Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 3-1 in last 4 Games
(10-23-2023, 05:25 PM)depthchart Wrote: I just go by what I see and when I watch the 49ers it appears to me that Purdy has a larger more secure Pocket than Burrow in general.

He seems to have that extra bit of time and space to look then step forward or in other directions more freely when he throws.

Have not watched every 49er snap, so I may have biased my opinion with a small play sample size.

Either way, I would make having Great Offensive Line play something that I would want to provide for Burrow going forward.

I dunno if it's due to what Pollack is coaching or just a sheer lack of talent by some/most of the OL for the Bengals, but they've never really resembled much of a firm pocket when pass blocking.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 06:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I dunno if it's due to what Pollack is coaching or just a sheer lack of talent by some/most of the OL for the Bengals, but they've never really resembled much of a firm pocket when pass blocking.

Has to be Pollack

Pocket appears to be in Joes lap even when they are holding

I have heard podcasts discuss this too so it isn’t something we’re crazy about that’s not really happening.

Our lineman definitely go further back than other teams lineman and i absolutely believe it’s coaching telling them to do it.

I guess theoretically it should help bad lineman have a bit more space to set up their block but in reality it seems like it hurts more then help
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 04:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Actually, the 49ers OL has been rather porous other than Trent Williams.

Banks (LG) - 3 sacks, 15 total pressures allowed
Brendel (center) - 0 sacks, 11 total pressures allowed
Burford (RG) - 1 sack, 16 total pressures allowed
McKivitz (RT) - 4 sacks, 11 total pressures allowed

The 49ers are what they are because of their incredible run game.

Purdy has played well only 1 int this year, he moves well in pocket and is accurate and has good play action, he compliments the run game well
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 06:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I dunno if it's due to what Pollack is coaching or just a sheer lack of talent by some/most of the OL for the Bengals, but they've never really resembled much of a firm pocket when pass blocking.

Pollack has struggled for sure and I'm ready to move on but Burrow does not help himself with pressure with his short drop, and lack of effective play action. He had it easier at LSU , he needs to improve also.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2023, 08:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The problem is even with 3-1 we still are last in division and 0-2 in division,  loss next week makes it long odds to make playoffs
Everybody on here just assumes Bengals are going to lose.  The 49ers just lost to the Browns and Vikings.  That means they are not unbeatable. Plus they played Monday Night, and have a short week of practice and look kind of banged up. Bengals come in rested from the bye-week.  Purdy has looked awful last 2 weeks.  Bengals could win this one. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 03:19 PM)depthchart Wrote: I may even take it a step further.

Add a Vet Left Guard and a Vet Right Tackle.  (Karras ©, Cappa (RG) and Brown (LT) have been brought in already)

Use early Draft capital (Top 3 rounds) at other positions way more often than not.

Flat out Build a Top O-line with as many Proven Veterans as possible.

If an Offensive Lineman gets Drafted early, don't Plan on him starting right away only to find out that he is a weak link.

They could still take the occasional early round Offensive line pick but not put Burrow & Team success at risk with an unproven rookie.

Or get a C, and move Karras to LG. Either way I an done with the whole “ a mediocre line is good enough” experiment. Success begins in the trenches, every time.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2023, 12:02 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Purdy has played well only 1 int this year, he moves well in pocket and is accurate and has good play action, he compliments the run game well

CMC looked very good on Monday night and he is going to be on fire ready to get his team a win next week. Purdy has been okay but has not looked as polished as he did early on this year. My hope is that we can find a way to limit the damage from CMC and make Purdy beat us. That also adds Kittle into the mix as well and we always seem to have our hands full with athletic TEs.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2023, 08:14 PM)chrisball96 Wrote: CMC looked very good on Monday night and he is going to be on fire ready to get his team a win next week. Purdy has been okay but has not looked as polished as he did early on this year. My hope is that we can find a way to limit the damage from CMC and make Purdy beat us. That also adds Kittle into the mix as well and we always seem to have our hands full with athletic TEs.

To be fair, most every team has their hands full with athletic tight ends.

The bengals actually have done arguable better than the rest of the league vs the best tight end (ever??) in the nfl the last few years.

Four games, against bengals, since 2021 for kelce 26 catches, 254 yards and 3 TDs. It doesn’t seem like great numbers (for our defense)
6.5 catches, 63.5 yards and .75 TDs/game.

Over that same time, against the league, he is averaging 6.66 catches, 78.75 yards and .71 TDs/game.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 02:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I was one who suggested to let Tee walk and put that saved money toward other positions, but I definitely wasn't the only one to suggest.

Would you think it's easier for the Bengals to hit on a WR2 or a RT in the draft?
Personally, I think they're terrible at drafting OL and they've been pretty good scouting WRs, so I lean toward sign a vet RT (or re-sign Jonah) and draft a WR in Rds 1 or 2.

With that said, I do think the Bengals could find a way to actually keep Higgins and have a vet RT, but that could make the purse pretty tight for defensive FAs.

No doubt this is the way we should go. We know how to Draft WR's, not OL and Tee will be too expensive to stack the OL
and extend Ja'Marr Chase who is playing much better than Tee this year by a large margin. If we were going to extend Tee 
it would of already happened before the season when the Burrow deal got done IMO.

I know Tee's price is going way down, but that doesn't mean we need him here either if it hurts the trenches in any way.

Keep the trenches strong with proven vets and this team will be good for a long time. We can draft WR's and weapons to 
go along with one of the best in Ja'Marr Chase.
Reply/Quote
Is it safe to say that the Bengals are now 4-1 in their last 5 games?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 12:22 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Is it safe to say that the Bengals are now 4-1 in their last 5 games?

I'll drink to that!
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 12:22 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Is it safe to say that the Bengals are now 4-1 in their last 5 games?

Pretty awesome!  Rock On

(10-30-2023, 12:46 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I'll drink to that!

I will later lol Cheers
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2023, 08:49 AM)kevin Wrote: For all the negative as usual on this board, there is a lot to be positive about.

Bengals have been to AFC Championship back to back years for first time in franchise history.  Both games were in Kansas City, Bengals  won one of them. Most of that team is still here in 2023.  With Burrow in very bad shape from a bad leg all preseason, Bengals lost their first 2 games of season.  However they have went 3-1 since the bad start.  

So for those on the boards suggesting Bengals turn everything upside down and change everything, I suggest not.   This team has just had the 2 best back to back seasons in franchise history and after a bad start due to Burrow injury, they have went 3-1 before the bye week.  The bye week gives Burrow and Higgins and others a chance to rest and get more healthy.  

For all the negative on this board, which there is plenty of, remember that The Bengals going to AFC Championship last 2 seasons have won 3 of the last 4 games, and Joe Burrow is getting healthy from that summer leg injury.

GO BENGALS

Tiger

Very exciting.  They survived the injury and went 3-3, and then came out and looked like what we all expected against SF.  Just can’t afford a letdown against the Bills.  Win this one and I think they will be rolling. 
Reply/Quote