Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2007 defense
**EDIT 11-16**...BUMPING THIS THREAD BECAUSE OF OUR CHANGE AT DC.  

Possibly the worst Bengals game I ever watched (and that is saying a lot) was a loss to the Bills in 2007.  The Bills offense that year would finish ranked 30th in both points and yards, but in week 9 they steamrolled the Bengals defense for 479 yards 23 first downs, and six scoring drives.  The Bills easily scored 17 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to win 33-21.

At that point in the season the Bengals defense was dead last in scoring (30.5 per game) and 31st in yards allowed (397.1).  Their record was 2-6.

The next week the Bengals had 3 new starters on defense (LBs Rashard Jeanty and Dhani Jones, CB Leon Hall) and there was a complete transformation.  They shut out the Ravens except for a meaningless td with less than 2 minutes left in a 21-7 Bengals win.  The Ravens only had 272 yards and 16 first downs.

Over the final 8 weeks of that season the Bengals defense was 6th in points allowed and 9th in yards. They gave up 100 fewer points (141 to 242) and almost 100 fewer yards per game (300.4 to 397.1) than in the first half of the season.  They also went 6-2.

So there is still hope.
Reply/Quote
On an interesting side note. The 21-7 win over the Ravens featured the last pass attempt of Steve McNair's NFL career. He fumbled on a sack by Jon Fanene late in the fourth quarter and was replaced by Kyle Boller.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 03:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: ...So there is still hope.

[Image: tenor.gif]
Reply/Quote
Plus this Defense has much more talented players overall and most are really young.

I am just not liking our DC and our LB coach. Wish we could move on from these guys but in the middle of the season i
guess that is just not based in reality. Austin needs to switch it up and play more aggressive man to man. We are getting
burnt anyways, might as well play aggressive and get burnt.

Truck said Evans played well against Tampa, Vigil will be coming back. We might be okay.

At 5-3 there is always a chance. Especially with our weapons on Offense and Price and Gio being healthy soon.
Reply/Quote
I think you're confusing the 2007 Bills and Ravens... I'm almost certain that near shutout against Baltimore happened in 2006 and the 2007 Bills game was played in Buffalo (I was at this one)
Reply/Quote
So Lewis didn't know who his best players were until being embarrassed. No way! Get out...
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 05:59 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: So Lewis didn't know who his best players were until being embarrassed. No way! Get out...

Yeah im not buying it,not Marvin Blewis
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 03:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Possibly the worst Bengals game I ever watched (and that is saying a lot) was a loss at home to the Bills in 2007.  The Bills offense that year would finish ranked 30th in both points and yards, but in week 9 they steamrolled the Bengals defense for 479 yards 23 first downs, and six scoring drives.  The Bills easily scored 17 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to win 33-21.

At that point in the season the Bengals defense was dead last in scoring (30.5 per game) and 31st in yards allowed (397.1).  Their record was 2-6.

The next week the Bengals had 3 new starters on defense (LBs Rashard Jeanty and Dhani Jones, CB Leon Hall) and there was a complete transformation.  They shut out the Ravens except for a meaningless td with less than 2 minutes left in a 21-7 Bengals win.  The Ravens only had 272 yards and 16 first downs.

Over the final 8 weeks of that season the Bengals defense was 6th in points allowed and 9th in yards. They gave up 100 fewer points (141 to 242) and almost 100 fewer yards per game (300.4 to 397.1) than in the first half of the season.  They also went 6-2.

So there is still hope.

What about the game we lost to the browns in a shoot out?

Or when (was it the chargers?) came back from almost 30 down in the second half to beat us by 10 or so?
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 04:09 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I think you're confusing the 2007 Bills and Ravens... I'm almost certain that near shutout against Baltimore happened in 2006 and the 2007 Bills game was played in Buffalo (I was at this one)

You are correct.  The loss to the Bills in week 9 of '07 was at Buffalo.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 05:59 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: So Lewis didn't know who his best players were until being embarrassed. No way! Get out...

(10-30-2018, 06:15 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Yeah im not buying it,not Marvin Blewis

Actually Marvin was a genius for signing Dhani off the street after the season started to help save the defense.  That was the year we had so many LBs injured that Robert Geathers actually started at LB and Kevin Kaesviharn saw some snaps as a nickle LB.
Reply/Quote
So are the Bengals getting a Dhani Jones and young Leon Hall back soon? Cause they would definitely help the D out.

But Vigil will be back at least, so that is good. Burfict has been a bust so far this season, so triple crossed fingers in hopes he can do something to make up for the Bengals not getting rid of him this last offseason.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 06:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually Marvin was a genius for signing Dhani off the street after the season started to help save the defense.  That was the year we had so many LBs injured that Robert Geathers actually started at LB and Kevin Kaesviharn saw some snaps as a nickle LB.

Don't remind me about Geathers at LB, please. In all seriousness, Dhani was a very solid addition.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 06:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: What about the game we lost to the browns in a shoot out?

Or when (was it the chargers?) came back from almost 30 down in the second half to beat us by 10 or so?

The shootout with the Browns was earlier in '07 and one of the reasons our defensive stats were so bad.  Good thing was we got revenge by beating them in week 16 to keep them from making the playoffs despite winning 10 games.

The Chargers loss was in '06.  It was a bigger collapse (we led 28-7 at half) but that was a Charger team that finished the season 14-2.

They all sucked, but the Bills were such a bad team in '07.  That was what made it so painful.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 06:29 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Don't remind me about Geathers at LB, please. In all seriousness, Dhani was a very solid addition.

Hey, he went in coverage in week 1 and had that wonderful pick, returned for... 36 yards it was, I think lol.

And Michael Myers had a diving pick that game!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 09:20 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Hey, he went in coverage in week 1 and had that wonderful pick, returned for... 36 yards it was, I think lol.

And Michael Myers had a diving pick that game!

Speaking of Geathers, I’m pretty sure Michael Johnson is the modern day version of him.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 10:24 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Speaking of Geathers, I’m pretty sure Michael Johnson is the modern day version of him.

I've been saying that for a couple of years now lol.

MJ is the better player though.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Bumping this thread because of our change at DC.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 03:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: **EDIT 11-16**...BUMPING THIS THREAD BECAUSE OF OUR CHANGE AT DC.  

Possibly the worst Bengals game I ever watched (and that is saying a lot) was a loss to the Bills in 2007.  The Bills offense that year would finish ranked 30th in both points and yards, but in week 9 they steamrolled the Bengals defense for 479 yards 23 first downs, and six scoring drives.  The Bills easily scored 17 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to win 33-21.

So there is still hope.

Given the Bengals are essentially going through the same thing now, do you foresee any change in starters (not just due to injuries)? If so, who?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2018, 02:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Given the Bengals are essentially going through the same thing now, do you foresee any change in starters (not just due to injuries)? If so, who?

not sure we have much wiggle room for changing starters that aren't injured.
Reply/Quote
Seeing as how the defense has allowed an average of 529 yards and 30 first downs over the last 4 games...even a semi-competent effort this week will be a vast improvement. 
Reply/Quote