Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
(05-31-2019, 10:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why is it impossible for Price to be better than "average"?

Basically you are saying two scrubs like Miller and Hart can be "above average" but not a first round pick like Price.

It appears many people cannot grasp that fact that Price had no off season to life, no OTA's, no Training Camp, and then was injured in the 1st game, missed half the season and played the 2nd half hobbled. It's like, after all that this rookie center did not come in and dominate the NFL world, so he's a scrub that can be an ok player one day.....maybe. It's really mind blowing.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 10:44 AM)ochocincos Wrote: This is why FA happens before the draft. Sometimes you pick someone up as insurance in case you can't get the guy you'd want in the draft. Luckily for the Bengals, they were able to snag Jonah Williams. Now that they have Williams, they should be willing to just eat the one-year cap hit of Hart and bench him if Glenn/Williams/Boling is actually better at RT.

Personally, if the team was set on putting Williams at LT right away like they seem to be, I'm putting Westerman or Jordan at LG in the offseason and Glenn at RT, at least until Boling is back. Once Boling is back, I'd look to put Boling at both LG and RT with Glenn in the other and see how the line performs.

...but they're not going to. Hobson just said that Hart is the starting RT just as much as AJ Green is a starting WR and Zac Taylor is the coach.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
our starting 5 should be
Williams LT
Boling LG
Price C
Jordan RG
Glenn RT

its that damn simple but it wont happen. because they are the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 11:59 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: our starting 5 should be
Williams LT
Boling LG
Price C
Jordan RG
Glenn RT

its that damn simple but it wont happen.  because they are the Bengals.

I think Jordan could be the steal of this draft, but I am not ready to anoint him as an instant starter.

But I can't imagine Hart forcing Glenn or Boling to the bench.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 10:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It appears many people cannot grasp that fact that Price had no off season to life, no OTA's, no Training Camp, and then was injured in the 1st game, missed half the season and played the 2nd half hobbled. It's like, after all that this rookie center did not come in and dominate the NFL world, so he's a scrub that can be an ok player one day.....maybe. It's really mind blowing.

It's way too early to write Price off, but people also need to remember that he is still well behind where he should be at this stage due to those injuries.  Instead of 2 off-season weight programs, he'll have had one, etc.  I expect him to get better this year, but I don't think he's suddenly going to become a top tier C.  My personal feeling is he'll progress to being an average starter this year, then continue his development in year 3.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 11:50 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...but they're not going to. Hobson just said that Hart is the starting RT just as much as AJ Green is a starting WR and Zac Taylor is the coach.

I wonder who the backup is to Hart. Curious if it will be Boling given they want Williams at LT and Glenn hasn't played on the right side. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 12:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I wonder who the backup is to Hart. Curious if it will be Boling given they want Williams at LT and Glenn hasn't played on the right side. 

Maybe Rod Jones, or one of the UDFAs on the roster?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 10:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It appears many people cannot grasp that fact that Price had no off season to life, no OTA's, no Training Camp, and then was injured in the 1st game, missed half the season and played the 2nd half hobbled. It's like, after all that this rookie center did not come in and dominate the NFL world, so he's a scrub that can be an ok player one day.....maybe. It's really mind blowing.

Yes, baffles my mind too, hope Price can stay healthy.

Think he should be much better then average once he can.

(05-31-2019, 11:59 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: our starting 5 should be
Williams LT
Boling LG
Price C
Jordan RG
Glenn RT

its that damn simple but it wont happen. because they are the Bengals.

1) It is not that damn simple.
2) Boling is hurt right now and Glenn is playing good at LG from everything we are hearing.
3) Jordan is a rookie, Miller is a veteran and has shown he can play RG in the NFL.
4) Glenn has never played on the right side of the Line, let alone RT.

Glenn's body type sure seems like he could play RT but it has never been mentioned anywhere but here about him playing RT...

(05-31-2019, 12:27 PM)Whatever Wrote: It's way too early to write Price off, but people also need to remember that he is still well behind where he should be at this stage due to those injuries.  Instead of 2 off-season weight programs, he'll have had one, etc.  I expect him to get better this year, but I don't think he's suddenly going to become a top tier C.  My personal feeling is he'll progress to being an average starter this year, then continue his development in year 3.

Could be correct, i think on down the line if Price can stay healthy he will be a stud Center.

(05-31-2019, 12:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I wonder who the backup is to Hart. Curious if it will be Boling given they want Williams at LT and Glenn hasn't played on the right side. 

I would guees Rod Taylor or Kent Perkins.

(05-31-2019, 01:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe Rod Jones, or one of the UDFAs on the roster?

Rod Taylor you mean Sunset?

Also i forget who the UDFA Tackle was we got this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 01:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would guees Rod Taylor or Kent Perkins.

Rod Taylor you mean Sunset?

Also i forget who the UDFA Tackle was we got this year.

Yes, Rod Taylor.  The UDFA would be Keaton Sutherland, of Tx A&M.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 03:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, Rod Taylor.  The UDFA would be Keaton Sutherland, of Tx A&M.

Thought so and yeah, i remember Sutherland but i thought he was a Guard...

Sutherland played pretty well in the Bowl game against NC State, he might be a sleeper.

Turner knows him very well as does Traveon.
Reply/Quote

Good question. I honestly have no idea. Maybe we sign someone during August cuts? It won't be Glenn. $9 million is too much for a backup and we're trying him at Guard. Boling's $5 million also seems steep for a backup tackle. I agree with others that it could be one of our UFA's like Sutherland.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Interesting PFF did a video of most improved O lines post draft and we were on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDVE37mYfQA&t=88s
Reply/Quote
In the video he talked about how he disagrees with moving Glenn to Guard. He'd go Glenn and Williams at Tackle he said.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 04:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In the video he talked about how he disagrees with moving Glenn to Guard. He'd go Glenn and Williams at Tackle he said.

I'm guessing the coaches in watching him just don't think he can cut it at tackle anymore. 
Reply/Quote
One thing interesting to note, Glenn was 71.3 pass blocking and 46.5 run blocking to Hart's 62.9 and 54.2. That works out to Glenn being 8.4 points better pass blocking and 7.7 points worse in run blocking. Glenn is actually worse at run blocking than Hart is at pass blocking on a team where we value the run more than anything it sounds like. I don't think it's odd the coaches would prefer to put Hart outside when you look at it that way.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 04:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In the video he talked about how he disagrees with moving Glenn to Guard. He'd go Glenn and Williams at Tackle he said.

Yeah, that's why he works for PFF and is not coaching an NFL team..... Wink
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 04:54 PM)Au165 Wrote:  I'm guessing the coaches in watching him just don't think he can cut it at tackle anymore. 

They could be correct, Glenn wasn't exactly stellar last year at LT...

(05-31-2019, 04:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: One thing interesting to note, Glenn was 71.3 pass blocking and 46.5 run blocking to Hart's 62.9 and 54.2. That works out to Glenn being 8.4 points better pass blocking and 7.7 points worse in run blocking. Glenn is actually worse at run blocking than Hart is at pass blocking on a team where we value the run more than anything it sounds like. I don't think it's odd the coaches would prefer to put Hart outside when you look at it that way.

Very true, thanks for those numbers. Makes me feel better too about Hart starting at RT over a guy who never played there.

(05-31-2019, 06:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, that's why he works for PFF and is not coaching an NFL team..... Wink

True also have to take into account Boling is injured which he didn't do and just penciled in Boling at LG. We also have an advantage as we are hearing that Glenn and Miller are playing well now at both Guard positions so this could be the right route we are taking.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 04:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: One thing interesting to note, Glenn was 71.3 pass blocking and 46.5 run blocking to Hart's 62.9 and 54.2. That works out to Glenn being 8.4 points better pass blocking and 7.7 points worse in run blocking. Glenn is actually worse at run blocking than Hart is at pass blocking on a team where we value the run more than anything it sounds like. I don't think it's odd the coaches would prefer to put Hart outside when you look at it that way.

That's good analysis. To me, it just looked like Glenn had no interest in run blocking and being physical. He's a 340 lb finesse guy.

I guess it also shows that while Hart is bad, Glenn isn't much better. And Hart is getting slightly better while Glenn is declining.

Let's face it: Glenn has been injured for the past 3 years and Buffalo dumped him on us.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 06:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They could be correct, Glenn wasn't exactly stellar last year at LT...

Very true, thanks for those numbers. Makes me feel better too about Hart starting at RT over a guy who never played there.

True also have to take into account Boling is injured which he didn't do and just penciled in Boling at LG. We also have an advantage as we are hearing that Glenn and Miller are playing well now at both Guard positions so this could be the right route we are taking.

Like Shake has been saying, don't be surprised if Glenn or Boling are cut. IF Glenn doesn't step in at Guard and play well, they'll go with Boling.

People think Glenn is power because of his size, but he's mainly a finesse guy.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 08:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Like Shake has been saying, don't be surprised if Glenn or Boling are cut. IF Glenn doesn't step in at Guard and play well, they'll go with Boling.

People think Glenn is power because of his size, but he's mainly a finesse guy.

The thought of it shocks me. I dont see the talent or depth on our roster that would let us cut a proven NFL OL. Especially one capable of playing T and with actual NFL experience playing T.

T Jonah Hart
G Glenn Miller Boling MJ
C Price Hopkins

Thats only 8. We could go up to 10 but we need to really love Redmond Westerman and/or Taylor. Maybe Taylor or MJ provide some tackle depth but Taylor has been hurt and is basically a rookie and MJ is a rookie. And the starter is a rookie. No way should we do that
Reply/Quote