Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals +6 This Week?
We're going into this week as 6 point underdogs but everywhere I've seen has us at least covering:

CBS has us winning straight-up!

Sporting News has us losing but covering.

TheBigLead has us winning straight-up by 3!

Are we going to be able to game plan to stop Lamar and whoever else in the run game and force them to throw to beat us?

I'm liking this bet and might lay $200 on it.

Good bet?
Reply/Quote
I don't like making bets against the spread, because I think "who will win" is an easier question to get right than "what kind of game will it be?"

Breech over at CBS is often a bit of a Bengals homer, bless his heart. He's of course the son of Jim Breech.
Reply/Quote
This is a Bengals team much more designed to stop the run than the Ravens have faced with Lamar Jackson as QB.

A more balanced D-line, improved/more seasoned LBs and a DB group more in tuned with what Lou Anarumo wants.

This could be a moral victory to just keep it close. 5-1 team, on the road, division leader with achance to be up by 2 and 1/2 games going into their bye week.

BUT, if the Bengals can contain Jackson and, possibly more importantly, stop their TE Andrews, they can pull into first place with a win this week. It's not likely, but I think that this is their best chance so far to pull off a win against Jackson.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are improved, but I don't know if I would be throwing away $200 like that, Bfritz.

Ravens vs Bengals in the Joe Burrow era are 2-0 with an average score of 32.5 to 3.
Ravens vs Bengals in the Zac Taylor era are 4-0 with an average score of 34.25 to 9.
Ravens vs Bengals in the Lamar Jackson era are 5-0 with an average score of 32.2 to 11.4.

I have seen nothing the last 5 games against the Ravens that would make me want to risk $200. That's about as ugly of a one-sided beatdown as there has ever existed.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 04:51 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: This could be a moral victory to just keep it close. 5-1 team, on the road, division leader with achance to be up by 2 and 1/2 games going into their bye week.

Agreed. I think the opposite is true too. A loss by any significant margin will send a message that we aren't there yet and are not yet for real ……and the voices out there that have conveyed we haven’t beaten anyone with a winning record … justifiably gets louder.

Moreover, an embarrassing loss, especially against our division rival, may even mess with our players’ confidence a bit as it relates to getting anywhere this season.

I see a lot of threads saying “this is a must win” pretty much weekly. Lol.
This is not that, but the score will paint a clear picture of our identity and where we are as contenders.

I liken this a bit to the Green Bay game. A win would've shown the world we have arrived and can beat anyone. The close loss we suffered, still proved we are potential contenders and probably for real.

Getting spanked would have kicked us down the ladder as just another mediocre team.

Sadly, as a long time Bengal fan; I’m happy/content these days with a decent team that makes some noise and gets to the playoffs. A SB win or even appearance is so off my grid, I wouldn’t even know how to process it. Lol.

I have the Rat Turds winning this (dang it). I’m just praying our Bengals show up in the first half and make this a game. If they do this 2nd half awakening crap against THIS team, no way we don’t get humiliated.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 12:04 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: We're going into this week as 6 point underdogs but everywhere I've seen has us at least covering:

CBS has us winning straight-up!

Sporting News has us losing but covering.

TheBigLead has us winning straight-up by 3!

Are we going to be able to game plan to stop Lamar and whoever else in the run game and force them to throw to beat us?

I'm liking this bet and might lay $200 on it.  

Good bet?

I don't like betting the Bengals at all.  If they lose, I feel like I lose twice.

The bet of the week to me is the under for the Thursday Night Football game.  Denver has a weak offense and the Browns are beat up and Denver has a good defense. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 12:08 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I don't like making bets against the spread, because I think "who will win" is an easier question to get right than "what kind of game will it be?"

Breech over at CBS is often a bit of a Bengals homer, bless his heart. He's of course the son of Jim Breech.

Good ol' John Breech!  Here are some fun predictions he made going into our 2019 2-14 season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/five-bold-bengals-predictions-for-2019-nfl-season-andy-dalton-goes-off-in-year-with-surprising-afc-north-finish/

1. Bengals don't finish under .500, don't finish in last place in the AFC North
2. Andy Dalton tops 4,000 yards passing, hits a career high
3. A.J. Green and Tyler Boyd both go over 1,000 yards receiving
4. Joe Mixon leads the NFL in rushing
5. Bengals defense hits the 20-interception mark
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 06:47 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Bengals are improved, but I don't know if I would be throwing away $200 like that, Bfritz.

Ravens vs Bengals in the Joe Burrow era are 2-0 with an average score of 32.5 to 3.
Ravens vs Bengals in the Zac Taylor era are 4-0 with an average score of 34.25 to 9.
Ravens vs Bengals in the Lamar Jackson era are 5-0 with an average score of 32.2 to 11.4.

I have seen nothing the last 5 games against the Ravens that would make me want to risk $200. That's about as ugly of a one-sided beatdown as there has ever existed.

Joe Burrow played 1 game against the ravens not 2. It was also his sixth game with no offseason practices or preseason. You can’t compare the 2019 and 2020 Bengals to this year’s squad. Couldn’t you make this same argument about the Steelers before we kicked their asses twice?
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 08:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't like betting the Bengals at all.  If they lose, I feel like I lose twice.

The bet of the week to me is the under for the Thursday Night Football game.  Denver has a weak offense and the Browns are beat up and Denver has a good defense. 

Lol, so true.  Felt like that going to games at times too.  Spending all of that money, and then the drive home in a terrible mood.  
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 12:08 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I don't like making bets against the spread, because I think "who will win" is an easier question to get right than "what kind of game will it be?"

Yeah, I see your point.  Sometimes, it is more difficult to enjoy the games because I'll constantly be thinking "ok, we need to do this and hold them to this and blah blah blah," but it's not bad if I'm actually at the game (haven't gone in a few years besides for a few), out drinking with friends, or eating wings somewhere while I watch it because we'll all be focused on the game.

When it's another team, I don't care.  I'm not made of money or anything, but money's not that important to me.
(10-20-2021, 04:51 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: This is a Bengals team much more designed to stop the run than the Ravens have faced with Lamar Jackson as QB.

A more balanced D-line, improved/more seasoned LBs and a DB group more in tuned with what Lou Anarumo wants.

This could be a moral victory to just keep it close. 5-1 team, on the road, division leader with achance to be up by 2 and 1/2 games going into their bye week.

BUT, if the Bengals can contain Jackson and, possibly more importantly, stop their TE Andrews, they can pull into first place with a win this week. It's not likely, but I think that this is their best chance so far to pull off a win against Jackson.
Our defense has always struggled stopping tight ends but, surprisingly, this season, our defense is in the top five or ten in most categories against tight ends!

Granted that we haven't played the best tight ends, but Hockenson is top ten and we did hold him to under a hundred yards and no TDs on only 8 catches.
(10-20-2021, 06:47 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Bengals are improved, but I don't know if I would be throwing away $200 like that, Bfritz.

Baltimore was good last week, but they also gave up 400+ passing yards to Carr and Wentz.

They BARELY beat a winless Lions team, BARELY beat an average KC team, and went to OT with a bad Colts team. People say we haven't been tested much but neither have they.   
(10-20-2021, 08:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't like betting the Bengals at all.  If they lose, I feel like I lose twice.

I don't know if my bookie takes under bets but I'll keep that in mind ThumbsUp

As for your losing twice point, that's true, but you can also feel like you won twice ThumbsUp

I agree that sometimes it is harder to focus on the game and just getting the W.
Reply/Quote
I literally have no idea what to expect from this game. I'm not touching it. I might look at some props or something.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Where's the second digit in that spread?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
This is a brutal game to predict.

If the Ravens defense who played the Chargers shows up, it'll be ugly. But if the Ravens defense that was gashed by the Colts shows up the Bengals should win.

On the defensive side, Jackson has weapons and plenty of them to show he can throw and is doing so at a high rate this season. This will be a battle and not a game I'd want to bet.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I learned my lesson with gambling years ago so I don't do it. I was 17 in Las Vegas with about 23 cents in my pocket, dropped a nickle in a slot machine and won $40 right off the bat and thought, THIS IS THE LIFE FOR ME! I gave every penny right back before lunch and tried to leave town with 2 big hound dogs following me everywhere so I decided to hitch hike with them. Just as I was about to get a ride some woman on the other side of the fence at the freeway called to me as her dogs were running towards her and she thanked me profusely for taking care of her dogs and handed me a $50 bill for my troubles.. LOL That actually happened. I haven't placed a bet since. I damned sure ain't gonna start with the Bengals unless I'm hitch hiking out of Las Vegas with a couple of hound dogs.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 03:27 PM)grampahol Wrote: I learned my lesson with gambling years ago so I don't do it. I was 17 in Las Vegas with about 23 cents in my pocket, dropped a nickle in a slot machine and won $40 right off the bat and thought, THIS IS THE LIFE FOR ME! I gave every penny right back before lunch and tried to leave town with 2 big hound dogs following me everywhere so I decided to hitch hike with them. Just as I was about to get a ride some woman on the other side of the fence at the freeway called to me as her dogs were running towards her and she thanked me profusely for taking care of her dogs and handed me a $50 bill for my troubles.. LOL That actually happened. I haven't placed a bet since. I damned sure ain't gonna start with the Bengals unless I'm hitch hiking out of Las Vegas with a couple of hound dogs.

Put me also in the "learned my lesson" early with betting but it was watching a friend throw his life away that did it. My dad said he had Pete Rose syndrome be cause he constantly owed every bookie in town and would only pay them back when no one else would take his bets until he settled their debt.He lost a great paying job that he started in high school at 16 in the front office of a large construction company and they paid for his Architect training as he worked his way up.

He lost a great woman and one of my biggest regrets in life was not telling her what I thought of her when she dropped him because it felt disrespectful to my stupid friend. *smacks forehead* "IDIOT!!" Shortly after, she shocked us all when she wound up going out with another loser friend that was she was WAY out of his league until she left Alaska after they broke up about a year later.

He was more or less exiled out of his families life and this was all by the time he was 23. He didn't drink, didn't do drugs but could not stop betting and was bleeding his parents dry until they had to cut him loose because they just couldn't afford him anymore. We all suspected that he was stealing from all three of them, work, girlfriend and parents. He left the state and no one that I know ever heard from him again.

I once bet $50 on a fact, only because I knew that I was right and I also knew that the guy only had $55 on him.

I bet $20 on a Bengals Monday Night Football game, and, exactly like SHRacerX said, it felt like I lost twice. Never again. After that, all sports bets the last 32 years have been $1 gentlemen bets with my last $5 bet going on the Oakland A's over the SF Giants in the 1989 earthquake World Series.

The first and last time I bought pull tabs was at a bar. I bought $5 worth and pulled a $10 winner. I tipped my bartender $2 and got 2 'buyback' pull tabs for my friend and I. I walked out with a $6 exchange on that $5 deal and retired $1 ahead. I beat the system.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote

Remember the first game last year, the defense only gave up 17 points (there was a fumble returned for a TD) and some of those points were on a short field from another turnover.  

I got hammered from someone on here (honestly forget who) by saying in the offseason that I had seen flashes from Lou as a solid DC and used this game as one of the examples.  Remember what personnel he was trotting out there last year, and they had a solid game on defense (the first game).  

It will be interesting to see how our LBs fare against Lamar now that there is a better front four in front of them.  They should be clean and able to run.  I bet we see a lot of Rico Allen as well.  If I remember, he used Darius Phillips that week 1 game a lot on blitzes and he had an incredible game.  To be fair, though, Lamar wasn't 100% that game and had to be more passer than runner. 

Man, I tell you what, though.... I have not been this excited about a game in a long time.  
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 03:24 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This is a brutal game to predict.

If the Ravens defense who played the Chargers shows up, it'll be ugly. But if the Ravens defense that was gashed by the Colts shows up the Bengals should win.

On the defensive side, Jackson has weapons and plenty of them to show he can throw and is doing so at a high rate this season. This will be a battle and not a game I'd want to bet.

I'm not so sure.  That was Herbert's first time facing the blitzes of that defense and he was clearly rattled.

Burrow gets a second chance (Not calling it a revenge tour, but that always makes me laugh) at Baltimore, and I am sure the DC's comments after last year's game where he whined about the Bengals kicking a FG to avoid a shutout has stuck in his mind.

I am sure the Ratbirds won't look past Cincy as they might have Detroit and Indy.  They know what is at stake here.  
Reply/Quote
I actually think taking us with 6 points is a good bet. Lamar Jackson isn't known to sling the ball (only 6 games in his career with over 250 passing yards). Our run defense has been absolute garbage the last few years and that's why they've stomped us. This year we have a much improved run defense. I think we match up pretty well against the Ravens.
Reply/Quote
Last year, Joe Mixon couldn't run against these guys to save his life (24 for 59 yards) and Burrow really got roughed up being sacked 7 times.
This is a different team though. I don't see the Bengals running much as the Ravens are 3rd in the league in rush defense.

Burrow and the OL pass protection will have to beat these guys as the Ravens weak spot is their pass defense (ranked 25th).

+6 is probably about right as ugly as it looks.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 03:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I literally have no idea what to expect from this game. I'm not touching it. I might look at some props or something.

Like Joe Biden to little kids, I'm going to be ALL over this game sniffing up a storm. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote