3. Ravens
4. Texans
5. Cowboys
6. Raiders
7. Steelers
8. Chiefs
9. Broncos
10. Patriots

If we have another mass exodus in FA we should drop on this list.

Though this year there are not many players I care to have them re-sign
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
Most homegrown players on a team =/= keeping drafted "talent".

If you draft Whitworth, Zeitler, Evans, Fejedelem, Vigil, Uzomah, Bodine, Core, Malone, and Billings...... and 8/10 of those players are still on your roster, that doesn't mean you're keeping drafted "talent" (80%, whooo!), it means you let your good players leave and have a bad roster where there's nobody good to knock off the bad players you drafted.

I mean, just like 2 years ago, the 49ers were 5th in this stat. It doesn't really mean anything.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
This used to be one of Mike Brown and Hobspin's go-to stats. Just because they're keeping a lot of drafted players doesn't mean those kept players are any good. Leonard Leap did a good job of explaining that.

I'd like to see a list of drafted players that made a pro-bowl, all-pro or top 10 at their position according to PFF.

Those would be a more accurate way of judging draft success...rather than just looking at whether or not we kept these players. You could also simply look at our recent record. We're not winning for some reason. I'd argue that draft busts along the o-line is a huge part of that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 08:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This used to be one of Mike Brown and Hobspin's go-to stats. Just because they're keeping a lot of drafted players doesn't mean those kept players are any good. Leonard Leap did a good job of explaining that.

I'd like to see a list of drafted players that made a pro-bowl, all-pro or top 10 at their position according to PFF.

Those would be a more accurate way of judging draft success...rather than just looking at whether or not we kept these players. You could also simply look at our recent record. We're not winning for some reason. I'd argue that draft busts along the o-line is a huge part of that.

Drafted players that have made the Pro Bowl would be...

Andy Dalton
AJ Green
Tyler Eifert
Geno Atkins
Carlos Dunlap
Kevin Huber

You can arguably count Vontaze Burfict based on the spirit of the criteria, but not the letter.  While he wasn't drafted by the Bengals, they are his original team.

Clayton Fejeldum may make the list this year.  He is 2nd alternate as a ST'er, doing very well in the player's and coach's voting, but abysmally in fan voting.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 04:08 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: For those interested in homegrown players on a team the top 10 teams were

1. Packers
1. Bengals
3. Ravens
4. Texans
5. Cowboys
6. Raiders
7. Steelers
8. Chiefs
9. Broncos
10. Patriots

If we have another mass exodus in FA we should drop on this list.

Though this year there are not many players I care to have them re-sign

Had to wait till 7 the find a playoff team on that list... so yeah there’s that.
Reply/Quote
Eh. Mikey just hates goodbyes. See: Mervlin
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 11:00 PM)motoarch Wrote: Had to wait till 7 the find a playoff team on that list... so yeah there’s that.

Let's not play like the majority of the teams on that top 10 list are some of the best in the NFL 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
This is like losing a drag race then exclaiming your car has the most factory parts.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 11:00 PM)motoarch Wrote: Had to wait till 7 the find a playoff team on that list... so yeah there’s that.

#1 on the list missed the playoffs for the first time since 2009, with their starting QB missing two months.

Don't act like the top of the list is the Browns, Bills, Jets, Dolphins, etc...
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 11:08 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: #1 on the list missed the playoffs for the first time since 2009, with their starting QB missing two months.

Don't act like the top of the list is the Browns, Bills, Jets, Dolphins, etc...

The Browns probably lead the list of teams that trade away their top picks for top picks in the shortest period..and perhaps the longest period as well..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Yay? Mellow 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 10:25 PM)Whatever Wrote: Drafted players that have made the Pro Bowl would be...

Andy Dalton
AJ Green
Tyler Eifert
Geno Atkins
Carlos Dunlap
Kevin Huber

You can arguably count Vontaze Burfict based on the spirit of the criteria, but not the letter.  While he wasn't drafted by the Bengals, they are his original team.

Clayton Fejeldum may make the list this year.  He is 2nd alternate as a ST'er, doing very well in the player's and coach's voting, but abysmally in fan voting.

So 6.5? That's really not a lot for 10 years. Hell, some teams have that many pro-bowlers in a single year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 08:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This used to be one of Mike Brown and Hobspin's go-to stats. Just because they're keeping a lot of drafted players doesn't mean those kept players are any good.

Actually the number Hobsin loved to throw around was the number of drafted players in the league.  That is a good indicator of how well a team is drafting, but says nothing about how well a team does keeping their own talent.

(01-08-2018, 08:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd like to see a list of drafted players that made a pro-bowl, all-pro or top 10 at their position according to PFF.

Over the last decade the Bengals have drafted 7 Pro Bowl players.  That ranks 12th in the league.
Reply/Quote
Pro Bowl players?

Why does that matter. Dalton is a bottom 10 NFl qb and has fallen into the pro bowl via other qb attrition twice.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 07:32 PM)ElderStatesman Wrote: Pro Bowl players?

Why does that matter.  Dalton is a bottom 10 NFl qb  and has fallen into the pro bowl via other qb attrition twice.

Andy missed the Pro Bowl in 2015 when he had the #2 passer rating in the league.

So it all evens out.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 07:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually the number Hobsin loved to throw around was the number of drafted players in the league.  That is a good indicator of how well a team is drafting, but says nothing about how well a team does keeping their own talent.

Over the last decade the Bengals have drafted 7 Pro Bowl players.  That ranks 12th in the league.

Link? Ninja

We had a stretch where we drafted well, and that was the fuel for 5 straight playoff cameos. We also flopped hard on the Ogbuehi, Fisher and Bodine picks, and that played a major role in consecutive losing seasons. I'm a Tobin fan, but with our approach to free agency, we can't afford many weak drafts.
Reply/Quote