Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals Are Making Moves- What About The Other 3 Teams?
Bengals are making moves to put us in a great position to make another Super Bowl run.

Shoring up the o-line, which was the only thing keeping us from winning it all the past two years, and signing free agents to strengthen the roster.

How are the Browns, Steelers, and Ravens doing in free agency? Any moves that say "this will put our team over the top" or "this move will make us contenders"?

Any moves to get fans excited?
Reply/Quote
Browns had a sneaky good Free Agency period. Dalvin Tomlinson is a big time get for them.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 05:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Bengals are making moves to put us in a great position to make another Super Bowl run.

Shoring up the o-line, which was the only thing keeping us from winning it all the past two years, and signing free agents to strengthen the roster.

How are the Browns, Steelers, and Ravens doing in free agency? Any moves that say "this will put our team over the top" or "this move will make us contenders"?

Any moves to get fans excited?

They're making some movements alright. 

Bowel movements.

Amiright?!   Hilarious

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 07:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They're making some movements alright. 

Bowel movements.

Amiright?!   Hilarious

Hilarious

I would be too if I saw us making all these moves and I knew that I'd be Joe Burrow's ***** for the next decade and a half!

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
The Steelers added Philadelphia Eagles Personnel man, Andy Weidl as their Assistant GM and have promptly signed former Eagles and current Jets starting RG Nate Herbig and current Eagles starting RG Issac Seumalo. Both are touted as aggressive and mauling run blockers. Seumalo is also supposed to be an excellent pass blocker as he gave up 1 sack and only took 2 penalties last season.

Curious that they'd sign two starting RGs but speculation is that Herbig could move to LG or Seumalo to C allowing current C, Mason Cole to move to LG. Given Weidl's familiarity with them, there's a reason they added both players and there's probably a solid plan in place. The Eagles are known to have one of the best O lines.

It's clear that they are going all-in on running the ball and taking the pressure off of KP8. They are going to give him every chance to succeed and grow and be sure if he's their guy before they commit to his second contract. They aren't pulling a Giants and repeating the Daniel Jones situation.

Defensively they let Cam Sutton walk and then brought in Patrick Peterson, about 5 years too late. Seriously though, it's a good signing IF they can draft one of their top rated CBs early in the draft. Even though he's older than dirt, he's supposed to be a great teammate, leader, and mentor....and he did have on of his best years last season at age 32. I think they're high on JERRY Porter, Jr out of Penn State and putting him with Peterson would be excellent for his growth and development.

They also resigned Larry O which is a good signing IF he can stay healthy. He didn't miss many games last year but was pretty dinged up late.

They've COMPLETELY revamped the ILB position by cutting Myles Jack (this surprised me because he was pretty good) and letting Robert Spillane and Devin Bush (thank God) leave via FA. They've added Redskins LB Cole Holcomb and Phins LB Elandon Roberts. Two solid guys, both defensive C's last year. People are screaming for Bobby Wagner, but they may add someone in the draft. Are they better at that position? Many argue that they couldn't get any worse.

They also resigned Damontae Kazee at S leaving Terrell Edmunds available in FA. He's getting no love so far, so maybe they bring him back at a team friendly number. IMO that'd be cool. People are lukewarm with him, but I think Minka, Edmunds, and Kazee is a pretty decent group of safties.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 11:49 AM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: The Steelers added Philadelphia Eagles Personnel man, Andy Weidl as their Assistant GM and have promptly signed former Eagles and current Jets starting RG Nate Herbig and current Eagles starting RG Issac Seumalo. Both are touted as aggressive and mauling run blockers. Seumalo is also supposed to be an excellent pass blocker as he gave up 1 sack and only took 2 penalties last season.

Curious that they'd sign two starting RGs but speculation is that Herbig could move to LG or Seumalo to C allowing current C, Mason Cole to move to LG. Given Weidl's familiarity with them, there's a reason they added both players and there's probably a solid plan in place. The Eagles are known to have one of the best O lines.

It's clear that they are going all-in on running the ball and taking the pressure off of KP8. They are going to give him every chance to succeed and grow and be sure if he's their guy before they commit to his second contract. They aren't pulling a Giants and repeating the Daniel Jones situation.

Defensively they let Cam Sutton walk and then brought in Patrick Peterson, about 5 years too late. Seriously though, it's a good signing IF they can draft one of their top rated CBs early in the draft. Even though he's older than dirt, he's supposed to be a great teammate, leader, and mentor....and he did have on of his best years last season at age 32. I think they're high on JERRY Porter, Jr out of Penn State and putting him with Peterson would be excellent for his growth and development.

They also resigned Larry O which is a good signing IF he can stay healthy. He didn't miss many games last year but was pretty dinged up late.

They've COMPLETELY revamped the ILB position by cutting Myles Jack (this surprised me because he was pretty good) and letting Robert Spillane and Devin Bush (thank God) leave via FA. They've added Redskins LB Cole Holcomb and Phins LB Elandon Roberts. Two solid guys, both defensive C's last year. People are screaming for Bobby Wagner, but they may add someone in the draft. Are they better at that position? Many argue that they couldn't get any worse.

They also resigned Damontae Kazee at S leaving Terrell Edmunds available in FA. He's getting no love so far, so maybe they bring him back at a team friendly number. IMO that'd be cool. People are lukewarm with him, but I think Minka, Edmunds, and Kazee is a pretty decent group of safties.
Peterson had a solid season last year but it will be interesting to see if he's found the Fountain of Youth or if last season was a fluke. 

You also have to take into consideration that he had his success last season in zone coverage and the Steelers run man coverage. Man coverage will take a lot more energy, which could be a problem with him turning 33.

I think letting Cam walk hurts.

Holcom is average but nothing special IMCO and I've seen sites give the Roberts signing a C grade.

I know the Steelers old MO was running the ball and controlling the game but that doesn't really play too well in the NFL anymore and you'd have to believe that there's no way in hell they could keep up with our scoring by being run-heavy.

Thanks for the update! Should be a hell of a season! Can't wait to play your squad!
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 11:49 AM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: The Steelers added Philadelphia Eagles Personnel man, Andy Weidl as their Assistant GM and have promptly signed former Eagles and current Jets starting RG Nate Herbig and current Eagles starting RG Issac Seumalo. Both are touted as aggressive and mauling run blockers. Seumalo is also supposed to be an excellent pass blocker as he gave up 1 sack and only took 2 penalties last season.

Hmm sounds like your defense will be a collection of talent, rather than a cohesive team.  Also hope that Salmonella is everything that you hope he will be for your OL.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Until the Browns, stop being the Browns, they're still the Browns......
Reply/Quote
Bang!  Checkmate Bengals! 

Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 10:50 AM)GMDino Wrote: Bang!  Checkmate Bengals! 

Ninja

I wonder how many people that didn't grow up in the 90s actually Googled that to see who Calvin Broadus is  Hilarious

I know Snoop's purchase of Death Row doesn't include Pac's music but I wonder if we'll hear any new Pac music because I think he had like 50 years of unreleased music. Pac was and is still the GOAT.

Anyways, back on topic, the Steelers are usually graded as a B+ down to a B- in free agency grading. I don't think they've made any moves that will drastically improve their team.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 02:01 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I wonder how many people that didn't grow up in the 90s actually Googled that to see who Calvin Broadus is  Hilarious

I know Snoop's purchase of Death Row doesn't include Pac's music but I wonder if we'll hear any new Pac music because I think he had like 50 years of unreleased music. Pac was and is still the GOAT.

Anyways, back on topic, the Steelers are usually graded as a B+ down to a B- in free agency grading. I don't think they've made any moves that will drastically improve their team.

The Steelers have rarely depended heavily on "splash" free agents.  Their usual approach to free agency is to add just enough stability and depth to the team via free agency to give them the flexibility to draft the "best available player" rather than reaching to fill needs.  And, while that occasionally bites them when they hit a draft drought (Cowher had them too), it generally works out pretty well.  

Reply/Quote
I expect the Steelers will in the draft take a big power back at some point. Harris so far has been kinda "meh" at the position and a power back would play into the OL acquisitions.

I also expect the Bengals to make a similar pick, not just because Mixon could easily be replaced but again to get a back who is more complimentary to the OL (now a bunch of Power Gap maulers) and also a better pass blocking back for our scheme.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 03:54 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: The Steelers have rarely depended heavily on "splash" free agents.  Their usual approach to free agency is to add just enough stability and depth to the team via free agency to give them the flexibility to draft the "best available player" rather than reaching to fill needs.  And, while that occasionally bites them when they hit a draft drought (Cowher had them too), it generally works out pretty well.  

I agree but they also don't haver that strong of a core.

They finished 9-8 last year, but most of their wins were one score games where they didn't dominate or anything. How many of those games will they be able to win this year when they're not improving their team too much (if at all) in free agency and just relying on the draft?
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 04:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I agree but they also don't haver that strong of a core.

They finished 9-8 last year, but most of their wins were one score games where they didn't dominate or anything. How many of those games will they be able to win this year when they're not improving their team too much (if at all) in free agency and just relying on the draft?

You say that, but which was the stronger team: the 2020 Bengals at 4-11-1 (who would play in the SB just one year later), or last year's Steelers, who went 9-8?  The latter has a seemingly smaller gap to cover to get to the same place ... 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 02:32 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: You say that, but which was the stronger team?  The 4-11-1 2020 Bengals (who would play in the SB just one year later), or last year's Steelers, who went 9-8?  The latter has a seemingly smaller gap to cover to get to the same place ... 

I would tend to agree with that.  The Steelers have a solid defense already, another piece on the OL and another receiver should make the offense a little more potent.  I'd say the Steelers and Bengals will be competing for the division title and the Ravens will take another step back, while Cleveland battles to stay out of the bottom spot.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 02:32 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: You say that, but which was the stronger team: the 2020 Bengals at 4-11-1 (who would play in the SB just one year later), or last year's Steelers, who went 9-8?  The latter has a seemingly smaller gap to cover to get to the same place ... 

I agree with you that they somehow always stay decent, but the Bengals did all that the past two years with no offensive line and that's already been drastically improved (with more likely on the way), so I'd put us way ahead of the Steelers.

Our defense could take a step back or our young guys could step up but, regardless, we should dominate now that Burrow should have time to throw the ball.
Reply/Quote