Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals At LSU's Pro Day
We were among nine teams to have our DB coach in Baton Rouge scouting Derek Stingley, which I figured there'd be more than 9.

Quote:Stingley has had an interesting pre-draft process, to say the least. Once thought of as the surefire first cornerback off the board, there are some that believe he could fall out of the top ten and be, at best, the second corner taken behind Cincinnati’s Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner.

Injuries obviously played a role in the question marks surrounding Stingley over the past two years, but teams know how special he can be, as shown by his remarkable freshman season in helping lead the Tigers to the national championship.

Personally, I want no part of Stingley and hope we just visited as smoke and mirrors.

As for other prospects:

Quote:Another name to keep an eye on is DT Neil Farrell Jr. Farrell totaled 144 tackles in 52 games (21 starts) across five seasons, including starting all 12 regular-season games for the Tigers in 2021 with two sacks and 9.5 tackles for a loss.

On the offensive side of the football, LSU has OT Austin Deculus at 6’5″, 321 pounds. Deculus holds the record for most games played in LSU history with 61. Of those 61 games, he started 47, including every game he appeared in over the last three seasons (missed Week 2 game against McNeese State) and started 12 of 13 games in 2018. Deculus was mainly right tackle for LSU.

I don't really think Farrell would be too good of a fit here. Deculus could be good for depth to block for Joe if a starter gets injured could develop into decent player.
Reply/Quote
Deculus is a very interesting prospect. Top 50 recruit nationally out of high school, 4 year starter in the SEC. He has >34" arms, good hand placement, and straight line speed, but his lateral agility appears to be lacking based on his tests. The tape doesn't quite scream "can't miss prospect" either. But he's battle tested in CFB's toughest conference and has big game pedigree. I love him as a developmental player and possible long-term solution in a few years. At minimum he should be solid depth.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2022, 08:44 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We were among nine teams to have our DB coach in Baton Rouge scouting Derek Stingley, which I figured there'd be more than 9.

Personally, I want no part of Stingley and hope we just visited as smoke and mirrors.

As for other prospects:

I don't really think Farrell would be too good of a fit here. Deculus could be good for depth to block for Joe if a starter gets injured could develop into decent player.

Have you seen the practice footage of Stingley vs. Chase? He’s a CB1 in the NFL if he can play to his potential and isn’t hampered by injury in my opinion.

I think if Shelvin fits with the Bengals, I think Farrell would, also. Farrell might even be Shelvin’s replacement if Shelvin isn’t the player they thought he would be. Again, just my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2022, 12:18 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Have you seen the practice footage of Stingley vs. Chase? He’s a CB1 in the NFL if he can play to his potential and isn’t hampered by injury in my opinion.

I think if Shelvin fits with the Bengals, I think Farrell would, also. Farrell might even be Shelvin’s replacement if Shelvin isn’t the player they thought he would be. Again, just my opinion.

I’d say after stingley’s pro day we probably don’t have to worry about him being there at 31 anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah, he won't be there, but if he were, I'd be ecstatic to get him.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2022, 12:30 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I’d say after stingley’s pro day we probably don’t have to worry about him being there at 31 anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re probably right.
Reply/Quote
I never saw a world where Stingley was ever there at 31
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2022, 02:23 AM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Deculus is a very interesting prospect. Top 50 recruit nationally out of high school, 4 year starter in the SEC. He has >34" arms, good hand placement, and straight line speed, but his lateral agility appears to be lacking based on his tests. The tape doesn't quite scream "can't miss prospect" either. But he's battle tested in CFB's toughest conference and has big game pedigree. I love him as a developmental player and possible long-term solution in a few years. At minimum he should be solid depth.

I swear I’m reading the scouting report on Whitworth the way you talk about Deculus. But I agree. LSU has a few intriguing guys who were high end prospects out of high school that are now late round projects. I’m betting that they were there to get a good look at Flott, Clark and Anthony. Andre Anthony especially. He had a huge first two games then went down for the year versus UCLA.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2022, 08:44 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We were among nine teams to have our DB coach in Baton Rouge scouting Derek Stingley, which I figured there'd be more than 9.

As for other prospects:

I find it funny the article cites the Bengals as being there but the scout there the article references does not mention the Bengals as a team working out Stingley.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2022, 02:23 AM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Deculus is a very interesting prospect. Top 50 recruit nationally out of high school, 4 year starter in the SEC. He has >34" arms, good hand placement, and straight line speed, but his lateral agility appears to be lacking based on his tests. The tape doesn't quite scream "can't miss prospect" either. But he's battle tested in CFB's toughest conference and has big game pedigree. I love him as a developmental player and possible long-term solution in a few years. At minimum he should be solid depth.

I swear I’m reading the scouting report on Whitworth the way you talk about Deculus. But I agree. LSU has a few intriguing guys who were high end prospects out of high school that are now late round projects. I’m betting that they were there to get a good look at Flott, Clark and Anthony. Andre Anthony especially. He had a huge first two games then went down for the year versus UCLA.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2022, 11:59 PM)UFBengal Wrote: I find it funny the article cites the Bengals as being there but the scout there the article references does not mention the Bengals as a team working out Stingley.

Maybe just a typo or we were watching but not personally working him out so we don't give away that we're interested in him.

I hope not because, like I said, I want no part of him.
Reply/Quote