Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengalholic Mock
I wanted to go a little different direction, because most of the mocks are looking pretty similar, and wanted to make the offense as dynamic and complete as possible, and only ended up with 2 defensive players. I think the O would be scary as hell and gives them the ability to be a lot more creative. I have them making Bengals making 2 trades and picking up one extra pick in total...

Raiders come up to grab Hendon Hooker, giving the Bengals 38, 100, 109 for 28 and 163. (687-696)
Redskins move up, getting 131 and 246 and giving the Bengals 150 and 193. (42-47)

1 (38)       RB- JAHMYR GIBBS     ALABAMA     5'9-199
Brian Callahan said recently that they are looking for a complimentary back that can make things happen in the passing game and that has a willingness to block, even if they didn't do it a lot in college or aren't currently great at it. His criteria describes Gibbs pretty accurately. Gibbs is not a #1 back, but will bring great value as a change of pace guy who can also make plays in the passing game at a dynamic level. If teams are going to be stubborn about staying in 2-high, Gibbs gives them a weapon that can make them pay for it and eventually have to bring down a S to account for him or keep getting gashed.

As for his blocking, he's proven that he's willing, especially when he was at Georgia Tech...he just needs more work at it. For now, they can use him to help chip if nothing else.  What he adds to the passing game alone is enough to offset the current blocking limitations....as even a simple checkdown has the chance to turn into huge play. 

2 (60)       WR- TYLER SCOTT    Cincinnati    5'10-177   
The former RB and track star who had a Top 30 visit, adds another dose of blazing speed and dynamic playmaking ability to the offense. He's shown to be capable of winning at all 3 levels and would add a legitimate vertical threat to help take double teams away from Chase and Tee. His offers versatility to play slot and wide, and should be given a shot in the return game as well. 

Some might scoff at the idea of taking Gibbs and Scott with the 1st 2 picks...but, imagine the combinations that you could see by adding these new speed weapons. Hell, just think of an empty set with Chase, Tee, Scott, Gibbs and Boyd / Smith. That's a defensive nightmare.

3 (92)        CB- COREY TRICE JR     PURDUE     6'3-206
He's not the fastest or most fluid corner, but he's big, strong, physical and very experienced in zone. His transition to Lou's system should be fairly smooth for him. I think he'll be able to contribute fairly quickly, and has the potential to be an eventual starter. A couple of areas he will need to improve are being more aggressive against the run and not being as grabby when defending downfield passes. 

3 (100)      DT -COLBY WOODEN     AUBURN    6'4-275
Only 275 lbs right now, but he's 6'4 with almost 34 inch arms, and has a very strong upper body. He also brings a relentless motor, love of the game and super competitive attitude. If he can add 10-15 lbs, he could end up being the 3-tech they've been looking for. He has the talent, the upside and already possesses natural ability to get after the passer and be disruptive. 

4 (109)      TE- DAVIS ALLEN     CLEMSON     6'6-245    
Outside of Mayer, Allen is the most reliable pass catching TE in this draft. Lance Zierlein dubbed him the 'human vacuum'. At 6'6, he has a big catch radius and wins contested catches at a high rate. While he won't outrun anyone or create a ton of separation, he moves well, knows how to position his body and can highpoint pretty well. His inline blocking is decent. He's very willing, not afraid to mix it up and puts in time the trying to get better. He seems like the TE Joe would love and thrive with.

5 (150)     C/G- JARRETT PATTERSON     NOTRE DAME     6'4-307[/b]
He started at C for his 1st 3 years, then moved to LG this season. He gives the Bengals interior versatility, and insurance if Ted were to miss any time. He's an intelligent, experienced player and he's pretty technically sound. 

6 (193)     RB- MOHAMED IBRAHIM     MINNESOTA      5'8-205

A tough back who took a lot of handoffs from shotgun. He's not really fast or elusive, but he can weave between traffic and doesn't go down easily. He'll be a 25 year old rookie, but he can pass protect and demonstrated good hands when he had receiving opportunities. 

7 (206)     P- ADAM KORSAK     RUTGERS     6'1-188
The Bengals get a guy that won the Ray Guy award as the nation's best punter, with 35 of his 75 punts resulting in a fair catch, and pinned opponents in their 20 on 63% of his chances. 
Reply/Quote
I'm all for a receiving running back for Joe Burrow. Preferably I would like to see three.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice Holic, I like the change up. Gibbs is a gamebreaker and like you said, he is willing as a blocker, more than I can say for Mixon.

Wanting Scott more and more, he could actually be an upgrade over Boyd as far as explosiveness behind Chase. Trice is a big Corner
with great athleticism, his RAS scores are off the charts. Would be a good one for Lou to work with. I really like the Wooden pick and
he would either push Carter to be the man at 3-tech or be the man himself. Hope we extend DJ if we take a 3-tech.

Davis Allen is flying up my board as well, great hands and a reliable target and he can block, just what we need at TE. Good on getting
an OL out of Notre Dame that late, Patterson could be a steal there. Ibrahim has had a tough time with injuries but he is a good RB for
sure. Also like the thought of adding a Punter like Korsak. Don't like what I saw of Chrisman last year.

Well done brother. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 03:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice Holic, I like the change up. Gibbs is a gamebreaker and like you said, he is willing as a blocker, more than I can say for Mixon.

Wanting Scott more and more, he could actually be an upgrade over Boyd as far as explosiveness behind Chase. Trice is a big Corner
with great athleticism, his RAS scores are off the charts. Would be a good one for Lou to work with. I really like the Wooden pick and
he would either push Carter to be the man at 3-tech or be the man himself. Hope we extend DJ if we take a 3-tech.

Davis Allen is flying up my board as well, great hands and a reliable target and he can block, just what we need at TE. Good on getting
an OL out of Notre Dame that late, Patterson could be a steal there. Ibrahim has had a tough time with injuries but he is a good RB for
sure. Also like the thought of adding a Punter like Korsak. Don't like what I saw of Chrisman last year.

Well done brother. Rock On

Yeah, if they don't go TE in the 1st 2 rounds, Allen just seems like a perfect fit, with Strange being a good option too.
Reply/Quote
A month or so ago I was going to start a thread asking about dream combos in the first two or three rounds. And I had Gibbs and Scott in mind. I bet we would lead the league in 4 wide if it happened. Put Gibbs in the backfield next to Burrow with Chase, Higgins, Boyd, and Scott out wide. Man.. Nobody has a defense that can stop that.
I haven't looked at Wooden, he sounds like our type of guy.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 03:11 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I wanted to go a little different direction, because most of the mocks are looking pretty similar, and wanted to make the offense as dynamic and complete as possible, and only ended up with 2 defensive players. I think the O would be scary as hell and gives them the ability to be a lot more creative. I have them making Bengals making 2 trades and picking up one extra pick in total...

Raiders come up to grab Hendon Hooker, giving the Bengals 38, 100, 109 for 28 and 163. (687-696)
Redskins move up, getting 131 and 246 and giving the Bengals 150 and 193. (42-47)

Brian Callahan said recently that they are looking for a complimentary back that can make things happen in the passing game and that has a willingness to block, even if they didn't do it a lot in college or aren't currently great at it. His criteria describes Gibbs pretty accurately. Gibbs is not a #1 back, but will bring great value as a change of pace guy who can also make plays in the passing game at a dynamic level. If teams are going to be stubborn about staying in 2-high, Gibbs gives them a weapon that can make them pay for it and eventually have to bring down a S to account for him or keep getting gashed.

As for his blocking, he's proven that he's willing, especially when he was at Georgia Tech...he just needs more work at it. For now, they can use him to help chip if nothing else.  What he adds to the passing game alone is enough to offset the current blocking limitations....as even a simple checkdown has the chance to turn into huge play. 

The former RB and track star who had a Top 30 visit, adds another dose of blazing speed and dynamic playmaking ability to the offense. He's shown to be capable of winning at all 3 levels and would add a legitimate vertical threat to help take double teams away from Chase and Tee. His offers versatility to play slot and wide, and should be given a shot in the return game as well. 

Some might scoff at the idea of taking Gibbs and Scott with the 1st 2 picks...but, imagine the combinations that you could see by adding these new speed weapons. Hell, just think of an empty set with Chase, Tee, Scott, Gibbs and Boyd / Smith. That's a defensive nightmare.

He's not the fastest or most fluid corner, but he's big, strong, physical and very experienced in zone. His transition to Lou's system should be fairly smooth for him. I think he'll be able to contribute fairly quickly, and has the potential to be an eventual starter. A couple of areas he will need to improve are being more aggressive against the run and not being as grabby when defending downfield passes. 

Only 275 lbs right now, but he's 6'4 with almost 34 inch arms, and has a very strong upper body. He also brings a relentless motor, love of the game and super competitive attitude. If he can add 10-15 lbs, he could end up being the 3-tech they've been looking for. He has the talent, the upside and already possesses natural ability to get after the passer and be disruptive. 

Outside of Mayer, Allen is the most reliable pass catching TE in this draft. Lance Zierlein dubbed him the 'human vacuum'. At 6'6, he has a big catch radius and wins contested catches at a high rate. While he won't outrun anyone or create a ton of separation, he moves well, knows how to position his body and can highpoint pretty well. His inline blocking is decent. He's very willing, not afraid to mix it up and puts in time the trying to get better. He seems like the TE Joe would love and thrive with.

[b]5 (150)     C/G- JARRETT PATTERSON     NOTRE DAME     6'4-307
[/b]He started at C forb his 1st 3 years, then moved to LG this season. He gives the Bengals interior versatility, and insurance if Ted were to miss any time. He's an intelligent, experienced player and he's pretty technically sound. 

A tough back who took a lot of handoffs from shotgun. He's not really fast or elusive, but he can weave between traffic and doesn't go down easily. He'll be a 25 year old rookie, but he can pass protect and demonstrated good hands when he had receiving opportunities. 

The Bengals get a guy that won the Ray Guy award as the nation's best punter, with 35 of his 75 punts resulting in a fair catch, and pinned opponents in their 20 on 63% of his chances. 

Love it pretty much top to bottom.  Of course, I want a RT prospect early, but a lot of my mocks have the great ones gone by 28 and the good ones gone by 60, so I get that.  The trade back potential is very hight, but if they have a guy like Banks or Forbes (that's kind of funny....Banks/Forbes...you could say both players are (wait for it...)  money!  ) I think he will be the pick.  Just like Hill for backup plan to Bates, I think they get the CB to backup plan Chido getting big bucks elsewhere.

Ibrahim is a stud that no one seems dialed in on.  I know he had an injury in college but came back strong.  He was really their only offensive threat for a while during some really poor QB play.  
Reply/Quote
Interesting mock, Holic, I would be worried about going so small in the AFCN though. 2 small RBs, small WR, small DT.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 03:11 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I wanted to go a little different direction, because most of the mocks are looking pretty similar, and wanted to make the offense as dynamic and complete as possible, and only ended up with 2 defensive players. I think the O would be scary as hell and gives them the ability to be a lot more creative. I have them making Bengals making 2 trades and picking up one extra pick in total...

[/b]He started at C forb his 1st 3 years, then moved to LG this season. He gives the Bengals interior versatility, and insurance if Ted were to miss any time. He's an intelligent, experienced player and he's pretty technically sound. 

Davis Allen is an overlooked tight end that I think's going to be success. What the next level. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote

I am warming to the idea of Gibbs if the bue chip CBs, OTs, DEs, DTs, TEs, WRs, and Robinson are gone. My count of those gets to 21, plus the 4 QBs. Gibbs would be next for me. 
Reply/Quote