Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengal fans and "The Flaying of Marsyas"
Recently while contemplating Titian's "The Flaying of Marsyas" I realized that the Greek myth said a lot about being a Bengal fan.

Marsyas was a satyr who had the audacity to challenge Apollo to a music contest. The contest was judged by the muses and when Apollo was declared the winner he decided to flay (tear the skin from) Marsyas. There are two different versions of why Apollo chose such a drastic victory celebration. One claim is that it was important to severely punish anyone with the hubris to challenge the god of music to a musical contest. The other is that Marsyas actually played better than Apollo and was executed in a violent manner as an act of revenge.

This reminds me of the dichotomy that exists here between some people who claim to be smarter than Bengal coaches and front office and the others who say we can not know as much as them. And the reason I relate it to Marsyas is that no matter which kind of fan you are you still get flayed in the end.

[Image: the-flaying.jpg]

WHO-DEY!!!
Reply/Quote
Flayed:

[Image: bobbysburgerpalace-c551a854.jpeg?ver=152...5762711864]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So you're saying that people are smarter/better than Bengals coaches? That's what it seems like from that story.
Reply/Quote
So what you're saying is that Ralph Macchio really wasn't better than Steve Vai and that it was the Classical Guitar training that won the day?
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 04:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Recently while contemplating Titian's "The Flaying of Marsyas" I realized that the Greek myth said a lot about being a Bengal fan.

Marsyas was a satyr who had the audacity to challenge Apollo to a music contest.  The contest was judged by the muses and when Apollo was declared the winner he decided to flay (tear the skin from) Marsyas.  There are two different versions of why Apollo chose such a drastic victory celebration.  One claim is that it was important to severely punish anyone with the hubris to challenge the god of music to a musical contest.  The other is that Marsyas actually played better than Apollo and was executed in a violent manner as an act of revenge.

This reminds me of the dichotomy that exists here between some people who claim to be smarter than Bengal coaches and front office and the others who say we can not know as much as them.  And the reason I relate it to Marsyas is that no matter which kind of fan you are you still get flayed in the end.

[Image: the-flaying.jpg]

WHO-DEY!!!

I'm concerned about you Fred.   Tongue

Reply/Quote
I flayed me a fish once!! does that count?

Reply/Quote
Didn’t read. Will the season start already.
Reply/Quote
Too literary Fred. Now you'll just have to take your medicine.
Reply/Quote
I thought this was about Bobby Flay. My bad.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
And the moral to the story is  ... There really is no moral here other than Fred attempting to try to make us think he's smart n stuff .. I guess .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 09:59 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I thought this was about Bobby Flay. My bad.

I was thinking Ramsay Bolton

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
I do kind of see the comparison - but truly, the only thing that Marsyas and I have in common is were both satyrs.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 04:44 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Flayed:

[Image: bobbysburgerpalace-c551a854.jpeg?ver=152...5762711864]

Dude - do not tell me they flayed Bobby from bobby's burger palace! Say it isn't so!
Reply/Quote
I knew the offseason was long but didn't realize how much to some of us...... Yawn
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2018, 12:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I was thinking Ramsay Bolton

[Image: giphy.gif]

Man, that really Reeks!
Reply/Quote