Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2022 O should be among best
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/advanced-metrics-say-bengals-offense-expected-to-be-among-nfl-s-best/ar-AAXBe7C?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=fd1eedf59c644f108cfabeee4193e3cd

With our new and hopefully much improved Oline we should be.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 10:05 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/advanced-metrics-say-bengals-offense-expected-to-be-among-nfl-s-best/ar-AAXBe7C?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=fd1eedf59c644f108cfabeee4193e3cd

Play calling and all of it should improve in theory too. I didn't like the Rams claiming they knew what was coming in the Super Bowl.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 10:08 PM)jason Wrote: Play calling and all of it should improve in theory too. I didn't like the Rams claiming they knew what was coming in the Super Bowl.

Whether they knew what was coming or not, if Spain could've held his block another 1-2 seconds, Chase had superstar Ramsey beat for the winning TD. A fitting way for the OL to finish the season though, taking a crap in one of the biggest Bengal moments ever. But that's why we brought in Collins, Cappa and Karras. When the dust settled in the SB, I still thought we were the better team. I would love a SB rematch with them. We will beat them by 20 even if they have the playbook this year. 
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 10:05 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/advanced-metrics-say-bengals-offense-expected-to-be-among-nfl-s-best/ar-AAXBe7C?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=fd1eedf59c644f108cfabeee4193e3cd

Totally agree. With a revamped O and another year in the system for the young guys, they are going to be dangerous this season imo. Should be
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 10:25 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Totally agree. With a revamped O and another year in the system for the young guys, they are going to be dangerous this season imo. Should be

Yes

I feel we could set many Bengals records this season. Perhaps even NFL records. I can't wait !
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 10:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes

I feel we could set many Bengals records this season. Perhaps even NFL records. I can't wait !

What the revamped OL will do that’s rarely discussed is help our rhythm. We’ve had to run the ball to keep defenses honest with little hope of success. We will have much more manageable 2nd and 3rd downs.
Reply/Quote
Got camp, preseason and 17 games to build that chemistry. Man that run blocking on the right side will go from one of the worst to best.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 10:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes

Just give me a Super Bowl victory. That's all I ask for from this world. 

Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 10:58 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: What the revamped OL will do that’s rarely discussed is help our rhythm. We’ve had to run the ball to keep defenses honest with little hope of success. We will have much more manageable 2nd and 3rd downs.

This is the potential improvement I am most excited about.  As you mention, the run game.  I think Joe has the savvy and mobility to deal with a lot of pass rush, and his explanation about 3rd and long, unless it was in FG range, on the excellent Belk Boys Podcast kind of took some of the blame for the gaudy sack numbers. 

The run game could possibly help in so many ways:  more manageable 2nd and 3rd down and distances.  It will open up play action, where Burrow is lethal.  It will also help eat clock and salt away leads instead of forcing Burrow to throw against all-out rushes.  

The only thing I would like to see is more Evans and less Perine.  I think he is much more explosive.  
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 10:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is the potential improvement I am most excited about.  As you mention, the run game.  I think Joe has the savvy and mobility to deal with a lot of pass rush, and his explanation about 3rd and long, unless it was in FG range, on the excellent Belk Boys Podcast kind of took some of the blame for the gaudy sack numbers. 

The run game could possibly help in so many ways:  more manageable 2nd and 3rd down and distances.  It will open up play action, where Burrow is lethal.  It will also help eat clock and salt away leads instead of forcing Burrow to throw against all-out rushes.  

The only thing I would like to see is more Evans and less Perine.  I think he is much more explosive.  

I don’t think Evans will replace Perine. He’s not strong in short yardage and not as good in the blitz. Perine is good there. However I’d like to see Evans take some of Mixon’s snaps and Mixon play in the third down short yardage and third and long and he take all of Perine’s. So in effect Mixon’s touches aren’t altered in total.Evans can’t handle what Perine does but Joe can. So Evans plays more series and if it becomes short yardage or third and long Mixon comes back in.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 11:23 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I don’t think Evans will replace Perine. He’s not strong in short yardage and not as good in the blitz. Perine is good there. However I’d like to see Evans take some of Mixon’s snaps and Mixon play in the third down short yardage and third and long and he take all of Perine’s. So in effect Mixon’s touches aren’t altered in total.Evans can’t handle what Perine does but Joe can. So Evans plays more series and if it becomes short yardage or third and long Mixon comes back in.

Perine really isn't that great in short yardage either.

Last year, here were Perine's splits based on down and yards-to-go:
1-3 yards: 8 attempts for 9 yards. 4 first downs. So just 50%

3rd down: 11 attempts for 14 yards. 2 first downs.
4th down: 1 attempt for 0 yards.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PeriSa00/splits/2021/
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 10:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is the potential improvement I am most excited about.  As you mention, the run game.  I think Joe has the savvy and mobility to deal with a lot of pass rush, and his explanation about 3rd and long, unless it was in FG range, on the excellent Belk Boys Podcast kind of took some of the blame for the gaudy sack numbers. 

That's what I wanna see, more effective play action. Of course you have to be able to run the ball with some authority for play action to reach it's peak. And I'm hoping this new line is gonna be a game changer in that area.

And it should help us immensely in the Red Zone.

I too and kinda anxious to see how Evans is gonna pan out ?
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 11:23 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I don’t think Evans will replace Perine. He’s not strong in short yardage and not as good in the blitz. Perine is good there. However I’d like to see Evans take some of Mixon’s snaps and Mixon play in the third down short yardage and third and long and he take all of Perine’s. So in effect Mixon’s touches aren’t altered in total.Evans can’t handle what Perine does but Joe can. So Evans plays more series and if it becomes short yardage or third and long Mixon comes back in.

I'd like to see them limit Mixon's snaps a bit early in the season so he's still got juice in the tank for down the stretch and hopefully playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Just don't measure improvement in running game based on total yards gained.  We could rush for fewer yards than last season, but if we can consistently run the ball in short yardage situations it will be a game changer.

Short yardage situations absolutely killed us last year.

With Burrow and all the receivers we have I don't care if we don't rush for a lot of yards.  But we have to be able to run the ball in short yardage situations.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 12:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Perine really isn't that great in short yardage either.

I've never been all that high on Perine. I mean I guess he's a decent #3 back ?  But I'm kinda wanting to see if Evans can develop ?
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just don't measure improvement in running game based on total yards gained.  We could rush for fewer yards than last season, but if we can consistently run the ball in short yardage situations it will be a game changer.

Short yardage situations absolutely killed us last year.

With Burrow and all the receivers we have I don't care if we don't rush for a lot of yards.  But we have to be able to run the ball in short yardage situations.

Yep

Running the ball when everyone including your grandmother knows a run is coming. That's what matters most.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 12:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Perine really isn't that great in short yardage either.

They think he is the best. He wouldn’t be their designated third down short yardage back if they didn’t. Mixon’s not patient and gets away from the play to often and Perine the better blocker. I’ve asked about Evans and he’s not a strong inside runner or blocker. Again Evans isn’t taking Perine’s snaps IMO based on what I’ve been told. But as I’ve said taking some of Mixon’s snaps and Mixon’s taking those of Perine’s is more likely. Again not reducing Mixon’s total touches overall.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 01:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

Running the ball when everyone including your grandmother knows a run is coming. That's what matters most.

Yep. Breaking big plays is not what makes a great running back/great running team. Getting 2 yards (or 1) when you need it is. 

Our line is/was terrible and none of our 4 backs is particularly good in short yardage. 

We have upgraded from terrible to decent. But LG is still an issue. Kartas is better at G (IMHO) and Cappa is solid but unspectacular. And we have zip depth. 
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 01:24 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They think he is the best. He wouldn’t be their designated third down short yardage back if they didn’t. Mixon’s not patient and gets away from the play to often and Perine the better blocker. I’ve asked about Evans and he’s not a strong inside runner or blocker. Again Evans isn’t taking Perine’s snaps IMO based on what I’ve been told. But as I’ve said taking some of Mixon’s snaps and Mixon’s taking those of Perine’s is more likely. Again not reducing Mixon’s total touches overall.

Perine may be better than what they currently have in that role, but I would almost guarantee there are better options for that role still out there in FA over Perine.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/running-back/available/
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Full article on top 11 teams   https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-top-11-offenses-in-2022-bills-chargers-and-bengals-produce-highest-win-sha

Bengal portion

In this file one year ago, the Bengals just missed the cut, as my No. 11 offense with top-seven upside. My models were quite bearish on their O-line, especially with Joe Burrow coming off the kind of major knee surgery that typically causes quarterbacks to play more conservatively, at least in the early goings. Well, Burrow crushed my model last season, and the Bengals addressed the O-line this offseason.

In 2021, Burrow's completion percentage over expected was +6.0 -- the highest in the NFL, per NGS. He also led the league in completion percentage (64.3) and yards per attempt (9.7) when under pressure. Clearly, he wasn't playing skittish. When he had a time to throw of 2.5-plus seconds, Burrow posted an NFL-best 111.6 passer rating. Computer Vision shows Burrow was the most efficient on off-platform throws (when his legs weren't set before releasing the ball) with a 100.1 passer rating.

Meanwhile, Joe Mixon piled up the second-most yards after contact (1,054, per NGS). Offensive Rookie of the Year Ja'Marr Chase led the league in deep touchdown receptions (seven of 20-plus air yards), and second-year stud Tee Higgins boasted an NFL-best +9.8 catch rate over expected. While losing tight end C.J. Uzomah in free agency hurts, the increased O-line potential (SEE: free-agent additions La'el Collins, Alex Cappa and Ted Karras) will create more opportunities for Mixon to reach full speed before being contacted and should allow the deep passing game to be even more potent in 2022.
Reply/Quote