Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burkhead Making A Strong Impression in New England
(06-26-2017, 03:33 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yep, I wanted Cook over Mixon as well. But once Minnesota jumped up and grabbed him I knew what was coming with our pick. I didn't hate the Mixon pick, but I didn't love it either. I really hope it works out for the best but I wouldn't be shocked if Cook has a better career

I preferred Mixon because he's more of a bellcow type of back with more power between the tackles that can send Hill to the bench.  Cook is closer to Gio in his skill set, and Gio is locked up long term.  The fumbling issues are also a big strike against Cook, especially since fumbles from the RB's have killed us in a couple of recent playoff losses.  

Off the field, if not for the video, Cook would've universally been seen as a higher character risk.

I would have been happy with either, but I gave Mixon a definite edge.  Still, it's kind of like comparing Shady McCoy to LeVeon Bell.  Different kinds of backs, but you can't go wrong with either.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 10:23 PM)Whatever Wrote: I preferred Mixon because he's more of a bellcow type of back with more power between the tackles that can send Hill to the bench.  Cook is closer to Gio in his skill set, and Gio is locked up long term.  The fumbling issues are also a big strike against Cook, especially since fumbles from the RB's have killed us in a couple of recent playoff losses.  

Off the field, if not for the video, Cook would've universally been seen as a higher character risk.

I would have been happy with either, but I gave Mixon a definite edge.  Still, it's kind of like comparing Shady McCoy to LeVeon Bell.  Different kinds of backs, but you can't go wrong with either.

Excellent point about Cook's ball security issues and "other" issues, but I believe that the durability and ball security were the big reasons they let Cook go to the six rulers.  

Plus, I think that trade allowed us to get Josh Malone, a steal in the fourth round if he pans out.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 10:11 PM)Whatever Wrote: Hernandez shot a guy while at Florida, but the victim later recanted the part about Hernandez being the trigger man.  Now, Cook hasn't shot anybody, to my knowledge, but Hernandez was off the rails and out of control in college.

Right.  Cook has made some poor choices, but nothing like that.  Hernandez was a loose cannon.

(06-26-2017, 10:23 PM)Whatever Wrote: I preferred Mixon because he's more of a bellcow type of back with more power between the tackles that can send Hill to the bench.  Cook is closer to Gio in his skill set, and Gio is locked up long term.  The fumbling issues are also a big strike against Cook, especially since fumbles from the RB's have killed us in a couple of recent playoff losses.  

I agree totally about the risk part, but maybe not the bellcow thing.

Mixon split carries at OU, Cook WAS the offense in Tallahassee.  Cook is more powerful than Gio, and more dynamic.  I love Bernard to death, and he is most definitely a better ambassador for our team....but he's not in Cook's league between the hashes.

I wanted Devonta Freeman two years ago, and can Hill then.....Cook has shattered his records at Miami-Dade, and FSU.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 09:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: Right.  Cook has made some poor choices, but nothing like that.  Hernandez was a loose cannon.

It's about his associations, and they were basically the same as Hernandez, he is tied to gang members out of Miami. He says he is leaving it behind, but only time will tell. As I said cook is good, but in a post Aaron Hernandez world guys with gang ties are a scary proposition. Especially for organizations who aren't the patriots and basically have Teflon coating for bad PR.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 09:40 AM)Au165 Wrote: It's about his associations, and they were basically the same as Hernandez, he is tied to gang members out of Miami. He says he is leaving it behind, but only time will tell. As I said cook is good, but in a post Aaron Hernandez world guys with gang ties are a scary proposition. Especially for organizations who aren't the patriots and basically have Teflon coating for bad PR.

Fair point.  The thing that was the most worrisome about Hernandez to me, was the fact that his people were in Florida all the way from Connecticut.  That's a long way to just "visit".  As I alluded to in my reply to you, there are some striking differences.  To me, it's like Cook is guilty by association, due to his home turf and the people he grew up with and got in trouble with.  It appears that Hernandez sought out the association.  Just a casual observation......

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 10:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: Fair point.  The thing that was the most worrisome about Hernandez to me, was the fact that his people were in Florida all the way from Connecticut.  That's a long way to just "visit".  As I alluded to in my reply to you, there are some striking differences.  To me, it's like Cook is guilty by association, due to his home turf and the people he grew up with and got in trouble with.  It appears that Hernandez sought out the association.  Just a casual observation......

I can see that, but Cook had issues with more than just association down there. One scout said he thought Cook was one of the biggest character red flag in the draft. Either way it doesn't really matter he is a Viking now, hopefully he doesn't get into trouble for Zimmer.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 09:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: Right.  Cook has made some poor choices, but nothing like that.  Hernandez was a loose cannon.

I agree totally about the risk part, but maybe not the bellcow thing.

Mixon split carries at OU, Cook WAS the offense in Tallahassee.  Cook is more powerful than Gio, and more dynamic.  I love Bernard to death, and he is most definitely a better ambassador for our team....but he's not in Cook's league between the hashes.

I wanted Devonta Freeman two years ago, and can Hill then.....Cook has shattered his records at Miami-Dade, and FSU.
Of all the backs I saw on film I liked Cook the best as a pure runner.  Just a natural runner who almost always found daylight.  The most dynamic and explosive.

Fornette was the most powerful (though the kid from Pittsburgh who went to the Steelers was darn close).   He put some licks on dbs and in blitz pickup that made me shudder.  Jacksonville will not be disappointed in their pick.

But I think that Mixon will have been the best overall choice for the Bengals.  He does a lot of things really well, including block.  And his receiving is elite.

Can't wait to see the guy play.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 10:29 AM)Au165 Wrote: I can see that, but Cook had issues with more than just association down there. One scout said he thought Cook was one of the biggest character red flag in the draft. Either way it doesn't really matter he is a Viking now, hopefully he doesn't get into trouble for Zimmer.

Yep, and hopefully Mixon doesn't give the Bengals any headaches.  Being a longtime FSU fan, I'll still be tracking him and other Seminole alums to see how they fare though. One thing to ponder is that according to the MMQB article, Cook didn't go through "interview tutoring" as most players do, and chose, instead, to interview on his own merit.

(06-27-2017, 02:15 PM)3wt Wrote: Of all the backs I saw on film I liked Cook the best as a pure runner.  Just a natural runner who almost always found daylight.  The most dynamic and explosive.

Fornette was the most powerful (though the kid from Pittsburgh who went to the Steelers was darn close).   He put some licks on dbs and in blitz pickup that made me shudder.  Jacksonville will not be disappointed in their pick.

But I think that Mixon will have been the best overall choice for the Bengals.  He does a lot of things really well, including block.  And his receiving is elite.

Can't wait to see the guy play.

Yeah, I'm glad we didn't get Fornette.  I like his power, but behind this line.....I had my concerns.  Cook's ability to be "extra slippery" as you refer to in finding daylight was what intrigued me the most about him in stripes.  The way our run blocking has been the last decade plus, we need a guy who can make things happen.  Hopefully Mixon will.

Reply/Quote