Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 1st Week Of Practice Like O Line Changes
(04-15-2019, 03:48 PM)kevin Wrote: That's the way fans have been Bungalized.  Wishing for two awful seasons for a draft day in 2021.  Only fans who became Bungles live for draft day over game day this much.  I'll go on record as saying I do NOT want 2 awful seasons to get some dude in the draft 2 years from now.  My guess is he is not the Superman or he would be in draft sooner.  I guarantee you the coaches and players are not thinking of trying to lose for 2 years to draft this gherkin.  For all you people know, Lawrence may stink in the NFL.

If they go about it with the mindset of acting like they are trying to compete while fielding a team that will at best be 7-9 or 8-8, then you are right it will be crap. However, if they actually go into this and make it a full blown rebuild meaning you trade AJ, Geno, Dunlap, etc, etc, and stockpile young talent and picks to build a great young core that doesn't have the previous regime's mindset then I have no issue with it at all. 

To me, the Bungles are the people who think a new coach and one draft will fix all the holes and issues this team faces currently. It is a middle of the road roster for a team that won't spend in free agency. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 12:45 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fair points with most of this, but I still say it's discouraging to see this team sit on its hands when the o-line has been an issue 3 years running. If they didn't like the linemen in free agency, why not target a LB and free up the draft to shore up the line?

Imo, the lackadaisical free agency is indefensible. You're coming off of 3 straight losing seasons and working in a regime. Show them you're serious about winning and give them some talent to work with.

My personal feeling was that they should have addressed LB in FA, as that's where you're going to get your best bang for the buck.  I'm not really sure what the thought process is.  They could be seeing Brown as an add because he was basically hurt all of last year.  They may think they have plenty of good young talent with guys like Vigil, Jefferson, and Evans and they just weren't coached properly.  I don't think any of us thought Haslett was worth a crap.  Personally, I would have passed on reupping Dennard(we were already pretty set at CB after signing Webb) or Uzomah(it's a stacked TE draft class) and put that money towards a solid LB.  
Reply/Quote
It is a New Dey fellas. Liking hearing this, sounds like a less predictable Offense we will be running.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 09:13 PM)Whatever Wrote: My personal feeling was that they should have addressed LB in FA, as that's where you're going to get your best bang for the buck.  I'm not really sure what the thought process is.  They could be seeing Brown as an add because he was basically hurt all of last year.  They may think they have plenty of good young talent with guys like Vigil, Jefferson, and Evans and they just weren't coached properly.  I don't think any of us thought Haslett was worth a crap.  Personally, I would have passed on reupping Dennard(we were already pretty set at CB after signing Webb) or Uzomah(it's a stacked TE draft class) and put that money towards a solid LB.  

1st... Its a passing league and if you were to stack any position... CB is one that is easily arguable. 

2nd... What other TE did we have? We let Kroft walk. Eifert was re-signed after Uzomah. And, honestly, Uzomah would be my 1st string TE in 2019. Keep Eifert as a passing TE in specific formations. Let Uzomah block. People forget the Rams use TEs as blockers more often then not. Getting rid of every TE meant we were start over with a 3rd or 4th round pick... or skip LB/OL early.

CJ Mosley would have been a great LB pick... $17 million a year. But there are 2 LBs in this draft that will cost less than that over 4 years.  With the 11th pick we can hopefully grab one of those LBs.  And there is a lot of OL in the draft (plus the Rams used a lot of TE blocking formations)...

*Fisher is a TE on the Bills this year, I wonder what his season will look like
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 10:40 AM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: 1st... Its a passing league and if you were to stack any position... CB is one that is easily arguable. 

2nd... What other TE did we have? We let Kroft walk. Eifert was re-signed after Uzomah. And, honestly, Uzomah would be my 1st string TE in 2019. Keep Eifert as a passing TE in specific formations. Let Uzomah block. People forget the Rams use TEs as blockers more often then not. Getting rid of every TE meant we were start over with a 3rd or 4th round pick... or skip LB/OL early.

CJ Mosley would have been a great LB pick... $17 million a year. But there are 2 LBs in this draft that will cost less than that over 4 years.  With the 11th pick we can hopefully grab one of those LBs.  And there is a lot of OL in the draft (plus the Rams used a lot of TE blocking formations)...

*Fisher is a TE on the Bills this year, I wonder what his season will look like

Eifert was just testing the market, though.  This is a stacked TE class.  There are guys with potential future starter grades projected to go in 4-5.  Conversely, it's a weak LB class.  I'm much more confident in the ability to find a TE to split time with Eifert over a 3 down LB outside of 1.

Mosley is an elite MLB and got $17 mil a year.  Juwan James is an average starting RT and got $14 mil per year.  You could get a quality starter at LB for $7-9 mil this year.  I would rather have a T or DL on the relative cheap for the next 5 years than a LB. White and Bush are both overrated based on how bad this LB class is.  
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 03:48 PM)kevin Wrote: That's the way fans have been Bungalized.  Wishing for two awful seasons for a draft day in 2021.  Only fans who became Bungles live for draft day over game day this much.  I'll go on record as saying I do NOT want 2 awful seasons to get some dude in the draft 2 years from now.  My guess is he is not the Superman or he would be in draft sooner.  I guarantee you the coaches and players are not thinking of trying to lose for 2 years to draft this gherkin.  For all you people know, Lawrence may stink in the NFL.

I’m strangely entertained that you called this guy a “gherkin”. Enquiring minds want to know, how did you settle on that over other choices such as
“bratwurst” or “yam”?
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 09:13 PM)Whatever Wrote: My personal feeling was that they should have addressed LB in FA, as that's where you're going to get your best bang for the buck.  I'm not really sure what the thought process is.  They could be seeing Brown as an add because he was basically hurt all of last year.  They may think they have plenty of good young talent with guys like Vigil, Jefferson, and Evans and they just weren't coached properly.  I don't think any of us thought Haslett was worth a crap.  Personally, I would have passed on reupping Dennard(we were already pretty set at CB after signing Webb) or Uzomah(it's a stacked TE draft class) and put that money towards a solid LB.  

Yeah we really PAID for Dennard. We signed a CB to a decent contract because Dennard was dragging his feet, and then wound up signing Dennard anyway. I agree, we should've moved on and signed a LB. Webb was rated better in the slot than Dennard anyway. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote