Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengal team record will be broken this year
(08-23-2019, 04:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The reason Gurly has such a high average per catch is that the Rams actually motion him out to WR position.

He was targeted more out of a WR position than almost any other back in the league.  I have the numbers somewhere, but the only two with more targets from a WR position were a couple of hybrid WR/RB types that I had never heard of.  One from the Colts and one from the Bears.

Anderson looked good as a "receiver" last night. ThumbsUp
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:51 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Bengals struggled to run the ball last postseason too, then Mixon ended up leading the conference in rushing. It's still a concern, but we've gone down this path before, and they have been vanilla as hell in terms of the rushing plays they are calling.

They weren't in the postseason last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 04:39 PM)scorp1974 Wrote: They weren't in the postseason last year.

You got me on a typo, congratulations.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 04:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I agree and we haven't even seen Mixon yet.

The thing about Mixon's running style and why he's so successful is that, when he's handed the ball, he's sometimes going full-speed at the line and his vision is so good that he sees even the smallest openings and changes direction to hit those holes, even if they weren't where the play was originally intended to go.  Or he hits the hole so fast that offensive linemen just need to engage the defensive linemen for a split second and don't even need to get a push.

Other times, he's handed the ball deep in the backfield and just standing still or moving forward slowly, and he lets the linemen rush upfield or waits for them to over-pursue, which allows him to cut back against the flow for a gain because then there's either no one to beat or one or two defenders in the open field to either make miss or outrun. 
That's what I was thinking above, and especially because now we have a new line coach and better coordinator!

His vision and explosion is unbelievable!

Mixon is as talented as any RB I have ever seen. So happy he is on my team.

His vision and explosion are unbelievable but his hands are what makes him even more rare.

He is like AP but a Receiver.

(08-23-2019, 04:10 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: But with Green and Ross out (Ross is supposed to be back by week 1 but who knows with our medical staff.  Our luck, he'll re-injure it in the first game back) there won't be much of a deep threat to keep defenses back and open-up dump-offs to Mixon.

I realize he's better than just dump-offs and that Green and Ross won't be deep threats every play, but even medium routes keeps the defense back a bit and open things up underneath.

Boyd has surprised me with his deep routes, he has seemed to get faster since he entered the league.

Willis is a deep threat, he needs to make this team for this very reason.

(08-23-2019, 04:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The reason Gurly has such a high average per catch is that the Rams actually motion him out to WR position.

He was targeted more out of a WR position than almost any other back in the league.  I have the numbers somewhere, but the only two with more targets from a WR position were a couple of hybrid WR/RB types that I had never heard of.  One from the Colts and one from the Bears.

Would love to see this with Mixon a lot.

Don't know the RB from the Colts but i think you are speaking of Tarik Cohen on the Bears.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 04:23 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Anderson looked good as a "receiver" last night. ThumbsUp

Yes, he has great hands and vision and is as smooth as silk....

When he is healthy.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
Usually a team uses the rush to set of the pass. This Bengal team will use the pass to set up running plays. They must. This O-Line is not getting any movement this preseason at LOS, with exception of Price.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 05:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Don't know the RB from the Colts but i think you are speaking of Tarik Cohen on the Bears.

Good call.  This is from another thread......

the only RBs with more targets from the WR position were Alvin Kamara, the Colts' Nyheim Hines (who?) and the Bears Tarik Cohen (again who?).
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 05:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Mixon is as talented as any RB I have ever seen. So happy he is on my team.

His vision and explosion are unbelievable but his hands are what makes him even more rare.

He is like AP but a Receiver.

OUR team  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:21 PM)Whatever Wrote: They used a lot of play action on first down last night and were pretty effective with it.

A lot of people simply don't understand that you don't have to have an effective running game to have an effective play action. LBs have to hesitate when they see a QBs arm extending in a potential handoff. They don't stand there and think, "oh, they're running game is for shit. I'm just going to drop back in pass coverage". 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I see the same as you. This team doesn't seem good at running the ball at all (at least in preseason). A bad running game is going to be a disaster for this team.

When the regular season starts and Mixon starts carrying the ball, the running game will improve. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 12:39 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: When the regular season starts and Mixon starts carrying the ball, the running game will improve. 

Yep, I believe the lack of running game thing in this preseason, is getting blown out of proportion. 
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 09:51 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, I believe the lack of running game thing in this preseason, is getting blown out of proportion. 

Through 3 games our RBs (not counting QB scrambles) are averaging 41 yards per game and 2.5 yards per carry.

And you don't see a problem with that?

If the Bengals plan on employing some brand new blocking scheme don't you think it might have been a good idea to maybe PRACTICE it a little before the season starts so we can see if there are any problems with it?  Or maybe so the O-linemen can learn it before the regular season opener?
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 10:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Through 3 games our RBs (not counting QB scrambles) are averaging 41 yards per game and 2.5 yards per carry.

If the Bengals plan on employing some brand new blocking scheme don't you think it might have been a good idea to maybe PRACTICE it a little before the season starts so we can see if there are any problems with it?  Or maybe so the O-linemen can learn it before the regular season opener?

I agree with not playing your cards fully and keeping guys healthy, but at some point you need live action to practice your plan.  So let's do that in the one hardest places to play on the road in game 1 of the season.  Great idea!
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 10:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Through 3 games our RBs (not counting QB scrambles) are averaging 41 yards per game and 2.5 yards per carry.

I'm not saying it's no issue at all. It's a bit concerning given our Oline issues over the last couple seasons, however 4 things.

1. They've been mixing and matching the line playing musical positions all preseason.
2. The emphasis has been on evaluating the QB passing, not the rushing game.
3. Very basic blocking and vanilla rushing plays is all they're running.
4. Our starters at RB have very few carries.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 11:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Most pass attempts in a season.  602 in 2001.

For all the talk about us adopting the Rams philosophy of running the ball to set up play action I just don't see it happening.

I know Mixon has barely played this preseason, but so far we have had ZERO run game.  Meanwhile our pass game seems to be in decent shape.  Add in the fact that our defense looks shaky and I can see us playing quite a few "shootout" type games and trailing in a lot of games in the second half.

Dalton's career high is 586 attempts ('13), but that year our offense still ranked higher in rush attempts (8th) than pass attempts (12th).

Last year 6 teams attempted more than 600 passes.  I predict the Bengals will this year.

I think not seeing Mixon play makes me hesitant of this.

If things continue WITH Mixon playing, I can definitely see this happening. I'm hoping ZT isn't persistent on failed schemes like ML was. "Oh, two yards a carry, LETS KEEP RUNNING IT." 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote

I think a good question would be IF the Steelers were averaging 2.5 YPC in this pre-season would we be laughing/celebrating or saying "Oh, they'll be fine when the regular season starts"?
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 07:46 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think a good question would be IF the Steelers were averaging 2.5 YPC in this pre-season would we be laughing/celebrating or saying "Oh, they'll be fine when the regular season starts"?
Well it's a little different as the Steelers have proven they can run the ball with a few consecutive years of good production. Besides last year the last good year of rushing was probably 2014 for the Bengals

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote

Last preseason Mixon averaged 1.8 YPC (13 rushes for 24 yards). He went on to league the conference in rushing yards.

So quite frankly no, I don't see a problem with that.
Reply/Quote

If you don't think they practice all kinds of runs...in practice, against their own defense, you're BSC. 

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 06:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good call.  This is from another thread......

the only RBs with more targets from the WR position were Alvin Kamara, the Colts' Nyheim Hines (who?) and the Bears Tarik Cohen (again who?).

Figured Kamara was up there. Never heard of that Hines guy lol

Cohen is damn good RB though, reminds me of Sproles.

(08-23-2019, 11:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: OUR team  ThumbsUp

Sorry about that, OUR team.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote