Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
(06-02-2019, 04:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We could've been more active in free agency, but as our line stands, Hart is probably the best option at RT. From what I've heard, Boling won't even be available to practice during TC, so who else could compete? 

Looking at what else is currently on the roster, it appears to be Kent Perkins, Rod Taylor, and Keaton Sutherland.  (yeah, not a very inspiring group of competitors..)

*The caveat being that once the pads go on, they like the aggressiveness and physical stature of Michael Jordan, perhaps he could be a backup to multiple spots.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 04:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We all love to pick on Hobson for his homerism, but he's usually pretty spot on with predictions. He's just a mouthpiece for the team. Besides, the coaches love Hart and that's probably why Hobs views him as a lock. 

My opinion of Hart is that he's probably a weak link for the line. That said, his strength is run blocking and that's what Taylor wants to emphasize. His penalties were an anomaly last season. I think they'll come back down. Did we overpay him? Yes. Can he be decent? Maybe. Would it be better to throw Boling there with no practice? I doubt it. 

We could've been more active in free agency, but as our line stands, Hart is probably the best option at RT. From what I've heard, Boling won't even be available to practice during TC, so who else could compete? 

That's my point too...WHO else is the competition for RT? Moving Glenn to Guard pretty much makes Hart the RT. Or else it would have been Glenn, Williams, and Hart competing for 2 spots.

re: The point that the coaches must see stuff in Hart: They're either geniuses or inept in that regard. It's hard to tell which...but there's a 3 year track record for Hart of poor play atleast pass blocking and his run blocking isn't great.

Maybe, we just had more weaknesses than we could fill in one offseason?
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 05:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Maybe, we just had more weaknesses than we could fill in one offseason?

I would say bingo. 

Didnt our last OL coach choose to leave? That could have had something to do with personnel. Hell we overpaid two free agent OL to make sure we at least have average NFL talent on the right side. Picked the first OL in the draft. And traded up for another. And we are still weak at that spot.

LB most feel could use more help. We drafted two and signed a free agent.

And it was recently brought to my attention. Something i am not very happy about. Our lack of bodies at DE. Dunlap Hubbard Lawson Willis and Wynn. And for some reason Ringo listed there but he is not a DE. Paper thin considering we have to get through TC and 4 preseason games. 
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 04:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good question. I honestly have no idea. Maybe we sign someone during August cuts? It won't be Glenn. $9 million is too much for a backup and we're trying him at Guard. Boling's $5 million also seems steep for a backup tackle. I agree with others that it could be one of our UFA's like Sutherland.

With such uncertainty on the line this year in terms of quality play from the starters, it would very much worry me if the backup RT was a UDFA like Perkins, Sutherland, or Taylor. Perhaps the team does try to pick up a veteran who becomes a camp casualty on cut day.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 06:30 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I would say bingo. 

Didnt our last OL coach choose to leave? That could have had something to do with personnel. Hell we overpaid two free agent OL to make sure we at least have average NFL talent on the right side. Picked the first OL in the draft. And traded up for another. And we are still weak at that spot.

LB most feel could use more help. We drafted two and signed a free agent.

And it was recently brought to my attention. Something i am not very happy about. Our lack of bodies at DE. Dunlap Hubbard Lawson Willis and Wynn. And for some reason Ringo listed there but he is not a DE. Paper thin considering we have to get through TC and 4 preseason games. 

I was very surprised to not see a DE drafted. I thought a DE would have been drafted on Day 3.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 09:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: With such uncertainty on the line this year in terms of quality play from the starters, it would very much worry me if the backup RT was a UDFA like Perkins, Sutherland, or Taylor. Perhaps the team does try to pick up a veteran who becomes a camp casualty on cut day.

Rod Taylor was not an UDFA. He was one of our 7th round selections last season.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 04:44 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Rod Taylor was not an UDFA. He was one of our 7th round selections last season.

Sorry, yes. 7th rounder. Still a very late round pick. Bengals haven't had much success with late rounders for OL. I'm not confident any of Taylor, Perkins, or Sutherland will amount to anything though.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 04:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Looking at what else is currently on the roster, it appears to be Kent Perkins, Rod Taylor, and Keaton Sutherland.  (yeah, not a very inspiring group of competitors..)

*The caveat being that once the pads go on, they like the aggressiveness and physical stature of Michael Jordan, perhaps he could be a backup to multiple spots.

Jordan's going to be a fun name to watch. He could wind up anywhere and I have high hopes for him to eventually start.

(06-03-2019, 09:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: With such uncertainty on the line this year in terms of quality play from the starters, it would very much worry me if the backup RT was a UDFA like Perkins, Sutherland, or Taylor. Perhaps the team does try to pick up a veteran who becomes a camp casualty on cut day.

I'd almost be surprised if we didn't pick up another tackle somehow.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 04:44 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Rod Taylor was not an UDFA. He was one of our 7th round selections last season.

Tomato, to-mah-toe. 7th rounders are like glorified UFA's.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 05:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's my point too...WHO else is the competition for RT? Moving Glenn to Guard pretty much makes Hart the RT. Or else it would have been Glenn, Williams, and Hart competing for 2 spots.

re: The point that the coaches must see stuff in Hart: They're either geniuses or inept in that regard. It's hard to tell which...but there's a 3 year track record for Hart of poor play atleast pass blocking and his run blocking isn't great.

Maybe, we just had more weaknesses than we could fill in one offseason?

Well I'd buy the "more needs than we could fill" thing more if we weren't so passive in free agency.

Instead we chose to go into the season $20 million under the cap.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 10:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well I'd buy the "more needs than we could fill" thing more if we weren't so passive in free agency.

Instead we chose to go into the season $20 million under the cap.

Injury cushion and draft picks!  Hilarious

Honestly, the way they were spending...I'm glad they didn't spend it.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 11:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Injury cushion and draft picks!  Hilarious

Honestly, the way they were spending...I'm glad they didn't spend it.

I never thought of it that way. Good point!  LMAO
Reply/Quote
No sign of Corey Glenn today. What’s the reason?
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 02:46 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: No sign of Corey Glenn today. What’s the reason?

Why would Cordy Glenn's twin brother Corey be there today?
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 04:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why would Cordy Glenn's twin brother Corey be there today?

Weren't there two Coreys ?

Feldman & Haim ?

Now a 3rd in Glenn's (twin brother).  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 04:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why would Cordy Glenn's twin brother Corey be there today?

Cordy* damn iPhone
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
Bobby Hart is locked at RT???

"New offensive line coach Jim Turner and others on staff have been adamant since extending Hart on a three-year deal that he’s better than advertised." -Chris Roling

"Bobby Hart is the right tackle as sure as Mike Brown is the owner, Zac Taylor is the head coach and Adriel Jeremiah Green is their best player." -Geoff Hobson

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/01/bengals-locked-bobby-hart-right-tackle/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=recirc-most-popular
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 10:16 AM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Bobby Hart is locked at RT???

"New offensive line coach Jim Turner and others on staff have been adamant since extending Hart on a three-year deal that he’s better than advertised." -Chris Roling

"Bobby Hart is the right tackle as sure as Mike Brown is the owner, Zac Taylor is the head coach and Adriel Jeremiah Green is their best player." -Geoff Hobson

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/01/bengals-locked-bobby-hart-right-tackle/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=recirc-most-popular

This is like, week old news.

Where have you been? Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I went back the past few pages and didn't see it specifically mentioned
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 10:19 AM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: I went back the past few pages and didn't see it specifically mentioned

This is a rather lengthy thread, but yes that article has been quoted numerous times in this thread.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote