Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bengals 2019 LBers
Zach Brown was signed by the Eagles today for a mere $3M. Get the Jets on the horn already.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 12:55 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The whole Bush/Steelers thing never really bothered me. I think it was a desperate move by a team that's in fairly dire straits.

This..

It was a desperation move. Don't get me wrong I wanted Bush but only if he was there at 11. I don't think hes worth trading up 10 spots for. He's a Devin White "light" with injury concerns, and after watching him look clueless for 4 quarters against Ohio St I wasnt too sold on him.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 01:45 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Hammer meet nail head!  If he can produce, that combined with Williams will surely be two big holes filled!!!

Yup,

Burfict was a shadow of his former self this past season. Add in the fact that the entire defense was dazed and confused by Austin's scheme and it was a recipe for disaster even before the injuries set in. They never really got their legs under them !

I'm hoping Pratt can help developing a identity again, get some MO JO back, get some chemistry going. It seemed many times the secondary including the LBers were lost out there last season.
Reply/Quote
Before last year I would have considered our D to be a strength of the team. Hoping a new approach will cure a lot of our ills.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 03:17 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Before last year I would have considered our D to be a strength of the team. Hoping a new approach will cure a lot of our ills.

Indeed !

I really thought going into last season we would have at least a top 15 D if not top 10. Everybody knew going in our LBers were the weak link. I just didn't imagine they were gonna be as weak as they were.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 03:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Indeed !

I really thought going into last season we would have at least a top 15 D if not top 10. Everybody knew going in our LBers were the weak link. I just didn't imagine they were gonna be as weak as they were.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, once Austin was fired and Marvin had some time to make adjustments, they were pretty much a top 10 type defense.

Without any real offensive continuity and being on the field a lot, they kept the team in games late in the season.  There's WAY too much talent on the team to not be top 15.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 03:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Indeed !

Just goes to show how much a bad coach can screw up an entire team.

Not just one either, hated Haslett the first two years he was here, let alone last years pathetic display.

Thank God these dips were replaced and i like both of Lou's and especially Tem's resumes.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 06:56 PM)Synric Wrote: If you haven't watched any Germaine Pratt I very much encourage it.

https://youtu.be/O4zG318EXUs

https://youtu.be/pbfbr4UHJcI

https://youtu.be/R-LMXeep35Q

https://youtu.be/AigLyFJIg_Y

What I gathered from those videos
1) NC State has a bad defense.
2) Pratt is a solid blitzer.
3) He doesn't give up on plays.
4) He has solid pursuit skills.
5) He can make some plays in coverage.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 04:15 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Well, if it makes you feel any better, once Austin was fired and Marvin had some time to make adjustments, they were pretty much a top 10 type defense.

Without any real offensive continuity and being on the field a lot, they kept the team in games late in the season.  There's WAY too much talent on the team to not be top 15.

After Austin was fired, there was marginal improvement but nowhere even close to top 10. Once Marvin took over the defense, Cincinnati averaged giving up 361 yards (would’ve been good for the 22nd defense) and 23.8 points per game (would’ve been good for 18th). This included a game against the Browns where Baker and company put up 493 yards on Cincinnati in week 16.

They are a clear weakness on the team, there is no way around that unless players make insane jumps in ability/Lou is a defensive god.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 08:36 PM)Synric Wrote: It's a real shame Germaine Pratt is getting glossed over by Bengals fans. This kid doesnt just have the ability to be a good linebacker but a superstar.

Living in the Raleigh area, I'm fully aware of who Pratt is and what he's capable of.  I'm pretty stoked about him being on the team.  When he reaches his full "man weight", he is going to be a force in the middle of the field, weather it be playing the run, covering the pass, or coming on the blitz.  He's as complete a LB as there was in this draft.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Pratt seems to need space and creases to play fast. Needs to be kept clean by D-line but thumps pretty hard if kept clean. This is where Mt. Wren will fit in nicely.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 02:22 PM)Bryan Wrote: What I gathered from those videos
1) NC State has a bad defense.
2) Pratt is a solid blitzer.
3) He doesn't give up on plays.
4) He has solid pursuit skills.
5) He can make some plays in coverage.

My favorite parts are that hes physical and I dont mean as just a tackler but while shedding blocks he uses his pads very well. Hes a controlled stepper so he moves quickly through traffic and never loses sight of the football. He has excellent feel for his zone coverage moving from one guy to another while never taking his eyes off the QB. When he blitzes he uses his vision to quickly recognize the RB is in pass pro and picks perfect gaps to get to the QB.

One of his best traits is hes a wrap up tackler with pop. I dont mean he comes downhill and hits hard but he gets his arms around you and spins you to the ground hard. It's exactly what the NFL wants. I truly believe he will be the steal of the draft and one of the best in the NFL.

Best way to describe Germaine Pratt is "see ball get ball".
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 02:58 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Pratt seems to need space and creases to play fast.  Needs to be kept clean by D-line but thumps pretty hard if kept clean.  This is where Mt. Wren will fit in nicely.

Don't forget that Pratt is still going to put on weight and mass.  I would expect him to be around 250-255# upon full maturity.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 03:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't forget that Pratt is still going to put on weight and mass.  I would expect him to be around 250-255# upon full maturity.  

Do we want him at that Weight though?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 03:30 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Do we want him at that Weight though?

Yes, absolutely.  His combine weight was 239, and that's as a skinny kid, straight outta college, tryin' to be as quick as he can for the stopwatches.  He's got the frame and musculature to handle another 15# without it being a hinderance to his athleticism.  That extra weight is what keeps players able to absorb the shock of all the collisions, give the necessary reserves for recovery and healing, and replenish energy systems after playing hard each week.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 03:02 PM)Synric Wrote: My favorite parts are that hes physical and I dont mean as just a tackler but while shedding blocks he uses his pads very well. Hes a controlled stepper so he moves quickly through traffic and never loses sight of the football. He has excellent feel for his zone coverage moving from one guy to another while never taking his eyes off the QB. When he blitzes he uses his vision to quickly recognize the RB is in pass pro and picks perfect gaps to get to the QB.

One of his best traits is hes a wrap up tackler with pop. I dont mean he comes downhill and hits hard but he gets his arms around you and spins you to the ground hard. It's exactly what the NFL wants. I truly believe he will be the steal of the draft and one of the best in the NFL.

Best way to describe Germaine Pratt is "see ball get ball".

I also love seeing a Linebacker line up on the outside and shut down Receivers, i mean, that is impressive.

Never gives up on plays, Pratt plays with heart man.
Reply/Quote
Well given the Darron Lee situation there just does not seem to be much out there via free agency to supplement the roster. They do not say what Lee tested positive for but I would figure he likes to roll a fat one pretty regularly. However, even more troubling are reports that he was suspended by the team for not attending meetings and or not being on time. Shows a lack of respect if you ask me.

I would say that right now we are rolling with what we got. Given that turn of events I certainly see the starters as...

Base Defense: MLB Preston Brown
                     SLB - Nick Vigil
                     WLB - Germaine Pratt

Nickel Defense: Nick Vigil
                       Germaine Pratt

I look for the LBs filling out the roster to be:

Malik Jefferson
Jordan Evans
Hardy Nickerson
Chris Worley (depending how many we keep)
Carl Lawson (depending on what they call him on the roster even though he will be only a pass rusher)

Even with mostly returning players I look to see a better unit under Lou and Tem.
Reply/Quote
There are 1 or 2 rookie LB's every year drafted in the 3rd Round or lower that end up putting up big numbers. Hopefully it's Pratt! He should get the opportunity to play.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure why everyone forgets about him, but if an average NFL starting caliber LB is what you're after, Jon Bostic is the dude. His coverage, similar to Brown's, isn't THAT bad for all of the flack that he gets. PFF graded him as the 63rd best lb last year, with "good" ratings in both coverage and against the run. He was one of the best tacklers on the Steelers for his time there. If it looks like the LBs might be putrid again this year and that there's no light at the end of the tunnel for one of the young guys, I'd snatch Bostic up in a heartbeat. He'd do fine in the right scheme.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 07:45 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I'm not sure why everyone forgets about him, but if an average NFL starting caliber LB is what you're after, Jon Bostic is the dude. His coverage, similar to Brown's, isn't THAT bad for all of the flack that he gets. PFF graded him as the 63rd best lb last year, with "good" ratings in both coverage and against the run. He was one of the best tacklers on the Steelers for his time there. If it looks like the LBs might be putrid again this year and that there's no end at the light of the tunnel for one of the young guys, I'd snatch Bostic up in a heartbeat. He'd do fine in the right scheme.

Bostic would be a fine stop-gap addition to the LB room.  The problem is, he is essentially about = Nick Vigil, in terms of what he would bring to the team.  I'm thinking that the coaches are likely planning on rolling with Pratt at WILL, Brown at MIKE, and Vigil at SAM.  You might be able to argue that Bostic is better than Vigil, right now.  But, Vigil has done nothing but develop and improve since he got here.  I would expect nothing less than continued development, along the same curve it has been progressing, in the upcoming season.  

So, with that in mind;  Who are you going to bench, in order to get Bostic on the field?  I'm relatively certain that Brown is going to be the MIKE, and it would seem disingenuous to keep Pratt off the field.

Edit: On the other hand, I could see a guy like Bostic being a low cost, first off the bench type of guy that might add quality depth.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote