Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 1st Week Of Practice Like O Line Changes
On Bengals.com, the Bengal players in first week of practice said they like the new coaches Offensive Line blocking style in The New Offense. So some good news out of first week. Bengals were allowed to start before other teams due to new head coach.

The word for Fans to adjust to is NEW. Forget talking about what was. The change from Coach Lewis to Coach Taylor into the Roaring 20's is all like New Years. Out With The Old, In With The New. What was in the past, what happened in the past, is now Ancient History, even 2018. The Bengals will have new coaches and a whole new Offensive and Defensive Playbooks and Mind Set. The word in Bengals Nation to grasp is NEW. Forget what was and look ahead to what can be.

Don't be surprised if NEW Bengals playbook and style is more Super Bowl Rams than Marvin Bengals.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Too bad the "new" approach to free agency was even worse than the old.

Hope all the other "new" stuff is better.
Reply/Quote
I read the article, and a couple of things jumped out to me. Calling the new offense "OL friendly" is a great way of saying "we're not going to be predictable". That can only be a good thing for the team. As rushing for a few yards, then dropping back so many times really puts the OL on the defensive posture. The defense knows that they can just rush the pass, full bore. While changing up the play scheme, and using more moving pockets allows the OL to be the aggressors.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Sounds positive but I see better than I hear.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
They liked the change from the Piano Man to Pollack last year too. Liking the change doesn't mean they can execute it

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Cool. The first positive article to come can’t wait for the next 100 articles saying how great things are we are aggressive on offense n defense as we go 5- 11 again. I still remember the greet article about how Obguehi has been working out with Jay Glazer n doing sone mma training n will be a new man. I think half the fan base actually fell for it , good times.
Reply/Quote
So what's the new motto? We are running out of ways to use "dey". Dump Dey?
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 12:13 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: So what's the new motto? We are running out of ways to use "dey". Dump Dey?

Dey Better Watch Out...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 12:13 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: So what's the new motto? We are running out of ways to use "dey". Dump Dey?

"Got Dey-Um"
Reply/Quote
"Show Us Dey Wey."
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 11:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Too bad the "new" approach to free agency was even worse than the old.

Hope all the other "new" stuff is better.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting A-list signings in FA, but I was expecting more than what we got.

Realistically, I was hoping for a Marvin in 03 kind of free agency period.  I'd even replace the word hoping with expecting.  Gotta figure a new coach with a new philosophy as touted in this very article might want different players to fit his differences in scheme.  That on top of some massively underperforming position groups made the possibility seem pretty likely.

Maybe the first year under Taylor is going to be an evaluation of in house talent before a second year of action as it relates to the roster.  That's what happened in Los Angeles under McVey, although they were still a bit more active in his first season as HC that the Bengals were this year.

Worst case scenario is that without Marvin, the organization is a rudderless ship in terms of talent evaluation.  Marvin was very good at building a roster despite his shortcomings in other areas.  Being as limited as he was by the family's approach to free agency, he always did a decent job in the draft and picking through the scraps when he had to.  I have no idea how good Taylor and his people are at it, but I guess we'll find out.  I know that the Brown family was fairly bad at it before Marvin arrived with a few exceptions.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 12:35 PM)jason Wrote: Dey Better Watch Out...

Dey Better not Cry

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

Same S****, different dey..  I really hope not..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Dey hatin'.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 01:53 PM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, I wasn't expecting A-list signings in FA, but I was expecting more than what we got.

Realistically, I was hoping for a Marvin in 03 kind of free agency period.  I'd even replace the word hoping with expecting.  Gotta figure a new coach with a new philosophy as touted in this very article might want different players to fit his differences in scheme.  That on top of some massively underperforming position groups made the possibility seem pretty likely.

Maybe the first year under Taylor is going to be an evaluation of in house talent before a second year of action as it relates to the roster.  That's what happened in Los Angeles under McVey, although they were still a bit more active in his first season as HC that the Bengals were this year.

Worst case scenario is that without Marvin, the organization is a rudderless ship in terms of talent evaluation.  Marvin was very good at building a roster despite his shortcomings in other areas.  Being as limited as he was by the family's approach to free agency, he always did a decent job in the draft and picking through the scraps when he had to.  I have no idea how good Taylor and his people are at it, but I guess we'll find out.  I know that the Brown family was fairly bad at it before Marvin arrived with a few exceptions.

Yep. I was wishing for a starter through free agency at least but we settled for crap again. Only thing I can think of we are really tanking the next two years waiting on QB Lawrence
Reply/Quote
I'm loving it and I'm hoping that it makes Mixon forget that he was upset that we let Pollack go and he just has a huge year running through big holes.

Winning cures all so I feel pretty confident that he'll be ok once the lanes start opening up.

In that aspect, with the players being excited about the coaches, I hope that they start feeding off of each other's energy and desire to win.

I am upset that we haven't been active in free agency, but we don't have many holes to fill, and good players will be cut from other teams, so I think we'll be ok with a solid draft.

People are saying we'll be good in Taylor's second season, but I think we can make a run this year!
Reply/Quote
To be honest this free agent crop except for the LBs was weak in the areas we wanted (offensive line). Would I have liked them to drop the big dime on Mosley? Sure. But I am not going to fault them not shopping heavy for linemen in a bad FA class of linemen.

As to the practice, maybe the linemen like it because the scheme actually fits their skillsets? Let's not forget a big issue last season on both sides of the ball was schemes not fitting what the players did well. Maybe we've FINALLY ditched the stupid zone blocking and gone to power football? Until wee can see it who knows?
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 03:47 PM)Joelist Wrote: As to the practice, maybe the linemen like it because the scheme actually fits their skillsets? Let's not forget a big issue last season on both sides of the ball was schemes not fitting what the players did well. Maybe we've FINALLY ditched the stupid zone blocking and gone to power football? Until wee can see it who knows?

...and to be fair, it's not like they're going to come out and say "man, we hate this new system" either.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 02:09 PM)pally Wrote: Dey Better not Cry

Dey Better Not Pout I'm telling You Why...
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 01:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Got Dey-UmMilk?"

fixed it for ya..
Reply/Quote