Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengal fans need to hope for two things
We need the Dolphins to win a few games and we need one of the QBs in this years class to blow up before the draft to be a consensus #1 pick.

Miami needs a QB worse than any team in the league. Miami also has 3 first round picks. So they would have the best offer if they needed to trade up to get a QB.

I am thinking we will have the #1 pick, and we need a lot more than a QB. QB is one of the most difficult positions to evaluate coming out of college, but it is also the most valuable position. So it seems to me that more teams "reach" for a QB at the top of the draft than at other positions. That means the QBs taken with the #1 overall pick are often over valued.

Only ONE quarterback taken #1 overall in the draft over the last 20 years has won a Super Bowl (Eli Manning).
Reply/Quote
Sounds great to me but...

Would Mikey pull another Akili Smith and refuse a blockbuster trade
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 10:41 AM)Kingslayer Wrote: Sounds great to me but...

That was the craziest draft trade ever.  People forget that the Bengals were just one of FOUR teams that turned down the offer.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure there is a QB in the upcoming class I want....
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 10:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We need the Dolphins to win a few games and we need one of the QBs in this years class to blow up before the draft to be a consensus #1 pick.

Miami needs a QB worse than any team in the league.  Miami also has 3 first round picks.  So they would have the best offer if they needed to trade up to get a QB.

I am thinking we will have the #1 pick, and we need a lot more than a QB.  QB is one of the most difficult positions to evaluate coming out of college, but it is also the most valuable position.  So it seems to me that more teams "reach" for a QB at the top of the draft than at other positions.  That means the QBs taken with the #1 overall pick are often over valued.

Only ONE quarterback taken #1 overall in the draft over the last 20 years has won a Super Bowl (Eli Manning).

Well and he didn't even play for the team that drafted him #1 overall
Reply/Quote
I'd say the two things we need is for Finley and Jonah to be the real deals and next year's draft becomes all about the o-line and linebackers.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 10:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We need the Dolphins to win a few games and we need one of the QBs in this years class to blow up before the draft to be a consensus #1 pick.

Miami needs a QB worse than any team in the league.  Miami also has 3 first round picks.  So they would have the best offer if they needed to trade up to get a QB.

I am thinking we will have the #1 pick, and we need a lot more than a QB.  QB is one of the most difficult positions to evaluate coming out of college, but it is also the most valuable position.  So it seems to me that more teams "reach" for a QB at the top of the draft than at other positions.  That means the QBs taken with the #1 overall pick are often over valued.

While they need a QB I could see them filling other holes and waiting for Lawrence with their two first rounders the following year. They have positioned themselves nicely as far as rebuilding. The Bengals are a crapshoot.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 11:39 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: While they need a QB I could see them filling other holes and waiting for Lawrence with their two first rounders the following year. They have positioned themselves nicely as far as rebuilding. The Bengals are a crapshoot.

If they fill their other holes with all of those draft picks (Miami) they likely won't be in play for Lawrence the following year.  They'll find a serviceable QB this offseason so they probably won't be in the running.  Essentially they better take the QB while they have a top 3 pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Yeah, I was thinking about this topic this morning. It would be real nice if the Bengals could trade the 1st Overall to the Dolphins for some of their picks, and if the Dolphins are in the 2-3 range, the Bengals could possibly trade down again for someone looking for the 2nd best QB, or Chase Young.

Bengals need at least 3 starting OL (4 if Trey Hopkins leaves in FA) assuming we're expecting Jonah Williams to be any good, a potential #1 WR if AJ Green leaves, 3 starting LB, and a starting CB who can actually catch the ball. They need to fill at least 6 of those possible 9 needs before QB becomes an issue in my mind. Otherwise you're throwing out a young QB without the tools around him to succeed and you're setting him up for failure and ruin.

They need more picks to make that happen, or a massive change in their FA approach. The picks seem more likely between those two options.

My worry is that the Bengals will have the 1st Overall pick in the bag at 0-11 after Week 12... before Dead Cat Bounce'ing and beating the Jets, Browns, and Dolphins to finish 3-13, and end up with the 3rd or 4th pick, which will mean they miss out on trading down with a team who wants a QB, and also miss out on either drafting or trading down with a team that wants Chase Young.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 11:49 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: If they fill their other holes with all of those draft picks (Miami) they likely won't be in play for Lawrence the following year.  They'll find a serviceable QB this offseason so they probably won't be in the running.  Essentially they better take the QB while they have a top 3 pick.

Why would they get a different QB? That would defeat the plan. They will always be in the running for Lawrence when they have two first round picks
Reply/Quote
The best case scenario is that Lawrence comes out early and we have the first pick. Then there would be a bidding war. We would probably end up with five picks in the first two rounds. QB, LB, DL, OL,OL. Don't laugh, dreams do sometimes come true. Damn somebody wake me up I thought had a competent FO. We probably can have that many early picks anyway there isn't enough room on IR for them all.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 01:30 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The best case scenario is that Lawrence comes out early and we have the first pick. Then there would be a bidding war. We would probably end up with five picks in the first two rounds. QB, LB, DL, OL,OL. Don't laugh, dreams do sometimes come true. Damn somebody wake me up I thought had a competent FO. We probably can have that many early picks anyway there isn't enough room on IR for them all.

He is only a Sophomore this year, so he can't come out any earlier then next year. If he is smart (which I'm pretty sure he is) he'll wait to see who the number 1 team is next year and if it is the Dolphins or Bengals, he should go back to school for his senior year to avoid the hell that awaits.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 12:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, I was thinking about this topic this morning. It would be real nice if the Bengals could trade the 1st Overall to the Dolphins for some of their picks, and if the Dolphins are in the 2-3 range, the Bengals could possibly trade down again for someone looking for the 2nd best QB, or Chase Young.

Bengals need at least 3 starting OL (4 if Trey Hopkins leaves in FA) assuming we're expecting Jonah Williams to be any good, a potential #1 WR if AJ Green leaves, 3 starting LB, and a starting CB who can actually catch the ball. They need to fill at least 6 of those possible 9 needs before QB becomes an issue in my mind. Otherwise you're throwing out a young QB without the tools around him to succeed and you're setting him up for failure and ruin.

They need more picks to make that happen, or a massive change in their FA approach. The picks seem more likely between those two options.

My worry is that the Bengals will have the 1st Overall pick in the bag at 0-11 after Week 12... before Dead Cat Bounce'ing and beating the Jets, Browns, and Dolphins to finish 3-13, and end up with the 3rd or 4th pick, which will mean they miss out on trading down with a team who wants a QB, and also miss out on either drafting or trading down with a team that wants Chase Young.

If they win the last 3 of the last 5 and pick 3rd or 4th they take Young or Thomas and run with Finley for 2020. If Finley doesn't work out it opens the way for Lawrence the following year.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 01:30 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The best case scenario is that Lawrence comes out early and we have the first pick. Then there would be a bidding war. We would probably end up with five picks in the first two rounds. QB, LB, DL, OL,OL. Don't laugh, dreams do sometimes come true. Damn somebody wake me up I thought had a competent FO. We probably can have that many early picks anyway there isn't enough room on IR for them all.

He can't come out until next year. Although, some of the shine has came off of Lawrence this year...but I do think he's the next franchise guy.

I've seen Tua compared to Russell Wilson. That would be a nice fit here.

Pretty excited to see Burrow and Tua play Sat.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 01:22 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Why would they get a different QB? That would defeat the plan. They will always be in the running for Lawrence when they have two first round picks

Assuming they have the top pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, cause that's where Lawrence will probably go.  If you're Miami you taking that chance?
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 10:56 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not sure there is a QB in the upcoming class I want....

Man, the more I see of Burrow, the more I'm intrigued. Compact throwing motion, the velocity of his passes, pretty good touch when needed and it seems like he's not afraid to hang in the pocket. I feel like he has the potential to be a helluva pro QB.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 10:41 AM)Kingslayer Wrote: Sounds great to me but...

Likely. For a man who covets draft picks, Mike is not shrewd in trading for more picks.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 01:22 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Why would they get a different QB? That would defeat the plan. They will always be in the running for Lawrence when they have two first round picks

Assuming they have the top pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, cause that's where Lawrence will probably go.  If you're Miami you taking that chance?
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 05:26 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Assuming they have the top pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, cause that's where Lawrence will probably go.  If you're Miami you taking that chance?

Depends who the top QBs preform this year but with two first rounders and a second rounder they will have the draft collateral to move to the front of the line for sure. If a team is drafting first and has multiple needs the Dolphins would make it a hard deal to pass up.
Reply/Quote
Best case scenario is the owner has a stroke. Cruel, but factual.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote