burrow an improved OL, Bengals would be unstoppable apart from injuries.  

There is a learning curb in any job. Look at my signature, Bill Belichick  did not not achieve it early in his career, was fired by the Browns. We all know how he learned and got better, plus got a QB named Brady. JB no doubt helps ZT win games, but ZT teams are disciplined, normally do not commit a lot of penalties. He and his staff also seem to make great half time adjustments. Last, I think many overlook is ZT and his staff develop players which is huge in NFL where cap dollars can mess up a great team quickly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 04:13 PM)Nepa Wrote: When we first changed up the status quo, and began to take the ball first on offense, I was so surprised. The whole league for years followed the Belichick standard of kicking off and then taking the ball to start the second half. This team said to heck with that, we're confident in what we're doing and we're taking the ball first. 

They took the coin toss at the beginning of the game and made it into a Bengals win no matter how the coin lands. Other teams must be disillusioned from the coin toss on.

Statistically, it's always better to DEFER as that's the ONLY way you can possibly get 2 consecutive possessions (barring an onside kick recovery.)

Scoring to end the 1st half, then scoring again to start the 2nd half is a HUGE momentum booster, and has resulted in MANY wins for teams, over the years.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 04:13 PM)Nepa Wrote: When we first changed up the status quo, and began to take the ball first on offense, I was so surprised. The whole league for years followed the Belichick standard of kicking off and then taking the ball to start the second half. This team said to heck with that, we're confident in what we're doing and we're taking the ball first. 

We took away the coin toss lol
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 04:15 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Statistically, it's always better to DEFER as that's the ONLY way you can possibly get 2 consecutive possessions (barring an onside kick recovery.)

Scoring to end the 1st half, then scoring again to start the 2nd half is a HUGE momentum booster, and has resulted in MANY wins for teams, over the years.

What you are saying is that it's an emotional boost to score at the end of the first half and beginning of the second half. Of course.

But what is not being counted is the emotional boost to score at the beginning of a game and putting a team in the hole. That momentum booster. And putting a damper on the opposing fans in their stadium right off the bat.

Or yourself being the team to score at the end of the first half.  Or stopping the team at the end of the first half. Or having a defense that makes adjustments and shuts down the other team at the start of the second half. Or flipping the field position on the first possession. One doesn't need only to get momentum by possessing the ball twice in a row. One can get it by the way they start the game, or by stopping the other team's plan to get the ball on two consecutive possessions, or by just shutting down the other team at the start of the second half.

I think the Bengals have been starting with the ball as a kind of "we're confident enough in our offense to take the ball first." A kind of "we're not scared by the bright lights or crowd." 

I don't know what the statistics are. But the Bengals are sending a message by taking the ball first that they are not going to follow the status quo and are a confident bunch. "Give us the damn ball" mentality. 

And now when there is a coin toss, the opposing team feels like the Bengals are getting their way no matter the outcome.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 04:34 PM)Nepa Wrote: What you are saying is that it's an emotional boost to score at the end of the first half and beginning of the second half. Of course.

But what is not being counted is the emotional boost to score at the beginning of a game and putting a team in the hole. That momentum booster. And putting a damper on the opposing fans in their stadium right off the bat.

Or yourself being the team to score at the end of the first half.  Or stopping the team at the end of the first half. Or having a defense that makes adjustments and shuts down the other team at the start of the second half. Or flipping the field position on the first possession. One doesn't need only to get momentum by possessing the ball twice in a row. One can get it by the way they start the game, or by stopping the other team's plan to get the ball on two consecutive possessions, or by just shutting down the other team at the start of the second half.

I think the Bengals have been starting with the ball as a kind of "we're confident enough in our offense to take the ball first." A kind of "we're not scared by the bright lights or crowd." 

I don't know what the statistics are. But the Bengals are sending a message by taking the ball first that they are not going to follow the status quo and are a confident bunch. "Give us the damn ball" mentality. 

And now when there is a coin toss, the opposing team feels like the Bengals are getting their way no matter the outcome.

Just my thoughts. When you defer and hold a team in their first drive you seize the momentum. On the other hand if you are the offense and score your first drive and then hold the other team and then go score again the complexion of the game has dramatically changed. Really the decision should be based on your strength. If you really like your defense you should always defer. I don’t think there’s a fail safe strategy. If you like your defense in this matchup or offense make the decision based on the game and of course game conditions.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote