Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Blocked FG
Just watched this highlight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylmcV5IwefM#t=10m43s

I'm sorry, but...
The refs blew that call.  McRae timed it, PERFECTLY.
He moves at the exact INSTANT the ball does, and is not across the line of scrimmage until the ball (circled in red)
is well on its way...

[Image: b9oxKWI.jpg]

Just because a defense player MOVES before (or simultaneously with) the snap, does NOT mean they are offsides.
I know this seems like nit-picking, but I umpire baseball and softball, and one thing I HATE is when officials "assume" or "guess!"
Reply/Quote
No. And it really wasn't even close. Very easy offsides call
Reply/Quote
He starts moving at the exact second the center starts snapping the ball, if he was in fact offsides it's like his hand and that's it. It's one of those calls that could go either way. Very, very, close.

And it's not a punt btw
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 10:54 AM)Sweetness Wrote: No. And it really wasn't even close. Very easy offsides call

You must be thinking about the SECOND offsides call.

The FIRST one was INCORRECT!

Did you even look at the picture?  McRae's helmet is still BEHIND the rest of the defensive line, and the ball HAS BEEN SNAPPED.
Reply/Quote
It was close, gotta give Tony some love for the effort.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 11:07 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And it's not a punt btw

Doh!  I knew the Bengals had a punt blocked... got my wires crossed.
Fixed it via edit, thanks!
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 11:17 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It was close, gotta give Tony some love for the effort.

Yep...had no problem with the gamble as the 5 yard penalty was not gonna matter anyways (unless dude missed field goal, then I would've been griping about it!).
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 10:13 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Just watched this highlight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylmcV5IwefM#t=10m43s

I'm sorry, but...
The refs blew that call.  McRae timed it, PERFECTLY.
He moves at the exact INSTANT the ball does, and is not across the line of scrimmage until the ball (circled in red)
is well on its way...

[Image: b9oxKWI.jpg]

Just because a defense player MOVES before (or simultaneously with) the snap, does NOT mean they are offsides.
I know this seems like nit-picking, but I umpire baseball and softball, and one thing I HATE is when officials "assume" or "guess!"

I think there was some assuming going on there.  They assumed that he got there so fast that he must have been offsides.  This photo proves otherwise.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 12:15 PM)McC Wrote: I think there was some assuming going on there.  They assumed that he got there so fast that he must have been offsides.  This photo proves otherwise.

Agree

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 12:30 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree
McRae played very well during pre-season and again yesterday. He deserves more playing time. He is a play maker, and puts the effort.
Reply/Quote
The photo doesn't prove that the two started moving at the exact same moment in real-time. You would need a video to prove that. All the photograph is able to prove is that the two were in motion at the exact moment the picture was taken. McRae could have been moving first.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 12:46 PM)Big Boss Wrote: The photo doesn't prove that the two started moving at the exact same moment in real-time.  You would need a video to prove that.  All the photograph is able to prove is that the two were in motion at the exact moment the picture was taken.  McRae could have been moving first.

Not so sure about that.  The ball has already traveled about a yard and McCrae's hand is barely at the LOS.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 12:46 PM)Big Boss Wrote: The photo doesn't prove that the two started moving at the exact same moment in real-time.  You would need a video to prove that.  All the photograph is able to prove is that the two were in motion at the exact moment the picture was taken.  McRae could have been moving first.

Movement by a defensive player isn't a penalty. The issue is was he across the line before the center started snapping the ball ?
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 12:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Movement by a defensive player isn't a penalty. The issue is was he across the line before the center started snapping the ball ?

I see.  Rep for the clarity.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I might be mistaken, but McCrae moves when the center actually lifts the ball up during the snap, in the video.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 12:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Movement by a defensive player isn't a penalty. The issue is was he across the line before the center started snapping the ball ?

Either way, the photo still doesn't prove anything because it's being taken from a pretty drastic angle. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 12:59 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Either way, the photo still doesn't prove anything because it's being taken from a pretty drastic angle. 

But look where the ball is.  That's the key.  It's already on its way.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 12:59 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Either way, the photo still doesn't prove anything because it's being taken from a pretty drastic angle. 

Oh I agree but if you watch the play in real time you can see the center starting the snap at damn near exactly the same time he starts moving. If he was across the line when the ball starts moving it was like his left hand or whatever.

It's a call that can go either way. I'd bet if you set that exact play up with the exact timing 10 times with 10 different set of refs it wouldn't get called on half of them.

But oh well, it got called
Reply/Quote
It occurs to me that it might be better that he didn't get the block. If the block stood, maybe we just kick a FG to take the lead at 34-33 and leave the Falcons way too much time.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 01:07 PM)McC Wrote: But look where the ball is.  That's the key.  It's already on its way.

Yes, but you cant see where he is in relation to the LOS. On the replays they showed during the game it looked without a doubt he was offsides and it wasn't really even close. They showed angles of it pretty much straight on and not from an angle behind the QB. And in actual slow motion not just one still shot photo
Reply/Quote