Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengal Fan Road Side Assistance Story
After reading Harley Dog's post about Gatlinburg, I thought I would share a story from a recent trip to NC.

My son is a goalie for a local club soccer team (he also swims like his dad, but that isn't relevant) and we had a tournament in Raleigh, NC last weekend.

On the drive home, after about a four hour stretch, I pulled off an exit to gas up and visit the restroom (coffee is my staple). As I was preparing to get back on the highway, Google maps told me to take this back-road that appeared to be only one lane. It said if I got back on the highway, it would be TWO HOURS LONGER! BTW, Google maps is awesome. I took the back road, and I was following a truck (Silverado like mine) that was pulling a trailer that was about a foot higher than the top of the truck.

We took this road that was one lane, with occasional two-lane stretches for passing, along a river and steep cliffs of rock. It was really pretty, but a little unnerving. The truck in front of me began to slow and I saw that a tree had fallen across the road, and was suspended by the power line on the opposite side of the road. He creeped under it, but his trailer wasn't going to clear it by about 6 inches. So, when the tree hit, he stopped.

I jumped out to help and told him to go VERY SLOWLY and I would stand on his (wet) trailer hitch beam and push the tree up and over his trailer and he could get under it. He did (I pushed it with one hand and held on to the trailer in case his foot slipped and nailed the gas or something. I didn't want to be a thump, thump. Once I got it over the trailer, I jumped off and saw to my right that a large limb in a "U" shape was hanging in the limb and weighing it down. I went over and lifted it up and over the limb and flung it in to the water. It wasn't very big, maybe 100-125 lbs and once I removed it, the limb across the road raised about another six inches and it was no longer touching the trailer. He and his wife jumped out of the truck to thank me and his wife saw my shirt (of course, I was listening to the game as well) and said "Look! Of course he helped us, he's a Bengal Fan!" She opened her jacket to show her own Bengal tee and her hubby was wearing a Bengals hat. I said "Good thing you guys weren't steeler fans, or we would still be sitting here!".

We laughed, shook hands and took off.

I was hoping for some Karma to help the Bengals pull out the win, but of course, they didn't. But it was kind of cool that even in the sticks of WV, there was some Who Dey Community.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Karma points for helping others
Reply/Quote
Props to everyone involved for wearing Bengals gear in public this season. :andy:
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
At the very least, it's awesome to hear someone go out of their way to help a stranger with a job that didn't sound that easy to do. Tip of the cap to you, sir.
Reply/Quote