Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bengals 2019 LBers
(05-07-2019, 01:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I unfortunately think this shows that the players struggle to learn a new system.

But yes, the defense did improve under Marvin. One thing I'll say was the offense was pretty bad by that time of the year though.

Pretty bad is being nice they had one game over 300 yards in the last 5 games. FYI the NFL Average was 350.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 01:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the Bengals can get back to at least a top-half-of-the-league defense while getting back to the offensive level they were showing early on last year, they should return to their winning ways. They didn't really do much to improve the defensive side of the ball aside from adding Pratt though.

If Pratt can show good play as a rookie, Vigil can stay healthy and play (at least) like he did last year, and Preston Brown can stay healthy and play like he did prior to coming to Cincinnati, the Bengals can have a decent LB unit. However, they'll still need a good pass rush to help them, so the Bengals will need Atkins, Dunlap, and Lawson to all stay healthy along with someone to step up and be a good nickel interior pass rusher. This last one is the biggest question mark of all right now.

I really like what Ringo did at the end of last season. He kinda has become a forgotten guy around here at Nickle DT.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 02:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed, although next year's draft should also be strong for WRs and OTs. Bengals could most definitely use another OT and they may need/want another WR based on extensions for Green and Boyd and also Ross's development this season.

(05-07-2019, 02:43 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Given that they tried to trade up in round 2 for another ol doesn’t mean they won’t look at ot next year.  May need another te depending upon on eifert, though I wouldn’t think it would be an early pick.  Aj and Boyd need to be extended or wr is a need too

I find what the Steelers did to be interesting.

Even after losing Le'veon Bell & especially Antonio Brown; they chose to Trade Up for Devin Bush.

They basically chose to target what they think of as a Star key defensive piece versus getting a larger volume of players.

I wonder if the Bengals would consider doing that in 2020 or will they feel that they have to stick with the volume of players approach.

The Bengals D may need some Star power added in 2020 yet other needs seem to always be hanging around.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 03:20 PM)depthchart Wrote: I find what the Steelers did to be interesting.

Even after losing Le'veon Bell & especially Antonio Brown; they chose to Trade Up for Devin Bush.

They basically chose to target what they think of as a Star key defensive piece versus getting a larger volume of players.

I wonder if the Bengals would consider doing that in 2020 or will they feel that they have to stick with the volume of players approach.

The Bengals D may need some Star power added in 2020 yet other needs seem to always be hanging around.

That's a difficult decision honestly. I think it comes down to how confident are you that someone will guarantee to be a star for you and also whether you have many other needs that you can afford to reduce your number of picks to trade up.

I don't have high confidence Glenn becomes a Top 10 OT by the end of this year and Boling hits FA. I don't think it's out of the question that both could be gone to free up a good amount of cap space. Drafting another OT to go opposite of Williams and having Jordan or Westerman starting at LG in 2020 could work out well. This would also help if the Bengals were to take that saved cap space and put it toward proven players to bolster the defense.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 03:20 PM)depthchart Wrote: I find what the Steelers did to be interesting.

Not sure where you get the volume of picks theory. They traded away picks to move up twice in the draft.
Reply/Quote
is https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/07/telvin-smith-aint-nothing-about-telvin-smith-leaving-jacksonville/

telvin smith a possible trade option?
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 05:12 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Not sure where you get the volume of picks theory. They traded away picks to move up twice in the draft.

Their first move was a trade down in the second round, then two trade ups later starting in the 4th round.

Contrast that with the Steelers trading a 2nd round pick in 2019 plus a 3rd round pick in 2020 to trade up/swap firsts with Denver.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 12:18 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The ONLY stat that matters is points allowed.  And they were pretty damn good after Marvin took over.  #11, yeah, like I said before, that's pretty much top 10.

Also keep in mind who they played down the stretch - Chargers, Browns and Steelers were all pretty good offenses.

The Bengals held those teams to 26, 26 and 16 without the benefit of any legitimate offense with Driskel at the helm.  If you don't think the defense played damn good under those conditions, then I don't know what to tell you.

The Bengals were good for #18 after Marvin took over. That is not top 10. Next you’re going to say that Marvin has to have time to make adjustments to try to remove the games that don’t fit your narrative when in reality you have no idea how long it took. You’re just going to latch onto the first game with Marvin as DC and say his adjustments were made then.

I never said the defense played bad. I said they improved after Marvin took over. I also said they were not a top 10 defense, and they weren’t.
Reply/Quote
LB Brandon Bell released

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 05:18 PM)depthchart Wrote: Their first move was a trade down in the second round, then two trade ups later starting in the 4th round.

They still ended up with fewer picks than they started with.  So they obviously are not tied to a "volumn of players" strategy.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 05:12 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Not sure where you get the volume of picks theory. They traded away picks to move up twice in the draft.

(05-12-2019, 04:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They still ended up with fewer picks than they started with.  So they obviously are not tied to a "volumn of players" strategy.

He said they chose to pick one star defensive player instead of hanging on to the picks and getting more volume. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 04:45 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He said they chose to pick one star defensive player instead of hanging on to the picks and getting more volume. 

And we also traded up.  If we reduced the voulmn of our picks you can't say we are tied to a "volumn of picks" strategy.  You can't say we would not have traded up in the first round because we got exactly who we wanted without having to trade.

Since thr Bengals eschew big free agent signings they are more likely to hold on to their draft picks, but that does not mean they will never trade up.  They have done it before.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 04:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And we also traded up.  If we reduced the voulmn of our picks you can't say we are tied to a "volumn of picks" strategy.  You can't say we would not have traded up in the first round because we got exactly who we wanted without having to trade.

Since thr Bengals eschew big free agent signings they are more likely to hold on to their draft picks, but that does not mean they will never trade up.  They have done it before.

Go back and read his post. He said that's what the Steelers did this year and wondered if the Bengals would be willing to do that next year. 

The Bengals traded up in later rounds. Not for a 1st or 2nd round impact player. 

The Bengals have a pretty strong track record of staying put or moving back, but not much of one moving up to target a specific player/need. 

They've done it in the past...but i don't recall Marv doing it much, if at all. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 04:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Go back and read his post. He said that's what the Steelers did this year and wondered if the Bengals would be willing to do that next year. 

You read it.

(05-07-2019, 03:20 PM)depthchart Wrote: I wonder if the Bengals would consider doing that in 2020 or will they feel that they have to stick with the volume of players approach.

The Bengals reduced their volumn of players in the draft.  So they are clearly not tied to a "volumn of players approach"
Reply/Quote

Oh, blank the Stealers.. They traded up to get Bush to try to get the only linebacker left they felt could replace Shazier, and because they did not need to replace anyone on the offensive line. I guarantee you if they needed an OT, they would have gone that route as well....
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 05:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You read it.

The Bengals reduced their volumn of players in the draft.  So they are clearly not tied to a "volumn of players approach"

You're still not looking at the context. 

Steelers moved up in the first. Bengals moved up in later rounds. 

He specifically said they targeted the LB in the 1st round, at the expense of volume and asked if the Bengals would be willing to do that. 

Reply/Quote
The Squealers have an aging HOF QB whose window of opportunity may be about to slam shut AND who just lost two of his best weapons.  OF COURSE they are going to behave in an aggressive manner to try to round out their defense.  It would make sense for a team like the Saints to make similar moves as well.  Who cares what the Steelers do?  The organization that has most consistently traded DOWN for more picks in a "volume" approach?  The New England Patriots.  The Pats don't know what they're doing, right?  The way that the Bengals worked the draft board this year was really smart imo.  They saw a flat talent gradient in round 2, saw a relative glut of talent in round 4, and they moved around accordingly.  These are the kinds of moves that show that they are actively thinking and strategizing in a coherent manner.  The time for them to have traded up and aggressively try to fill holes was 2015, but that's 20/20 hindsight.

In Pratt they managed to land one of the best off-ball LB prospects after the top 2.  Now their options are to look in FA or to develop their young players.
Reply/Quote
They recovered in the draft with the Pratt pick, but for practically you need another vet body. Planning on guys to make the next step without a fallback is a bad plan.

Even if you don't sign a Jamie Collins, they do need to sign a vet that won't get lost out there. I think someone will step up between the kids, but I dont know it. This roster is actually pretty good and doesn't need a glaring weakness.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 05:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You're still not looking at the context. 

Steelers moved up in the first. Bengals moved up in later rounds. 

He specifically said they targeted the LB in the 1st round, at the expense of volume and asked if the Bengals would be willing to do that. 
To ask that question about moving up in next years draft is just crazy nobody knows what spot we will be picking let alone what players will be on the board and our needs.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 12:19 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: To ask that question about moving up in next years draft is just crazy nobody knows what spot we will be picking let alone what players will be on the board and our needs.

That's not the point. The point is, would they do something like that. 

Reply/Quote