Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals' 2022 Schedule and Record
I read where some of you were talking about the Bengals' '22 schedule and how it is the third toughest schedule in the league. I haven't viewed the schedule yet but I was wondering how you think the tougher schedule affects the way the regular season plays out compared to last season.

I think a lot of Bengals' detractors look at last season and see that a lot of things had to go just right for us in order to get our 10 wins. We stayed relatively healthy, for the most part , and quite a few things did bounce our way, particularly in the season's home stretch.  So, on the surface, one could look at the Bengals and say that they were fortunate to get to 10 wins and, with a tougher schedule this season(even with some upgrades in our weakest area), we might struggle to equal that win total this season. I get that argument. However, when you go a little deeper, I think a case can be made that the Bengals' finished with about the number of wins they should have had.

Even if you consider us the recipients of a bunch of "lucky" breaks last season that maybe resulted in two or three wins above where we would have finished without all the good fortune, the fact remains we lost games that we shouldn't have lost  . Up 11 midway in the 4thQ against the deplorable Jets and Mike White- should have won ; fumblelitis by our former punt returner and Zac not letting Joe B. finish the job against SF-should have  been a win ; McPherson uncharacteristically missing two FGs(one by inches) against GB- could have won that one ; second Cleveland game if we had played at full strength- would have won ;  da Bears - one missed tackle late in the game that could have swung that one our way ;  Chargers' game- without the Mixon fumble late in the 3rdQ, we score and take the lead and maybe win that one.

So, our critics say we were lucky to win 10 games  and very well could have only won seven or eight without the lucky breaks. Maybe. But, on the other hand, we very well could have and , maybe should have,  won three or four more games that we lost.  We could have conceivably had 13 or 14 wins instead of 10.  A case can definitely be made that games we were fortunate to win and that the games we lost but should have won balanced out and we ended up with the win total we should have had.

My question is this? With the tougher schedule in '22 but with  improvements in personnel, particularly in our weak areas, how does it play out in 2022?  Does the better roster balance out the tougher schedule or does one outweigh the other?

Do you side with the critics who say we were probably more of a  8-9 type team than 10-7 last season and therefore 10 wins this season would be what we should expect?  Or, do you agree with me that our 10-7 record last season  was definitely no fluke and could have easily been 13 or 14 wins instead?

With the tougher schedule but improved roster, do you think we will fall shy of last years 10 regular season wins or improve on that total?

Also,  if someone could post the schedule here I would appreciate it.  With a team as talented as the Bengals, I don't think there are any games you could just chalk up as an automatic loss. But if you are predicting 4, 5 , or more losses, which games are you predicting as an "L" ?  

Also, how many wins to you think it take to win the North and how many wins to have the best record in the AFC?

I know that's a lot of questions but I truly value your input.  You all are the smartest football people I know.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 06:14 PM)Science Friction Wrote: I read where some of you were talking about the Bengals' '22 schedule and how it is the third toughest schedule in the league. I haven't viewed the schedule yet but I was wondering how you think the tougher schedule affects the way the regular season plays out compared to last season.

I think a lot of Bengals' detractors look at last season and see that a lot of things had to go just right for us in order to get our 10 wins. We stayed relatively healthy, for the most part , and quite a few things did bounce our way, particularly in the season's home stretch.  So, on the surface, one could look at the Bengals and say that they were fortunate to get to 10 wins and, with a tougher schedule this season(even with some upgrades in our weakest area), we might struggle to equal that win total this season. I get that argument. However, when you go a little deeper, I think a case can be made that the Bengals' finished with about the number of wins they should have had.

Even if you consider us the recipients of a bunch of "lucky" breaks last season that maybe resulted in two or three wins above where we would have finished without all the good fortune, the fact remains we lost games that we shouldn't have lost  . Up 11 midway in the 4thQ against the deplorable Jets and Mike White- should have won ; fumblelitis by our former punt returner and Zac not letting Joe B. finish the job against SF-should have  been a win ; McPherson uncharacteristically missing two FGs(one by inches) against GB- could have won that one ; second Cleveland game if we had played at full strength- would have won ;  da Bears - one missed tackle late in the game that could have swung that one our way ;  Chargers' game- without the Mixon fumble late in the 3rdQ, we score and take the lead and maybe win that one.

So, our critics say we were lucky to win 10 games  and very well could have only won seven or eight without the lucky breaks. Maybe. But, on the other hand, we very well could have and , maybe should have,  won three or four more games that we lost.  We could have conceivably had 13 or 14 wins instead of 10.  A case can definitely be made that games we were fortunate to win and that the games we lost but should have won balanced out and we ended up with the win total we should have had.

My question is this? With the tougher schedule in '22 but with  improvements in personnel, particularly in our weak areas, how does it play out in 2022?  Does the better roster balance out the tougher schedule or does one outweigh the other?

Do you side with the critics who say we were probably more of a  8-9 type team than 10-7 last season and therefore 10 wins this season would be what we should expect?  Or, do you agree with me that our 10-7 record last season  was definitely no fluke and could have easily been 13 or 14 wins instead?

With the tougher schedule but improved roster, do you think we will fall shy of last years 10 regular season wins or improve on that total?

Also,  if someone could post the schedule here I would appreciate it.  With a team as talented as the Bengals, I don't think there are any games you could just chalk up as an automatic loss. But if you are predicting 4, 5 , or more losses, which games are you predicting as an "L" ?  

Also, how many wins to you think it take to win the North and how many wins to have the best record in the AFC?

I know that's a lot of questions but I truly value your input.  You all are the smartest football people I know.

I will start off with a lot of those same critics also said we prior to start of the season we were anywhere from 26th to 30th best team. How did that turn out for them? As far as a tough schedule, it is very difficult because FA and the draft are not over. Teams will either improve from 2021, stay the same or get worse. A team we beat 2x in 2021 lost some key players to trades and cuts and nit resigning some of their own yet.

We do play a 1st place schedule versus a 4th place schedule so first thought is it will be tougher. Our 17th scheduled game in 2022 is against Dallas away while we lost that game to SF in 2021 at home anyway. I think we saw a close to 100% Joe Burrow in 2021, but not until the playoffs. I think the improvement of our OL is significant while a team like the Saints who we play OL got much worse. Atlanta traded away a vet QB and look to e rebuilding. Carolina is still searching for answers t QB. Can Tom Brady overcome the loss of not 1, but 2 starting OG's? He struggles last most QB's with pressure up the middle.

Buffalo is a tough game, but 1 game. Are the Steelers better or worse without Ben? Will we lose to the Browns again twice? Will Watson be available both games against us?

As I said, the same critics wanting to rain on our parade are the guys that missed badly their 2021 predictions for the Bengals because they were too lazy to look at our 2020 injuries and players coming back, our draft and FA in 2021 and of course thought JB would not be ready to win in 2021 until later in the year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure that there are critics saying we got lucky to have 10 wins last year. Like you pointed out we lost several close games that could've easily been wins. The only thing we got lucky with last season was our overall health and maybe the fact that the Steelers and Ravens were so bad ( Ravens the 2nd game anyway). Now you could say we got lucky to make the Superbowl with an offense that had the worst output in the last 10 yrs in the playoffs anyway. But the defense played really well and kept all the games manageable.

As far as next year goes I believe we can get to or surpass that 10 win total. A lot of that will depend on health and if this offensive line plays well and gives Burrow time and we get a more consistent running game. The real struggle with next year will be what win total we will need to win the division or make the playoffs. The AFC just loaded all kinds of talent and a lot of teams will be improved. I'll be curious when the actual schedule is released and when we play some of these games and where. I'll also be curious how many prime time games we are given as this will be a good indicator on how good the NFL expects us to be.
Reply/Quote
I'll say I sure liked the schedule a whole lot more when Tom Brady retired, the Browns didn't have Deshaun Watson, and the Dolphins didn't have to be taken seriously.

Still think the Bengals win the division, but that's 4 games that went from what should be easy wins to being a bit up in the air now.

I also don't think that Lamar will ever be MVP Lamar again (just such a perfect storm of supporting cast around him that year) but the Ravens won't have 50 or whatever guys on the IR this year so it won't be the cakewalk of last year against them. Steelers will still get stomped though. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Burrow will have an extra second next season. Not too worried
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Final Record 12-5

HOME GAMES
Atlanta Falcons W
Baltimore Ravens W
Buffalo Bills L
Carolina Panthers W
Cleveland Browns W
Kansas City Chiefs W
Miami Dolphins W
Pittsburgh Steelers W

AWAY GAMES
Baltimore Ravens L
Cleveland Browns L
Dallas Cowboys W
New England Patriots W
New Orleans Saints W
New York Jets W
Pittsburgh Steelers W
Tampa Bay Buccaneers L
Tennessee Titans L
Reply/Quote
Positives.....Our two toughest games in the AFC are at PBS (KC, Buf). No west coast road trips.

Negatives....As already noted third toughest based on 2021 records. I know teams that were good last year can stink this year, but just looking at the teams right now it looks pretty tough.

I hate to say it, but I never count out the Steelers. 18 straight years without a losing season. They are going to be tough wins this year. Ravens had more injuries than any team I have seen in a long time. Odds are they will be healthier and better this year. DeShaun Watson is one of the best QBs in the league. Unless he is suspended the Browns will be very tough. So that is six. Then we have 6 playoff teams from last year(NE, TN, KC, BUF, DAL, TB). Then we have 2 more teams that had winning records but missed the playoffs (NO, MIA). Both teams have made massive free agent signings that will make them much better in 2022. Fins signed OT Terron Armstead, WR Cedrick Wilson, OG Connor Williams, and RB Chase Edmonds. Saints signed Andy Dalton. So that is 14 of 17 tough games. All that leaves are the Falcons, Panthers, and Jets.
Reply/Quote
I'm guessing most predictions will be more positive than last year.

In case you wanted to peruse where we were before last season...
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Make-Your-2021-Early-Season-Predictions

As far as the schedule goes, it always looks worse before the season starts.

As usual...i want my 13 win season, just like always. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I really think it comes down to the quality of the AFC North, last year Ravens, Browns and Steelers were much worse than in 2020, i expect Browns and Ravens to be better this year, with Steelers sub 500 like they were last year which means we might make it a bit tougher to go 4-2 plus with playing KC, Titans and Bills that could be a 1-2 record there, Im feeling 11-6 overall, win division , with one home game in playoffs, win that one and then the battle comes in the form of Buffalo or Tennessee
Reply/Quote
I'll take 12 wins and take my chances with Joe B & Company in the postseason.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 10:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm guessing most predictions will be more positive than last year.

I realize this is an overly simplistic take, but I've always wanted the Bengals to be good enough for me to say that anything short of winning the SB would be disappointing...so I'll say that.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 06:14 PM)Science Friction Wrote: I read where some of you were talking about the Bengals' '22 schedule and how it is the third toughest schedule in the league. I haven't viewed the schedule yet but I was wondering how you think the tougher schedule affects the way the regular season plays out compared to last season.

Not trying to sound like a homer, but the Bengals that played the last 5 games of the season would beat the Bengals that played the first 5 games of the season 35-14 every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

The DEFENSE gelled and could be a top 5 unit this year if they stay healthy and guys like Ossai and Kareem progress and contribute.

Burrow with an improved line?  Sick.

The rest of the league has been very aggressive and made a lot of big splashes to join the fray and the AFC will be crazy competitive.  That being said:  Like the great Adam Schein always says:  Give me the team with the better QB, the better defense, and the better coach....and think how few teams will be able to say that?  Not just ZT as coach, but Lou and Darrin...and Pollack.

Do I think they win 14 games and have a #1 seed?  Possible, but not likely.  It will all come down to health and improving depth between now and week 1 at WR, CB, and 3T.

If I had to wager on win total for the season it would be 12-5.
Reply/Quote
We had the 6th toughest schedule last year, with nowhere near as good of an O-line. We should be better enough this year to deal with moving up 3 spots on the strength of schedule. And I don't see us losing to TB, they will not be as good as they were last year.
Reply/Quote
If I could watch most of the games in 2019 and 2020, I could be a fan through anything. Anyone who thinks the Bengals got "lucky" should look at the Ravens, Steelers, and Chiefs games. On the other hand, they went 0-5 against the Browns and California teams. For 2022, the schedule doesn't seem more or less difficult though the Chiefs game will be very interesting.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 08:05 AM)Sled21 Wrote: We had the 6th toughest schedule last year, with nowhere near as good of an O-line. We should be better enough this year to deal with moving up 3 spots on the strength of schedule. And I don't see us losing to TB, they will not be as good as they were last year.

Every year is different and can't be predicted, just ask the Rams how difficult it is to follow up a SB run.

That said, I think we will be much improved in the run game with the additions to the OL.  That alone should offset the more difficult schedule in 2022.  Sure there are 1st place teams on the schedule, but the Bengals are also and should have a much improved run game to compliment the skilled positions in the pass game.  Thus Burrow should take less abuse and be even better or at least more comfortable than last year.  

I like our chances just as much as anyone.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 11:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I realize this is an overly simplistic take, but I've always wanted the Bengals to be good enough for me to say that anything short of winning the SB would be disappointing...so I'll say that.

I call that and raise anything less than 21-0 will disappoint.. I want it all. I ain't picky..  Tongue

Something I haven't heard that was drummed all last season is coming back from injury JoeyB.. Well, Ravens will have a BUNCH coming back from injuries. Anyone think they'll all be a Joe Burrow kind of comeback? I kind of doubt it.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 08:48 AM)grampahol Wrote: I call that and raise anything less than 21-0 will disappoint.. I want it all. I ain't picky..  Tongue

Something I haven't heard that was drummed all last season is coming back from injury JoeyB.. Well, Ravens will have a BUNCH coming back from injuries. Anyone think they'll all be a Joe Burrow kind of comeback? I kind of doubt it.

I feel like Burrow could win with an XFL team around him, but i also want at least one SB win before he gets his 50+ million per year, just to play it safe. 
Reply/Quote
I think many are discounting how much Burrow may actually improve next season.

He improved as last season went on.

He still hasn’t had as much pre-season time over the last two years as would be normal in pre-pandemic times.

And with an actual offensive line?
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 09:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Positives.....Our two toughest games in the AFC are at PBS (KC, Buf). No west coast road trips.

Negatives....As already noted third toughest based on 2021 records. I know teams that were good last year can stink this year, but just looking at the teams right now it looks pretty tough.

I hate to say it, but I never count out the Steelers. 18 straight years without a losing season. They are going to be tough wins this year. Ravens had more injuries than any team I have seen in a long time. Odds are they will be healthier and better this year. DeShaun Watson is one of the best QBs in the league. Unless he is suspended the Browns will be very tough. So that is six. Then we have 6 playoff teams from last year(NE, TN, KC, BUF, DAL, TB). Then we have 2 more teams that had winning records but missed the playoffs (NO, MIA). Both teams have made massive free agent signings that will make them much better in 2022. Fins signed OT Terron Armstead, WR Cedrick Wilson, OG Connor Williams, and RB Chase Edmonds. Saints signed Andy Dalton. So that is 14 of 17 tough games. All that leaves are the Falcons, Panthers, and Jets.

Massive free agent signings for the Saints, and then list Andy Dalton?

Also, you left out arguably the phins biggest addition in Hill
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 07:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: As I said, the same critics wanting to rain on our parade are the guys that missed badly their 2021 predictions for the Bengals because they were too lazy to look at our 2020 injuries and players coming back, our draft and FA in 2021 and of course thought JB would not be ready to win in 2021 until later in the year.

Joe Burrow must have been "lazy" also because he claimed he was surprised that the Bengals made it to the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote