Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengal team record will be broken this year
Most pass attempts in a season. 602 in 2001.

For all the talk about us adopting the Rams philosophy of running the ball to set up play action I just don't see it happening.

I know Mixon has barely played this preseason, but so far we have had ZERO run game. Meanwhile our pass game seems to be in decent shape. Add in the fact that our defense looks shaky and I can see us playing quite a few "shootout" type games and trailing in a lot of games in the second half.

Dalton's career high is 586 attempts ('13), but that year our offense still ranked higher in rush attempts (8th) than pass attempts (12th).

Last year 6 teams attempted more than 600 passes. I predict the Bengals will this year.
Reply/Quote
Offense staying of the field and the Defense getting off it will help
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Offense staying of the field and the Defense getting off it will help

^^^^ This

If the Bengals can improve T.O.P. on defense (less is better), then the offense will get more opportunities.

I do agree with Fred, we will be a pass heavy offense if our OL blocks they way they have in preseason. We will need to set up the run by passing more, something Brady and BB have done for many years in games they knew they could pass better than they could run.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I can see this happening. Football fans in general spend too much time complaining about not running enough.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 11:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Most pass attempts in a season.  602 in 2001.

For all the talk about us adopting the Rams philosophy of running the ball to set up play action I just don't see it happening.

I know Mixon has barely played this preseason, but so far we have had ZERO run game.  Meanwhile our pass game seems to be in decent shape.  Add in the fact that our defense looks shaky and I can see us playing quite a few "shootout" type games and trailing in a lot of games in the second half.

Dalton's career high is 586 attempts ('13), but that year our offense still ranked higher in rush attempts (8th) than pass attempts (12th).

Last year 6 teams attempted more than 600 passes.  I predict the Bengals will this year.
They used a lot of play action on first down last night and were pretty effective with it.

ZT said last week that they are only using very basic run plays and the offense will look a lot different in the regular season.

I think another key factor is we're pretty much set at who's making the roster at RB.  WR is much more up in the air, so it makes sense to give them more looks.  Zac has also emphasized getting guys into week 1 fresh and healthy, so he probably doesn't want extra wear and tear on RB's he already knows are on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 11:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Most pass attempts in a season.  602 in 2001.

I know Mixon has barely played this preseason, but so far we have had ZERO run game.  Meanwhile our pass game seems to be in decent shape.  Add in the fact that our defense looks shaky and I can see us playing quite a few "shootout" type games and trailing in a lot of games in the second half.

Last year 6 teams attempted more than 600 passes.  I predict the Bengals will this year.

I see the same as you. This team doesn't seem good at running the ball at all (at least in preseason). A bad running game is going to be a disaster for this team.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Being they've been running what amounts to Jr high school run plays it's tough to read too much into the run game at this point, but they've gotten near zero push from the Oline so far. That should probably change when the season begins, but tough telling right now. Why knows? Maybe they have a trap to spring come day 1 in Seattle.. 
Anderson looked great in pass plays..running the ball, not so much. They'll open some holes along the way somewhere. All hope is not lost yet....yet...yet...yet.......
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Offense staying of the field and the Defense getting off it will help
Great observation. :andy:

This is the major factor that will determine whether we have a decent season ( win 7-9 games which is our ceiling this year in my opinion)
Reply/Quote

Maybe unintended consequences of Fred's post, but now Bengals fans will be drafting AD in round 1 of fantasy drafts.  Tongue
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Bengals struggled to run the ball last postseason too, then Mixon ended up leading the conference in rushing. It's still a concern, but we've gone down this path before, and they have been vanilla as hell in terms of the rushing plays they are calling.
Reply/Quote

Have to do what works. Mixon can still break a big one anytime so its all good as long as we are winning games.
Reply/Quote
In 2013 Dalton threw 586 times we went 11-5, I wouldn't be opposed to it but I don't honestly believe we will. The whole running game issues aren't true issues, as I still have not seen the outside zone running scheme I am expecting to see once the season hits. Taylor mentioned it yesterday they still haven gotten into a large portion of their running game yet. If you go back and watch most of the pre season games we rarely attack the edge and that two way go on an outside zone is what makes the Rams so dangerous.
Reply/Quote
Mixion lead the AFC in rushing last season and missed 2 games. In theory our offensive line should be better. Price should improve in year 2 , John Miller is an upgrade from Redmond, Idk if Hart can get any worse plus the coaches seem to like him, and they added a good blocking TE in Sample. The less our defense is on the field the better.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 03:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Have to do what works. Mixon can still break a big one anytime so its all good as long as we are winning games.

If we throw all the time Mixon will get a ton of receptions.  Over the last two seasons only two RBs have more receiving yards than Todd Gurly (1368), and only one has more tds (McCaffrey has 11 to Gurly's 10).  Gurly's yards per reception (11.1) is best among the 22 RBs who have at least 70 catches over than span.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 03:36 PM)Au165 Wrote: In 2013 Dalton threw 586 times we went 11-5, I wouldn't be opposed to it but I don't honestly believe we will. The whole running game issues aren't true issues, as I still have not seen the outside zone running scheme I am expecting to see once the season hits. Taylor mentioned it yesterday they still haven gotten into a large portion of their running game yet. If you go back and watch most of the pre season games we rarely attack the edge and that two way go on an outside zone is what makes the Rams so dangerous.

Great points. We will see a different team in Seattle then we have seen this Preseason.

Just hoping it all comes together quickly.

(08-23-2019, 03:41 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Mixion lead the AFC in rushing last season and missed 2 games. In theory our offensive line should be better. Price should improve in year 2 , John Miller is an upgrade from Redmond, Idk if Hart can get any worse plus the coaches seem to like him, and they added a good blocking TE in Sample. The less our defense is on the field the better.

It should be better no question, Hart has looked decent this preseason and this year compared to last.

And apart from the Dugas sack which is where he was just caught off guard the pass protection has been good.

(08-23-2019, 03:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If we throw all the time Mixon will get a ton of receptions.  Over the last two seasons only two RBs have more receiving yards than Todd Gurly (1368), and only one has more tds (McCaffrey has 11 to Gurly's 10).  Gurly's yards per reception (11.1) is best among the 22 RBs who have at least 70 catches over than span.

Man, i have been waiting to see much more of Mixon in the passing game.

He can catch like a Wideout but he is too strong to be taken down by just one tackler and has tons of moves.

Think we have only seen a glimpse of this with Mixon in the passing game.

That one play early last season was one glimpse.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:29 PM)grampahol Wrote: Being they've been running what amounts to Jr high school run plays it's tough to read too much into the run game at this point, but they've gotten near zero push from the Oline so far. That should probably change when the season begins, but tough telling right now. Why knows? Maybe they have a trap to spring come day 1 in Seattle.. 
Anderson looked great in pass plays..running the ball, not so much. They'll open some holes along the way somewhere. All hope is not lost yet....yet...yet...yet.......
I agree and we haven't even seen Mixon yet.

The thing about Mixon's running style and why he's so successful is that, when he's handed the ball, he's sometimes going full-speed at the line and his vision is so good that he sees even the smallest openings and changes direction to hit those holes, even if they weren't where the play was originally intended to go.  Or he hits the hole so fast that offensive linemen just need to engage the defensive linemen for a split second and don't even need to get a push.

Other times, he's handed the ball deep in the backfield and just standing still or moving forward slowly, and he lets the linemen rush upfield or waits for them to over-pursue, which allows him to cut back against the flow for a gain because then there's either no one to beat or one or two defenders in the open field to either make miss or outrun. 
(08-23-2019, 12:51 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Bengals struggled to run the ball last postseason too, then Mixon ended up leading the conference in rushing. It's still a concern, but we've gone down this path before, and they have been vanilla as hell in terms of the rushing plays they are calling.
That's what I was thinking above, and especially because now we have a new line coach and better coordinator!
(08-23-2019, 03:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Have to do what works. Mixon can still break a big one anytime so its all good as long as we are winning games.

His vision and explosion is unbelievable!
Reply/Quote

Does that mean no more "Run,Run, Pass,Punt"?
Reply/Quote

Especially when Brady comes to town.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Man, i have been waiting to see much more of Mixon in the passing game.

He can catch like a Wideout but he is too strong to be taken down by just one tackler and has tons of moves.

Think we have only seen a glimpse of this with Mixon in the passing game.

That one play early last season was one glimpse.

But with Green and Ross out (Ross is supposed to be back by week 1 but who knows with our medical staff.  Our luck, he'll re-injure it in the first game back) there won't be much of a deep threat to keep defenses back and open-up dump-offs to Mixon.

I realize he's better than just dump-offs and that Green and Ross won't be deep threats every play, but even medium routes keeps the defense back a bit and open things up underneath.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Man, i have been waiting to see much more of Mixon in the passing game.

The reason Gurly has such a high average per catch is that the Rams actually motion him out to WR position.

He was targeted more out of a WR position than almost any other back in the league.  I have the numbers somewhere, but the only two with more targets from a WR position were a couple of hybrid WR/RB types that I had never heard of.  One from the Colts and one from the Bears.
Reply/Quote