Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals Bench You If You Win
Ryan Finley started in 1 game in 2020 at QB against the Steelers who were huge favorites to win. With Finley at QB, an awful Bengals team won a game, beat The Steelers which is rare, and it might have been a Prime Time Game which Bengals never win.

Then Finley sent to bench. The hype seems to be about Brandon Allen, who doesn't look all that great to me.

So the questions I have are : Why did Bengals under Zac Taylor draft Finley in the 4th round in 2019 draft ? Why would you bench same QB after beating The Steelers in Prime Time ?

I think there is one rule starting to show up on Bengals. DON'T WIN. If you WIN, you get Benched. This is a team with one goal, LOSE EVERY GAME.

Now some will come on here and say Finley is awful. If so, why did Bengals use a 4th round pick on him when we needed other draft help ? Again, the only game he started, he beat The Steelers in Prime Time, and he got sent to the bench because lord knows we don't want to beat the Steelers or anybody else. As Bengals hype Allen, it shows they don't care that Bengals beat Steelers starting Finley. On Bengals there is one rule, NEVER WIN. If you win, you will be punished.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
This is silly. Finley completed 53% of his passes for 89 yards and a touchdown. That is pretty pathetic. He did have a nice game running with 47 yards and a touchdown. He was benched because he wasn’t impressive. That game shows the kind of parity in the NFL. The Bengals did win, but it was an improbable win and that kind of performance from your QB is going to lose you the game more often than not. Allen gave the best chance at victory, so he was played afterwards.
Reply/Quote
Personally, I think it's great that Ryan Finley's mother has an account here.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 01:02 PM)kevin Wrote: Ryan Finley started in 1 game in 2020 at QB against the Steelers who were huge favorites to win. With Finley at QB, an awful Bengals team won a game, beat The Steelers which is rare, and it might have been a Prime Time Game which Bengals never win.

Then Finley sent to bench. The hype seems to be about Brandon Allen, who doesn't look all that great to me.

So the questions I have are : Why did Bengals under Zac Taylor draft Finley in the 4th round in 2019 draft ? Why would you bench same QB after beating The Steelers in Prime Time ?

I think there is one rule starting to show up on Bengals. DON'T WIN. If you WIN, you get Benched. This is a team with one goal, LOSE EVERY GAME.

Now some will come on here and say Finley is awful. If so, why did Bengals use a 4th round pick on him when we needed other draft help ? Again, the only game he started, he beat The Steelers in Prime Time, and he got sent to the bench because lord knows we don't want to beat the Steelers or anybody else. As Bengals hype Allen, it shows they don't care that Bengals beat Steelers starting Finley. On Bengals there is one rule, NEVER WIN. If you win, you will be punished.

This would be a good point prior to the next game, but BA then proceeded to put up 300 more passing yards than Finley the very next game. If I were to choose one of the two, I choose BA.
Reply/Quote
Come on Kevin the Steelers had what 4 or 5 turnovers in that game ? They can't run the ball and Pig Pen can't complete a pass more than 15 yards.

They went 11-0 on the strength of their defense and being incredibly lucky. Their D was crippled with injuries by that game ! They were most likely the worst 12-4 team in the history of the NFL.

It was a fun game and Finley had fun himself. But he's not an NFL level QB.

Were you kidnapped by fred aliens ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
C'mon man!!! Finley has no business being a 3rd string QB in this league!!!! I'm hoping we actually get a capable backup Qb this year to have some insurance behind Joe! Someone like Mike Glennon or CJ Beathard would be an adequate #2
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 01:02 PM)kevin Wrote: 1.) Now some will come on here and say Finley is awful.  If so, why did Bengals use a 4th round pick on him when we needed other draft help ?  
2.) Again, the only game he started, he beat The Steelers in Prime Time, and he got sent to the bench because lord knows we don't want to beat the Steelers or anybody else.

1.) He is awful.  Why did they use a 4th round pick on him?  I don't know, incompentance, stupidity, pick your word choice (they made a terrible pick).

2.) He started 3 games in 2019 and went 0-3.  In those three starts he ended up with a 47.1 completion percentage and threw for 474 yards on 87 attempts.  He produced a 62.1 rating, which is almost unheard of in the modern game.

The fact of the matter is he just isn't a very good QB.  Honestly, he probably doesn't belong in this league.  We won the Steelers game because of our defense, and because of his limitations as a passer, we were forced to establish a run game.  Lucky for us, it worked.

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 02:09 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 1.) He is awful.  Why did they use a 4th round pick on him?  I don't know, incompentance, stupidity, pick your word choice (they made a terrible pick).

2.) He started 3 games in 2019 and went 0-3.  In those three starts he ended up with a 47.1 completion percentage and threw for 474 yards on 87 attempts.  He produced a 62.1 rating, which is almost unheard of in the modern game.

The fact of the matter is he just isn't a very good QB.  Honestly, he probably doesn't belong in this league.  We won the Steelers game because of our defense, and because of his limitations as a passer, we were forced to establish a run game.  Lucky for us, it worked.

They traded up in the 4th to draft him too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
What do you say about this, Kevin?

2020 Bengals with Burrow starting..... .250 Win%
2020 Bengals with Finley/Allen.......... .333 Win%
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 02:28 PM)jason Wrote: They traded up in the 4th to draft him too.

Bengals took Finley in the 4th for the same reason Josh Rosen and Paxton Lynch were both taken in the first round.  It is very difficult to evaluate how college QBs will perform at the NFL level.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 02:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What do you say about this, Kevin?

2020 Bengals with Burrow starting..... .250 Win%
2020 Bengals with Finley/Allen.......... .333 Win%

Only thing we can say for sure is that all 3 of them are losers Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 01:02 PM)kevin Wrote: Ryan Finley started in 1 game in 2020 at QB against the Steelers who were huge favorites to win. With Finley at QB, an awful Bengals team won a game, beat The Steelers which is rare, and it might have been a Prime Time Game which Bengals never win.

So the questions I have are :  Why did Bengals under Zac Taylor draft Finley in the 4th round in 2019 draft ?   Why would you bench same QB after beating The Steelers in Prime Time ?

I think there is one rule starting to show up on Bengals. DON'T WIN.  If you WIN, you get Benched.  This is a team with one goal, LOSE EVERY GAME.

Now some will come on here and say Finley is awful.  If so, why did Bengals use a 4th round pick on him when we needed other draft help ?   Again, the only game he started, he beat The Steelers in Prime Time, and he got sent to the bench because lord knows we don't want to beat the Steelers or anybody else. As Bengals hype Allen, it shows they don't care that Bengals beat Steelers starting Finley.  On Bengals there is one rule, NEVER WIN. If you win, you will be punished.

Umm, the Bengals won the very next game with Brandon Allen at QB. Finley only started the Steelers game because Allen was hurt, IIRC. So while Allen isn't good, Finley is just worse.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Allen did throw for 371 yards and 2 TDs in the Next game.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 01:19 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: This is silly. Finley completed 53% of his passes for 89 yards and a touchdown. That is pretty pathetic. He did have a nice game running with 47 yards and a touchdown. He was benched because he wasn’t impressive. That game shows the kind of parity in the NFL. The Bengals did win, but it was an improbable win and that kind of performance from your QB is going to lose you the game more often than not. Allen gave the best chance at victory, so he was played afterwards.

No doubt. Finley didn't win that game LMAO!!!

Allen is way better than Finley. We won that game by running the ball on them and getting turnovers.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 05:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt. Finley didn't win that game LMAO!!!

Allen is way better than Finley. We won that game by running the ball on them and getting turnovers.

And Allen is still not a good backup QB.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 05:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And Allen is still not a good backup QB.

True, he looked good 1 game though, more then I can say for Finley...
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 06:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, he looked good 1 game though, more then I can say for Finley...

HOU had a worse defense than the Bengals, so it's hard to even give credit for that game IMO.

Let's look at his stats in the other 4 games outside of that:
DAL (who had about as bad of a defense as the Bengals) - just 217 yards with 1 TD on 36 pass attempts, but Bengals lost 7-30.
NYG - 58.6% completion, 136 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. 67.6 rating
MIA - 57.9% completion, 153 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. 79.5 rating
BAL - 28.5% completion, 48 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT. 0.0 rating

NYG, MIA, and BAL were all Top 10 defenses in Points Allowed. NYG was 12th in Yards Allowed and BAL was Top 10 in Yards Allowed. MIA was 20th in Yards allowed.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 07:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: HOU had a worse defense than the Bengals, so it's hard to even give credit for that game IMO.

Let's look at his stats in the other 4 games outside of that:
DAL (who had about as bad of a defense as the Bengals) - just 217 yards with 1 TD on 36 pass attempts, but Bengals lost 7-30.
NYG - 58.6% completion, 136 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. 67.6 rating
MIA - 57.9% completion, 153 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. 79.5 rating
BAL - 28.5% completion, 48 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT. 0.0 rating

NYG, MIA, and BAL were all Top 10 defenses in Points Allowed. NYG was 12th in Yards Allowed and BAL was Top 10 in Yards Allowed. MIA was 20th in Yards allowed.

Dude is a journeyman backup playing behind arguably one of the Worst Olines of all time... he did alright for what he was handed. He’s a backup...
Reply/Quote
This ridiculous thread isn't worth a serious response.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 10:12 PM)Fullrock Wrote: This ridiculous thread isn't worth a serious response.

Said some guy...  Via response.  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote