Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengal TE strategy
(07-31-2020, 02:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I actually somewhat disagree with this.

Ross not only has elite deep field speed but he has elite agility, footwork, and burst to get open quickly. That is an asset for playing in the slot.

Why slot could also be useful at times for Ross is that typically you are going on shorter routes and getting the ball in your hands quicker. And it's been known that Ross is dangerous with the ball in his hands.
Not only that, you typically have less jump ball situations in the slot, of which Ross is not built for. Those 50-50 balls typically happen more for WRs on the outside.

Receivers also typically have a higher catch percentage when operating out of the slot because of the reasons above. While people have (justified) concerns with Ross's ability to catch the ball, it's worth noting that he dropped only 6 of 105 catchable balls in his last two seasons in college. https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-john-ross-wr-washington

Perhaps he will be more like he was in college if he is used by a more creative playcaller and with a more accurate QB.

Ross hasnt had the most creative offensive minds to work with
The Bengals offense has been void of creatvity since Hue left .
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 02:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I actually somewhat disagree with this.

Ross not only has elite deep field speed but he has elite agility, footwork, and burst to get open quickly. That is an asset for playing in the slot.

Why slot could also be useful at times for Ross is that typically you are going on shorter routes and getting the ball in your hands quicker. And it's been known that Ross is dangerous with the ball in his hands.
Not only that, you typically have less jump ball situations in the slot, of which Ross is not built for. Those 50-50 balls typically happen more for WRs on the outside.

Receivers also typically have a higher catch percentage when operating out of the slot because of the reasons above. While people have (justified) concerns with Ross's ability to catch the ball, it's worth noting that he dropped only 6 of 105 catchable balls in his last two seasons in college. https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-john-ross-wr-washington

Perhaps he will be more like he was in college if he is used by a more creative playcaller and with a more accurate QB.

Cannot disagree with any of this, we can rotate Ross into the Slot but I don't like taking Boyd out of the game to do so.

Boyd is a Slot Receiver all the way.

(07-31-2020, 02:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Andrew Hawkins had a really good season for us playing out of the slot.  He was only 5'2", but he had great change-of-direction and agility.

5'2" lol

Damn, Baby Hawk wasn't that small. More like 5'7".

Quit selling the man short. Mellow

(07-31-2020, 03:26 PM)Synric Wrote: Agreed and even in the slot a WR will still chances at deep post and corner routes. John Ross's elite speed and agility would be a great combination with the slots 2-way go and set back from the line more often. 

Thing is while Boyd is one of the best slot receivers in football he doesn't have the greatest outside versatility and Auden Tate could really develop into that big slot role.

Exactly.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 01:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cannot disagree with any of this, we can rotate Ross into the Slot but I don't like taking Boyd out of the game to do so.

Boyd is a Slot Receiver all the way.

5'2" lol

Damn, Baby Hawk wasn't that small. More like 5'7".

Quit selling the man short. Mellow

Exactly.

I never meant to imply Ross be primarily in the slot. Simply give him some opportunities there each game to change it up. With Boyd having versatility, allow Boyd and Ross to swap between outside and slot to keep the defense guessing.
I get you want to keep Boyd productive but you also need to find ways to get Ross productive too. Keeping him solely on the outside (and especially not getting him on more short routes) puts him at a disadvantage.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 02:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Andrew Hawkins had a really good season for us playing out of the slot.  He was only 5'2", but he had great change-of-direction and agility.

Baby Hawk was not 5’2 lol

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 10:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I never meant to imply Ross be primarily in the slot. Simply give him some opportunities there each game to change it up. With Boyd having versatility, allow Boyd and Ross to swap between outside and slot to keep the defense guessing.
I get you want to keep Boyd productive but you also need to find ways to get Ross productive too. Keeping him solely on the outside (and especially not getting him on more short routes) puts him at a disadvantage.

Definitely get all of that.
Reply/Quote
A good OC moves his receivers around to get the best matchups.

For example there are plenty of plays where a wideout will just run a dig or a curl. So there is no reason that the "slot" receiver could not line up wide in those situations. That would allow the wide out to line up in the slot where he would be matched up with a smaller "slot/inside" CB.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2020, 09:15 PM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: The plan seemed to be to double-dip at O-line - remember they even tried to trade up for one in the 2nd and eventually did in the 4th - but there was a run and Cody Ford, Greg Little and Dalton Risner all went in quick succession and they missed out. So they then instead traded back in the second to a spot I suspect they hadn't really planned for. I reckon they then wanted to trade back from that spot too but couldn't find a partner so took Sample who they'd probably earmarked for later.

That whole draft seemed a mess - from trading up for a QB in the 4th a year before they took a QB first overall to failing to address linebacker other than Pratt (the 6th round pick Davis not even being able to make the roster - imagine not being able to find a single ST linebacker with all those late picks or in UDFAs!) - if we're being charitable it was very much the draft of a rookie Head Coach with a staff appointed very late in the day. Both the draft and free agency were attacked with a lot more purpose this year.
Agree. This past draft is the only one I could see an actual plan unfolding. I really believe they got everyone they were targeting during rounds 1-5.

Don't get me wrong, a couple of ML's drafts with BPA were adequate, but this had a special feel too it...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Bengals should sign Heuerman.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2020, 05:57 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: He was undoubtedly picked too early and has a very limited amount of targets (read, inexperienced) but I believe the Bengals (as did I) see his potential as a receiver and that he was just not used much in that element.  He was an excellent blocker and they saw great hands when he was targeted.  His book ins't written yet, but yes...he was drafted about two rounds too early.  

I pretty much agree with this. I mean I heard there was another team looking at him, but who knows about those rumors. But I do remember them saying he was one of th best blocking TEs in the class, and he caught th ball when it was thrown to him, just wasnt often. Either way I hope he at least lives up to the blocking part of it. I could see him developing into a solid player for us. I hope so.
Reply/Quote
Great thread and post FredToast. So many things to say...

The best player Drew Sample reminds me of is Jason Witten, but that comparison needs to be earned. Right now, he fits the mold of Rex Burkhead, Brian Leonard, or Reggie Kelly as an exceptional player who is limited athletically and adds value to the team through non-statistical means (i.e. blocking). My opinion is that he could rack up decent stats as a check down option - nothing wrong with that. I actually like Sample over our other TE because I am not a fan of hybrid players. Something has always been off about Uzomah’s game.

I loved Ross at Washington, but even as a healthy player - I am not a huge fan of him being on our team. Ross’s type, IMO, is too hard to use and does not mix well with our personnel - the offense has to find ways to incorporate him on offense which doesn’t bode well later in the game or in time crunches. But it will be interesting to see how Burrow reacts to having him. The fact that we have Green, Boyd, Higgins, and Ross is overkill, too.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 02:25 AM)willieFANderson Wrote: Great thread and post FredToast. So many things to say...

The best player Drew Sample reminds me of is Jason Witten, but that comparison needs to be earned. Right now, he fits the mold of Rex Burkhead, Brian Leonard, or Reggie Kelly as an exceptional player who is limited athletically and adds value to the team through non-statistical means (i.e. blocking). My opinion is that he could rack up decent stats as a check down option - nothing wrong with that. I actually like Sample over our other TE because I am not a fan of hybrid players. Something has always been off about Uzomah’s game.

I loved Ross at Washington, but even as a healthy player - I am not a huge fan of him being on our team. Ross’s type, IMO, is too hard to use and does not mix well with our personnel - the offense has to find ways to incorporate him on offense which doesn’t bode well later in the game or in time crunches. But it will be interesting to see how Burrow reacts to having him.  The fact that we have Green, Boyd, Higgins, and Ross is overkill, too.

Uzo is deceptive to watch. Not sure if it's just his size or what, but when he catches and runs, it looks like he is running in molasses. He gets yards though so the speed has to be there.  And Sample can catch, despite the fact some people think he can't, so I expect him to be more involved this year.
Reply/Quote
If you draft a TE in the 2nd RD then he needs to have been a proven threat and weapon downfield
The Huskies never had a,game plan built around Samples pass catching ability
His hands I don't question .I question his ability after the catch.
Can he find holes in the 2nd 3rd level. ?
Can he break tackles after the catch?
Did he run a full route tree at Washington ?
I saw a much more better TE go in RD 3 or 4 this past year in Harrison Bryant
If Sample doesn't start this,year he's a,legit bust
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 08:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Uzo is deceptive to watch. Not sure if it's just his size or what, but when he catches and runs, it looks like he is running in molasses. He gets yards though so the speed has to be there.  And Sample can catch, despite the fact some people think he can't, so I expect him to be more involved this year.

I think that what you're observing with Uzomah, is that he's just hard to tackle.  I've seen plays where Safeties and CBs bounce off of, or are swatted away by him.  Not a burner, but a bit of a bull in a china shop if you don't get under and wrap him up.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 10:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that what you're observing with Uzomah, is that he's just hard to tackle.  I've seen plays where Safeties and CBs bounce off of, or are swatted away by him.  Not a burner, but a bit of a bull in a china shop if you don't get under and wrap him up.

He reminds me a bit of the Gresh.

Man, would the Gresh plow some dudes back in the day.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 08:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Uzo is deceptive to watch. Not sure if it's just his size or what, but when he catches and runs, it looks like he is running in molasses. He gets yards though so the speed has to be there.  And Sample can catch, despite the fact some people think he can't, so I expect him to be more involved this year.

Me tinks many have closed the book way to early on Sample.
Reply/Quote
What's bothersome at the TE position is the Bengals in the last 5 years have drafted 2 TEs who really weren't featured
On their respective college teams. Uzomah was mostly a blocker at Auburn. Sample was basically a extra OT.
Uzomah really looks the part. But for a 6'6 target he's been a non factor inside the red zone
Which is all the more amazing considering all the games Eifert missed and CJ still couldn't really step up
And get to the next level. Uzomah averages less than 10 ypc for his career. Only has 7 TDS for his career.
Hasn't had a 50 yd catch since 2016.
I'm afraid that Drew Sample is going to be just another Uzomah 2.0 decent hands but a non factor after the catch
Reply/Quote
I keep seeing pics of Joe and Drew Sample laughing it up, building that chemistry. Perhaps we will see a different sample this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2020, 05:15 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I keep seeing pics of Joe and Drew Sample laughing it up, building that chemistry. Perhaps we will see a different sample this year.

I mean, let’s just see him period. He only had 6 targets all last season. We know he can block, let’s get him involved as a pass catcher.

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2020, 10:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I mean, let’s just see him period. He only had 6 targets all last season. We know he can block, let’s get him involved as a pass catcher.

Being Joes best bud will help that happen. Andy said “you too ugly for me to look your way”
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2020, 10:31 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Being Joes best bud will help that happen. Andy said “you too ugly for me to look your way”

Understandable.

[Image: usa_today_12597869.0.jpg]

Reply/Quote