Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals #1 in new PFF Cap Health Rankings.
Haven’t done a deep dive yet https://twitter.com/pff_brad/status/1526588595380830208?s=21&t=bDgYoktRNt4Ykd8qgqUb6g

Also this:
Offseason Grade: A
Free Agency Grade: Good
Draft Grade: B+

The Bengals' offseason strategy this year could be taught in a clinic. They just made the Super Bowl but knew they needed to overhaul their offensive line. Rather than pay top-of-the-market money to the best offensive lineman they could find (Jacksonville…), they spread their investment in multiple Tier-2 free agents in the first hours of free agency. Guard Alex Cappa and center Ted Karras represented two clear upgrades. They had the patience to wait Dallas out and then recruit La’el Collins to play right tackle without surrendering a draft pick to make it happen. All of a sudden, four-fifths of the Bengals' offensive line is in good shape, giving the team the flexibility to draft any position.

That led to draft picks such as Daxton Hill — a versatile defensive back out of Michigan. Hill lined up primarily in the slot for the Wolverines, but nobody is quite sure where he fits in Cincinnati’s secondary because the team now has that luxury of just adding good players and piecing it together later.

The Bengals with Joe Burrow at quarterback should remain contenders due to this offseason.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2022, 06:29 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Haven’t done a deep dive yet https://twitter.com/pff_brad/status/1526588595380830208?s=21&t=bDgYoktRNt4Ykd8qgqUb6g

Also this:

The Bengals' offseason strategy this year could be taught in a clinic. They just made the Super Bowl but knew they needed to overhaul their offensive line. Rather than pay top-of-the-market money to the best offensive lineman they could find (Jacksonville…), they spread their investment in multiple Tier-2 free agents in the first hours of free agency. Guard Alex Cappa and center Ted Karras represented two clear upgrades. They had the patience to wait Dallas out and then recruit La’el Collins to play right tackle without surrendering a draft pick to make it happen. All of a sudden, four-fifths of the Bengals' offensive line is in good shape, giving the team the flexibility to draft any position.

That led to draft picks such as Daxton Hill — a versatile defensive back out of Michigan. Hill lined up primarily in the slot for the Wolverines, but nobody is quite sure where he fits in Cincinnati’s secondary because the team now has that luxury of just adding good players and piecing it together later.

The Bengals with Joe Burrow at quarterback should remain contenders due to this offseason.

Agreed. They did a great job this Offseason right when they needed to. If we stay healthy for the most part there isn't a team I 
have above the Cincinnati Bengals this season. I would bet on them to win it all over every other team right now. Buffalo might be
the team for us to watch out for as we haven't played them yet, maybe the Broncos with Russell Wilson and of course the Chargers
but I think we can beat all these teams. Will be close though. 

I just don't know how good Burrow is going to be with actual time, a running game and these weapons. Could be record breaking.

On the other side of the ball our Defense could be great as we can already stop the run and get after the passer, but we have guys
like Joseph Ossai and ADG coming back. While adding Dax Hill, CTB and Zachary Carter who we must of really liked at 3-tech.

ST's under Darrin Simmons should also be good and hopefully Lassiter or one of the other guys is that Returner we need.

Love our chances of at the very least making it back to the AFC title game.
Reply/Quote
Our front office has been so competent the last 3 years. If it wasn't for our reputation they would be getting much more credit for building an incredible roster.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2022, 06:29 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Haven’t done a deep dive yet https://twitter.com/pff_brad/status/1526588595380830208?s=21&t=bDgYoktRNt4Ykd8qgqUb6g

Also this:

Only things still on my wish list are:
- A vet OL who could play multiple positions and good enough to be a serviceable starter (no one wants to see Prince or Adeniji back out there)
- A vet WR to hold down the WR4 spot and not give us too much worry if they have to fill in for any of Chase, Higgins, or Boyd

Get those two things and this offseason was a slam dunk.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2022, 04:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Only things still on my wish list are:
- A vet OL who could play multiple positions and good enough to be a serviceable starter (no one wants to see Prince or Adeniji back out there)
- A vet WR to hold down the WR4 spot and not give us too much worry if they have to fill in for any of Chase, Higgins, or Boyd

No NFL team escapes depth issues everywhere. Just not possible. I agree another versatile OL and WR would be nice. I sure like our secondary depth now versus last year. I think Evans emerges as RB 2. I’m a little worried at backup center.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2022, 05:23 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: No NFL team escapes depth issues everywhere. Just not possible. I agree another versatile OL and WR would be nice. I sure like our secondary depth now versus last year. I think Evans emerges as RB 2. I’m a little worried at backup center.

I agree with all that.

I wanted someone to push Prince, Adeniji, and Hill off the roster.
I'm willing to give Hill more of a chance if the Bengals change up their scheme some though, but I don't think he's a good fit in wide zone.
He's limited athletically.

Adeniji is athletic but gets bullied easily.

Prince has always been a bad pass blocker.

With the addition of Volson, I do expect either Adeniji or Prince to be gone.

The thought of Stanley Morgan, Trenton Irwin, or Mike Thomas playing offense scares me.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Considering how bad some of the off seasons have been, in my opinion, I won't complain at all about this offseason.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2022, 05:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree with all that.

I'm willing to give Hill more of a chance if the Bengals change up their scheme some though, but I don't think he's a good fit in wide zone.

The thought of Stanley Morgan, Trenton Irwin, or Mike Thomas playing offense scares me.

Vegas has us at 9.5 wins
W Pitt NYJ Miami Cleveland NO Atl Carolina KC Pitt Cleveland Balt

L Bills Bucs Balt
50/50 Tenn NE Dallas

Now I have us dropping 2 of the 11 I’ve chalked as wins. So that’s 9 wins and I figure 1 of the 50/50. That’s 10 wins but I’d bet we squeak out another late in the year. This team will get tougher at the end.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 12:06 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Vegas has us at 9.5 wins
W Pitt NYJ Miami Cleveland NO Atl Carolina KC Pitt Cleveland Balt

L Bills Bucs Balt
50/50 Tenn NE Dallas

Now I have us dropping 2 of the 11 I’ve chalked as wins. So that’s 9 wins and I figure 1 of the 50/50. That’s 10 wins but I’d bet we squeak out another late in the year. This team will get tougher at the end.

I would do the over, I'm at 11 wins.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2022, 05:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree with all that.

Ben Brown may be the guy to really challenge Adeniji and Hill.

The coaches seem to really like Prince as a swing tackle (way more than I do).

Smith, Prince, Volston & Brown cover the 5 backup spots.

Reply/Quote

Also this:

Free agency was extremely impressive with the Oline additions.

I'm in a wait a see mode as to the draft. Until they play we truly do not know, especially with the picks we made.

Reply/Quote
Was quite pleased with the 3 solid OL signings early, but then it kind of felt like they were content to just pat themselves on the back for a job well done instead of continuing to get better.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 07:40 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Was quite pleased with the 3 solid OL signings early, but then it kind of felt like they were content to just pat themselves on the back for a job well done instead of continuing to get better.

Maybe, or they think that they have LG covered and they were hopeful that the draft would cover their depth needs at CB and DT3?  There is no doubt that we missed out on some guys we hoped would still be available during the draft.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 07:58 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Maybe, or they think that they have LG covered and they were hopeful that the draft would cover their depth needs at CB and DT3?  There is no doubt that we missed out on some guys we hoped would still be available during the draft.

They liked McBride and were really disappointed they missed on Romeo Doubs WR/ST from Nevada. He went to GB at 132 and we were at 136.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 09:36 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They liked McBride and were really disappointed they missed on Romeo Doubs WR/ST from Nevada. He went to GB at 132 and we were at 136.

No doubt they liked Trey, but with drop off at CB they had to take CTB unless they had a backup plan. 

I liked Doubs as well.  I'd bet had we drafted him that we still had a slim chance at Volson and Anderson in later rounds than we originally selected.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 07:40 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Was quite pleased with the 3 solid OL signings early, but then it kind of felt like they were content to just pat themselves on the back for a job well done instead of continuing to get better.

Me too, the years and years err decades and decades of suffering has made me gun shy about the competence of our FO/Coaches and their roster decisions. 

And I feel like I'm Dead Horse but I'd still feel much better if they'd sign at least one more established vet Olineman. Perhaps between Smith, Carman, and Volson we're ok ? But I just don't have a ton of faith in the rest of em ?
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 11:45 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me too, the years and years err decades and decades of suffering has made me gun shy about the competence of our FO/Coaches and their roster decisions. 

And I feel like I'm Dead Horse but I'd still feel much better if they'd sign at least one more established vet Olineman. Perhaps between Smith, Carman, and Volson we're ok ? But I just don't have a ton of faith in the rest of em ?

Wasn't even just the OL for me, though I sure wish they did as well. I just thought they could have added another quality vet CB, LB, WR, or OL in FA, still been perfectly comfortable in cap space, and made their team a bit better.

Heck, the Bengals are sitting on $15.3m in cap space right now, and they could have tried to move Bates to free up another $12.9m. There's certainly quite a bit that could have been done to improve the team with $28.2m in cap space, and that's not even talking doing any kind of cap manipulation. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I suppose one unanswered question is, how far will Jessie Bates take things? If he holds out this year then we should have just paid him another 6-8 million over what we're already giving him and if that creates cap problems in the future, you trade him.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 02:03 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I suppose one unanswered question is, how far will Jessie Bates take things? If he holds out this year then we should have just paid him another 6-8 million over what we're already giving him and if that creates cap problems in the future, you trade him.

I don't even think Bates has signed the Franchise Tag yet? If that is the case we are giving him nothing if he holds out.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2022, 04:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Only things still on my wish list are:

Yes, would like these two things done to top it off. Wink
Reply/Quote