Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bengals 2019 LBers
I am looking forward to seeing what a new dc and lb coach can do for this unit. I would say the lb position might be my second biggest disappointment with this team, behind post season success of course.

Based on Marvin’s track record as a defensive guru I thought he’d be cranking out pro bowlers and all pros yearly. Odell drinking himself out of football hurt. Missing on mid round picks hurt. Not investing higher picks in the position hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 04:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Need to have good coaching to get the most out of raw, talented players. Marv and his crew shown they couldn't do it. Lets see if Taylor and his crew can. Yes, i never seen anything worse than Nickerson, you put in a talent like Malik if the guy starting is this bad regardless of what happens. Atleast your talented young LB gets some snaps and gets to know the game a bit in the NFL.

Trotting Nickerson out there did nothing for anybody but the other team's Offense lol

marv and company did a pretty good job with the linebackers over the years.. (not last year)  considering the lack of investment at that position over his tenure.

nickerson was bad..... made me miss mr bowtie.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 04:58 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I am looking forward to seeing what a new dc and lb coach can do for this unit.  I would say the lb position might be my second biggest disappointment with this team, behind post season success of course.

Based on Marvin’s track record as a defensive guru I thought he’d be cranking out pro bowlers and all pros yearly.  Odell drinking himself out of football hurt.  Missing on mid round picks hurt.  Not investing higher picks in the position hurt.

It's easy to be a defensive guru when your GM drafts Boulware, McCalister, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and signs guys like Siragus, Woodson, McCrary etc.

The real failure in my opinion was the front office drafting a bunch of duds.  Hell, the only real LB that panned out was the one Lewis took a chance on as a UDFA in Burfict.

People probably wanted to draft another LB or 2, but we still have some young guys that have a little experience under their belt that should be better bets than a 5th-7th rounder this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 05:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: marv and company did a pretty good job with the linebackers over the years.. (not last year)  considering the lack of investment at that position over his tenure.

nickerson was bad..... made me miss mr bowtie.

Haslett was terrible the last 3 years, really put a blemish on Marv's LB whispering ways lol

(05-01-2019, 12:39 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It's easy to be a defensive guru when your GM drafts Boulware, McCalister, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and signs guys like Siragus, Woodson, McCrary etc.

The real failure in my opinion was the front office drafting a bunch of duds.  Hell, the only real LB that panned out was the one Lewis took a chance on as a UDFA in Burfict.

People probably wanted to draft another LB or 2, but we still have some young guys that have a little experience under their belt that should be better bets than a 5th-7th rounder this year.

Great points, Marv had the benefit of coaching some great players in Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 02:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Haslett was terrible the last 3 years, really put a blemish on Marv's LB whispering ways lol

Great points, Marv had the benefit of coaching some great players in Baltimore.

was haslett really here 3 years?
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 03:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: was haslett really here 3 years?

Yes he was...
Reply/Quote
Jets did not pick up 5th year option on Darron Lee. Time for the Bengals to contact them and work out a trade for him.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 04:33 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Jets did not pick up 5th year option on Darron Lee. Time for the Bengals to contact them and work out a trade for him.

Do it, do it.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 05:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Do it, do it.

This needs to be done.

Bengals have not invested in quality linebackers.

Burfict was a free agent.

You get what you pay for.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 12:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Should we delete any post that was positive about Devin Bush now that the Steelers have him?

Just change the name of this site to Why-we-hate-devin-bush-and-hope-he-fails-forever-and-ever-and-ever-and-ever.com  Sure..why not? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 03:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: was haslett really here 3 years?

In name only..his head was actually up his rectum in an undisclosed location.. 
Nahhh.. He was the greatest LB coach in the history of LBers and we just had the worst players in that time frame..   Somewhere in the middle I assume..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 04:33 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Jets did not pick up 5th year option on Darron Lee. Time for the Bengals to contact them and work out a trade for him.

Change of scenery will do him well but they might want to see what Gregg Williams can get out of him.
Reply/Quote
If you haven't watched any Germaine Pratt I very much encourage it.

https://youtu.be/O4zG318EXUs

https://youtu.be/pbfbr4UHJcI

https://youtu.be/R-LMXeep35Q

https://youtu.be/AigLyFJIg_Y
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 10:52 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Everybody knows LBer and Oline have been the Bengals achilles heels for the last couple seasons. I guess it's debatable which has been worse but they're 1 and 2 by nearly any measure.

Here's the guys on the roster now:

Brandon Bell
Preston Brown
Deshaun Davis R
Jordan Evans
Malik Jefferson
Hardy Nickerson
Germaine Pratt R
Nick Vigil
Chris Worley

It seems Vincent Rey isn't coming back ?

It's most likely Preston Brown and Nick Vigil are on the team/starters. I'd guess they're not going to cut Jefferson, a 3rd round pick with such a small sample size. Pratt is on the team and probably our starting will.

Who are the other two on the 53 barring any late additions ? I'd guess there's a fair chance Deshaun Davis makes the team he's a thumping run stopper and we've stunk against the run a lot of late.

That leaves Bell, Evans, Nickerson, and Worley fighting for the final spot. Of course one or two may make PS. I can't imagine Nickerson making the team and of the other 3 Evans has shown promise at times.

So I'd say:
Brown
Vigil
Pratt
Jefferson
Davis
Evans

What do you think ? Is this enough ? Can this crew improve a historically bad LBer corps ?

What is interesting to me is that not one of those guys is someone you can consider a top flight LB. Brown is certainly the most accomplished of the bunch.

Vigil, Jefferson and Pratt were all selected by the Bengals in the 3rd round. Preston Brown was selected by the Bills in the 3rd round.

Deshaun Davis and Jordan Evans were 6th round picks.

Chris Worley and Hardy Nickerson were rookie free agents.

The team really doesn't spend much draft capital on the position.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 06:56 PM)Synric Wrote: If you haven't watched any Germaine Pratt I very much encourage it.

https://youtu.be/O4zG318EXUs

https://youtu.be/pbfbr4UHJcI

https://youtu.be/R-LMXeep35Q

https://youtu.be/AigLyFJIg_Y

It's a real shame Germaine Pratt is getting glossed over by Bengals fans. This kid doesnt just have the ability to be a good linebacker but a superstar.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 08:36 PM)Synric Wrote: It's a real shame Germaine Pratt is getting glossed over by Bengals fans. This kid doesnt just have the ability to be a good linebacker but a superstar.

It is, spot on brother on this one. This is the best pick we have made at Linebacker maybe ever. I only liked Devin White better cause of his leadership and the fact Pratt was a Safety before he was a Linebacker but i could argue for Pratt over White with his tackling ability, White wasn't the best tackler in college. Pratt is a very good tackler.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 05:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Do it, do it.

I immediately thought of this when I saw the announcement on NFLN.  Bring in Lee and see what he can do.  It sure as hell can't hurt.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 09:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is, spot on brother on this one. This is the best pick we have made at Linebacker maybe ever. I only liked Devin White better cause of his leadership and the fact Pratt was a Safety before he was a Linebacker but i could argue for Pratt over White with his tackling ability, White wasn't the best tackler in college. Pratt is a very good tackler.

I sure hope Pratt can step in and be a difference maker we sure need it.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 01:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I sure hope Pratt can step in and be a difference maker we sure need it.

Hammer meet nail head!  If he can produce, that combined with Williams will surely be two big holes filled!!!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 01:45 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Hammer meet nail head!  If he can produce, that combined with Williams will surely be two big holes filled!!!

I can think of another needing filling

Reply/Quote