• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
Starting OL
Williams LT. LG Boling
C Price
Miller RG RT Glenn

Backups Hopkins OG/C Jordan OG Hart RT
OG Westermen

I think the question is who is a better RT in this case Hart or Glenn?
and its never brought up but even Bolings level of play has slipped a bit. I think this might be his last year as a starter.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:44 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Starting OL
Williams LT.  LG Boling
C Price
Miller RG  RT Glenn

Backups  Hopkins OG/C   Jordan OG  Hart RT
OG Westermen

and its never brought up but even Bolings level of play has slipped a bit. I think this might be his last year as a starter.

There is no question who would be a better RT between Glenn or Hart. It is actually amusing that you even pose that as being question. Not that it matters because Glenn will be the starting LT and Williams will be the starting RT with Hart first RT off the bench. If Glenn were injured then Jonah would slide to LT with Hart at RT.

Yes Jonah will eventually be the starting LT but not next season.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:44 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Starting OL
Williams LT.  LG Boling
C Price
Miller RG  RT Glenn

Backups  Hopkins OG/C   Jordan OG  Hart RT
OG Westermen

its the last year on his contract as well

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:42 AM)Okeana Wrote: he was pretty terrible at center

What kind of terrible are we talking here?  Are you thinking Russell Bodine terrible, or Eric Ghiaciuc kind of terrible?

These things are important, you know.  Btw, Jordan was named 1st team All-American at Center.  They always award that to a guy that was a terrible Center, right?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:05 AM)Beaker Wrote: Starters:

Glenn, Boling, Price, Miller, Williams

Backups:

Williams, Westerman, Hopkins, Jordan, Hart

Swingman for the 10th O line spot :

Taylor

I agree all except I think we go with 10 and OT Perkins is 10th OL
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:42 AM)Okeana Wrote: he was pretty terrible at center

I did not focus on Jordan and did not see all OSU games as not a fan. But, the games I saw it appeared Haskins had all day to throw the football so was he that bad in pass protection???

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Starters
LT- Glenn
LG- Boiling
C- Price
RG- Westerman
RT-Williams
Backups Hart, Miller, Hopkins,Jordan
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 10:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Who's your starting 5, who are your backups, who get's shown the door?

Bengals currently have 13 OL on the roster.

Tackles:
Cordy Glenn
Jonah Williams
Bobby Hart
Kent Perkins

Guards:
Clint Boling
Christian Westerman
Michael Jordan
Alex Redmond
John Miller
Rod Taylor

Centers:
Billy Price
Trey Hopkins
Brad Lundblade

My Starting 5:

Cordy Glenn     Clint Boling     Billy Price     John Miller     Jonah Williams

That is how I think they will begin the season.  Obviously, they'll want to get Williams onto the field, in order to get the best 5 out there.  I really can't make any solid predictions on backups/cuts, until I see/read reports from OTAs/training camp/preseason.  There's a long way to go before the final depth chart is released, but that's who I predict will be the starting 5 on opening day.

Agreed with your starting 5. 

My backups: Hopkins, Hart, Jordan, Westerman, Redmond
Practice Squad: Perkins (although I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan is on the PS as well if they go 9)
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:44 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I think the question is who is a better RT in this case Hart or Glenn?

I hadn't really noticed much decline in Boling's actual play (PFF #'s really don't tell the whole story), but I certainly have noticed that he's been rather dinged up, toward the end of the past two seasons.  

This might be a bit of early projecting, but Michael Jordan could be viewed as the heir apparent to Clint Boling.  Prior to earning 1st team All-America this year at Center, Jordan played his first two seasons at LG for the Buckeyes, including his true freshman season in 2016.  Jordan was the first true freshman to earn a starting spot on the Ohio St. OL since Orlando Pace.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What kind of terrible are we talking here?  Are you thinking Russell Bodine terrible, or Eric Ghiaciuc kind of terrible?

These things are important, you know.  Btw, Jordan was named 1st team All-American at Center.  They always award that to a guy that was a terrible Center, right?

Lol....we are talking OSU terrible which is actually pretty darn good by most standards. I think it is VERY clear when looking at film that Jordan was not a Price or Elflein at the position. Again not a big knock on Jordan just that he had huge shoes to fill in that respect and I think he could be an outstanding NFL guard in the mold of an Alex Boone as well I think he has the talent, measurables, and skillset to develop into a pretty darn good NFL RT.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:05 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I did not focus on Jordan and did not see all OSU games as not a fan. But, the games I saw it appeared Haskins had all day to throw the football so was he that bad in pass protection???

His weaknesses were not in run blocking or pass  blocking rather pre snap was a glaring problem. He was many times not timed up with the rest of the O line and late getting the ball snapped. He was jerky with the football causing many motion penalties. Again....as I have already explained. Jordan may have been considered a much better center for other programs however he was following two Rimington Award winners at OSU.

I also think Jordan can be an outstanding lineman at the NFL level I just do not think center is his gig. LT and C take a special breed of player at the NFL level.

I like Jordan just not at center and he must regain the form he showed previously as a guard.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This might be a bit of early projecting, but Michael Jordan could be viewed as the heir apparent to Clint Boling.  Prior to earning 1st team All-America this year at Center, Jordan played his first two seasons at LG for the Buckeyes, including his true freshman season in 2016.  Jordan was the first true freshman to earn a starting spot on the Ohio St. OL since Orlando Pace.

Agree with this.  Jordan is a LG prospect behind Boling.  He could possibly end up at tackle, but for now that is where he starts out.  
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:17 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Lol....we are talking OSU terrible which is actually pretty darn good by most standards. I think it is VERY clear when looking at film that Jordan was not a Price or Elflein at the position. Again not a big knock on Jordan just that he had huge shoes to fill in that respect and I think he could be an outstanding NFL guard in the mold of an Alex Boone as well I think he has the talent, measurables, and skillset to develop into a pretty darn good NFL RT.

At 6'6", that crossed my mind as well.  However, the scouting breakdown I read on him kind of knocked his footwork as having a long, sweeping first step, that allowed him to get over extended from his center of gravity.  They also dinged his hand placement as lazy, and said he relies too much on his skills as a drive blocker.  

Obviously, those are the sort of things that you expect NFL coaching to cure, so it sounds to me like he's Guard material, at least for the first couple years.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:22 PM)OSUfan Wrote: His weaknesses were not in run blocking or pass  blocking rather pre snap was a glaring problem. He was many times not timed up with the rest of the O line and late getting the ball snapped. He was jerky with the football causing many motion penalties. Again....as I have already explained. Jordan may have been considered a much better center for other programs however he was following two Rimington Award winners at OSU.

I also think Jordan can be an outstanding lineman at the NFL level I just do not think center is his gig. LT and C take a special breed of player at the NFL level.

I like Jordan just not at center and he must regain the form he showed previously as a guard.

I loved him and then CBS gave us instant D grade on him (think was CBS), then when I saw your commentary in threads kind of confirmed CBS. But then I went back and looked and CBS had him ranked in top 70, so why they gave him a D was weird.

After reading his is 21, this guy can still grow into a RT, LT or stay at guard. He seems to have tremendous upside and one massive due already. Is this our next Whittworth or is it Williams or both? I am excited for our OL in the future with this draft.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:52 AM)OSUfan Wrote: There is no question who would be a better RT between Glenn or Hart. It is actually amusing that you even pose that as being question. Not that it matters because Glenn will be the starting LT and Williams will be the starting RT with Hart first RT off the bench. If Glenn were injured then Jonah would slide to LT with Hart at RT.

Yes Jonah will eventually be the starting LT but not next season.

Yeah.  Glenn has been a LT and played G in college.  Don't know that he's ever even played RT.  Future LT playing RT as a rookie is a widely used practice across the league and a good one.   Something special about Jonah Williams  (Initial vibe, to me).  He has a Whit-ness about him.

On a side note, where we were once the Johnsons, now we are the Williams-es.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: At 6'6", that crossed my mind as well.  However, the scouting breakdown I read on him kind of knocked his footwork as having a long, sweeping first step, that allowed him to get over extended from his center of gravity.  They also dinged his hand placement as lazy, and said he relies too much on his skills as a drive blocker.  

Obviously, those are the sort of things that you expect NFL coaching to cure, so it sounds to me like he's Guard material, at least for the first couple years.

What was the knock on Whittworth when he was drafted? Curious because started at guard too.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 10:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My Starting 5:

Cordy Glenn     Clint Boling     Billy Price     John Miller     Jonah Williams

That's quite a limb you're going out on there.  Ninja

I'll spice this up by saying our starting 5 will look like this:

Jonah Williams - Clint Boling - Billy Price - Michael Jordan - Bobby Hart

Cordy Glenn will be a June cut and Jordan will beat out Miller in preseason.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's quite a limb you're going out on there.  Ninja

Well, the plan was just to throw what made the most sense to me, right now, out there and get a little conversation going.   Cool 

I guess it worked, as I seem to have reeled you into the discussion.   LOL

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's quite a limb you're going out on there.  Ninja

You made me looked closely, I thought you just went to a different and bigger font.  Tongue

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:15 AM)OSUfan Wrote: If they are truly open to all possibilities and having the best 5 on the field then they may have to consider looking at Price to RG and Hopkins at C and that is coming from a huge Buckeyes fan. Not saying Price is a slouch at C just saying Hopkins looked mighty good there and Price as well is an outstanding G.

No. Price has the potential to be a really good starting center. As a G, he's just a guy.
Reply/Quote