Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 1st Week Of Practice Like O Line Changes
(04-14-2019, 03:57 PM)NKURyan Wrote: ...and to be fair, it's not like they're going to come out and say "man, we hate this new system" either.

You're right, we wouldn't had any quotes that expressed negative sentiments, but if they didn't find it to their liking, we would likely have seen quotes like "It's going to be a bit of an adjustment", or "This new system will take some getting used to", etc.  As for me, I'm willing to accept the positive feedback as genuine.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The new "system" that the O-linemen love is the one that offers them 700% raises for playing poorly.

That's about as "o-line friendly" as you can get.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 11:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Too bad the "new" approach to free agency was even worse than the old.

Hope all the other "new" stuff is better.

Agreed. I loved the Taylor signing, but everything since has kinda taken away from that excitement. The Bengals really had a big opportunity to change the culture and some perceptions, but it doesn't seem like they're willing to change their methods. 

I'm still looking forward to seeing what Taylor brings (and the new staff - despite their unimpressive resumes). I like that the staff is following successful trends, like having an offensive minded HC calling plays while the "offensive coordinator" acts in a different manner.

Just wish this FO was more willing to change themselves to help Taylor and co be in a better position to be successful immediately. Instead, this FA was worse than standard fare...even by Bengals standards.

At this point, we just have to hope that a regime change has a major impact (which is possible if Taylor winds up a diamond) and we hit on some major needs in the draft.

All coaches need players. Marvin couldn't even win regular season 1pm games without it. Sean McVay saw a weakness in the Rams o-line and the Rams addressed it with Whitworth. We addressed it with Hart and Miller. Obviously there's quite a difference there.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Please name the Free Agent players at OG and OT the Bengals should have pursued this year, which even a lot of sportswriters acknowledged was not a good crop on offensive line. I'm not trying to be contrarian but if we are going to express disappointment then we should be specific about what we believe should have been done.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 04:54 PM)Joelist Wrote: Please name the Free Agent players at OG and OT the Bengals should have pursued this year, which even a lot of sportswriters acknowledged was not a good crop on offensive line. I'm not trying to be contrarian but if we are going to express disappointment then we should be specific about what we believe should have been done.

Off the top of my head at T, Matt Kalil and Daryl Williams would have been great candidates.  Neither one of them broke the bank with the teams they signed with.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 04:54 PM)Joelist Wrote: Please name the Free Agent players at OG and OT the Bengals should have pursued this year, which even a lot of sportswriters acknowledged was not a good crop on offensive line. I'm not trying to be contrarian but if we are going to express disappointment then we should be specific about what we believe should have been done.

Fair enough. Here's a list of guys who made the top 100 free agents on nfl.com. Hart and Miller were nowhere to be seen on the list.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018706/article/2019-nfl-free-agency-updated-top-101-nfl-free-agents

Daryl Williams - 1 year/$7 million - all-pro in 2017

Rodger Saffold - 4 years/$44 million - some will say this is too much, but looking at the rising costs of o-linemen or even looking at what we paid for Hart and Miller, this contract looks downright fair. And you're getting a great player.

DJ Fluker - 2 years/$9 million - the guy performed in Seattle. Better than Hart and cheaper to boot. 

James Carpenter - 4 years/$21 million - again, probably better than what we got.

Ja'Wuan James - 4 years/$51 million - it's a pretty big contract, but substantially less than Trent Brown. Do we want a good line or not? The Rams gave whit a big contract. We sat on the sidelines.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 05:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fair enough. Here's a list of guys who made the top 100 free agents on nfl.com. Hart and Miller were nowhere to be seen on the list.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018706/article/2019-nfl-free-agency-updated-top-101-nfl-free-agents

Rodger Saffold - 4 years/$44 million - some will say this is too much, but looking at the rising costs of o-linemen or even looking at what we paid for Hart and Miller, this contract looks downright fair. And you're getting a great player.

DJ Fluker - 2 years/$9 million - the guy performed in Seattle. Better than Hart and cheaper to boot. 

James Carpenter - 4 years/$21 million - again, probably better than what we got.

Ja'Wuan James - 4 years/$51 million - it's a pretty big contract, but substantially less than Trent Brown. Do we want a good line or not? The Rams gave whit a big contract. We sat on the sidelines.

Take it with a grain of salt, but Carpenter had a PFF grade of 56 and Fluker was 49.  Neither represents an upgrade.  In fact, Fluker is a big downgrade.

Williams is coming off a major knee injury and probably made the best decision he could have staying with the Panthers.  He doesn't have to adjust to a new scheme and teammates while recovering.

I liked James as a FA, but he got twice what he was projected to get.  While an average RT is a big upgrade, he is still getting elite money for being simply average.

Saffold is a good LG, but he's up there in age and maybe doesn't translate to RG.
Reply/Quote
[Image: th?id=OIP.KkgPooVLunT4rTqG9GLQOAHaJ7&pid...=300&h=300] Dey !
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 11:19 AM)kevin Wrote: Don't be surprised if NEW Bengals playbook and style is more Super Bowl Rams than Marvin Bengals.

I'm not sure if you mean this as a knock against them, seeing as the Rams scored 3 points in the SB.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 05:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fair enough. Here's a list of guys who made the top 100 free agents on nfl.com. Hart and Miller were nowhere to be seen on the list.

Okay this is better because it is specific. I will note that it is a weak crop. James is middling at best and got crazy money precisely because the market was so thin. I agree I would have preferred getting someone like Williams or Fluker than keeping Hart even after we learned the contract was not as rich as originally advertised but even there they basically are journeymen. If the plan is to take OL high (as in Rds 1 or 2) then they may reason that bringing in such players is needless. 
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 03:39 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Dey hatin'.

Dey Done Lost Dey Damn Minds.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I usually say that a free agent will go wherever he gets the most money, but maybe the free gent O-linemen just did not want to play here.   Maybe they don't want to deal with Turner's BS, or maybe they just don't have any respect or confidence in the whole new regime.

But even if Hart was the best we could get we should not have paid him $7 million for next year.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 07:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I usually say that a free agent will go wherever he gets the most money, but maybe the free gent O-linemen just did not want to play here.   Maybe they don't want to deal with Turner's BS, or maybe they just don't have any respect or confidence in the whole new regime.

But even if Hart was the best we could get we should not have paid him $7 million for next year.

So true . I can’t believe I’m agreeing with Fred more n more lately. As long as we stick to Non dalton talk he’s ok.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 11:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Too bad the "new" approach to free agency was even worse than the old.

Hope all the other "new" stuff is better.

Unfortunately, there's still a lot of "old" left to the Bengals.   Specifically, those that write the checks.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 07:10 PM)jason Wrote: Dey Done Lost Dey Damn Minds.

WINNER!

Fred a close second with "Got Dey em"

But also Fred, on the subject of free agency, I was also heartily disappointed.  Never thought we would suddenly become big players, but hell, we got worse.

I just thought we would take a little pressure off the draft with, possibly someone even like Saffold.  But now I nervously await the draft. If we don't come out of there with a damn good linebacker and offensive tackle who can start quickly, It's going to be a big let down for me.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 08:33 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: WINNER!

Fred a close second with "Got Dey em"

But also Fred, on the subject of free agency, I was also heartily disappointed.  Never thought we would suddenly become big players, but hell, we got worse.

I just thought we would take a little pressure off the draft with, possibly someone even like Saffold.  But now I nervously await the draft. If we don't come out of there with a damn good linebacker and offensive tackle who can start quickly, It's going to be a big let down for me.

I disagree that we got worse. We added some secondary depth and Miller is better than Redmond the penalty machine. Did we get better? Marginally. It really is going to come down to coaching and scheme. For example, adding Miller gives us a starting OL unit where 4 of the 5 players would be rather better in a power scheme. So the question becomes - will we switch to a power scheme and use directional drive blocking? 
Reply/Quote

If the case was that there were no better options in FA (there were), then they should have targeted linebackers with their cap room and gone into round 1 looking at Taylor or Jonah.  One will be there.  Both will likely be a hell of a lot better than false start Hart.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 10:44 PM)samhain Wrote: If the case was that there were no better options in FA (there were), then they should have targeted linebackers with their cap room and gone into round 1 looking at Taylor or Jonah.  One will be there.  Both will likely be a hell of a lot better than false start Hart.

So name the better options you believed they should have signed. 

Me I agree they should have targeted LB in Free Agency and dropped the big dollars for Mosley. On offensive line the pickings were sparse. Miller was actually in the Top 10 offensive line Free Agents rankings - which tells you how lean the cupboard was. 
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 12:13 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: So what's the new motto? We are running out of ways to use "dey". Dump Dey?

It's a "New-Dey" can I patent this?
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2019, 11:30 PM)TKUHL Wrote: It's a "New-Dey" can I patent this?

Aren't you a Lawyer Fred? Joking aside I really would like New-Dey on t-shirts this season. I think it will catch on.
Reply/Quote