Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengal D!
with all the talk about our offense imploding and firingzampese, the bengal D has been TOUGH these first 2 fames.

20 points to Baltimore and 13 to Houstan. Anytime your defense gives up 20 or less, that's almost stifling.

Lets try to make this thread positive, the defense has earned a positive thread.
Reply/Quote
They look good. And that's without Burfict, and with Pacman out the 1st game.

Aaron Rodgers and the Packers will be the real test though. The Ravens and Texans aren't exactly offensive juggernauts.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Absolutely. The Packers will be the real test for the D, but if you have good team defense you are supposed to have these numbers. I mean, how many minutes has the defense been on the field these past 2 games? A lot longer than the offense, that's for damn sure.
Reply/Quote
and that's with the offense going 3 and out every f"ing time and giving the opposing offense chance after chance after chance after chance... That's still being positive right?
Reply/Quote
We have played to bad units on offense I want to see what this defense is capable of doing against a good unit. Honestly we should have held the Texans to three points on Thursday.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I know a lot of you won't agree but me personally, I think our D is pretty bad. Not as atrocious as the offense of course but they are not what we think they are. The first two games had horrible offenses, from Flacco not playing a pre season snap only completing something like 7 passes for 129 yards to Watson making his first start. We didn't stop Flacco he was missing wide open receivers until Balt just shut it down themselves and ran it down our throats. Both teams were missing tons of weapons and still moved the ball. If our D is even average why didn't we capitalize of of these poor offenses. When we play a healthy good offense it's going to be bad. But that's just my .02.
Reply/Quote
Hats off to our D. They have done their job.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 05:23 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: with all the talk about our offense imploding and firingzampese, the bengal D has been TOUGH these first 2 fames.

20 points to Baltimore and 13 to Houstan. Anytime your defense gives up 20 or less, that's almost stifling.

Lets try to make this thread positive, the defense has earned a positive thread.

It's really impossible to say the D is good.

Baltimore got a huge lead and ran the ball to kill the clock the entire 2nd half.

Houston had their #2 WR out and only 3 healthy WR's, all 3 TE's injured and relied on a practice squad TE, and a rookie QB. He ran for a 49 yard TD with some of the most pathetic tackling I've seen from a Bengals team, and then in the 4th quarter when we needed a stop...they allowed Houston to drive down the field and kick a FG killing a lot of the clock.

The defense isn't the problem by any means...but to call them great or even tough isn't reality. Tough teams don't let a QB stroll 49 yards while barely touching him.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 06:22 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I know a lot of you won't agree but me personally, I think our D is pretty bad. Not as atrocious as the offense of course but they are not what we think they are. The first two games had horrible offenses, from Flacco not playing a pre season snap only completing something like 7 passes for 129 yards to Watson making his first start. We didn't stop Flacco he was missing wide open receivers until Balt just shut it down themselves and ran it down our throats. Both teams were missing tons of weapons and still moved the ball. If our D is even average why didn't we capitalize of of these poor offenses. When we play a healthy good offense it's going to be bad. But that's just my .02.

How many times in those 2 games did they get a chance to actually catch a breather? They're the only reason we were i  either of those games (or were for part of the first). There were two broken plays and outside of that they've been pretty solid. When Your offense has 5 turnovers it's hard to give up only 20 points. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're a top 5 defense or anything like that but they have played well given the circumstances they've had to deal with.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see Jackson get some playing time ahead of Dennard, we could use some turnovers. The pass rush has been much improved so far, though.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 10:12 PM)Sweetness Wrote: How many times in those 2 games did they get a chance to actually catch a breather? They're the only reason we were i  either of those games (or were for part of the first). There were two broken plays and outside of that they've been pretty solid. When Your offense has 5 turnovers it's hard to give up only 20 points. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're a top 5 defense or anything like that but they have played well given the circumstances they've had to deal with.

They absolutely kept both games within reach for even an average offense to win the game. I dont want to say we got lucky the past two games, but we did face 2 offenses that had severe question marks. 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 10:30 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I'd like to see Jackson get some playing time ahead of Dennard, we could use some turnovers. The pass rush has been much improved so far, though.

Kid looks good to me.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 10:12 PM)Sweetness Wrote: How many times in those 2 games did they get a chance to actually catch a breather? They're the only reason we were i  either of those games (or were for part of the first). There were two broken plays and outside of that they've been pretty solid. When Your offense has 5 turnovers it's hard to give up only 20 points. 

Spot on !

The offense is not helping the defense out at all.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Top 10 defense potentially I think. They havent capitalized on errant throws for turnovers yet. That would make me thonk they could be top 5.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 05:23 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: with all the talk about our offense imploding and firingzampese, the bengal D has been TOUGH these first 2 fames.

Your point is extremely valid, but that really only rubs salt in our wounds.  They have a championship caliber defense and the new pieces are playing extremely well.  And it is being wasted on this turd in the punch bowl offense.

Dead on, though.  The defense may be ranked at or near the top of the NFL after two weeks, and be 0-2.

Willis, Smith, and Lawson are the real deal.

WJIII (who didn't seem to get many snaps this week?) and even favorite punching bad Darqueze Dennard looked very good.  Shawn Williams realizes there are other options  and looked to step up his game as well. 

I wish we were seeing more of Jordan Evans, but I have to tip my hat to probably the least appreciated Bengal that always sticks his head in there and makes solid plays, Vinny Rey.  

All this, and without Burfict.
Reply/Quote

This.  With so many three and outs, turnovers giving the opposition great field position, etc.  This defense has not benefitted with what is commonly referred to as complementary football in any way shape or form.  To give up 33 points in two games with one of the worst offensive productions, historically speaking, is very impressive.  
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 10:30 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I'd like to see Jackson get some playing time ahead of Dennard, we could use some turnovers. The pass rush has been much improved so far, though.

Dennard actually played very well Thursday.  I was going to start a thread to see who would like to see WJIII on the other side of Dre instead of Adam Jones.  Dennard would remain in the slot in rotation with Shaw.  
Reply/Quote
I thonk Dennard is a good db, he just gets injured too often. I really want to see what WJIII offers our secondary. Adam Jones should still play, I think he should see fewer snaps so WJIII can get experience
Reply/Quote
Bengals D is currently top 5 in the NFL in total Defense. How anyone can point to anything negative about that is beyond me.

The only thing they are doing wrong is not punching the offense straight in the face when they run off the filed time after time.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Ill give some praise after the GB game.

Ravens had a QB with no practice and ransacked OL. Texans had a shell shocked rookie qb 1 wr no TEs and were missing their best OL.

D can only do so much though. If our O helps them out just a tiny bit they should be elite. Getting Burfict back will be a huge morale boost
Reply/Quote