Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengalholic Mock
I haven't had much spare time to do a mock this year, so this will be the only one I do. I used a pretty cool draft simulator at https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-draft-simulator. It's handy as well, because it has a collection of many mocks from a bunch of different sites that you can get information and projections from.

In my mock draft using the simulator, I had the Chargers trading up and getting the Lions #3 pick so they could grab Tua. When pick 33 rolled around, I had the Lions trading #37 and #109 to the Bengals to move and land Zach Baun. 

As the draft went along, I started wondering who might be interested in making a move to get Andy, if anyone. The one team I kept thinking of was the Jaguars. After unloading Foles and his contract, they only have Minshew and Dobbs on the roster. They'll need another QB, and I would have to think they would like a vet. Seeing that Gruden is now the OC, it would seem to make since to bring in Andy. They could possibly wait and see if Andy is cut, but then they risk another team getting him instead. So, in this scenario, I have the Jags giving up one of the three 4th rounders (140) to get Andy. That would be a great deal for the Bengals considering the alternative is letting him walk for nothing or keeping him around and eating his salary this year. 

So, with those 2 trades, this is how my mock turned out:

1 QB- Joe Burrow   LSU

The Bengals might listen to offers, but I don't see them getting swayed from Burrow. He will be the pick. He gives the Bengals a QB with great confidence, and extremely high football IQ, tremendous accuracy, uncanny poise, pocket awareness, ability to create and good mobility. While there are no guarantees in the draft and certainly not with the #1 pick, I think Burrow is as safe a selection as the Bengals can hope for at an area that needs upgraded and is the most important position on the field. 

2 WR- Tee Higgins   Clemson

After the trade with the Lions, Tee Higgins was still on the board at pick 37. I could have went in other directions, but I just thought the value here was too good to pass up. Higgins became a Bengals fan because of AJ Green, and that is also his comp in many people's opinion. Now he gets to be a Bengal and play with AJ. While Higgins was dominant at times, just imposing his will on defensive backs, there were also times where he either didn't play to his ability or even looked disinterested. Had he been more consistent and more dominant in big situations, he might be going a lot higher. It's a good break for the Bengals though, as they get a very talented, big bodied receiver and another weapon for Burrow, who can hopefully learn a lot from AJ.

3 RT- Lucas Niang   TCU

I was glad to see Niang still available here and didn't think twice about picking him. The hip injury/surgery is a concern, as far as we he is health-wise, and could realistically cause him to fall a bit. I think the Bengals are a good fit though. With Hart already penciled in as the starter for now, Niang can be brought along slowly, which would be good for the hip (torn labrum) but also in terms of refining his technique. No question about his talent though. He has all the physical attributes and should be the RT of the future. 

4 LB- Troy Dye   Oregon

Another player coming off an injury and surgery, who might also come with some concerns. He released a video recently to try and demonstrate to teams that he's healthy. While he looked good, it's not the same as having team doctors evaluating him. So, somewhat of a risk I guess, but he brings to the table (if healthy) exactly what the Bengals need - a LB that is good in coverage, has great range and another guy with a high football IQ. He helps bolster and area of need and would also be an outstanding locker room addition.

4 LB- Akeem Davis-Gaither   Appalachian St

It's possible he goes higher, but he's available in this mock. A guy who Zac and Lou got a good feel for at the Senior Bowl. He might end up being a player without a clearly defined position, but a guy who can make plays in a variety of ways, from a variety of spots. While he's not a big guy, he plays with a lot of tenacity and toughness. He'll probably be used in some type of hybrid role and should also be able to contribute on special teams. I see him as a guy who could be a real gem if used correctly and coached up well. 

4 WR- Van Jefferson   Florida

Some might not see the need for another WR, but I want to give Burrow as many weapons as possible and think Jefferson is a good value here, although I've seen him mocked all over the place round wise. This guy isn't the most talented, doesn't have great speed and isn't flashy. He's just a very solid wide receiver - versatile, dependable, hard worker, competitive as hell, and knows the in's and out's of the position very well. Adding Higgins and Jefferson to Green, Boyd, Ross and Tate gives Burrow a plethora of receiving options and also helps out in case of injuries to the receiving corps...which we hopefully don't see this season!

5 DE- Jason Strowbridge   North Carolina

This is a guy that I could see going higher, but he was available here, so I thought it would be a good addition. In the 270-275 range, he's a player that might be able to do some different things in Lou's defense. Not necessarily a gifted pass rusher, he can cause problems in situational blitzing. He seems like one of those guys that's just good to have on your defense and might provide some good versatility.

6 TE- Colby Parkinson   Stanford

I made this pick just because I'm so intrigued and perplexed by this guy. I've seen him projected as early as the 4th and late as the 7th. Getting him here seems like a decent value. When you watch him, you sort of come away a little confused. He's a guy who can catch anything thrown his way, sometimes looking a lot more like a WR than a TE. He can also be sneaky quick and get down the field in a hurry. The problem is that he's not very physical for a guy his size, doesn't seem very interested in blocking from what I've seen because he'll release from his guy very quickly. Just not effective inline at all, IMO. To me, he's a WR trapped in a TE's body. Can the Bengals find a way to maximize the talents of a guy like that? He's a very interesting player though, especially at this point in the draft, and worth a shot.

7 CB- Kindle Vildor   Georgia Southern

Even though he's kind of slight in build, he a tough, physical guy in coverage that sort of plays with a chip on his shoulder. Is experienced with different coverage schemes, and seems to be more comfortable when he's able to press. Speed is meh and doesn't seem to be a very eager tackler, but he could be a decent guy to have on the practiced squad.

Be gentle!!!  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 06:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I haven't had much spare time to do a mock this year, so this will be the only one I do. I used a pretty cool draft simulator at https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-draft-simulator. It's handy as well, because it has a collection of many mocks from a bunch of different sites that you can get information and projections from.

In my mock draft using the simulator, I had the Chargers trading up and getting the Lions #3 pick so they could grab Tua. When pick 33 rolled around, I had the Lions trading #37 and #109 to the Bengals to move and land Zach Baun. 

As the draft went along, I started wondering who might be interested in making a move to get Andy, if anyone. The one team I kept thinking of was the Jaguars. After unloading Foles and his contract, they only have Minshew and Dobbs on the roster. They'll need another QB, and I would have to think they would like a vet. Seeing that Gruden is now the OC, it would seem to make since to bring in Andy. They could possibly wait and see if Andy is cut, but then they risk another team getting him instead. So, in this scenario, I have the Jags giving up one of the three 4th rounders (140) to get Andy. That would be a great deal for the Bengals considering the alternative is letting him walk for nothing or keeping him around and eating his salary this year. 

1 QB- Joe Burrow   LSU

The Bengals might listen to offers, but I don't see them getting swayed from Burrow. He will be the pick. He gives the Bengals a QB with great confidence, and extremely high football IQ, tremendous accuracy, uncanny poise, pocket awareness, ability to create and good mobility. While there are no guarantees in the draft and certainly not with the #1 pick, I think Burrow is as safe a selection as the Bengals can hope for at an area that needs upgraded and is the most important position on the field. 

After the trade with the Lions, Tee Higgins was still on the board at pick 37. I could have went in other directions, but I just thought the value here was too good to pass up. Higgins became a Bengals fan because of AJ Green, and that is also his comp in many people's opinion. Now he gets to be a Bengal and play with AJ. While Higgins was dominant at times, just imposing his will on defensive backs, there were also times where he either didn't play to his ability or even looked disinterested. Had he been more consistent and more dominant in big situations, he might be going a lot higher. It's a good break for the Bengals though, as they get a very talented, big bodied receiver and another weapon for Burrow, who can hopefully learn a lot from AJ.

3 RT- Lucas Niang   TCU

I was glad to see Niang still available here and didn't think twice about picking him. The hip injury/surgery is a concern, as far as we he is health-wise, and could realistically cause him to fall a bit. I think the Bengals are a good fit though. With Hart already penciled in as the starter for now, Niang can be brought along slowly, which would be good for the hip (torn labrum) but also in terms of refining his technique. No question about his talent though. He has all the physical attributes and should be the RT of the future. 

4 LB- Troy Dye   Oregon

Another player coming off an injury and surgery, who might also comes with some concerns. He released a video recently to try and demonstrate to teams that he's healthy. While he looked good, it's not the same as having team doctors evaluating him. So, somewhat of a risk I guess, but he brings to the table (if healthy) exactly what the Bengals need - a LB that is good in coverage, has great range and another guy with a high football IQ. He helps bolster and area of need and would also be an outstanding locker room addition.

It's possible he goes higher, but he's available in this mock. A guy who Zac and Lou got a good feel for at the Senior Bowl. He might end up being a player without a clearly defined position, but a guy who can make plays in a variety of ways, from a variety of spots. While he's not a big guy, he plays with a lot of tenacity and toughness. He'll probably be used in some type of hybrid role and should also be able to contribute on special teams. I see him as a guy who could be a real gem if used correctly and coached up correctly. 

Some might not see the need for another WR, but I want to give Burrow as many weapons as possible and think Jefferson is a good value here. although I've seen him mocked all over the place round wise. This guy isn't the most talented, doesn't have great speed and and isn't flashy. He's just a 'professional' wide receiver - versatile, dependable, hard worker, competitive as hell, and knows the in's and out's of the position very well. Adding Higgins and Jefferson to Green, Boyd, Ross and Tate gives Burrow a plethora of receiving options and also helps out in case of injuries to the receiving corps...which we hopefully don't see this season!

This is a guy that I could see going higher, but he was available here, so I thought it would be a good addition. In the 270-275 range, he's a player that might be able to do some different things in Lou's defense. Not necessarily a gifted pass rusher, he can cause problems in situational blitzing. He seems like one of those guys that's just good to have on your defense and might provide some good versatility.

I made this pick just because I'm so intrigued and perplexed by this guy. I've seen him projected as early as the 4th and late as the 7th. Getting him here seems like a decent value. When you watch him, you sort of come away a little confused. He's a guy who can catch anything thrown his way, sometimes looking a lot more like a WR than a TE. He can also be sneaky quick and get down the field in a hurry. The problem is that he's not very physical for a guy his size, doesn't seem very interested in blocking from what I've seen because he'll release from his guy very quickly. Just not effective inline at all, IMO. To me, he's a WR trapped in a TE's body. Can the Bengals find a way to maximize the talents of a guy like that? He's a very interesting player though, especially at this point in the draft,

Even though he's kind of slight in build, he a tough, physical guy in coverage that sort of plays with a chip on his shoulder. Is experienced with different coverage schemes, and seems to be more comfortable when he's able to press. Speed is meh and doesn't seem to be an 'eager' tackler, but he could be a decent guy to have on the practiced squad.

Be gentle!!!  Mellow

I like a lot of the players.   My only real concern is there's a lot of rolling the dice on injured players.  I didn't see it in your write ups, but both ADG and Jefferson had surgery for broken feet discovered at the combine.   I like Higgins  a lot and could see him developing into a #1 WR.  Niang is a gamble, but T is a premium position and you're being realistic and not expecting him to play immediately.  Dye is a day 2 guy without the injury and worth it in 4.  I'm not a huge ADG fan, but he's a solid pick where you got him.  Jefferson can be a solid #2 or a great #3 in time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Higgins scares me a bit, saw this quote the other day about his pro day : 

Quote:" The 40-yard dash is not too bad, but 1.66 10-yard split puts him in the bottom second percentile among wide receivers. The short shuttle puts him in the bottom fifth percentile among wide receivers. Meanwhile, the 31-inch vertical puts in the bottom seventh percentile among wide receivers. There is nothing to say other than his day was rather abysmal in terms of testing," 

Also seems like the Bills were so turned off by it that they traded for Diggs :

Quote:According to a Buffalo Plus source, the Bills were "totally turned off" by Higgins' pro day work out.

Quote:Tee Higgins’ 1.66s 10-yard split at his Pro Day would have been the worst among all participating receivers.

I know testing numbers aren't everything but they are something to consider. 

Outside of that I quite like the draft, I think our best option is to go with 2 LB's in rounds 2-4. That is especially true if we plan on running more 3-4 looks. Like both those guys in those spots. Like the RT.

Also really think TE is a huge need for the team but this class seems to be pretty bad from what I have seen which is unfortunate. I do see why you went Parkinson though, I have also looked at him a few times, I mean how can you not be intrigued by a 6'7 250 pound TE.  Ninja

Overall I think its a pretty good result for us, yea Higgins scares me a bit but I could live with the pick if the rest of the draft ended with us getting Burrow, Dye, ADG, and Niang.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 07:45 PM)Whatever Wrote: I like a lot of the players.   My only real concern is there's a lot of rolling the dice on injured players.  I didn't see it in your write ups, but both ADG and Jefferson had surgery for broken feet discovered at the combine.   I like Higgins  a lot and could see him developing into a #1 WR.  Niang is a gamble, but T is a premium position and you're being realistic and not expecting him to play immediately.  Dye is a day 2 guy without the injury and worth it in 4.  I'm not a huge ADG fan, but he's a solid pick where you got him.  Jefferson can be a solid #2 or a great #3 in time.

Thanks for the feedback and yeah, it's a very 'surgical' mock.  Ninja

I think with ADG and Jefferson, I didn't feel like it was as much of a concern. Both had stress fractures that they played with last season and both had their surgeries done by Dr. Anderson, who has been a go-to guy for NFL players with foot injuries. I think the recovery time for both was about 2-3 months?? 

While there's always a risk, I figured with their talent, and the fact that neither would probably be counted on contributing right away...it was worth it taking them in the 4th round.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 08:00 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Higgins scares me a bit, saw this quote the other day about his pro day : 

Also seems like the Bills were so turned off by it that they traded for Diggs :

I know testing numbers aren't everything but they are something to consider. 

Outside of that I quite like the draft, I think our best option is to go with 2 LB's in rounds 2-4. That is especially true if we plan on running more 3-4 looks. Like both those guys in those spots. Like the RT.

Also really think TE is a huge need for the team but this class seems to be pretty bad from what I have seen which is unfortunate. I do see why you went Parkinson though, I have also looked at him a few times, I mean how can you not be intrigued by a 6'7 250 pound TE.  Ninja

Overall I think its a pretty good result for us, yea Higgins scares me a bit but I could live with the pick if the rest of the draft ended with us getting Burrow, Dye, ADG, and Niang.

Higgins definitely didn't test very well, but the talent is there. The question is whether the team taking him can get him to reach his potential. I'm not exactly sure what it is with him. He has shown that if he is capable of being dominant. The problem is that he seems to want to play on auto-pilot sometimes. To me, he's sort of a frustrating player, but I think being around and learning from AJ could do him wonders.
Reply/Quote
Nice mock, Holic. I appreciate the creativity with the trades. I'd be ok with Higgins or any WR at #33 if we get Niang in the 3rd. As far as Higgins' combine scores go, who cares? Look at the numbers he put up on the field. The guy can play.

I hate passing on Baun, but since it's to the Lions in the NFC for #37 and an extra 4th, I'm ok with it.

Dye & Davis Gaither both? That would be a change for us. LBs who can cover? You mean we don't have to watch TEs destroy us over the middle anymore? Sweeeeeet. I'd be shocked if both of them dropped to the 4th, though.

I agree with your thinking about the Jags and Andy. I'd gladly take a 4th for him.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
The position group missing Holic is IOL. Bengals need two IOL this draft IMO One to take the starting spot for Jordan and the other to supplant Price as backup. Rest looks good.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 06:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I haven't had much spare time to do a mock this year, so this will be the only one I do. I used a pretty cool draft simulator at https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-draft-simulator. It's handy as well, because it has a collection of many mocks from a bunch of different sites that you can get information and projections from.

1 QB- Joe Burrow   LSU

3 RT- Lucas Niang   TCU

4 LB- Troy Dye   Oregon

Another player coming off an injury and surgery, who might also come with some concerns. He released a video recently to try and demonstrate to teams that he's healthy. While he looked good, it's not the same as having team doctors evaluating him. So, somewhat of a risk I guess, but he brings to the table (if healthy) exactly what the Bengals need - a LB that is good in coverage, has great range and another guy with a high football IQ. He helps bolster and area of need and would also be an outstanding locker room addition.

It's possible he goes higher, but he's available in this mock. A guy who Zac and Lou got a good feel for at the Senior Bowl. He might end up being a player without a clearly defined position, but a guy who can make plays in a variety of ways, from a variety of spots. While he's not a big guy, he plays with a lot of tenacity and toughness. He'll probably be used in some type of hybrid role and should also be able to contribute on special teams. I see him as a guy who could be a real gem if used correctly and coached up well. 

Some might not see the need for another WR, but I want to give Burrow as many weapons as possible and think Jefferson is a good value here, although I've seen him mocked all over the place round wise. This guy isn't the most talented, doesn't have great speed and isn't flashy. He's just a very solid wide receiver - versatile, dependable, hard worker, competitive as hell, and knows the in's and out's of the position very well. Adding Higgins and Jefferson to Green, Boyd, Ross and Tate gives Burrow a plethora of receiving options and also helps out in case of injuries to the receiving corps...which we hopefully don't see this season!

I made this pick just because I'm so intrigued and perplexed by this guy. I've seen him projected as early as the 4th and late as the 7th. Getting him here seems like a decent value. When you watch him, you sort of come away a little confused. He's a guy who can catch anything thrown his way, sometimes looking a lot more like a WR than a TE. He can also be sneaky quick and get down the field in a hurry. The problem is that he's not very physical for a guy his size, doesn't seem very interested in blocking from what I've seen because he'll release from his guy very quickly. Just not effective inline at all, IMO. To me, he's a WR trapped in a TE's body. Can the Bengals find a way to maximize the talents of a guy like that? He's a very interesting player though, especially at this point in the draft, and worth a shot.

Even though he's kind of slight in build, he a tough, physical guy in coverage that sort of plays with a chip on his shoulder. Is experienced with different coverage schemes, and seems to be more comfortable when he's able to press. Speed is meh and doesn't seem to be a very eager tackler, but he could be a decent guy to have on the practiced squad.

Be gentle!!!  Mellow

Really strong draft.  Got the offensive weapons and line help, but still got depth at LB and DE.  I had drafted Vildor in several mocks, but started going after a different player because we seem to have so many corners on the roster already, but he is a very underrated talent.  

Van Jefferson was a stud at the Senior Bowl.  Offensive limitations and QB play at Florida really hurt him.  

Not a fan of Parkinson, but minimal risk at 6th round.  

I'd be really happy with this draft overall.  Best thing:  getting two really good WRs and a very talented OT that could push to start at RT or move inside in year 1 if healthy.  
Reply/Quote

1 QB- Joe Burrow   LSU

3 RT- Lucas Niang   TCU

4 LB- Troy Dye   Oregon

Be gentle!!!  Mellow
Nice draft! This is only my opinion, but I wouldn't haven't traded a chance to draft Braun for Higgins. Honestly think Braun is going to be a very good LB for years and Higgins is going to struggle. I say that, because I think he doesn't have the mental make-up to take the beating from the DBs in the NFL
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 10:46 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: The position group missing Holic is IOL.  Bengals need two IOL this draft IMO  One to take the starting spot for Jordan and the other to supplant Price as backup.  Rest looks good.

Yeah, I wanted to add a guard at some point, but wasn't really crazy about any of them after the 3rd round, so I ended up going in other directions. Didn't Fred Johnson play RG at Florida? I wonder if they'll give him a shot to compete there. 
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 12:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, I wanted to add a guard at some point, but wasn't really crazy about any of them after the 3rd round, so I ended up going in other directions. Didn't Fred Johnson play RG at Florida? I wonder if they'll give him a shot to compete there. 

If the Bengals do not bring in another OT either FA or draft, I could see Johnson fighting Hart for that RT.  If he could play Guard, that would be great.  But I do not see too many IOL on this Roster that makes me feel comfortable if the Bengals were to draft Burrow as expected.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Holy crap Holic... I did the same website last week but didn't do any trades. Had the same First 4 picks and the same 5th rounder! We're in cahoots

Edit: It was actually this website https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 11:10 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Holy crap Holic... I did the same website last week but didn't do any trades.  Had the same First 4 picks and the same 5th rounder!  We're in cahoots

Edit:  It was actually this website https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine

Joe
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 12:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, I wanted to add a guard at some point, but wasn't really crazy about any of them after the 3rd round, so I ended up going in other directions. Didn't Fred Johnson play RG at Florida? I wonder if they'll give him a shot to compete there. 

A 6'8" OG? Our QB will have to stand on Gio to see over him.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote