Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengal Trivie,,,,Harold Green 1993
Thanks to Shake 'n Blake I have recently discovered that Harold Green set a couple of NFL rushing records in 1993

1.  Green set the NFL single season record for lowest average per carry (2.7) by any player with more than 200 carries.  Marion Butts is the only other RB in history to have a season with more than 200 carries and an  average under 3.0.  (2.9 in '94)

2.  Green tied two other NFL RBs with the fewest rushing tds scored (0) with more than 200 carries in a season. (since then this feat has been matched by 2 other RBs including Bengal Garrison Hearst in '96).

Interesting side note.  I played college football with Boyce Green who is one of the other RBs to have zero tds and 200+ carries in a season. (Browns '84)
Reply/Quote
Last I heard of Harold Green he was goin to jail
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 02:44 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Last I heard of Harold Green he was goin to jail

I don't think there was much to that.  It was a coiuple of years ago, and it was just "inappropriate touch" of some teenage girls.

Not saying that is justified in any way, but just touching a girl in a way that makes her feel uncomfortable is not like raping or assaulting a child.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 02:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Thanks to Shake 'n Blake I have recently discovered that Harold Green set a couple of NFL rushing records in 1993

1.  Green set the NFL single season record for lowest average per carry (2.7) by any player with more than 200 carries.  Marion Butts is the only other RB in history to have a season with more than 200 carries and an  average under 3.0.  (2.9 in '94)

2.  Green tied two other NFL RBs with the fewest rushing tds scored (0) with more than 200 carries in a season. (since then this feat has been matched by 2 other RBs including Bengal Garrison Hearst in '96).

Interesting side note.  I played college football with Boyce Green who is one of the other RBs to have zero tds and 200+ carries in a season. (Browns '84)

Hey, at least Harold can always talk about his record breaking season in the NFL.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 02:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Thanks to Shake 'n Blake I have recently discovered that Harold Green set a couple of NFL rushing records in 1993

Didn't Hearst have over 1,000 yards that year, but failed to ever reach the end zone?
Reply/Quote
Very interesting. I knew that his '93 season was awful, but I didn't know he was all by himself with that 2.7 average and 0 TDs.

I thought Reggie Cobb of the Bucs had a season that bad, but when I looked him up, this was his worst season:

221-658-3 (2.98 ypc). Close, but Green has him beat. Yay? Clapping

Oddly enough, Cobb's season was also in '93 and Butts' season was in '94. I can't think of any seasons at any point in time that comes close.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:37 PM)Harmening Wrote: Didn't Hearst have over 1,000 yards that year, but failed to ever reach the end zone?

847 yards on 3.8 ypc, which was solid considering how bad our run game had been in previous years.

At least Hearst had an excuse as to why he scored 0 TDs. Ki-Jana was our goal-line back and vultured 8 TDs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I thought Reggie Cobb of the Bucs had a season that bad, but when I looked him up, this was his worst season:

221-658-3 (2.98 ypc). Close, but Green has him beat. Yay?  Clapping

Oddly enough, Cobb's season was also in '93 and Butts' season was in '94. I can't think of any seasons at any point in time that comes close.

If you go to two decimal places Eddie George actually had a season with over 300 carries and a sub-3.00 avg.  In '01 he gained 939 yards on 315 carries for a 2.98 avg.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Very interesting. I knew that his '93 season was awful, but I didn't know he was all by himself with that 2.7 average and 0 TDs.

I thought Reggie Cobb of the Bucs had a season that bad, but when I looked him up, this was his worst season:

221-658-3 (2.98 ypc). Close, but Green has him beat. Yay?  Clapping

Reggie Cobb.....now there's a name I hadn't heard in a long time.....wasn't there a guy named Webb that played along side him at UT?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: Reggie Cobb.....now there's a name I hadn't heard in a long time.....wasn't there a guy named Webb that played along side him at UT?

Chuck Webb was actually a better RB than Cobb.  They split carries in '88 (Cobb was suspended after 5  games with 616 yards) and Webb was a big star (1200+ yards 6.0 avg).  The next season with Cobb gone people were predicting Webb would rush for 1800 to 2000 yards, but he was injured and lost for the season in the second game.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Chuck Webb was actually a better RB than Cobb.  They split carries in '88 and Webb was the star (1200+ yards 6.0 avg).  The next season with Cobb gone people were predicting Webb would rush for 1800 to 2000 yards, but he was injured and lost for the season in the second game.

I thought so......I remembered "Cobb-Webb" from that era.  Webb completely fizzle out after that injury?  I don't seem to recall much about him after the nicknamed backfield days.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you go to two decimal places Eddie George actually had a season with over 300 carries and a sub-3.00 avg.  In '01 he gained 939 yards on 315 carries for a 2.98 avg.

I forgot about how mediocre Eddie George was some years. He was a good RB, but his stats really were padded by how much Tennessee fed him the ball. He averaged 3.6 ypc for his career.

(02-01-2016, 03:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: Reggie Cobb.....now there's a name I hadn't heard in a long time.....wasn't there a guy named Webb that played along side him at UT?

I'm not a big college fan so I had to look it up. That'd be Chuck Webb who was a 3rd round pick of the Packers. Cobb wound up having a much better pro career. Webb couldn't even get on the field apparently.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 04:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I forgot about how mediocre Eddie George was some years. He was a good RB, but his stats really were padded by how much Tennessee fed him the ball. He averaged 3.6 ypc for his career.

George was overrated, but he tends to get inflated by some because of his alma mater. What I do remember was that 01 finale when we held him to around 50 yards after he torched the Browns the previous week. There was such a big deal made about us stopping him, even though we contained him earlier in the season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Green only had over 200 attempts in two seasons during his career. 93' which you speak of and the year before that in 92'. In that particular season he had 265 attempts and an average of 4.4 ypa. In 90' and 91' he had 83 and 158 attempts, respectively. In those seasons he averaged 4.3 and 4.6 ypa.

Let us not forget that in 92' and 93' we had a qb by the name of David klingler. Not only was he painfully bad but he also was getting pressured hit and sacked in great numbers. He got sacked to the tune of 15.5% and 10.4% of drop backs in 92'and 93', respectively. In contrast Andy dalton has never had a sack percentage above 8.0% and most seasons it's been between 4-5%.

I don't have time to look up exactly who it consisted of but maybe all of this is more an indictment on the offensive line in those particular seasons than anything?

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 10:22 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: Green only had over 200 attempts in two seasons during his career. 93' which you speak of and the year before that in 92'. In that particular season he had 265 attempts and an average of 4.4 ypa. In 90' and 91' he had 83 and 158 attempts, respectively. In those seasons he averaged 4.3 and 4.6 ypa.

Let us not forget that in 92' and 93' we had a qb by the name of David klingler. Not only was he painfully bad but he also was getting pressured hit and sacked in great numbers. He got sacked to the tune of 15.5% and 10.4% of drop backs in 92'and 93', respectively. In contrast Andy dalton has never had a sack percentage above 8.0% and most seasons it's been between 4-5%.

I don't have time to look up exactly who it consisted of but maybe all of this is more an indictment on the offensive line in those particular seasons than anything?

Nope.....because good ol' Ludwig Van was coaching the o line back then, and everyone knows he's the best thing that's ever happened to the game of football.  No way it was his unit...... Ninja

LMAO

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 11:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: Nope.....because good ol' Ludwig Van was coaching the o line back then, and everyone knows he's the best thing that's ever happened to the game of football.  No way it was his unit...... Ninja

LMAO

You know what I love to see?  When a poster acts like he is smart enough to rip a Bengals coach, and then proves how little he even knows about the Bengals.

Wyche blaming the '92 and '93 O-line play on Alexander is priceless.  Shows exactly how credible his opinion is.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 11:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You know what I love to see?  When a poster acts like he is smart enough to rip a Bengals coach, and then proves how little he even knows about the Bengals.

Wyche blaming the '92 and '93 O-line play on Alexander is priceless.  Shows exactly how credible his opinion is.

Relax fred.....it was a joke.  He was TE coach in '93.....

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 11:40 AM)Wyche Wrote: Relax fred.....it was a joke.  He was TE coach in '93.....

An "attempted" joke that just made youu look silly.

PA was with the Jets in '93.
Reply/Quote
But you rushing in to defend your hero like Grant taking Richmond is not only priceless, but very predictable. :hooked:

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 11:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: An "attempted" joke that just made youu look silly.

PA was with the Jets in '93.

You're right....it was '94 when he came here....had to look it up.  '92-'94, he was in New York, thought it was just one year......but still, lighten up Frances. Smirk

Reply/Quote